2017-18 Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2017-18 Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:49 pm @Naz: What? When a school keeps winning in lots of sports, most guys who aren't alumni of that school, resent it. Of all the people I know who aren't Punahou alumni, only ONE would support Punahou anyway, and that's because she (she's a woman) always supports ILH schools. She's an ILH homer. Of the dozens of other guys I know who aren't Punahou alumni, NONE like that school. "Can't do much...except to beat them..."? Well, every school goes into a game hoping to win. No one plays to lose. That isn't the issue.
I can't stand Punahou winning any more than the people you speak about. I myself am an ILH graduate. But if Punahou (or Iolani for that matter) wins the ILH or state title in a sport, what would you like to be done about it? It's done. They won. Nothing left to say. If don't want to have to resent a Punahou or Iolani championship, then the only thing to do as I mentioned is beat them at their own game. I realize easier said than done as the ILH schools basically get to pick from the cream of the crop athletes across the island. This is the very reason why I loved every second of last year's boy's basketball championship game where Kahuku beat them at their own game and had a much talented roster come in and basically deny the state title that Punahou would've won. This year, Punahou won. Not much to do but hope another team either rebuilds or develops players to be a threat to them next season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:23 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:49 pm @Naz: What? When a school keeps winning in lots of sports, most guys who aren't alumni of that school, resent it. Of all the people I know who aren't Punahou alumni, only ONE would support Punahou anyway, and that's because she (she's a woman) always supports ILH schools. She's an ILH homer. Of the dozens of other guys I know who aren't Punahou alumni, NONE like that school. "Can't do much...except to beat them..."? Well, every school goes into a game hoping to win. No one plays to lose. That isn't the issue.
I can't stand Punahou winning any more than the people you speak about. I myself am an ILH graduate. But if Punahou (or Iolani for that matter) wins the ILH or state title in a sport, what would you like to be done about it? It's done. They won. Nothing left to say. If don't want to have to resent a Punahou or Iolani championship, then the only thing to do as I mentioned is beat them at their own game. I realize easier said than done as the ILH schools basically get to pick from the cream of the crop athletes across the island. This is the very reason why I loved every second of last year's boy's basketball championship game where Kahuku beat them at their own game and had a much talented roster come in and basically deny the state title that Punahou would've won. This year, Punahou won. Not much to do but hope another team either rebuilds or develops players to be a threat to them next season.
@Naz: Well, I'm glad that you and I are pretty much on the same page regarding Punahou School. Apparently, where we disagree is this notion of finality and "doneness." Obviously, if Punahou School or Iolani School wins a league title or state title, there's nothing that can be done about it; we can't go back in time and undo it somehow. I guess the problem as I see it is how the effect of that win lingers, in the form or frustration. Apparently, you are able to kiss it off simply because nothing can be done about that win; it's "done." For me, the fact that that win is inalterable, isn't enough. The frustration and resentment it engendered, still lingers.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Picks for Coach & Player's of the Year, anybody?

Mine are:
Coaches of the Year
ILH: Ryan Hirata - Mid-Pac (or Kelly Grant).
OIA East: Brandyn Akana - Kahuku
OIA West: Kapolei coach

Players of the Year *I felt Smith should've been named the Most Outstanding POY of the state tournament
OIA East: Tolu Smith
OIA West: Zoar Nedd
ILH: Chong
OVERALL STAR ADVERTISER & GATORADE: Tolu Smith

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Damn, what if Tolu Smith came over last year? I would imagine even the IOLANI Classic would have been in reach. The thing about Tolu is he is so humble. Never ever questions a ref. Never even gets in another players face after a block or dunk. He just runs down and plays. Yes he is POY.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

anyone notice sol-jay wasn't there for kahuku the last three games of the tournament.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:29 pm Damn, what if Tolu Smith came over last year? I would imagine even the IOLANI Classic would have been in reach. The thing about Tolu is he is so humble. Never ever questions a ref. Never even gets in another players face after a block or dunk. He just runs down and plays. Yes he is POY.
@Markeke: Contrast that with the cocky players on Punahou's team. Smith is not only a great basketball player, but a great ROLE MODEL for the underclassmen.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:45 pm anyone notice sol-jay wasn't there for kahuku the last three games of the tournament.
@Neighbor: Heck, I didn't even know he was on the basketball team. DON'T TELL ME HE TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER SCHOOL. I want him to stay on Kahuku's football team to help Kahuku win the state Open title.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 pm
Markeke wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:29 pm Damn, what if Tolu Smith came over last year? I would imagine even the IOLANI Classic would have been in reach. The thing about Tolu is he is so humble. Never ever questions a ref. Never even gets in another players face after a block or dunk. He just runs down and plays. Yes he is POY.
@Markeke: Contrast that with the cocky players on Punahou's team. Smith is not only a great basketball player, but a great ROLE MODEL for the underclassmen.
Don't make it sound like all of our guys are mini-Infidels.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Regarding St. Francis, I hope their reason for staying in D2 does not stem from wanting to be the "big fish in the little pond". They haven't existed too many years and can build something greater, even with a small enrollment.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:42 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 pm
Don't make it sound like all of our guys are mini-Infidels.
@gopunahou: OK, you got me. I read a post--think it was on THIS thread--that Punahou was really cocky in the title game. But, I didn't say all their players are cocky.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 pm Regarding St. Francis, I hope their reason for staying in D2 does not stem from wanting to be the "big fish in the little pond". They haven't existed too many years and can build something greater, even with a small enrollment.
@gopunahou: I think everyone knows that they belong in D1. I think Damien alumni must be pissed, in that if St Francis were in D2, where they belong, Damien might very well be state D2 champs right now. And, I don't know what happened to Kahuku in the D1 title game. I mean, they beat Maryknoll, and Maryknoll beat your alma mater for the ILH title. Was Kahuku off? If so, they picked a fine night to be off. Kahuku alumni, like Damien alumni, must be pissed. Like, it was OK for them to lose, but not by that margin. They embarrassed not only themselves, but Kahuku High.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 pm Regarding St. Francis, I hope their reason for staying in D2 does not stem from wanting to be the "big fish in the little pond". They haven't existed too many years and can build something greater, even with a small enrollment.
@gopunahou: I think everyone knows that they belong in D1. I think Damien alumni must be pissed, in that if St Francis were in D2, where they belong, Damien might very well be state D2 champs right now. And, I don't know what happened to Kahuku in the D1 title game. I mean, they beat Maryknoll, and Maryknoll beat your alma mater for the ILH title. Was Kahuku off? If so, they picked a fine night to be off. Kahuku alumni, like Damien alumni, must be pissed. Like, it was OK for them to lose, but not by that margin. They embarrassed not only themselves, but Kahuku High.
Maybe playing Maryknoll took a lot of gas out of them. But the fact is, we punched in the mouth so hard early on that they couldn't respond. They seemed shell-shocked and frustrated.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:22 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm
[/quote]

Maybe playing Maryknoll took a lot of gas out of them. But the fact is, we punched in the mouth so hard early on that they couldn't respond. They seemed shell-shocked and frustrated.
@gopunahou: But, that's the thing. Kahuku had no business being shell-shocked and frustrated. Not a team of their caliber. Not after beating the schools they beat just to get to that game. They did Kahuku High a disservice; Kahuku High and its alumni deserved better than that. You know, gopunahou, that I am no fan of your alma mater. I was pulling for Kahuku, and I was royally pissed by their performance. I can't even begin to imagine how pissed Kahuku alumni are; I'm not even a Kahuku alumnus myself, and I'm pissed. That game left a very bad taste in my mouth; I still resent what happened.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I can guarantee that we would've been pissed and demanding Matsuda's removal had we lost. It would've been the third time in a row. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

But I do feel for Kahuku fans, since they've watched their team lose a final in football and basketball. Has that ever happened before Friday?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:44 pm I can guarantee that we would've been pissed and demanding Matsuda's removal had we lost. It would've been the third time in a row. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

But I do feel for Kahuku fans, since they've watched their team lose a final in football and basketball. Has that ever happened before Friday?
@gopunahou: I'm not sure Punahou would have doodoo-canned Matsuda if they lost. After all, he took them all the way to the title game. As for Kahuku, well, the football final saw them losing in a squeaker. But the basketball final stank. Basically, Kahuku's basketball team stank-out the Stan. I'm saying again that they had no business losing that badly. Again, they had beaten Maryknoll, and Maryknoll had beaten Punahou for the ILH title. OK, lose, but not that badly. I was bitterly disappointed.