2017 OIA Championship

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2017 OIA Championship

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:56 pm It's all good. The OIA will eventually have several "contenders" as long as York is at Mililani. Can't fault the public school kids for going to a school that will develop them. Kapolei proved worthy last year by beating Punahou. They too have numerous "transfers" etc. Kahuku is just a freak because the area is family oriented, the kids are big and skilled and they have a rich tradition. It also helps to be deep in the country where drama and distractions are at a minimal.
@Markeke: So, is York that good a coach, or is it just because he recruits? (OK, I'm assuming we all agree that he recruits.) Is he the best coach in the OIA? Perhaps he just might be, this year. Agree that Kahuku has big-time talent, but I think Punahou has been trying to recruit some of Kahuku's players. Could that explain why Punahou has been so competitive the past five years or so?

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:10 am
Markeke wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:56 pm It's all good. The OIA will eventually have several "contenders" as long as York is at Mililani. Can't fault the public school kids for going to a school that will develop them. Kapolei proved worthy last year by beating Punahou. They too have numerous "transfers" etc. Kahuku is just a freak because the area is family oriented, the kids are big and skilled and they have a rich tradition. It also helps to be deep in the country where drama and distractions are at a minimal.
@Markeke: So, is York that good a coach, or is it just because he recruits? (OK, I'm assuming we all agree that he recruits.) Is he the best coach in the OIA? Perhaps he just might be, this year. Agree that Kahuku has big-time talent, but I think Punahou has been trying to recruit some of Kahuku's players. Could that explain why Punahou has been so competitive the past five years or so?
Every ILH school tries to pick up Kahuku kids. But Punahou's starting group who was actually from Kahuku is the Uluave and Moeai kid but their older brothers all went to Punahou. Gilman is a first time Punahou kid from Kahuku, older brother went to Kamehameha before transferring back to Kahuku. Their's a DL kid who plays for the Kahuku rugby team in the off season. That's all I can think of. So Punahou has 4 starters from Kahuku? A huge lost for them was that Nawahine kid who's now the star at Kahuku, but he was decent last year for Punahou. Not outstanding numbers, but competitive enough. Definitely not a Wayne Taulapapa. Nawahine's older brother played a year at Punahou before leaving to the mainland. So from what I heard, Enoch came from the mainland before enrolling into Punahou. Solid pick up for Kahuku.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

I think York has a very strong system developing in Central Oahu to be a threat to the rest of the OIA which I mean a threat to Kahuku. They run a very similar offense to Punahou and STL. Can't wait to watch the match up.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:49 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:10 am
Every ILH school tries to pick up Kahuku kids. But Punahou's starting group who was actually from Kahuku is the Uluave and Moeai kid but their older brothers all went to Punahou. Gilman is a first time Punahou kid from Kahuku, older brother went to Kamehameha before transferring back to Kahuku. Their's a DL kid who plays for the Kahuku rugby team in the off season. That's all I can think of. So Punahou has 4 starters from Kahuku? A huge lost for them was that Nawahine kid who's now the star at Kahuku, but he was decent last year for Punahou. Not outstanding numbers, but competitive enough. Definitely not a Wayne Taulapapa. Nawahine's older brother played a year at Punahou before leaving to the mainland. So from what I heard, Enoch came from the mainland before enrolling into Punahou. Solid pick up for Kahuku.
@ka'ahupahau706: I heard St Louis picks-up McKinley kids, the ones from Mayor Wright Homes. (Mayor Wright is considered part of McKinley High's school district). Perhaps that explains why McKinley has been so weak over most of the last three decades or so. (Not every year, of course. McKinley had decent teams in 2003 and 2013, for example. But other than that, they've been pretty weak from the late-1980s through the 1990s, and they were very weak the past three years. ) Over the last three decades, a lot of all-star players for St Louis came from Mayor Wright. Not all, of course, but a lot.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Hs football fanatic, yes York is a good coach. But the biggest contribution is the program. For it to be successful in a Hs environment the principal, AD, and the school itself has to buy in. Examples, if Milton played at PC or Kapolei, would he at UCF? If Vavae Malepeai played at St.Louis would he be at USC? Milton made Vae and Vae made Milton. Yorks program worked for them. When York took over from Arcenaux, they knew the only way to beat Kahuku is to bring more polys into Mililani. That's the way it is. But it's all good everybody improves their game. The Aiea,Radford and McKinley Kaisers all go to D2. This actually is good for D1 football because if Kamehameha or Punahou can't do it, then an OIA team has to beat St.Louis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:05 pm Hs football fanatic, yes York is a good coach. But the biggest contribution is the program. For it to be successful in a Hs environment the principal, AD, and the school itself has to buy in. Examples, if Milton played at PC or Kapolei, would he at UCF? If Vavae Malepeai played at St.Louis would he be at USC? Milton made Vae and Vae made Milton. Yorks program worked for them. When York took over from Arcenaux, they knew the only way to beat Kahuku is to bring more polys into Mililani. That's the way it is. But it's all good everybody improves their game. The Aiea,Radford and McKinley Kaisers all go to D2. This actually is good for D1 football because if Kamehameha or Punahou can't do it, then an OIA team has to beat St.Louis.
@Markeke: Well, we'd like to think that every school wants its football team to be as good as possible. So, you would assume that each school's AD and principal would buy-in. I'm of the position that if a player is good, he will be noticed, no matter which school he plays for. I would think that college recruiters understand that if a player is talented, he should be sought, no matter which school he plays for. I would think that college scouts who are good at what they do, can "smell-out" good players; I think word gets around. Take Kaiser, for example. This year, they're probably the weakest D1 team. But, if they happened to have a blue-chip player, I strongly suspect that college scouts would know it, even though Kaiser not only was weak and didn't get to the playoffs, but even despite the fact that they had to cancel most of their season due to injuries and "parental interference." Personally, I think that's a good thing, because it kind of levels the playing field. If a player is good, he shouldn't have to worry about which school he's playing for. If he's good, he's good, and college scouts should be able to have gotten wind of him, one way or another.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:47 pm
Markeke wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:05 pm Hs football fanatic, yes York is a good coach. But the biggest contribution is the program. For it to be successful in a Hs environment the principal, AD, and the school itself has to buy in. Examples, if Milton played at PC or Kapolei, would he at UCF? If Vavae Malepeai played at St.Louis would he be at USC? Milton made Vae and Vae made Milton. Yorks program worked for them. When York took over from Arcenaux, they knew the only way to beat Kahuku is to bring more polys into Mililani. That's the way it is. But it's all good everybody improves their game. The Aiea,Radford and McKinley Kaisers all go to D2. This actually is good for D1 football because if Kamehameha or Punahou can't do it, then an OIA team has to beat St.Louis.
@Markeke: Well, we'd like to think that every school wants its football team to be as good as possible. So, you would assume that each school's AD and principal would buy-in. I'm of the position that if a player is good, he will be noticed, no matter which school he plays for. I would think that college recruiters understand that if a player is talented, he should be sought, no matter which school he plays for. I would think that college scouts who are good at what they do, can "smell-out" good players; I think word gets around. Take Kaiser, for example. This year, they're probably the weakest D1 team. But, if they happened to have a blue-chip player, I strongly suspect that college scouts would know it, even though Kaiser not only was weak and didn't get to the playoffs, but even despite the fact that they had to cancel most of their season due to injuries and "parental interference." Personally, I think that's a good thing, because it kind of levels the playing field. If a player is good, he shouldn't have to worry about which school he's playing for. If he's good, he's good, and college scouts worth their salt should be able to have gotten wind of him, one way or another. College scouts are supposed to have contacts at the prep level. What's important, I think, is raw talent. Even if a good player didn't have the kind of coaching and/or exposure at his school that would have maximized his potential, I would think that college scouts understand that the college's coaching staff can groom him and hone his talents. And that, of course, helps that college team win games.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Mililani 14, Kahuku 0 2nd quarter
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Very interesting game. Kahuku making so many mistakes, Gabriel looks good, MIL O Line doing well.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

One side commits penalty suicide, the other turnover suicide. What a crazy game

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Other than the officiating and meltdown by a certain coach, this was one of the best OIA title games.

Couple of missed opportunities hitting open receivers for the Trojans could've made a big difference.

5 fumbles lost, blown call on the non-touchdown, and Big Red still pulls out the win.

Onto the next.
RRFL!!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:29 pm Other than the officiating and meltdown by a certain coach, this was one of the best OIA title games.

Couple of missed opportunities hitting open receivers for the Trojans could've made a big difference.

5 fumbles lost, blown call on the non-touchdown, and Big Red still pulls out the win.

Onto the next.
RRFL!!!
@rrforlifebaby: Kahuku should beat Waianae, but... Waianae seems to be run-heavy; how well can they pass? Having said that, will Kahuku QB Maiava miss the game due to his foot injury suffered against Mililani? How capable is Kahuku's second-string QB? If he can't throw as well as Maiava, then all Kahuku will have is the run, and Waianae will key on it. I get that Kahuku's D can contain Waianae's O, but--if Maiava is out--can Kahuku's O overcome Waianae's D? Kahuku's run game didn't do very well against Mililani, and I think Kahuku almost lost the game because of that.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Kahuku''s run game got stop numerous times but this opened up pass game which was soljays career best. Very good play calling from Freitas. Soljays can rest for Waianae and Alapa can qb. I think the receivers are starting to get more confidence in their routes. Waianae has always had studs and I feel sorry in a sense that they can become elite with a more aggressive offensive coach. This is an area that have a lot of hard knock kids. I'm impress by the discipline that they have over the years. But who knows, Waianae might show up big time.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:55 pm Kahuku''s run game got stop numerous times but this opened up pass game which was soljays career best. Very good play calling from Freitas. Soljays can rest for Waianae and Alapa can qb. I think the receivers are starting to get more confidence in their routes. Waianae has always had studs and I feel sorry in a sense that they can become elite with a more aggressive offensive coach. This is an area that have a lot of hard knock kids. I'm impress by the discipline that they have over the years. But who knows, Waianae might show up big time.
@Markeke: Interesting. So Waianae's OC is too conservative. The thing about Waianae football is that it's been so predictable for years: Three yards and a cloud of dust. Waianae has been run-heavy for what, 40 years? Seems that Waianae always wants to run the ball down your throat. I don't think they'll be able to do that against Kahuku. Yeah, I guess Kahuku can beat Waianae even with a reserve QB. Even if Waianae shows-up big-time, I still don't think that will be enough for them to beat Kahuku.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

im with markeke, soljay should sit out this week. alapa is more than capable. there are still lots of pieces to the O we havent really seen yet. even if waianae balls out on D, and you know they will, they just dont have enough firepower on O.

sorry seariders.
RRFL!!