2017-18 Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2017-18 Basketball Thread

Post by Markeke »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 pm Kalaheo's magic ran out. Moanalua's next opponent will be us.

Meanwhile, the Kahuku-Maryknoll game is appealing!
Robinson and McRavin as a fresh and soph look great. But they need to mature. Moanalua needs to play smart ball.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 pm Kalaheo's magic ran out. Moanalua's next opponent will be us.

Meanwhile, the Kahuku-Maryknoll game is appealing!
Robinson and McRavin as a fresh and soph look great. But they need to mature. Moanalua needs to play smart ball.
@Markeke: I would LOVE to see Moanalua beat Punahou, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou vs. Kahuku

Go Puns!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Almost two rematches. I think Punahou takes it and Saint Francis repeats

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Should be a great D1 Championship game. Kahuku is physical and long, while Punahou is faster. Tolu Smith had 17 points, but just as impressive, limited Tobin and Cain to 6 points total, several block shots and forcing some off balance shots. So for Kahuku, it starts with Smith.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

One fact I know is that it would hurt like hell to lose three straight championship games.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:03 pm One fact I know is that it would hurt like hell to lose three straight championship games.
@gopunahou: You know that I think very highly of you, but I simply cannot say the same for your alma mater. I gotta back Kahuku.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

I agree with HS Football Fanatic. Punahou got what, 11 titles? I'm trynna see Kahuku go back to back and win their second state championship despite my earlier predictions. Go Big Red!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:31 pm I agree with HS Football Fanatic. Punahou got what, 11 titles? I'm trynna see Kahuku go back to back and win their second state championship despite my earlier predictions. Go Big Red!
@Naz: It's not only basketball. If you look at all the sports, Punahou rips off more league and state titles every year than any other school, and this has been going-on for decades. I simply resent it. I simply don't want them taking any more titles.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Markeke wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 pm Should be a great D1 Championship game. Kahuku is physical and long, while Punahou is faster. Tolu Smith had 17 points, but just as impressive, limited Tobin and Cain to 6 points total, several block shots and forcing some off balance shots. So for Kahuku, it starts with Smith.
Yes Punahou is FASTER. Great game till the second quarter. Lol. Then Aloha....too much players. Punahou has to many quality players. Kahuku ran outta gas. Punahou hitting everything in the house. Congrats to Punahou.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

We did it!

So many parallels with this year's BB team to the 2013 FB team, which also lost two straight championship games before taking it home!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

I was at the game last night. I realize this generation nowadays is the "look at me generation" that wants the spotlight on themselves but this Punahou team is not the easiest to root for. They are cocky as heck and showboat any chance they get. Was hoping Kahuku was gonna give them a slice of humble pie but oh well. Punahou should be grateful they had the MUCH easier path to the finals and that Kahuku took care of Maryknoll who beat them twice. Maryknoll would've been the tougher head-to-head matchup for them. The entire state can breathe a sigh of relief as Smith, who is only 17 and would be eligible to have had another year if he was held back to play, is a senior.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:07 am I was at the game last night. I realize this generation nowadays is the "look at me generation" that wants the spotlight on themselves but this Punahou team is not the easiest to root for. They are cocky as heck and showboat any chance they get. Was hoping Kahuku was gonna give them a slice of humble pie but oh well. Punahou should be grateful they had the MUCH easier path to the finals and that Kahuku took care of Maryknoll who beat them twice. Maryknoll would've been the tougher head-to-head matchup for them. The entire state can breathe a sigh of relief as Smith, who is only 17 and would be eligible to have had another year if he was held back to play, is a senior.
@Naz: It's not Punahou's cockiness that annoys me, as any school can have a cocky team. What annoys me is the number of league and state titles in many sports that Punahou wins every year, and now here's another one. As for Smith leaving, I don't know that people should be relieved about that. Kahuku may always be good in football and boys' basketball, but that's about it. What about schools like Punahou, which rips off titles in many more sports every year?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:41 pm @Naz: It's not Punahou's cockiness that annoys me, as any school can have a cocky team. What annoys me is the number of league and state titles in many sports that Punahou wins every year, and now here's another one. As for Smith leaving, I don't know that people should be relieved about that. Kahuku may always be good in football and boys' basketball, but that's about it. What about schools like Punahou, which rips off titles in many more sports every year?
I don't understand what annoys you in regards to them winning. Can't do much about that except to beat them, right? If they win, that's the bottom line there's nothing really to say after that. But what irks me is that I can't recall a team that showboated as much as this Punahou team - especially with a style of play that involves playing stall ball and flopping on both ends of the court. It was like watching a boxer get up on points and then spend the last 4-5 rounds throwing only jabs and running from his opponent. That is primarily why I refuse to pay to go see any two ILH teams play basketball until a shot clock becomes implemented (which it won't). Side notes: Moanalua is going to be tough next season. Other than Kahuku's Smith who is already committed, I don't see any D1 caliber players in Hawai'i.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:10 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:41 pm @Naz: It's not Punahou's cockiness that annoys me, as any school can have a cocky team. What annoys me is the number of league and state titles in many sports that Punahou wins every year, and now here's another one. As for Smith leaving, I don't know that people should be relieved about that. Kahuku may always be good in football and boys' basketball, but that's about it. What about schools like Punahou, which rips off titles in many more sports every year?
I don't understand what annoys you in regards to them winning. Can't do much about that except to beat them, right? If they win, that's the bottom line there's nothing really to say after that. But what irks me is that I can't recall a team that showboated as much as this Punahou team - especially with a style of play that involves playing stall ball and flopping on both ends of the court. It was like watching a boxer get up on points and then spend the last 4-5 rounds throwing only jabs and running from his opponent. That is primarily why I refuse to pay to go see any two ILH teams play basketball until a shot clock becomes implemented (which it won't). Side notes: Moanalua is going to be tough next season. Other than Kahuku's Smith who is already committed, I don't see any D1 caliber players in Hawai'i.
@Naz: What? When a school keeps winning in lots of sports, most guys who aren't alumni of that school, resent it. Of all the people I know who aren't Punahou alumni, only ONE would support Punahou anyway, and that's because she (she's a woman) always supports ILH schools. She's an ILH homer. Of the dozens of other guys I know who aren't Punahou alumni, NONE like that school. "Can't do much...except to beat them..."? Well, every school goes into a game hoping to win. No one plays to lose. That isn't the issue.