2017-18 Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2017-18 Basketball Thread

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:54 pm
Naz wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:55 pm SFS roster has three players listed at 6'3" and two players listed at 6'2". For Hawai'i prep bb, that is about on par with the majority of schools across the state. I'm not buying the SFS coach's lack of size argument.
@Naz: Well, I think you've blown St Francis' cover! They don't belong in D2.
Something tells me SFS wishes to be the big fish in the small pond. I hope none of that stems from Trumpesque narcissism!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:53 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Having speedy players was the main reason behind Iolani's FB success. Speedy players can mask a lack of big bodies (and in the case of BB, tall bodies).
@gopunahou: Well, if we're talking about running backs, OK. Other than that, though, unless Iolani's opponent had really fat and slow linemen, I think speed gets you only so far in football. Better, of course, to be fast and big, like Kamehameha's D-line the past several years. As for basketball, shorter but faster players are useful, but a school needs good perimeter shooters, too. So, if a school has short but fast players with good perimeter shooting, I think that that school can be pretty successful in basketball.
This past Iolani team was one of the few FB teams that lacked size. They've always had at least five or so big guys and between 1997-2001, had a bigger team than Punahou did. The Kiran Kepoo teams of the mid-2000s had the benefit of speed to stay with the Big Three.

On the subject of Iolani basketball, they've got a pivotal game against Kamehameha tonight (a pivotal game for both teams). KSK leads by 10 with one quarter remaining. If Iolani can't come back, they'll put themselves in a hole. A Kamehameha win will give them confidence heading into their game against us.
@gopunahou: St Francis, Maryknoll, and Kahuku have come close to beating Punahou. Kamehameha beat Iolani by 9, just a minute or so ago. I don't think that's going to be quite good enough to beat Punahou. Meanwhile, your alma mater has a more immediate concern: They're down by 2 to Mid-Pac at the half.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:33 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:54 pm
Naz wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:55 pm SFS roster has three players listed at 6'3" and two players listed at 6'2". For Hawai'i prep bb, that is about on par with the majority of schools across the state. I'm not buying the SFS coach's lack of size argument.
@Naz: Well, I think you've blown St Francis' cover! They don't belong in D2.
Something tells me SFS wishes to be the big fish in the small pond. I hope none of that stems from Trumpesque narcissism!
@gopunahou: Well, there's no reason to assume that St Francis is affected by Trump any more than any other school. I do agree with you, though, that Trump is a narcissist. Meanwhile, St Francis is THE big fish in the "small pond" of D2. But, folks like you, Naz, and I know that they don't belong there.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:42 pm @gopunahou: St Francis, Maryknoll, and Kahuku have come close to beating Punahou. Kamehameha beat Iolani by 9, just a minute or so ago. I don't think that's going to be quite good enough to beat Punahou. Meanwhile, your alma mater has a more immediate concern: They're down by 2 to Mid-Pac at the half.
We won but might've struggled to counter the slow-down strategy Mid-Pac used. Remember, Hirata is an Iolani graduate and played on teams that would slow the game down. I'm guessing Iolani will also use the same strategy against us when we play them.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:52 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:42 pm @gopunahou: St Francis, Maryknoll, and Kahuku have come close to beating Punahou. Kamehameha beat Iolani by 9, just a minute or so ago. I don't think that's going to be quite good enough to beat Punahou. Meanwhile, your alma mater has a more immediate concern: They're down by 2 to Mid-Pac at the half.
We won but might've struggled to counter the slow-down strategy Mid-Pac used. Remember, Hirata is an Iolani graduate and played on teams that would slow the game down. I'm guessing Iolani will also use the same strategy against us when we play them.
@gopunahou: Well, Iolani doesn't have Punahou's height, but they compensate with their perimeter shooting. I think the only way Iolani can beat Punahou is if they get super-hot on their perimeter shooting.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou topped Kamehameha, 66-59. Even though they lost, the fact that they gave us a hard fought game ought to give Kamehameha confidence that they are contenders. As for us, don't let this be the highlight of the year!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:31 pm Punahou topped Kamehameha, 66-59. Even though they lost, the fact that they gave us a hard fought game ought to give Kamehameha confidence that they are contenders. As for us, don't let this be the highlight of the year!
@gopunahou: Kamehameha's D and free-throw shooting both sucked.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Good chance that there could be a 3-way tie like last year in the ILH. We lost to Maryknoll tonight.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 pm Good chance that there could be a 3-way tie like last year in the ILH. We lost to Maryknoll tonight.
@gopunahou: That might very well happen. Maryknoll was without one starter last night, and was still able to beat Punahou. Against Kamehameha, that starter didn't play either. But, at the same time, Kamehameha had three starters out in that game.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Before ILH league started, I was not convinced that Kamehameha looked like a shoe-in to seal one of the two ILH state births. So far, these ILH games have not changed my mind. With Kamehameha short-handed due to ineligibilities, I think upset-minded Mid-Pac would stand a good chance at beating them now. What I'm really curious about is, in light of Kahuku not re-hiring their football coach who won an OIA title and took the team to the state title game, what happens to Kamehameha's basketball coach if he fails to get Kamehameha to states this season? If that should be the case, Kamehameha's senior class would not have been to the state tournament their entire prep playing careers under this staff.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:10 pm Before ILH league started, I was not convinced that Kamehameha looked like a shoe-in to seal one of the two ILH state births. So far, these ILH games have not changed my mind. With Kamehameha short-handed due to ineligibilities, I think upset-minded Mid-Pac would stand a good chance at beating them now. What I'm really curious about is, in light of Kahuku not re-hiring their football coach who won an OIA title and took the team to the state title game, what happens to Kamehameha's basketball coach if he fails to get Kamehameha to states this season? If that should be the case, Kamehameha's senior class would not have been to the state tournament their entire prep playing careers under this staff.
@Naz:
Well, as far as Kamehameha is concerned, the question is: Why did those three starters sit? My guess is that it was for disciplinary reasons. Those three boys screwed-up, probably, and it probably cost Kamehameha the Maryknoll game. I would estimate that those three players might have been worth about 25 points; they lost by 11. Last night, Kamehameha blew-out St Louis by 19. I don't think they could have won by that much without those three, so I'm guessing that they're back. Now, Kamehameha does a lot of things that blow my mind, but--as far as I know--they're not like Kahuku. Kamehameha doesn't see five different coaches in six years. I mean, look at how long Kamehameha basketball coach Tacon has been there already; I think this is his fourth or fifth year. So, the Kamehameha Athletic Dept seems to pass the smell test. But at the Kahuku Athletic Dept, there's (apparently) some crazy doo-doo going down; Kahuku alumni should be concerned. There's a possibility that this kind of thing can cause morale problems at their alma mater, and morale problems can grow and metastasize like a cancer.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:02 pm
@Naz:
Well, as far as Kamehameha is concerned, the question is: Why did those three starters sit? My guess is that it was for disciplinary reasons. Those three boys screwed-up, probably, and it probably cost Kamehameha the Maryknoll game. I would estimate that those three players might have been worth about 25 points; they lost by 11. Last night, Kamehameha blew-out St Louis by 19. I don't think they could have won by that much without those three, so I'm guessing that they're back. Now, Kamehameha does a lot of things that blow my mind, but--as far as I know--they're not like Kahuku. Kamehameha doesn't see five different coaches in six years. I mean, look at how long Kamehameha basketball coach Tacon has been there already; I think this is his fourth or fifth year. So, the Kamehameha Athletic Dept seems to pass the smell test. But at the Kahuku Athletic Dept, there's (apparently) some crazy doo-doo going down; Kahuku alumni should be concerned. There's a possibility that this kind of thing can cause morale problems at their alma mater, and morale problems can grow and metastasize like a cancer.
The Kamehameha-Maryknoll game was televised and the broadcasters said that Kamehameha's ppg leader was not playing as he was deemed "ineligible". At this point in the season, I can't think of any other reason other than an academic issue to be ruled ineligible like that. And indeed, that same player was not listed in the box score for the St. Louis game as well. Tacon doesn't strike me as a coach who would self-impose sanctions on his own players for disciplinary reasons especially when they lead the ILH in ppg. I only brought up Kahuku to make this point: As ridiculous as people may view it, Kahuku's A.D. refused to re-hire a coach that had a successful season, put an OIA championship title in the trophy case, and took his squad all the way to the championship game. In his first season. This is Tacon's fifth or whatever year at Kapalama and has yet to take his team to the state tournament. To have all that talent come through and still not take your team into the post-season one time is usually a deal breaker for a lot of athletic programs. My senses tell me if he doesn't take this group to the state tournament this year, I will be damn shocked if he is still their coach next season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:41 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:02 pm
@Naz:
The Kamehameha-Maryknoll game was televised and the broadcasters said that Kamehameha's ppg leader was not playing as he was deemed "ineligible". At this point in the season, I can't think of any other reason other than an academic issue to be ruled ineligible like that. And indeed, that same player was not listed in the box score for the St. Louis game as well. Tacon doesn't strike me as a coach who would self-impose sanctions on his own players for disciplinary reasons especially when they lead the ILH in ppg. I only brought up Kahuku to make this point: As ridiculous as people may view it, Kahuku's A.D. refused to re-hire a coach that had a successful season, put an OIA championship title in the trophy case, and took his squad all the way to the championship game. In his first season. This is Tacon's fifth or whatever year at Kapalama and has yet to take his team to the state tournament. To have all that talent come through and still not take your team into the post-season one time is usually a deal breaker for a lot of athletic programs. My senses tell me if he doesn't take this group to the state tournament this year, I will be damn shocked if he is still their coach next season.
@Naz: OK, but what about the other two Kamehameha starters who didn't play? And, if even only one starter didn't play, and yet they beat St Louis by 19, that says a lot for Kamehameha as a team. Still, of course, a coach will often discipline players by benching them. I, for one, can't see terminating a good coach just because he wasn't able to get to States. I personally think Tacon is a good coach. Before coaching Kamehameha, he coached Moanalua and Punahou. I'm not aware of any complaints from any of the three schools. If I were the Kamehameha AD, I'd hold on to Tacon, whether he makes it to States this year or not. As for Kahuku, again, I think the Kahuku AD needs to stop treating coaches like disposable paper plates or something. I can't think of any school that has had five different coaches in six years. You can't keep treating coaches like that. I think that if this continues, morale problems at Kahuku will ensue. Kahuku alumni might want to consider making inquiries at their alma mater as to what gives.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 pm
@Naz: OK, but what about the other two Kamehameha starters who didn't play? And, if even only one starter didn't play, and yet they beat St Louis by 19, that says a lot for Kamehameha as a team. Still, of course, a coach will often discipline players by benching them. I, for one, can't see terminating a good coach just because he wasn't able to get to States. I personally think Tacon is a good coach. Before coaching Kamehameha, he coached Moanalua and Punahou. I'm not aware of any complaints from any of the three schools. If I were the Kamehameha AD, I'd hold on to Tacon, whether he makes it to States this year or not. As for Kahuku, again, I think the Kahuku AD needs to stop treating coaches like disposable paper plates or something. I can't think of any school that has had five different coaches in six years. You can't keep treating coaches like that. I think that if this continues, morale problems at Kahuku will ensue. Kahuku alumni might want to consider making inquiries at their alma mater as to what gives.
I don't know who starts for Kamehameha, but I see that three players on Kamehameha are averaging double digits in ILH league play so far. Kamehameha played without only one of those three players for both the Maryknoll and St. Louis game. That player is the ILH leading scorer. As long as he is not on the floor, Kamehameha will struggle as they did vs Maryknoll. Beating the bottom team in the ILH by 19 is not a statistic you should be using to measure your team's worth this season. But to your point of Tacon.... if you are Mid-Pac or St. Louis, I can definitely give their coaches a pass for continuing to not make the state tournament. However, if you are a "power" school in the ILH and have the talent year after year, then a 4-year state tournament drought is grounds for re-evaluation. I'm not even saying to win a game in states. Just get there ONCE. If Kamehameha fails to get there again, Tacon would have been unable to lead this year's graduating class to one state tournament appearance. As an A.D., that is more than enough cause to consider a change in personnel. One of my main gripes with Tacon is he is so opinionated about other programs when he has issues at his own. Remember, he stirred up that controversy on his social media with Kahuku bball last season winning a game 121-18 which ultimately led to some articles in the Star Advertiser and Hawaii Prep World questioning whether or not Kahuku's victory was unsportsmanlike and classless. Yet, this season the Kamehameha Boys Varsity II team beat Waialua 101-26 and not a peep from him about that this year questioning the coaching and integrity of the program - because it was his own.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 pm
I don't know who starts for Kamehameha, but I see that three players on Kamehameha are averaging double digits in ILH league play so far. Kamehameha played without only one of those three players for both the Maryknoll and St. Louis game. That player is the ILH leading scorer. As long as he is not on the floor, Kamehameha will struggle as they did vs Maryknoll. Beating the bottom team in the ILH by 19 is not a statistic you should be using to measure your team's worth this season. But to your point of Tacon.... if you are Mid-Pac or St. Louis, I can definitely give their coaches a pass for continuing to not make the state tournament. However, if you are a "power" school in the ILH and have the talent year after year, then a 4-year state tournament drought is grounds for re-evaluation. I'm not even saying to win a game in states. Just get there ONCE. If Kamehameha fails to get there again, Tacon would have been unable to lead this year's graduating class to one state tournament appearance. As an A.D., that is more than enough cause to consider a change in personnel. One of my main gripes with Tacon is he is so opinionated about other programs when he has issues at his own. Remember, he stirred up that controversy on his social media with Kahuku bball last season winning a game 121-18 which ultimately led to some articles in the Star Advertiser and Hawaii Prep World questioning whether or not Kahuku's victory was unsportsmanlike and classless. Yet, this season the Kamehameha Boys Varsity II team beat Waialua 101-26 and not a peep from him about that this year questioning the coaching and integrity of the program - because it was his own.
@Naz: I don't know what's happening with those two starters for Kamehameha who haven't been playing. Could it be academic ineligibility? I don't know. And last night, Kamehameha beat Iolani by only 2. Now, St Louis is last, but that doesn't mean they suck. ILH D1 is a tough division, and Mid-Pac needed overtime to beat St Louis. Kamehameha may be a power basketball school, but they've got Punahou and Iolani in their division. Only two schools make it to states. So, I still think Kamehameha should keep Tacon. But, it would help if we knew what's up with those two missing starters for Kamehameha. As for Kamehameha II clobbering Waialua, well, Waialua is definitely not a power basketball school, even in OIA D2. Having said that, I would agree that Kamehameha didn't show much class running-up the score on Waialua. But, Tacon isn't coaching the D2 team, right? So, I don't think we should hold him responsible for what the D2 coach did. I mean, OK, they're both coaching the same school, but how much control does Tacon have over the D2 coach?