2017-18 Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2017-18 Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:44 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:34 pm
Oops. After last night's games, gotta make adjustments to my Top 10:

1. Punahou 2. Kailua 3. Kamehameha 4. St Francis 5. Kapolei 6. Maryknoll 7. Iolani 8. Kahuku 9. Kalaheo 10. Farrington.
I'd assume the best way to rank in pre-season is to compare head-to-head games, games vs common opponents, and "strength" of pre-season schedules. Just for the sake of pure discussion, I have to ask what is your rationale for having Kailua ahead of two teams that they have lost to in your top 10 (Iolani and St. Francis) and one spot ahead of Kamehameha who beat St. Francis by 5 (Kailua lost to them by 15). Secondly, how do you justify Kapolei ahead of a team that beat them by 23?
Wellp. Time to adjust my Top 10 again, to account for today's games in the Iolani Classic:

1. Punahou 2. Kapolei 3. Kailua 4. Kamehameha 5. St Francis 6. Maryknoll 7. Iolani 8. Kahuku 9. Farrington. 10. Kalaheo

Kamehameha sucked, losing by 6 to (previously) #5 Kapolei. Maryknoll beat Kalaheo by 20, so I'm dropping Kalaheo to #10. Today, in the Iolani Classic, Kamehameha and Kalaheo were the biggest disappointments. Kamehameha decided to be sucky and inconsistent yet again, and this time it cost them the game. So, I made Kamehameha pay for their suckiness by dropping them one rank, from #3 to #4. They weren't supposed to lose to Kapolei. As for Kalaheo, well, it's just that I didn't want them to lose to Maryknoll. I'm not particularly fond of Maryknoll. I mean, I could see Kalaheo losing to them, but by 20? Come on, Kalaheo. You're on the verge of falling out of my Top 10. Let's go. (I kind of like Kalaheo).

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Wellp. Time to adjust my Top 10 again, to account for today's games in the Iolani Classic:

1. Punahou 2. Kapolei 3. Kailua 4. Kamehameha 5. St Francis 6. Maryknoll 7. Iolani 8. Kahuku 9. Farrington. 10. Kalaheo

Kamehameha sucked, losing by 6 to (previously) #5 Kapolei. Maryknoll beat Kalaheo by 20, so I'm dropping Kalaheo to #10. Today, in the Iolani Classic, Kamehameha and Kalaheo were the biggest disappointments. Kamehameha decided to be sucky and inconsistent yet again, and this time it cost them the game. So, I made Kamehameha pay for their suckiness by dropping them one rank, from #3 to #4. They weren't supposed to lose to Kapolei. As for Kalaheo, well, it's just that I didn't want them to lose to Maryknoll. I'm not particularly fond of Maryknoll. I mean, I could see Kalaheo losing to them, but by 20? Come on, Kalaheo. You're on the verge of falling out of my Top 10. Let's go. (I kind of like Kalaheo).
Wow you must REALLY dislike Kamehameha, huh? Lol. I think they are inconsistent as well to the point that I can see them not even finishing top 2 in the ILH anymore but I would say the inconsistent label also applies to Kapolei and Kailua who you ranked ahead of them. Kapolei will basically run through the OIA West again but once they start to play the teams from the east in the OIA playoffs, they will be tested big time. I kind of saw the Kalaheo drubbing coming. Kalaheo, to me, will be a middle of the pack OIA East team. They'll be tough, but won't have answers for the cream of the crop Hawai'i schools. What were your thoughts on performances by local players at the Iolani Classic in the 1st round?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:04 am

Wow you must REALLY dislike Kamehameha, huh? Lol. I think they are inconsistent as well to the point that I can see them not even finishing top 2 in the ILH anymore but I would say the inconsistent label also applies to Kapolei and Kailua who you ranked ahead of them. Kapolei will basically run through the OIA West again but once they start to play the teams from the east in the OIA playoffs, they will be tested big time. I kind of saw the Kalaheo drubbing coming. Kalaheo, to me, will be a middle of the pack OIA East team. They'll be tough, but won't have answers for the cream of the crop Hawai'i schools. What were your thoughts on performances by local players at the Iolani Classic in the 1st round?
@Naz: Actually, I have a soft spot for Kamehameha. I mentioned that several weeks ago on one of the threads on this message-board; I remember. So, I was really frustrated to see them lose to Kapolei, and I let it all hang out. ScoringLive has Kapolei ranked six slots below Kamehameha, so I was really pissed that they not only lost, but lost by 6. If they had lost by 1 or 2, OK. But, since they lost by 6, I decided that they simply sucked. Kamehameha alumni might say, "Gee, with friends like that, who needs enemies?" (And, they might very well have a point.:)) As for individual players, I don't pay too much attention. I go by schools.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

@Naz: Actually, I have a soft spot for Kamehameha. I mentioned that several weeks ago on one of the threads on this message-board; I remember. So, I was really frustrated to see them lose to Kapolei, and I let it all hang out. ScoringLive has Kapolei ranked six slots below Kamehameha, so I was really pissed that they not only lost, but lost by 6. If they had lost by 1 or 2, OK. But, since they lost by 6, I decided that they simply sucked. Kamehameha alumni might say, "Gee, with friends like that, who needs enemies?" (And, they might very well have a point.:)) As for individual players, I don't pay too much attention. I go by schools.
Keep in mind that ScoringLive also has Kapolei ranked only one spot behind Kailua and Kailua beat them by 7 (since we're counting margin of victories). I agree Kamehameha gets bumped for that loss to Kapolei I would put them behind Maryknoll at this point. I'm definitely bumping Kalaheo out of the top 10 after reading that they lost to Kamehameha who was without all of their seniors. Kamehameha played with 6 underclassmen players and still beat a complete Kalaheo team. Also, I just asked about individual players because earlier you asked if a certain player on an ILH team should be considered a D1 player. I was waiting to see individual performances at the Iolani Classic to determine if there are any local players who are primed for the next level... I didn't see it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:39 pm
Keep in mind that ScoringLive also has Kapolei ranked only one spot behind Kailua and Kailua beat them by 7 (since we're counting margin of victories). I agree Kamehameha gets bumped for that loss to Kapolei I would put them behind Maryknoll at this point. I'm definitely bumping Kalaheo out of the top 10 after reading that they lost to Kamehameha who was without all of their seniors. Kamehameha played with 6 underclassmen players and still beat a complete Kalaheo team. Also, I just asked about individual players because earlier you asked if a certain player on an ILH team should be considered a D1 player. I was waiting to see individual performances at the Iolani Classic to determine if there are any local players who are primed for the next level... I didn't see it.
@Naz: Yeah; earlier today I had looked at the box score of the Kamehameha v Kalaheo game on ScoringLive, and noticed that most of Kamehameha's starters didn't even play. And yeah, I mentioned Kamehameha's Young in a post some time back, only because one of my colleagues was singing his praises last year. Otherwise, again, I don't really keep track of individual players. I simply hope that schools that I like, win, and schools that I don't like, lose.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Surprising that the best game didn’t happen at the Iolani Classic today but @ St. Francis, where Kahuku gave us all that we could handle. We needed a buzzer beater from Cole Arceneaux to win the game. This ought to give Kahuku some confidence that they can play with the best even with their lack of size outside of Smith.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:20 pm Surprising that the best game didn’t happen at the Iolani Classic today but @ St. Francis, where Kahuku gave us all that we could handle. We needed a buzzer beater from Cole Arceneaux to win the game. This ought to give Kahuku some confidence that they can play with the best even with their lack of size outside of Smith.
I watched it online it was a good game. It was hard to see what was going on at times because of the connection. I thought Punahou would beat Kahuku handily because this Punahou team as we all know is seasoned (won two of the past 3 ILH titles and went to the state finals back to back years) and Kahuku is basically playing with Tolu Smith and all of last seasons 3rd stringers and JV call ups. I was surprised Kahuku kept it close and had a chance at winning this. I freeze-framed the shot from ScoringLive's video, that shot by Arceneaux would have been waved off if the officials used replay as in college. Nonetheless, good game you could tell Punahou was looking for revenge from the last meeting. Remember, Punahou also beat Kahuku in pre-season last year as well. Give Kahuku time to gel more and they'll be a top 3 team in the state. I'm really looking forward to Punahou vs "Division 2" :roll: Saint Francis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:20 pm Surprising that the best game didn’t happen at the Iolani Classic today but @ St. Francis, where Kahuku gave us all that we could handle. We needed a buzzer beater from Cole Arceneaux to win the game. This ought to give Kahuku some confidence that they can play with the best even with their lack of size outside of Smith.
@gopunahou: I think that that's bad news for your alma mater. Kahuku wasn't supposed to come close to beating Punahou. Now it would appear that Punahou has to worry about losing to Maryknoll or Kamehameha in the ILH.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:56 pm
I watched it online it was a good game. It was hard to see what was going on at times because of the connection. I thought Punahou would beat Kahuku handily because this Punahou team as we all know is seasoned (won two of the past 3 ILH titles and went to the state finals back to back years) and Kahuku is basically playing with Tolu Smith and all of last seasons 3rd stringers and JV call ups. I was surprised Kahuku kept it close and had a chance at winning this. I freeze-framed the shot from ScoringLive's video, that shot by Arceneaux would have been waved off if the officials used replay as in college. Nonetheless, good game you could tell Punahou was looking for revenge from the last meeting. Remember, Punahou also beat Kahuku in pre-season last year as well. Give Kahuku time to gel more and they'll be a top 3 team in the state. I'm really looking forward to Punahou vs "Division 2" :roll: Saint Francis.
@Naz: I, too, thought that Kahuku would get their butts kicked by Punahou. Instead, they almost burst Punahou's bubble. This must have been an excruciationg loss for Kahuku alumni, but at the same time, they got to see their alma mater force Punahou to eat humble pie. But, they lost, you say. Yes, but the fact that they came that close to winning, was itself humble pie that Punahou had to eat. Likewise, it was a moral victory for Kahuku. That game quite certainly had Punahou crapping bricks. And about St Francis, for sure: If it were they playing Punahou, they would have won. If Punahou loses a game somewhere down the line, it's conceivable that D2 St Francis might get ranked ahead of them. Wouldn't that be something! I don't really dislike St Francis School; I'm kind of OK with them. Yes, I'm annoyed with them for being in D2 when they obviously shouldn't be, but I'm kind of OK with their school.

St Francis plays Punahou tonight. OK, St Francis. Here's your opportunity to really shake-up the Hawaii prep basketball world. ScoringLive has Punahou ranked #1 and your school at #5. They have Kahuku ranked #10. You saw what Kahuku did last night. Make it happen. Make it count. Now is your time. Your school is ranked 5 slots ahead of Kahuku. Make tonight count. Make every possession count. If you can build-up a lead, don't let Punahou hang-around; step on the gas and blow them out as best you can. Only a significant lead will be safe against them.
Go Saints!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think St. Francis is using the same strategy Iolani used during its FB run: playing good teams to give itself an advantage over other D2 state tournament teams. Iolani played the Big Three every year they won those titles, just not in the preseason the way St. Francis is doing.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

I think once Kahuku players gets condition to basketball and play together, they will produce. Plus Coach Akana is a high caliber coach. It's how you finish.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:10 pm I think once Kahuku players gets condition to basketball and play together, they will produce. Plus Coach Akana is a high caliber coach. It's how you finish.
@Markeke: It's so difficult to figure-out prep basketball. St Francis gave me a lump of coal for Christmas by not only losing to Punahou, but losing by 8. When, just the night before, Kahuku lost to Punahou by only 2. ScoringLive has Kahuku ranked #10, and St Francis #5. I think Kahuku should now be ranked #2. If Kahuku makes it to States, I would like to see them avenge their loss to Punahou. So, Kahuku: As Markeke said, get conditioned to basketball and play together. Your school also has a good coach in Akana, so please make it to States, and avenge your loss to Punahou.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Markeke wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:10 pm I think once Kahuku players gets condition to basketball and play together, they will produce. Plus Coach Akana is a high caliber coach. It's how you finish.
100% agree. If you remember last year in pre-season, Kahuku took losses to both Saint Francis (by about 6) and Punahou (by 10 points). Now granted, Kahuku was without 3 of its 5 starters, but still they took losses. Fast forward to last year's state championship game and we have Kahuku beating Punahou by 15. Albeit this year's Kahuku team is nowhere near as talented as last year's, give them time to gel more and they will be undoubtedly a state title-contending caliber team as long as Tolu Smith is healthy. Btw, that shot from the Kahuku game should have been waived off by the refs it was still in the player's hand at 0.0 but oh well we got a slightly entertaining title game out of it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:17 pm
100% agree. If you remember last year in pre-season, Kahuku took losses to both Saint Francis (by about 6) and Punahou (by 10 points). Now granted, Kahuku was without 3 of its 5 starters, but still they took losses. Fast forward to last year's state championship game and we have Kahuku beating Punahou by 15. Albeit this year's Kahuku team is nowhere near as talented as last year's, give them time to gel more and they will be undoubtedly a state title-contending caliber team as long as Tolu Smith is healthy. Btw, that shot from the Kahuku game should have been waived off by the refs it was still in the player's hand at 0.0 but oh well we got a slightly entertaining title game out of it.
@Naz: Glad you mentioned that that last shot was bogus. Now we know that Kahuku may have TIED or WON that game. That should give Kahuku more motivation.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

As of 12/21/17 Coach Akana is off NCAA sanctions. Technically he could apply at any D1 college. He is a well qualified coach. Kahuku is very fortunate to have his services. He is an expert of recruiting. He is an expert in getting players to the next level. Yes Avea,Fotu and Villa came from out of state last year, but Akana still coached them to the championship game. If fact it looked like they all played together for 4 years. Even Kesi Ah Hoy and Sauvao defensive skills stepped up. Now as the OIA season started and Kahuku blowing out Kalaheo, it looks like team play can be honed to near perfection. It's how you finish.