2017 OIA Championship

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: 2017 OIA Championship

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Wasn't it the other Malepeai kid that got ejected? from the Oline?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:24 pm Wasn't it the other Malepeai kid that got ejected? from the Oline?
@rrforlifebaby: What? There's another Malepeai on the team? They're related then, I would assume. Anyway, another poster said it was the LB. Seeing how good Kahuku's defensive front-seven is, losing an O-lineman might be worse than losing an LB.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I just looked at the Trojan roster, there is a Tasi Malepeai, listed as a defensive lineman.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:26 pm I just looked at the Trojan roster, there is a Tasi Malepeai, listed as a defensive lineman.
@rrforlifebaby: Is he the only Malepeai on the team, or is there also an LB?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Tasi Malepeai a DE and Kilifi Malepeai a RB. They are cousins, I believe. Tasi is the one who got ejected

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:21 pm Tasi Malepeai a DE and Kilifi Malepeai a RB. They are cousins, I believe. Tasi is the one who got ejected
@Neighbor: OK, thanks for the clarification. Earlier, someone else on this thread said it was an LB named Malepeai who was ejected. Well, DEs are most effective against pass plays, and Kahuku is run-oriented. But, Kahuku has called pass plays, and that's when Malepeai will be most missed. Well, any starter ejected is an advantage for the other team.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

I think the special teams goes to Kahuku. Field goals 25 yards and in is good for Kahuku. Mililani 's kicker probably better. The key for the D is to pressure Gabriel all night. Anybody know if T. Maleapeai is disqualified?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:42 pm I think the special teams goes to Kahuku. Field goals 25 yards and in is good for Kahuku. Mililani 's kicker probably better. The key for the D is to pressure Gabriel all night. Anybody know if T. Maleapeai is disqualified?
@Markeke: OK, how good is Kahuku's secondary? DBs are so important against good passing teams like Mililani. If Kahuku's secondary is good, it would help Kahuku's front-seven get coverage sacks, too.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

I think this will be a close one. Mils must have the top Offense in the state and Kahuku the top Defense. I think kahuku has more athletes, that's why im going to give the edge to them. I'm looking forward to a great game

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:22 am I think this will be a close one. Mils must have the top Offense in the state and Kahuku the top Defense. I think kahuku has more athletes, that's why im going to give the edge to them. I'm looking forward to a great game
@Dog 96707: Is Mililani's O better than St Louis' O?

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

You can only compare the best team both Kahuku and Mililani face this year which happens to be Kapolei.

Kahuku Offense 249 yds passing and 122 rushing against Kapolei. Final score 35-7. On defense, Kapolei Faoa was 13/31 for 127 yards, 3 sacks and 3 picks. Kalaloa had 13 yards for a total of 140 yards. They also had 30 rushing yards.

Against Mililani. Kapolei had 188 yds passing and 15 yards rushing. Kapolei lost 42-21 but in fact was leading 21-20 before the half.
Mililani Gabriel (30/44) had passed for 398 wit 2 picks. And 3 td. He also rushed for 40 yards and two scores. The rest of the team rushed for 103. Yds.
So in order for Mililani to operate, they need a minimum of 40 passes .First on the agenda is Kahuku offensive clock management. Run,pass,run. No penalties.On D the line push and lbs getting rushes enough to sack or hurry gabriel. The interior D line men are stout enough to stop malepeai or olomua. 3 and out then do it again..score on RR then you face a kickoff return. Santiago cannot touchback for mililani. York has the coach edge if fact both teams are smart and talenteD. Do be surprise to see a slot sweep by kuboyama then a pass back to gabriel down field.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:39 pm You can only compare the best team both Kahuku and Mililani face this year which happens to be Kapolei.

Kahuku Offense 249 yds passing and 122 rushing against Kapolei. Final score 35-7. On defense, Kapolei Faoa was 13/31 for 127 yards, 3 sacks and 3 picks. Kalaloa had 13 yards for a total of 140 yards. They also had 30 rushing yards.

Against Mililani. Kapolei had 188 yds passing and 15 yards rushing. Kapolei lost 42-21 but in fact was leading 21-20 before the half.
Mililani Gabriel (30/44) had passed for 398 wit 2 picks. And 3 td. He also rushed for 40 yards and two scores. The rest of the team rushed for 103. Yds.
So in order for Mililani to operate, they need a minimum of 40 passes .First on the agenda is Kahuku offensive clock management. Run,pass,run. No penalties.On D the line push and lbs getting rushes enough to sack or hurry gabriel. The interior D line men are stout enough to stop malepeai or olomua. 3 and out then do it again..score on RR then you face a kickoff return. Santiago cannot touchback for mililani. York has the coach edge if fact both teams are smart and talenteD. Do be surprise to see a slot sweep by kuboyama then a pass back to gabriel down field.
@Markeke: Interesting observations. Seems to me that the most telling statistics were the final scores. Kapolei scored two fewer TDs against Kahuku than they did against Mililani. But the question arises: Were Kapolei's last two TDs against Mililani scored against Mililani's first-string D, or did York put-in his relievers by then? Offensively, Kahuku scored only one more TD against Kapolei than Mililani did. But even aside from the final scores, again I think Kahuku's D gives Kahuku the edge. I have to think Kahuku is the favorite, particulary if their pass game has been as decent as it was their last two games. To have to worry about Kahuku's run and pass, would be a DC's nightmare. Finally, I hope Kahuku does win, as I prefer Kahuku High to Mililani High. Here I'm talking about the schools, not the teams. I don't have a preference for one team over the other, so I'm going instead by the schools they represent.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 am
Markeke wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:39 pm

@Markeke: Interesting observations. Seems to me that the most telling statistics were the final scores. Kapolei scored two fewer TDs against Kahuku than they did against Mililani. But the question arises: Were Kapolei's last two TDs against Mililani scored against Mililani's first-string D, or did York put-in his relievers by then? Offensively, Kahuku scored only one more TD against Kapolei than Mililani did. But even aside from the final scores, again I think Kahuku's D gives Kahuku the edge. I have to think Kahuku is the favorite, particulary if their pass game has been as decent as it was their last two games. To have to worry about Kahuku's run and pass, would be a DC's nightmare. Finally, I hope Kahuku does win, as I prefer Kahuku High to Mililani High. Here I'm talking about the schools, not the teams. I don't have a preference for one team over the other, so I'm going instead by the schools they represent.
To be fair both teams scored a defensive td. And yes Mililani 's D stayed the whole game. Really the first half it was 21-20 Kapolei, but Mililani scored the next 22 points to make it a final of 21-42 mililani. That's great adjustments on Yorks part both on O and D. Mililani 's D held Kapolei to just 15 yards rushing. The #11 Bingham team did hold Kahuku to 50 yds.rushing but Kahuku did keep Bingham high offense to 88 yds passing.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:19 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 am
Markeke wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:39 pm

To be fair both teams scored a defensive td. And yes Mililani 's D stayed the whole game. Really the first half it was 21-20 Kapolei, but Mililani scored the next 22 points to make it a final of 21-42 mililani. That's great adjustments on Yorks part both on O and D. Mililani 's D held Kapolei to just 15 yards rushing. The #11 Bingham team did hold Kahuku to 50 yds.rushing but Kahuku did keep Bingham high offense to 88 yds passing.
@Markeke: And, regarding the Bingham game, Kahuku first-string QB Maiava didn't play, right? Who knows, maybe they would have scored if he played. Also, I'm assuming that Bingham's D is better than Mililani's D, so hopefully Kahuku will get more yards on the ground than they did against Bingham. I hope Kahuku's O is working on the pass. I'm not sure they can beat Mililani with the run game alone. Good to have a pass game in their back pocket, just in case. Regarding Mililani, you say York made adjustments on both O and D against Kapolei. In the past, it was the ILH coaches who were known to make adjustments during a game. St Louis HC Cal Lee is a good example. You say York is doing that, too. Think you said in an earlier post that Mililani therefore has the coaching advantage. What about Kahuku HC Freitas?
Finally, I think Kahuku has a revenge factor to motivate them: Mililani beat Kahuku for the OIA JV D1 title, 20-17. It's not often that Kahuku loses a JV football title game. I mean, it looks like Mililani has really arrived in football. It seems that Mililani has gotten itself into a position to demand that other schools take notice and watch out. They certainly have Kahuku's attention. Mililani is now able to demand a place at the table with the elite schools in Hawaii D1 football. St Louis and Kahuku: Move over, make room. And, it seems Kahuku and Mililani really have a football rivalry going. On the vars level, Kahuku has been good since the late-1980s. Mililani has been good since the late-2000s. Here we are in 2017, and they're about to play for the OIA vars D1 title. This is beginning to look like the St Louis v Punahou rivalry in ILH D1.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

It's all good. The OIA will eventually have several "contenders" as long as York is at Mililani. Can't fault the public school kids for going to a school that will develop them. Kapolei proved worthy last year by beating Punahou. They too have numerous "transfers" etc. Kahuku is just a freak because the area is family oriented, the kids are big and skilled and they have a rich tradition. It also helps to be deep in the country where drama and distractions are at a minimal.