2017 OIA Championship

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

2017 OIA Championship

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Can't believe we need to wait 2 weeks for this game, but it is what it is.

Here is how I see it, any and all are more than welcome to tell it like they see it:

Big Red's D proves the difference in this game.

QB play - Edge to Mililani
RB play - Edge to Big Red. Trojan rb's aren't anything Big Red players haven't seen before. If Trojan's want to play Olomua and Muasau two way, so be it.
WR play - Edge to Mililani. Trojan's are deep in receivers. Hope that Chang kid is ok; pretty mean hit from the Waianae kid.

Mililani O line vs Kahuku Front 7 - Edge to Big Red Trojan's have a good oline, but they are not going to be able to hold back the onslaught all night long
Kahuku O line vs Mililani Front 7 - Edge to Big Red Big Red oline is healthy and starting to gel. I will admit that the Trojan backers are pretty good.

Secondary Play - Edge to Big Red. IMHO, per man, Big Red has the more talented secondary.

Special Teams - Probably even. Trojan's have a good kicker. Big Red has a decent kicker and more than adequate punter(s). Coverage teams look good for both squads.

Good luck to both squads. Play hard, play smart, be safe.

RRFL!!!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2017 OIA Championship

Post by Markeke »

Latu needs to resume the punting duties. Plus they were having problems with the long snaps and qb snaps. Kahuku does have taller D players to possibly knock down balls. Glad Thompson is back subbing at lb. Should be a great game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:51 am Can't believe we need to wait 2 weeks for this game, but it is what it is.

Here is how I see it, any and all are more than welcome to tell it like they see it:

Big Red's D proves the difference in this game.

QB play - Edge to Mililani
RB play - Edge to Big Red. Trojan rb's aren't anything Big Red players haven't seen before. If Trojan's want to play Olomua and Muasau two way, so be it.
WR play - Edge to Mililani. Trojan's are deep in receivers. Hope that Chang kid is ok; pretty mean hit from the Waianae kid.

Mililani O line vs Kahuku Front 7 - Edge to Big Red Trojan's have a good oline, but they are not going to be able to hold back the onslaught all night long
Kahuku O line vs Mililani Front 7 - Edge to Big Red Big Red oline is healthy and starting to gel. I will admit that the Trojan backers are pretty good.

Secondary Play - Edge to Big Red. IMHO, per man, Big Red has the more talented secondary.

Special Teams - Probably even. Trojan's have a good kicker. Big Red has a decent kicker and more than adequate punter(s). Coverage teams look good for both squads.

Good luck to both squads. Play hard, play smart, be safe.

RRFL!!!
@rrforlifebaby: Agree that Kahuku's D will likely be the difference-maker. Think I mentioned that, in at least one post on the "unpaid D1 football" thread. Kahuku by 7 to 10.

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westside.gee »

Going to have to stay on the side of history with Kahuku always wearing down their opponents and forcing the opponent to adjust to them. Kahuku 28 Mill 21

QB- Mill
WR- Mill
RB- Kahuku
FB- Mill
Oline- even

Dline- even
LB- Kahuku
DB- Kahuku
Special teams- even

Mililani's passing game is way better then Kahukus passing game but when we consider all 11 players on the field I think there are weaknesses on that Mililani Oline that Kahuku will expose. I dont think Mililanis defense is talented enough to shut down Kahuku's offense for all 4 quarters.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

westside.gee wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 pm Going to have to stay on the side of history with Kahuku always wearing down their opponents and forcing the opponent to adjust to them. Kahuku 28 Mill 21

QB- Mill
WR- Mill
RB- Kahuku
FB- Mill
Oline- even

Dline- even
LB- Kahuku
DB- Kahuku
Special teams- even

Mililani's passing game is way better then Kahukus passing game but when we consider all 11 players on the field I think there are weaknesses on that Mililani Oline that Kahuku will expose. I dont think Mililanis defense is talented enough to shut down Kahuku's offense for all 4 quarters.
@westside.gee: Mililani's D-line is just as good as Kahuku's? Didn't know that.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

I believe that Kapolei''s defense is better then Mililani. Many D1 talent. Kahuku scored 35 so I'll stay at Kahuku 35 Mililani 17. Bingham scored 17 at Vegas, but Bingham is #10 in the country. Also like Campbell over Waianae 21-14. One more question if anybody knows, Mililani''s , lb, Malepeai got ejected from the Waianae game. Does he still play in championship? Also is Freeney out for Campbell? That's why I favor campbell.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:06 pm I believe that Kapolei''s defense is better then Mililani. Many D1 talent. Kahuku scored 35 so I'll stay at Kahuku 35 Mililani 17. Bingham scored 17 at Vegas, but Bingham is #10 in the country. Also like Campbell over Waianae 21-14. One more question if anybody knows, Mililani''s , lb, Malepeai got ejected from the Waianae game. Does he still play in championship? Also is Freeney out for Campbell? That's why I favor campbell.
@Markeke: Didn't know Malepeai was ejected. My understanding of the rules is that he can't play in the Kahuku game, unless Mililani appeals the decision and wins the appeal. Also, is Kapolei's D really better than Mililani's? If so, then I'm a little more certain than before, that Kahuku wins.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I would have to favor Kahuku to beat Mililani.

I am still remembering how Kahuku's line play ground Campbell down last weekend.The OL trap blocking was constantly sealing off Kahuku running lanes for the backs. It was efficient,workmanlike,and repeated snap after snap after snap. That will take it's toll on Mililani's defense. Maiava is not quite as accurate as Gabriel is in the passing game ,but he's getting better.

Both teams are ballhawks on D. I would give the edge to the Red Raiders. Even their linemen are getting interceptions this year. The Trojans can defend the pass almost as well,but they are going to have fewer chances to intercept passes against a Kahuku ground attack.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:19 am I would have to favor Kahuku to beat Mililani.

I am still remembering how Kahuku's line play ground Campbell down last weekend.The OL trap blocking was constantly sealing off Kahuku running lanes for the backs. It was efficient,workmanlike,and repeated snap after snap after snap. That will take it's toll on Mililani's defense. Maiava is not quite as accurate as Gabriel is in the passing game ,but he's getting better.

Both teams are ballhawks on D. I would give the edge to the Red Raiders. Even their linemen are getting interceptions this year. The Trojans can defend the pass almost as well,but they are going to have fewer chances to intercept passes against a Kahuku ground attack.
@unpaid: Agree that Kahuku is run-heavy, but against Mililani, they might just have to throw the ball a bit more than they prefer. Not just because Mililani has a pretty tough D, but also because Mililani's O is hot enough to put pressure on Kahuku's O to score more points, and in more ways than just on the ground. It certainly doesn't seem likely that Kahuku's D will pitch a shutout. The way Mililani throws the ball, they're like the St Louis of OIA D1. And, while St Louis doesn't have much of a run game, Mililani does. Mililani is like St Louis plus the run, and genks said Mililani ran all over Waianae. I mean, usually only Kahuku can run all over Waianae. You can often throw all over Waianae, but running all over them is usually another matter.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

Kahuku probably will have to throw a little more than normal, but maybe only if Mililani makes it tough to run and score. It's Kahuku in the run game, and they usually dominate.

On the other hand, Coach Freitas has implemented more passing into the Kahuku
Offense. Still, Kahuku,right now, is going to push you off the ball and let a rusher gash the defense for yards...and they are getting better at passing,too.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Again the way to beat a good passing team is to #1. Keep their offense off the field with time consuming runs and play action. #2. Great defense. #3. Get them in bad field position. Also remember that the DC has defended the Tua, Taulia and Milton. Only last year the Tua defeated the DC with his feet not the pass.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:28 am HS Football Fanatic,

Kahuku probably will have to throw a little more than normal, but maybe only if Mililani makes it tough to run and score. It's Kahuku in the run game, and they usually dominate.

On the other hand, Coach Freitas has implemented more passing into the Kahuku
Offense. Still, Kahuku,right now, is going to push you off the ball and let a rusher gash the defense for yards...and they are getting better at passing,too.
@unpaid: Yes, I agree with almost all you said, and I'm glad to agree, as I prefer Kahuku to Mililani. However, are you sure Kahuku can run the ball adequately? Are we sure Kahuku's O-line can push Mililani's D-line off the ball? And, even if Kahuku's ball-carrier gets past the D-line, how are Mililani's LBs? This again raises the issue about Malepeai, one of Mililani's LBs. A poster said he was ejected from the Waianae game, which supposedly means he can't play against Kahuku. Obviously, that would hurt Mililani's run-stopping ability. So: Will Mililani make it tough for Kahuku to run and score, and how much will Malepeai's absence figure into that? In the end, I still like Kahuku by 10 to 14 points now. (In an earlier post, I think I said 7 to 10 points.)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 am Again the way to beat a good passing team is to #1. Keep their offense off the field with time consuming runs and play action. #2. Great defense. #3. Get them in bad field position. Also remember that the DC has defended the Tua, Taulia and Milton. Only last year the Tua defeated the DC with his feet not the pass.
@Markeke: Yes. The fact that Kahuku is run-heavy is very convenient against Mililani's inclination to pass. Having said that, Mililani can run the ball fairly well, too. But, if Kahuku's O-line can keep the chains moving with the run game, indeed Mililani's O will have that much less time on the field. You mentioned Kahuku's DC; so, he's the same DC from when Milton was QB at Mililani? That's indeed good news for Kahuku. About last year's St Louis game: I still think Kahuku was the better team. It's just that St Louis was the better team that night. It was frustrating to see Tua constantly eluding Kahuku's D for big gains. And then there was Kahuku's fumble in St Louis' end zone. It's painful to re-live that night. Kahuku should have been champs last year. (I know: Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but didn't.) Kahuku needs to win the title it should have won last year.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I wouldn't say Kahuku is run-heavy, but just they have more success with that. They've been throwing the ball alot, and probably way more than they should be.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:55 pm I wouldn't say Kahuku is run-heavy, but just they have more success with that. They've been throwing the ball alot, and probably way more than they should be.
@Neighbor: Well, with an RB as good as Nawahine, might as well run. Also, it would appear that Nawahine made the right decision when he transferred from Punahou to Kahuku. I think Kahuku is using him more than Punahou would have. So, not only is he getting more playing time at Kahuku, he's still playing, period. By contrast, Punahou's season ended two weeks ago. And, even if he had stayed at Punahou, Kamehameha might still have been able to beat them. Or, even if he could have helped Punahou win, they would have certainly lost to St Louis the week after.
It would seem to me that only three schools have a realistic shot at the state D1 title: Kahuku, St Louis, and Mililani. Of those three, I would prefer to see Kahuku take it. Having said that, are you sure Kahuku is passing way more than they should be? To me, if they can move the ball through the air as well as on the ground, they'd be harder to beat. Better to have a balanced O, so as to keep the other school's D guessing more. I'd think it's harder to defend both the run and the pass. It's for sure, I would think, that they might have to throw the ball against St Louis, in addition to running it.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.