Dear Kahuku Fans

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Dear Kahuku Fans

Post by genks »

Congrats on a great season Kahuku fans. Your team is young, you have lots to look forward too next year. Your team played really well. They ironed out the bumps on offense and the defense was lethal as usual.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Dear Kahuku Fans

Post by Markeke »

Mahalo genks. It was a great game. When Kahuku plays St.Louis, it becomes more epic every year. I hope HS football fanatic is doing o.k. Like myself, a Red Raider fan. As far as the HHSAA changes covering "replay", that will be a whole week seminar with coaches. I would like to see the automatic "touch back" on kick offs taken away. Let the speed burners do their thing. How can you have a 100+ return with "no can" rule? Wouldn't it be awesome if some of the hs players have it on video for recruiters? It might be the deal breaker. Anyway congratulations to the Saints. Great season. Leave no doubt with post season games against #2 & #3. Oh and yes, Kahuku has a young promising team. Hope Freitas can weather the drama.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Markeke wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am Mahalo genks. It was a great game. When Kahuku plays St.Louis, it becomes more epic every year. I hope HS football fanatic is doing o.k. Like myself, a Red Raider fan. As far as the HHSAA changes covering "replay", that will be a whole week seminar with coaches. I would like to see the automatic "touch back" on kick offs taken away. Let the speed burners do their thing. How can you have a 100+ return with "no can" rule? Wouldn't it be awesome if some of the hs players have it on video for recruiters? It might be the deal breaker. Anyway congratulations to the Saints. Great season. Leave no doubt with post season games against #2 & #3. Oh and yes, Kahuku has a young promising team. Hope Freitas can weather the drama.
Yeah I hope the north shore community takes it easy on the players and coaching staff. Already heard rumblings and grumblings from some in the Red Raider community. No need to run another coach out of town.

Aitorahi
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

Mahalo Genks! You are a class act. Loved the game. I wish Kahuku could have ran out the clock that last drive, but great game by both teams. I know Kahuku is a very young team and I was very pleased with how the secondary developed over the year. I can't wait until next season. Mililani will have a great team next year as well with all of their underclassmen. My question is how will St Louis be next year. Do they have another QB waiting in the wings? If so, it might be another 3 team race next season. Hopefully other OIA teams can step it up and/or Punahou or Kamemeha. My two cents: they need to merge the ILH and OIA and make 3 divisions. It is far overdue. Just call it D1, D2, and D3, and have it consist of all Oahu schools.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:39 am Congrats on a great season Kahuku fans. Your team is young, you have lots to look forward too next year. Your team played really well. They ironed out the bumps on offense and the defense was lethal as usual.
@genks: It was really nice of you to generate this post. I know you're a St Louis fan, so it was really nice of you.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am Mahalo genks. It was a great game. When Kahuku plays St.Louis, it becomes more epic every year. I hope HS football fanatic is doing o.k. Like myself, a Red Raider fan. As far as the HHSAA changes covering "replay", that will be a whole week seminar with coaches. I would like to see the automatic "touch back" on kick offs taken away. Let the speed burners do their thing. How can you have a 100+ return with "no can" rule? Wouldn't it be awesome if some of the hs players have it on video for recruiters? It might be the deal breaker. Anyway congratulations to the Saints. Great season. Leave no doubt with post season games against #2 & #3. Oh and yes, Kahuku has a young promising team. Hope Freitas can weather the drama.
@Markeke: Actually, I'm not doing well at all. When St Louis scored that winning TD, I thought I was going to die. Like, I was devastated. It was surreal, like a nightmare. I couldn't believe it had happened. I mean, St Louis was on their own 47. I just really didn't see it coming; I was totally unprepared emotionally. I thought Kahuku was just 37 seconds away from taking the trophy home. I remember having a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when St Louis scored; I felt weak. Actually, I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, so I don't know if you could call me a Red Raider fan. But, I did pull for them against St Louis. I was devastated when the final seconds ticked off. At the time, it felt like end of the world; I was numb, I felt lost. I couldn't even move for a whole minute, it seemed.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:37 pm
Yeah I hope the north shore community takes it easy on the players and coaching staff. Already heard rumblings and grumblings from some in the Red Raider community. No need to run another coach out of town.
@EITSwarrior: I think Kahuku would be stupid to can Freitas. I mean, they were just 37 seconds away from winning it; they were ahead. The Kahuku DB had his hands on the ball, along with the St Louis receiver. Unfortunately, the receiver was able to yank the ball away. But you couldn't ask for better coverage from the DB. Frietas isn't a Kahuku alumnus, but he came oh so close to beating St Louis. St Louis was favored, and Kahuku was pretty banged-up. Really, I think Kahuku should keep Freitas, especially since Kahuku's team is relatively young. They're now familiar with Freitas' system, and they were just 37 seconds away from reaching the mountaintop of D1 football. If Kahuku alumni are frustrated about that game, how do you think Freitas feels as the HC? Keep Freitas, and who knows? He might be able to get revenge against St Louis next year. It might come down to the same two schools again. However, I think there is one wildcard: Mililani. We know Mililani was really good this year, plus their JV won the OIA D1 title. I would think there's a possibility that Mililani might be able to knock-off Kahuku and St Louis next year. But, since Kahuku's team is young, I think Freitas should be given another year to possibly get revenge against St Louis; you never know. I do think St Louis will be back at States next year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Aitorahi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 pm Mahalo Genks! You are a class act. Loved the game. I wish Kahuku could have ran out the clock that last drive, but great game by both teams. I know Kahuku is a very young team and I was very pleased with how the secondary developed over the year. I can't wait until next season. Mililani will have a great team next year as well with all of their underclassmen. My question is how will St Louis be next year. Do they have another QB waiting in the wings? If so, it might be another 3 team race next season. Hopefully other OIA teams can step it up and/or Punahou or Kamemeha. My two cents: they need to merge the ILH and OIA and make 3 divisions. It is far overdue. Just call it D1, D2, and D3, and have it consist of all Oahu schools.
@Aitorahi: I think St Louis will be ILH D1 champs again next year. They'll have a lot of returnees, and their JV won the ILH title against Kamehameha. I don't see a three-team race in the ILH. Kahuku: Keep your powder dry for St Louis next year; redemption is possible. I suggest keeping Freitas, as they were just 37 seconds away. Don't change or disrupt anything now. You suffered an emotionally brutal loss in which the state Open title was stolen from you with just 37 seconds left in the game. Let Freitas, his returning players (they had a young team), and Kahuku alumni keep their sights trained on St Louis School and next season. Pursue redemption. Be determined that Kahuku will be back to settle accounts.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Thanks for the kind words everyone

Chevan made the right choice, Jonah Panoke has very good hands. Quinn is the speedster and Panoke is the possesion receiver. Tall, long, and reliable. He’s come up with crazy catches all season and did not disappoint on that last play.

As far as Coach Freitas, it would be crazy to not keep him. I gotta say, Kahuku looked GREAT on offense. They mixed up the runs, passing plays were done well, his commitment to impliment more passing was a success. If they ran the 2016 offense, I think it would’ve been a long night against this year’s Crusader defense.

The age vs ability balance is most definetly in Kahuku’s favor. That defense is BIG, strong and fast. The pass rush was crazy, LBs very good, DBs very fast and smart. Combine that with an offense that will be even more unpredictable next year, you have the early favorite to win the title. It’s not even just next year, the next 2 years. Plus Coach Freitas has another year to tinker with the offense.

STL will lose a LOT this year. Majority of the starting defense, O line, 2 QBs, I think 4 receivers, maybe more. I was excited this year for Chevan, he was sort of our little secret. I don’t know who the next QB will be and I haven’t seen him throw. This offense also requires a strong ability to scramble also with the long routes. I guess I’ll have to wait till scrimmage time rolls around again.

I’m not real familiar with who’s returning for Mililani but I know the QB, I think the RB/LB, not sure who from that O Line but any returnees from that awesome O line is good for them.

Punahou I believe has some good players returning, I know the QB can play he scored this year when he was allowed to throw. I believe the star LB and DB will return, both great athletes.

I think Waianae may be screwed also, no Rosario, the biggest loss no Mauga. I noticed Mauga seems to be a well liked guy, hope he does well at USC.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:42 pm Thanks for the kind words everyone

Chevan made the right choice, Jonah Panoke has very good hands. Quinn is the speedster and Panoke is the possesion receiver. Tall, long, and reliable. He’s come up with crazy catches all season and did not disappoint on that last play.

As far as Coach Freitas, it would be crazy to not keep him. I gotta say, Kahuku looked GREAT on offense. They mixed up the runs, passing plays were done well, his commitment to impliment more passing was a success. If they ran the 2016 offense, I think it would’ve been a long night against this year’s Crusader defense.

The age vs ability balance is most definetly in Kahuku’s favor. That defense is BIG, strong and fast. The pass rush was crazy, LBs very good, DBs very fast and smart. Combine that with an offense that will be even more unpredictable next year, you have the early favorite to win the title. It’s not even just next year, the next 2 years. Plus Coach Freitas has another year to tinker with the offense.

STL will lose a LOT this year. Majority of the starting defense, O line, 2 QBs, I think 4 receivers, maybe more. I was excited this year for Chevan, he was sort of our little secret. I don’t know who the next QB will be and I haven’t seen him throw. This offense also requires a strong ability to scramble also with the long routes. I guess I’ll have to wait till scrimmage time rolls around again.

I’m not real familiar with who’s returning for Mililani but I know the QB, I think the RB/LB, not sure who from that O Line but any returnees from that awesome O line is good for them.

Punahou I believe has some good players returning, I know the QB can play he scored this year when he was allowed to throw. I believe the star LB and DB will return, both great athletes.

I think Waianae may be screwed also, no Rosario, the biggest loss no Mauga. I noticed Mauga seems to be a well liked guy, hope he does well at USC.
@genks:
1. Agree that Kahuku should keep Freitas. True, he moved Kahuku a little away from the run game, but good. That gives them a more balanced O.
2. I don't how St Louis would fare in states next year, but I think they'll take ILH D1 again. Sure, they lose a lot of starting seniors, but they have talented underclassmen returning, and St Louis was JV champs. If Cal returns, especially, then I think St Louis will take ILH D1 again. As the saying goes: St Louis doesn't rebuild; they reload.
3. Mililani was tough this year, and they were OIA D1 JV champs. I think everyone should keep on eye on Mililani, too.
4. Punahou has some good players returning, but so does St Louis. Punahou's JV finished last in the ILH. I think they'll be bridesmaid to St Louis again in ILH D1.
5. I've been whining about the brutality of Kahuku's loss to St Louis, but Waianae lost in similarly brutal fashion to Kahuku in the OIA D1 playoffs. Plus, that brutal, last-minute loss ended their season. And, as you said, Waianae loses its best two players--Mauga and Rosario--to graduation. Looks like Waianae can do no better next season than rebuild. I don't think they'll suck; Waianae never sucks in football. But, I don't think they'll be as good as they were this year.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:00 pm

@genks:
1. Agree that Kahuku should keep Freitas. True, he moved Kahuku a little away from the run game, but good. That gives them a more balanced O.
2. I don't how St Louis would fare in states next year, but I think they'll take ILH D1 again. Sure, they lose a lot of starting seniors, but they have talented underclassmen returning, and St Louis was JV champs. If Cal returns, especially, then I think St Louis will take ILH D1 again. As the saying goes: St Louis doesn't rebuild; they reload.
3. Mililani was tough this year, and they were OIA D1 JV champs. I think everyone should keep on eye on Mililani, too.
4. Punahou has some good players returning, but so does St Louis. Punahou's JV finished last in the ILH. I think they'll be bridesmaid to St Louis again in ILH D1.
5. I've been whining about the brutality of Kahuku's loss to St Louis, but Waianae lost in similarly brutal fashion to Kahuku in the OIA D1 playoffs. Plus, that brutal, last-minute loss ended their season. And, as you said, Waianae loses its best two players--Mauga and Rosario--to graduation. Looks like Waianae can do no better next season than rebuild. I don't think they'll suck; Waianae never sucks in football. But, I don't think they'll be as good as they were this year.
You are right, bad choice of words on my part. Shouldn’t have said Waianae is screwed, just losing their 2 most important players.

Man I was there for the 2nd half of that Kahuku vs Waianae game as it was before the STL vs Mililani game. That Waianae defense really stood up. Too bad they couldn’t get anything going on offense. But the TD they put up ended a crazy long scoring drought against Kahuku, so there’s a bright spot.

I think Kam is probably in a very very tough spot QB wise. Without Yam they were in deeeeep trouble earlier this year. Not sure if they have someone coming up from JV but offense could be very tough for them next year.

3 things to watch on the STL defense. #10 Kamakawiwoole MLB, #91 Tuitele with 2 healthy arms, and #12 Botelho OLB. #10 will be more visible with Purcel graduating,he plays very tough. I really feel Botelho will be something in the next 2 years. We all know about Tuitele already. His arm has been wrapped to a 45 degree bend, so he will be very tough with another year experience and both arms.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Kahuku should definitely keep Frietas. He's the perfect coach for that program....the question is, is HE going to want to stay? I can only imagine what he is dealing with right now, I mean just the things I'm reading on social media about clock management, not running out of bounds, why did the OC call those plays towards the end, why didn't the DC blitz on the last play. I know that community is very involved with the school, and have convinced the admin to oust their last fball and bball coach, for whatever reason. But I really hope they keep frietas, I like what he's doing with that program and they do have a very young squad.
On a side note...stl will lose a lot of seniors, including cordiero, panoke, Quinn, tanuvasa, tufaga, moore and the biggest loss will be Purcell. if they make it back to the championship they won't be the favorites. lol
BUT I'm hearing they got a qb waiting......maybe even a possible qb transferring in from Alabama... we'll see.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:59 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:00 pm

@genks:
You are right, bad choice of words on my part. Shouldn’t have said Waianae is screwed, just losing their 2 most important players.

Man I was there for the 2nd half of that Kahuku vs Waianae game as it was before the STL vs Mililani game. That Waianae defense really stood up. Too bad they couldn’t get anything going on offense. But the TD they put up ended a crazy long scoring drought against Kahuku, so there’s a bright spot.

I think Kam is probably in a very very tough spot QB wise. Without Yam they were in deeeeep trouble earlier this year. Not sure if they have someone coming up from JV but offense could be very tough for them next year.

3 things to watch on the STL defense. #10 Kamakawiwoole MLB, #91 Tuitele with 2 healthy arms, and #12 Botelho OLB. #10 will be more visible with Purcel graduating,he plays very tough. I really feel Botelho will be something in the next 2 years. We all know about Tuitele already. His arm has been wrapped to a 45 degree bend, so he will be very tough with another year experience and both arms.
@genks: Well, perhaps Waianae is screwed. After all, when a school loses its top RB and top LB, one might be justified in calling that school screwed. LB Mauga, in particular, is a huge loss. I mean, he was one of the best defensive players in the entire state. Of course, Waianae being Waianae, this doesn't mean that they're going to suck next year. But, what a loss: No more Rosario, no more Mauga. I kind of feel sorry for Waianae alumni; that loss to Kahuku in the playoffs was a killer. It really was. They must have felt that the world was crashing-down on them. I mean, not only was the lateness of the loss--(with less than a minute left in the game)--devastating, but the loss ended their season. It was an emotionally brutal double-whammy to them. You might even call it a triple-whammy, in that they were on the verge of a major upset. Sucks!

Kamehameha should suck, next year. Without QB Yam, who graduates, Kamehameha can't throw the ball for sh_t. And, they're also losing their top RB, Shannon, to graduation. Their O will very likely suck. Their OC will probably be tearing his hair out, next year. Without a QB worth squat, he'll probably have Kamehameha doing what they've been doing for some forty years: Pound the rock, three yards and a cloud of dust. Don't know that HC Maafala could recommend anything else, given the players that they'll have. I congratulate Kamehameha on finishing second in ILH D1 for a change, but next year, they'll probably return to their usual status of cellar-dweller.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Lol Dog 96707, always thought that Taulia would finish at St.Louis. The only way was to move off Oahu then come back. The "sit" rule would apply from OIA to ILH transfer. Like to see brother Tua transfer to Notre Dame.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

I think when the dust settles, Freitas will still be there. Everybody can Monday quarterback, but folks, that was the best balance Hawaii championship I have ever seen! Those kids played near perfection well discipline football. Clock management? No Felipe, those boys go for first down yardage. Except for that pick6, Sol Jay played his best game of his career. If someone said he would have more td tosses then Cordeiro, people would say huh? Or the difference in total offensive yardage would be a mere 3 yards. That was a damn great game. Period.