Kaiser abruptly terminates remainder of Vars and JV football season.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Kaiser abruptly terminates remainder of Vars and JV football season.

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Kaiser has announced that there'll be no more football for both their JV and Vars this season. Wonder how that will affect how the school's students feel about things. I'm not faulting the school's Administration at all, but understandably it will probably hurt school spirit hard. I mean, football is the big daddy at any high school. The decision was made in response to some incident last night that was serious enough for police to be called. Feel sorry for Kaiser alumni. The vars had already forfeited some three games, and the one they didn't was a 71-0 blowout loss to Campbell. When it rains, it pours. Doodoo happens. I guess the moral of the story for other schools with struggling football teams is: Count your blessings. Kind of puts things into perspective.

genks
Starter
Starter

Re: Kaiser abruptly terminates remainder of Vars and JV football season.

Post by genks »

So there was pushing and shoving and a few parents almost punched the coach, according to the article I read. Very sad. It's the kids that ultimately suffer.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I don't think it affects school spirit anymore than it already was. They weren't gonna play those last two games regardless.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 pm So there was pushing and shoving and a few parents almost punched the coach, according to the article I read. Very sad. It's the kids that ultimately suffer.
@genks: Isn't Martinez the coach? The guy is so positive and mild-mannered. How could things get to the point that some parents wanted to punch him? That's appalling. I wasn't there, but I'll hazard a guess that hot-head parents were at fault. And, what a bad example for the kids. I heard that other staff were threatened, too. What a train-wreck there at Kaiser High. Imagine the stress-level there.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Yeah the article says Arnold Martinez

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

https://twitter.com/IanScheuring/status/910327892533501953 https://twitter.com/IanScheuring/status/910328172637540352 https://twitter.com/IanScheuring/status/910328428188053504

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Sad. I feel for the kids, especially the seniors. Not sure what the situation really is, but all the articles I've read mention a parent(s) getting in an altercation with the HC on Monday. Lately, it seems that there have been more incidents involving parents and coaches at the high school level (ie: kahuku basketball a few years ago). I guess we all can thank social media for getting the news out faster than ever before. Bottom line... parents get too involved!! I remember when I was in high school, my parents were too busy to come to practice. LOL!! Let the coaches coach!!! That's how it should be. Now, if the coach mistreats players in any way, I can see parent involvement. but even that should be handled through the right chain of command (ie: administration). I bet that's not the case in this situation.....I bet it's more "my son or daughter isn't playing enough" or "my son or daughter should be this or that" or "I don't agree with how u do things coach...u like scrap??". Like I said before, I don't know the real situation, and seems to go deeper than just this Monday altercation. I feel bad for the kids not getting the opportunity that they practice hard for. It's a very sad situation

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

From hawaiiprepworld article and reader comments for the other side of the story.

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... ll-season/
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 am Sad. I feel for the kids, especially the seniors. Not sure what the situation really is, but all the articles I've read mention a parent(s) getting in an altercation with the HC on Monday. Lately, it seems that there have been more incidents involving parents and coaches at the high school level (ie: kahuku basketball a few years ago). I guess we all can thank social media for getting the news out faster than ever before. Bottom line... parents get too involved!! I remember when I was in high school, my parents were too busy to come to practice. LOL!! Let the coaches coach!!! That's how it should be. Now, if the coach mistreats players in any way, I can see parent involvement. but even that should be handled through the right chain of command (ie: administration). I bet that's not the case in this situation.....I bet it's more "my son or daughter isn't playing enough" or "my son or daughter should be this or that" or "I don't agree with how u do things coach...u like scrap??". Like I said before, I don't know the real situation, and seems to go deeper than just this Monday altercation. I feel bad for the kids not getting the opportunity that they practice hard for. It's a very sad situation
@Dog 96707: Wholeheartedly agree. If a parent doesn't like a coach's coaching decisions, then he/she should simply pull the kid from the team. Respect the coach; let the coach coach. If a parent thinks that he/she can do a better job, apply for the position. Otherwise, parents should have enough class to simply pull their kid, and not make a big stink. For a parent to go even beyond that, to the point that the coach has to get a TRO, creates a toxic situation in terms of morale and feelings. So unhealthy. It's a shame that just one or a few parents can make an entire high-school look bad, give it bad publicity. Kaiser High is being dragged through the mud because of this. I wish to commend the Principal for keeping the Homecoming festivities/assembly. While the Homecoming game has been canceled, I'm glad that at least the Homecoming festivities/assembly will take place. The connection between a school and its alumni is precious.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

c
Last edited by unpaid on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:20 pm Coach Martinez is not the reason Kaiser football is in it's present disarray.

The debacle that is Kaiser 2017 football started before Martinez was hired this year.

Anyone who paid attention to JV football in 2016 had a clue that Kaiser was in for a problem with numbers. The Cougars had to forfeit most of last season's JV games because they didn't have enough players. The last two games on the schedule that they actually fielded a team to play the games were losses.Martinez was still on sabbatical in the fall of 2016. You can check this out on the Scoringlive and Hawaiiprepworld sites in the 2016 archives if they are available. So basically Coach Higgins tried to keep as many of Coach Mianos players as he could, but for whatever reason the freshman and sophomores didn't turn out for JV in enough numbers to fill out the varsity and have enough to field a JV team for most of the 2106 season. There was going to be a crunch where Kaiser was going to have to face an ugly choice in 2017.
@unpaid: Isn't it unbelievable, how far Kaiser has fallen in football. I remember the late-'70s, when they were kicking almost everyone's butts. They were even Prep Bowl champs--the equivalent of today's D1 state champs--in '79. Back in the Prep Bowl era, it was understood that the Prep Bowl champ was the best team in the state. Fast-forward to last year: Martinez probably should be given credit for stepping into such a difficult situation. Surely he knew about Kaiser's dwindling turnout for football.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:53 pm
unpaid wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:20 pm Coach Martinez is not the reason Kaiser football is in it's present disarray.

The debacle that is Kaiser 2017 football started before Martinez was hired this year.

Anyone who paid attention to JV football in 2016 had a clue that Kaiser was in for a problem with numbers. The Cougars had to forfeit most of last season's JV games because they didn't have enough players. The last two games on the schedule that they actually fielded a team to play the games were losses.Martinez was still on sabbatical in the fall of 2016. You can check this out on the Scoringlive and Hawaiiprepworld sites in the 2016 archives if they are available. So basically Coach Higgins tried to keep as many of Coach Mianos players as he could, but for whatever reason the freshman and sophomores didn't turn out for JV in enough numbers to fill out the varsity and have enough to field a JV team for most of the 2106 season. There was going to be a crunch where Kaiser was going to have to face an ugly choice in 2017.
@unpaid: Isn't it unbelievable, how far Kaiser has fallen in football. I remember the late-'70s, when they were kicking almost everyone's butts. They were even Prep Bowl champs--the equivalent of today's D1 state champs--in '79. Back in the Prep Bowl era, it was understood that the Prep Bowl champ was the best team in the state. Fast-forward to last year: Martinez probably should be given credit for stepping into such a difficult situation. Surely he knew about Kaiser's dwindling turnout for football.
Don't forget the 2013 team. Would've loved to see them play Iolani.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Got my timeline wrong. This is actually Martinez's Second year as HC at Kaiser so he was head of the program last year ,when the Kaiser JV squad forfeited all but two of their games , losing the last two games where they actually fielded a team to play the game.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If Martinez must go, Kaiser should consider bringing back Coach Lobendahn from 2011. A lot of players liked him. The only reason they got rid of him was because Rich Miano was available.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:24 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Don't forget the 2013 team. Would've loved to see them play Iolani.
@gopunahou: Is that the year Kaiser beat Kahuku? Wasn't that a shock.