2017 OIA Championship

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2017 OIA Championship

Post by Dog 96707 »

Yes! the red raiders should sit maiava this game. they can get past Waianae without him, and he should be ready to go in the championship. I don't think mils had any major injuries, they should be good to go against stl on Friday.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Dog 96707 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:31 am Yes! the red raiders should sit maiava this game. they can get past Waianae without him, and he should be ready to go in the championship. I don't think mils had any major injuries, they should be good to go against stl on Friday.
@Dog 96707: Yes, I agree that Kahuku can probably beat Waianae, even without Maiava. But: Will he indeed be ready for the title game? How's his foot? Will it be healed by the time the title game rolls around? And then, the even bigger game: St Louis v Mililani. I think most guys agree that Kahuku will beat Waianae, but: Will St Louis beat Mililani? When Mililani played Kahuku, I think Mililani opened a lot of eyes. They sure as heck opened mine. Like, they almost beat Kahuku. Here are the amazing things about that game that I'm still trying to wrap my head around: 1.) At one point, Mililani had a 14-0 lead. I mean, who woulda thunk it? I couldn't imagine that any school but St Louis could grab a 14-0 lead on Kahuku. 2.) Kahuku didn't score the winning TD until there were less than two minutes in the game. Timewise, that's how close Mililani was to winning it. 3.) Kahuku won by only four points. That's how close Mililani was to winning the game, score-wise. 4.) Kahuku had to score the winning TD through the air. Mililani was able to take Kahuku out of its usual scoring method: The run.

What I took from that game was that Kahuku's D simply wasn't as good as I thought it was. But instead, perhaps it was that Mililani's O was much better than I thought it was. Or, perhaps it was a combination of both. I mean, Mililani scored 31 points on Kahuku. Now, since I may have overestimated Kahuku's D, perhaps I shouldn't overestimate St Louis' D, either. St Louis' pass game is so good, we can be virtually certain that they can score gobs of points on Mililani, right? So, the question becomes: Since Mililani was able to score gobs of points against a very good Kahuku D, can they also score gobs of points against a very good St Louis D? If not, it's curtains for them, as it seems certain that St Louis' pass game can score gobs of points against them.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Mililani knows what it’s got to do to stop SLS’s offense (make SLS’s RBs beat them) but can it do that? I know Mililani’s defense is on par with the best in the state (maybe better than SLS’s) but expect this to be a high-scoring game. Mililani—unless, God forbid, they suffer devastating injuries—should give St. Louis a MUCH better challenge than they did two years ago (when most of their best players couldn’t play). But will it be enough to win or at least a toll on SLS?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 am Mililani knows what it’s got to do to stop SLS’s offense (make SLS’s RBs beat them) but can it do that? I know Mililani’s defense is on par with the best in the state (maybe better than SLS’s) but expect this to be a high-scoring game. Mililani—unless, God forbid, they suffer devastating injuries—should give St. Louis a MUCH better challenge than they did two years ago (when most of their best players couldn’t play). But will it be enough to win or at least a toll on SLS?
Yeah I too think it's going to be a high scoring game. Mililani has a better oline than st.louis and can run but st.louis to me has the best front seven so that could be a problem for mililani. Should be a close one!

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:57 am
Dog 96707 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:31 am Yes! the red raiders should sit maiava this game. they can get past Waianae without him, and he should be ready to go in the championship. I don't think mils had any major injuries, they should be good to go against stl on Friday.
@Dog 96707: Yes, I agree that Kahuku can probably beat Waianae, even without Maiava. But: Will he indeed be ready for the title game? How's his foot? Will it be healed by the time the title game rolls around? And then, the even bigger game: St Louis v Mililani. I think most guys agree that Kahuku will beat Waianae, but: Will St Louis beat Mililani? When Mililani played Kahuku, I think Mililani opened a lot of eyes. They sure as heck opened mine. Like, they almost beat Kahuku. Here are the amazing things about that game that I'm still trying to wrap my head around: 1.) At one point, Mililani had a 14-0 lead. I mean, who woulda thunk it? I couldn't imagine that any school but St Louis could grab a 14-0 lead on Kahuku. 2.) Kahuku didn't score the winning TD until there were less than two minutes in the game. Timewise, that's how close Mililani was to winning it. 3.) Kahuku won by only four points. That's how close Mililani was to winning the game, score-wise. 4.) Kahuku had to score the winning TD through the air. Mililani was able to take Kahuku out of its usual scoring method: The run.

What I took from that game was that Kahuku's D simply wasn't as good as I thought it was. But instead, perhaps it was that Mililani's O was much better than I thought it was. Or, perhaps it was a combination of both. I mean, Mililani scored 31 points on Kahuku. Now, since I may have overestimated Kahuku's D, perhaps I shouldn't overestimate St Louis' D, either. St Louis' pass game is so good, we can be virtually certain that they can score gobs of points on Mililani, right? So, the question becomes: Since Mililani was able to score gobs of points against a very good Kahuku D, can they also score gobs of points against a very good St Louis D? If not, it's curtains for them, as it seems certain that St Louis' pass game can score gobs of points against them.
Well, I thought it would be a good game but I didn't expect mils to put up 31 on kahuku either. however, I was at their scrimmage earlier in the season and it was pretty up and up then too. I think it was like 5 tds to 4 in favor of kahuku. I think mils offense is good and kahuku Defense is good, but they're not the same kahuku D from last year and far from the D they had 2 years ago. on the same note, mils O isn't the same as when they had Milton, vae and kala. But they both dominated a down year, as far as competition, in the oia this season. the same way stl dominated a down year in the ilh. Now the top 3 teams in the state are in, and stl v. mils should be a battle because I think they're pretty evenly matched. kahuku will await the winner, whoever it may be, and next weeks game should be a battle also.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 am Mililani knows what it’s got to do to stop SLS’s offense (make SLS’s RBs beat them) but can it do that? I know Mililani’s defense is on par with the best in the state (maybe better than SLS’s) but expect this to be a high-scoring game. Mililani—unless, God forbid, they suffer devastating injuries—should give St. Louis a MUCH better challenge than they did two years ago (when most of their best players couldn’t play). But will it be enough to win or at least a toll on SLS?
@gopunahou: But, St Louis doesn't have a run game. I doubt that Mililani is worried about St Louis' RBs. And, is Mililani's D as good as St Louis' D? For one thing, St Louis has that beast of a D-lineman, Tuitele. I think he's the best D-lineman in the state. But if Mililani tries to double-team him, obviously that makes room for St Louis' LBs, and they are some of the best in the state. St Louis' LBs have been praised to the skies for two years now; I'm assuming that they're better than Mililani's LBs. Also, I heard that St Louis' secondary is better than Mililani's secondary. I do agree that Mililani should give St Louis a closer rub than they did two years ago. As for injuries: From what I understand, Mililani is just as big and physical as St Louis. In fact, I would say that St Louis' D is the unit most susceptible to injury, of either school. Why? Because Mililani has a good run game. You generally don't have a good run game unless you have a big and good O-line. Guys on this thread have posted that Mililani's O-line handled Kahuku's D-line, but of course some of that handling came on pass plays. But when Mililani calls a run play, their huge O-linemen are firing-out, not standing-up. I have to believe that big O-linemen firing-out to block for a run play, can cause more injury than if they were standing-up to pass-block. So, on balance, I think St Louis has to worry about injuries more--especially to their defensive front-seven--than does Mililani. You know that if a Mililani O-lineman on a run-block isn't picked-up by a St Louis D-lineman, he's going to look to clean-out any LB who gets in the way.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

harus0ra wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:05 am
Yeah I too think it's going to be a high scoring game. Mililani has a better oline than st.louis and can run but st.louis to me has the best front seven so that could be a problem for mililani. Should be a close one!
@harus0ra: If St Louis' defensive front-seven are that good, then perhaps Mililani will elect to run more than pass. In fact, that has to be the marquee match-up: St Louis' defensive front-seven vs Mililani's O-line. Keep in mind that guys have posted that Mililani's O-line handled Kahuku's D-line, and I guess that's why/how Mililani hung 31 points on them. And of course, Kahuku's defensive front-seven is also very good. If Mililani's big O-line is that good, I'd sure hate to be a St Louis D-lineman on run plays. I might very well feel like I've been hit by a truck. I think St Louis' D-linemen have to be wary of blind-side blocks on run plays that take long to develop or end. Huge, powerful Mililani O-linemen go hunting for some D-lineman to slam from the side, from the D-lineman's blind spot. I mean, you don't even see the guy. All of a sudden it's, KATOOSH! (As Larry Price was fond of saying). You don't know what hit you; perhaps a Mack truck? You lay on the turf, stunned and seeing stars.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm
@harus0ra: If St Louis' defensive front-seven are that good, then perhaps Mililani will elect to run more than pass. In fact, that has to be the marquee match-up: St Louis' defensive front-seven vs Mililani's O-line. Keep in mind that guys have posted that Mililani's O-line handled Kahuku's D-line, and I guess that's why/how Mililani hung 31 points on them. And of course, Kahuku's defensive front-seven is also very good. If Mililani's big O-line is that good, I'd sure hate to be a St Louis D-lineman on run plays. I might very well feel like I've been hit by a truck. I think St Louis' D-linemen have to be wary of blind-side blocks on run plays that take long to develop or end. Huge, powerful Mililani O-linemen go hunting for some D-lineman to slam from the side, from the D-lineman's blind spot. I mean, you don't even see the guy. All of a sudden it's, KATOOSH! (As Larry Price was fond of saying). You don't know what hit you; perhaps a Mack truck? You lay on the turf, stunned and seeing stars.
The Mil O line did well in pass protection, same on run blocking. I wouldn’t say they dominated Kahuku or anything like that. They bought Gabriel time to find open receivers. They are big and strong for sure

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:48 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm

The Mil O line did well in pass protection, same on run blocking. I wouldn’t say they dominated Kahuku or anything like that. They bought Gabriel time to find open receivers. They are big and strong for sure
@genks: Oh no, I didn't mean to say that Mililani's O-line dominated Kahuku's D-line; only that they held their own against them. I don't think any school in the state has an O-line that can dominate Kahuku's D-line. Someone on this message-board posted that Mililani's O-line is better than St Louis' O-line. I get the impression that Mililani's O-line will try to pound St Louis' D-line on run plays. I think Mililani will try to establish the run. If that doesn't work, they do have a good pass game. They can mix it up; here's a school that can run and pass. If Mililani's OC sees any chinks in St Louis' armor, he can call a run or pass play accordingly. As for St Louis, I think they'll have to rely almost exclusively on their pass game, because they don't have a run game. And even if they did, would they be able to run on Mililani? Kahuku couldn't. If Kahuku couldn't, St Louis can't. Not on the ground.