Wrestling 2017-18

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Wrestling 2017-18

Post by FoxMulder »

So just wondering where everyone is at for the upcoming season. I know hydration already took place. A lot of new head coaches from what I've heard too, so does that mean a lot of dark horses?

ProudDad
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Wrestling 2017-18

Post by ProudDad »

Boys and Girls in no particular order but just based on last year's results plus number of returnees...
Boys.....you have Kamehameha-Kapalama, St. Louis, Campbell, Leilehua and Moanalua
Girls.....Lahainaluna, Kamehameha-Kapalama, Pearl City, Roosevelt and Moanalua.
Iolani lost so much State placers so I don't expect them to repeat for the boys side and Lahainaluna has too be the preseason favorite as they return most of last year's State Championship team. Otherwise this should be an exciting year and which ever team can stay healthy and develop enough depth should make a deep run in States.

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

I'm thinking Kamehameha for sure for the boys, girls might be more of a toss up, will be interesting to see how Roosevelt does with a new head coach

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

FoxMulder wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 am I'm thinking Kamehameha for sure for the boys, girls might be more of a toss up, will be interesting to see how Roosevelt does with a new head coach
@FoxMulder: Kamehameha's boys are that good? Interesting. Which two schools are tops for the girls, in your opinion?

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

I wouldn't say Kamehameha boys are that good, just that the talent is spread real thin in the rest of the state... For girls i wouldn't be able to make an educated guess just because I don't follow it as closely

ProudDad
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ProudDad »

Checked out the wrestling tournament at Kailua. Couldn't tell if had any interesting match ups but Campbell and Leilehua brought some tough wrestlers for the boys division. As far as the girls I think Roosevelt entered just a couple kids and Moanalua looks like they will be a tough bunch to compete against as they not only had numbers but some quality wrestlers. OIA side for boys I still have to go with either Campbell, Leilehua and Moanalua and girls probably Moanalua, Roosevelt, Pearl City, Campbell and Leilehua..

MercadoCBIT
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MercadoCBIT »

...and Moanalua had a LOT of wrestlers who weren't even on the mats because of a hydration test that sidelined a bunch of kids.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

MercadoCBIT wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm ...and Moanalua had a LOT of wrestlers who weren't even on the mats because of a hydration test that sidelined a bunch of kids.
@MercadoCBIT: Why do Moanalua wrestlers call themselves the "Camogas"? They've been doing that for over 35 years. Isn't the school's nickname, "Na Menehune"?

Wrestler808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Wrestler808 »

Girls and boys p4p?

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

Cant believe you guys aren't complaining about the dates for states this year.
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am Cant believe you guys aren't complaining about the dates for states this year.
Especially because there's nothing on the Baisdell calendar/Schedule for the weekend of that week.

http://www.blaisdellcenter.com/calendar ... 517479200/

Although, the weekend before, there is a cannibas festival scheduled.

MercadoCBIT
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MercadoCBIT »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:21 pm
MercadoCBIT wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm ...and Moanalua had a LOT of wrestlers who weren't even on the mats because of a hydration test that sidelined a bunch of kids.
@MercadoCBIT: Why do Moanalua wrestlers call themselves the "Camogas"? They've been doing that for over 35 years. Isn't the school's nickname, "Na Menehune"?
@HS Football Fanatic: I honestly don't know why the wrestlers call themselves the Camogas. I always knew Moanalua as Na Menehune.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

MercadoCBIT wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:24 pm
@HS Football Fanatic: I honestly don't know why the wrestlers call themselves the Camogas. I always knew Moanalua as Na Menehune.
I believe that was the former Moanalua Head Coach's mistaken understanding of how to spell Na Menehune. Due to too much neck bridging in his younger days.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

twnoexcuses wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm
MercadoCBIT wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:24 pm

I believe that was the former Moanalua Head Coach's mistaken understanding of how to spell Na Menehune. Due to too much neck bridging in his younger days.
@twnoexcuses: Good one. :) Actually, back in the early 1980s, Moanalua's nickname was "Menehunes." In the mid-2000s, they Hawaiianized it to, "Na Menehune." Means the same thing, of course, but I guess the school figured that since the nickname is Hawaiian, might as well make it gramatically correct in Hawaiian. But, if Moanalua's wrestling HC thought "Menehunes" was spelled "C-a-m-o-g-a-s," I'd have to question his eyesight and/or his educational background.

yeahyou73
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by yeahyou73 »

CAMOGA is the slogan or the description of what a Moanalua Wrestler Strives to become which means a
COMPETETIVE
AGGRESIVE
MACHINE
OVERCOMING
GREAT
ADVERSITY