2017-18 Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2017-18 Basketball Thread

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 pm Regarding St. Francis, I hope their reason for staying in D2 does not stem from wanting to be the "big fish in the little pond". They haven't existed too many years and can build something greater, even with a small enrollment.
@gopunahou: I think everyone knows that they belong in D1. I think Damien alumni must be pissed, in that if St Francis were in D2, where they belong, Damien might very well be state D2 champs right now. And, I don't know what happened to Kahuku in the D1 title game. I mean, they beat Maryknoll, and Maryknoll beat your alma mater for the ILH title. Was Kahuku off? If so, they picked a fine night to be off. Kahuku alumni, like Damien alumni, must be pissed. Like, it was OK for them to lose, but not by that margin. They embarrassed not only themselves, but Kahuku High.
What is surprising is that St. Francis backers haven't come on here and defended their presence in D2. I wonder if I should give that time.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 pm Regarding St. Francis, I hope their reason for staying in D2 does not stem from wanting to be the "big fish in the little pond". They haven't existed too many years and can build something greater, even with a small enrollment.
@gopunahou: I think everyone knows that they belong in D1. I think Damien alumni must be pissed, in that if St Francis were in D2, where they belong, Damien might very well be state D2 champs right now. And, I don't know what happened to Kahuku in the D1 title game. I mean, they beat Maryknoll, and Maryknoll beat your alma mater for the ILH title. Was Kahuku off? If so, they picked a fine night to be off. Kahuku alumni, like Damien alumni, must be pissed. Like, it was OK for them to lose, but not by that margin. They embarrassed not only themselves, but Kahuku High.
What is surprising is that St. Francis backers haven't come on here and defended their presence in D2. I wonder if I should give that time.
@gopunahou: You know what I think? St Francis has been coed for only some ten years or so; before that, they were a girls' school for decades. Notice that very few women seem to post on this message-board. I think that's the reason; there aren't enough St Francis male alumni, and/or they're not really old enough to care enough to post here. But, their basketball team should be in D1. Their unjustified presence in D2 cost Damien the state D2 title.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

St Francis loses their big guy up front. Not much size left over. Unless they have some giants hiding on the JV and intermediate teams, Bubba Akana the only one returning over 6' and I presume he might not play football and basketball next year just to focus on baseball and not risk any injury. Having a guy like Cameron Ng is enough to dominate D2, but is it enough to win in D1? Does that matter though? Regardless if they can win the ILH D1, if they can compete, they should compete, like they showed against Punahou and Kamehameha in the preseason. But I guess some of that does depend on who's coming in for next year

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:29 pm St Francis loses their big guy up front. Not much size left over. Unless they have some giants hiding on the JV and intermediate teams, Bubba Akana the only one returning over 6' and I presume he might not play football and basketball next year just to focus on baseball and not risk any injury. Having a guy like Cameron Ng is enough to dominate D2, but is it enough to win in D1? Does that matter though? Regardless if they can win the ILH D1, if they can compete, they should compete, like they showed against Punahou and Kamehameha in the preseason. But I guess some of that does depend on who's coming in for next year
@Neighbor: Well, I don't know if St Francis should be in D1 next year, but they should have been in D1 this year. Again, Damien alumni have reason to be bitter about that.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

The coach has blown so much smoke up his team's rear end the past 2 seasons that all the Hawai'i prep sports outlets and even the local sportscasters have bought into the hype behind Saint Francis and their scoring guard. I can only roll my eyes when a coach snaps his team up the way Durant does, enjoys all the publicity and spotlight of being the big fish in the small pond at D2, and then when he gets asked if he's going to D1 states that only if he gets a lineup that most teams don't have anyway. Again, if you're gonna hype up your team and call your leading scorer the best player in the state (KHON2 called him the "top dog" in the state), then move up to the highest division in the state and prove yourselves there! I mean, crap, scoringlive has this team ranked 2nd in the state. That is disrespectful to every ILH D1 team in particular.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm @gopunahou: I think everyone knows that they belong in D1. I think Damien alumni must be pissed, in that if St Francis were in D2, where they belong, Damien might very well be state D2 champs right now. And, I don't know what happened to Kahuku in the D1 title game. I mean, they beat Maryknoll, and Maryknoll beat your alma mater for the ILH title. Was Kahuku off? If so, they picked a fine night to be off. Kahuku alumni, like Damien alumni, must be pissed. Like, it was OK for them to lose, but not by that margin. They embarrassed not only themselves, but Kahuku High.
People are surprised that Kahuku got dominated in the state championship game. I think the real fact that people should be more surprised by is that Kahuku actually made it back to the championship game with basically a brand new roster of Tolu Smith and all of the previous season's third string players. Add to the fact that they had to beat the #1 seed, Maryknoll, to do it. I was absolutely surprised Kahuku pulled that off. Everything, for one night, clicked for them when they beat Maryknoll. All the things that worked for them against Maryknoll was nowhere to be found when they played Punahou. And people also need to remember that this is a Punahou team that has been to the title game that past 3 seasons and returned most of their contributors from last season. People are coming down on Kahuku because of the score but it was impressive they even got to the title game. Punahou has two teams to thank: Kalaheo for winning the OIA and thus giving Punahou an easier quarter-final game than Maryknoll and Kahuku for eliminating #1 Maryknoll a team who beat them twice before.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:02 pm The coach has blown so much smoke up his team's rear end the past 2 seasons that all the Hawai'i prep sports outlets and even the local sportscasters have bought into the hype behind Saint Francis and their scoring guard. I can only roll my eyes when a coach snaps his team up the way Durant does, enjoys all the publicity and spotlight of being the big fish in the small pond at D2, and then when he gets asked if he's going to D1 states that only if he gets a lineup that most teams don't have anyway. Again, if you're gonna hype up your team and call your leading scorer the best player in the state (KHON2 called him the "top dog" in the state), then move up to the highest division in the state and prove yourselves there! I mean, crap, scoringlive has this team ranked 2nd in the state. That is disrespectful to every ILH D1 team in particular.
@Naz: Well, there are some high-school coaches here in Hawaii who love to talk big. That kind of thing is usually frowned-upon here in modest, laid-back Hawaii. I strongly suspect that Durant is probably bad-mouthed privately by most high-school boys' basketball coaches here. I say that with some degree of confidence because there's a high-school girls' basketball coach here who is kind of like Durant. I'm not going to mention his name, nor will I mention which league the school he coaches is in. But, I know another girls' basketball coach who told me that that coach isn't thought-of highly.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 pm
Naz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:02 pm The coach has blown so much smoke up his team's rear end the past 2 seasons that all the Hawai'i prep sports outlets and even the local sportscasters have bought into the hype behind Saint Francis and their scoring guard. I can only roll my eyes when a coach snaps his team up the way Durant does, enjoys all the publicity and spotlight of being the big fish in the small pond at D2, and then when he gets asked if he's going to D1 states that only if he gets a lineup that most teams don't have anyway. Again, if you're gonna hype up your team and call your leading scorer the best player in the state (KHON2 called him the "top dog" in the state), then move up to the highest division in the state and prove yourselves there! I mean, crap, scoringlive has this team ranked 2nd in the state. That is disrespectful to every ILH D1 team in particular.
@Naz: Well, there are some high-school coaches here in Hawaii who love to talk big. That kind of thing is usually frowned-upon here in modest, laid-back Hawaii. I strongly suspect that Durant is probably bad-mouthed privately by most high-school boys' basketball coaches here. I say that with some degree of confidence because there's a high-school girls' basketball coach here who is kind of like Durant. I'm not going to mention his name, nor will I mention which league the school he coaches is in. But, I know another girls' basketball coach who told me that that coach isn't thought-of highly.
I wonder if Durant is mad that he ain't the most famous Durant in basketball. :D
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 pm
I wonder if Durant is mad that he ain't the most famous Durant in basketball. :D
@gopunahou: I think Durant would be even less well-received if he were coaching a school other than St Francis. My impression is that not that many guys dislike St Francis School. I'm certainly OK with them.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Which teams might be favorites next year?

We return a bunch of great players and will bring in a great freshman guard.

Iolani loses Genovia but brings back a lot of guys. I think this past year was a down year for them.

Who might be OIA favorites?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:43 pm Which teams might be favorites next year?

Iolani loses Genovia but brings back a lot of guys. I think this past year was a down year for them.

@gopunahou: In the OIA, wouldn't it be Kahuku? Isn't Smith the only outstanding player they lose to graduation? As for the ILH, please, don't tell me your alma mater will take it. Sorry.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:43 pm Which teams might be favorites next year?

I have to believe Moanalua has a lot going for them in the next coming years and I see them as the team to beat they'll only get more experienced. I'm giving Kahuku 2 years until they are contenders again. I think a lot of the ILH's talent is leaving due to graduation this season so I see the OIA and ILH as pretty even in the next coming years. I would love to see Mid-Pac emerge as the ILH winners next season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:17 pm

I have to believe Moanalua has a lot going for them in the next coming years and I see them as the team to beat they'll only get more experienced. I'm giving Kahuku 2 years until they are contenders again. I think a lot of the ILH's talent is leaving due to graduation this season so I see the OIA and ILH as pretty even in the next coming years. I would love to see Mid-Pac emerge as the ILH winners next season.
@Naz: But do you think Mid-Pac can win ILH D1?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:04 am
@Naz: But do you think Mid-Pac can win ILH D1?
I don't see why not. They return a lot of players. 4/5 of their leading scorers should be returning. I give them a fighting chance in what will be an unpredictable ILH next season. I think the OIA will have the edge in talent next season, though. Btw, nobody gave their picks for POYs.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

St Francis going up to D1. Now everybody happy