Kaiser abruptly terminates remainder of Vars and JV football season.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Kaiser abruptly terminates remainder of Vars and JV football season.

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:55 pm If Martinez must go, Kaiser should consider bringing back Coach Lobendahn from 2011. A lot of players liked him. The only reason they got rid of him was because Rich Miano was available.
@gopunahou: Yes, I remember Miano was coaching Kaiser for a while. And why did he leave? Talk about a role model. He's a Kaiser alumnus, and didn't he play for UH and the Pros? As for Martinez, he was coaching at Moanalua for several years at least. Why did he leave? Coaches leaving schools, left and right.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I only now saw a post made from someone pretty well-known in the Hawaii HS community, which has similar info to what was posted in the HPW comments so I guess we know who was who. But this one was the funniest to me:
The head coach took down the 2013 state championship picture in the locker room and made the comments to some players that “this championship doesn’t mean anything and wasn’t done the right way, I’m going to do it the right way” and removed the picture. That didn’t sit well with some of the parents and siblings of players that cheered on the team during that season and for those that were inspired to become a Cougar and play football at the school.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

So I guess that the "right way" is no way after all.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:44 am I only now saw a post made from someone pretty well-known in the Hawaii HS community, which has similar info to what was posted in the HPW comments so I guess we know who was who. But this one was the funniest to me:
The head coach took down the 2013 state championship picture in the locker room and made the comments to some players that “this championship doesn’t mean anything and wasn’t done the right way, I’m going to do it the right way” and removed the picture. That didn’t sit well with some of the parents and siblings of players that cheered on the team during that season and for those that were inspired to become a Cougar and play football at the school.
@Neighbor: OK, I agree that that wasn't a particularly smart thing for Martinez to do; I certainly wouldn't have done that. Still, I don't think Martinez deserved to have people threaten him to the point where he felt even his family wasn't safe. The ugly incident during which police were called, made national news. I think parents should have shown more class and restraint. This entire episode has embarrassed Kaiser High and its alumni. I think it was very unfortunate.

Hiloman
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Hiloman »

Some saying Miano this or that, but he was just evening the playing field with with what the ILH was already doing with recruiting good players but in his case players wanted to come because of his reputation as a coach and developers of walkons. I liked him. I know of a guy from Iolani whom is a professor now, Miano took interest in him and worked with him even though he didn't play college football.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hiloman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 am Some saying Miano this or that, but he was just evening the playing field with with what the ILH was already doing with recruiting good players but in his case players wanted to come because of his reputation as a coach and developers of walkons. I liked him. I know of a guy from Iolani whom is a professor now, Miano took interest in him and worked with him even though he didn't play college football.
@Hiloman: I'm not saying that Martinez should go, but if he goes, perhaps Kaiser might consider rehiring Miano. After all, he is a Kaiser alumnus, and played football for UH and the pros. Just from my personal point of view, he'd be ideal just because of all that. St Louis rehired Cal Lee, and Lee isn't even a St Louis alumnus. Again, I'm not at all suggesting that Martinez should go, but if he goes, perhaps Kaiser should look at Miano, one of its own alumni. Miano is someone who has walked the talk for Kaiser, UH, and the pros.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Didn't Miano and the current Kaiser principal have a disagreement before Miano quit? Something to do with using school facilities for a private enterprise and putting together a carnival to support athletics without the principal's approval, or something like that? If they conked heads before, why would this same principal hire Miano again?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

My3Cats wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:11 pm Didn't Miano and the current Kaiser principal have a disagreement before Miano quit? Something to do with using school facilities for a private enterprise and putting together a carnival to support athletics without the principal's approval, or something like that? If they conked heads before, why would this same principal hire Miano again?
@My3Cats: Well, that's a good point. I think the current Kaiser principal is Justin Mew. And indeed, if he had some kind of falling-out with Miano, there's no reason to assume that he'd consider rehiring Miano. That's too bad, but if Miano did those things you mentioned, then Miano is at fault, too.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:45 pm
Hiloman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 am Some saying Miano this or that, but he was just evening the playing field with with what the ILH was already doing with recruiting good players but in his case players wanted to come because of his reputation as a coach and developers of walkons. I liked him. I know of a guy from Iolani whom is a professor now, Miano took interest in him and worked with him even though he didn't play college football.
@Hiloman: I'm not saying that Martinez should go, but if he goes, perhaps Kaiser might consider rehiring Miano. After all, he is a Kaiser alumnus, and played football for UH and the pros. Just from my personal point of view, he'd be ideal just because of all that. St Louis rehired Cal Lee, and Lee isn't even a St Louis alumnus. Again, I'm not at all suggesting that Martinez should go, but if he goes, perhaps Kaiser should look at Miano, one of its own alumni. Miano is someone who has walked the talk for Kaiser, UH, and the pros.
Martinez resigned already

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:47 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:45 pm
Martinez resigned already
@Neighbor: Oh. Feel kind of bad for him. Coaching any sport--especially on the vars level--is so difficult. A lot of stress, a lot of pressure. It can be hard enough to deal with the kids; teens are going through all kinds of emotional stages. A coach doesn't need for parents to add to the stress. Well, we'll see who Kaiser's next coach will be. Their football program seems to be in a toxic, dysfunctional situation right now. Wonder who would be willing to step into something like that.