Kapolei Needs some change

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
hawaiiboy396
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Kapolei Needs some change

Post by hawaiiboy396 »

Does anyone on here think that Hernandez has to go at Kapolei. Seems like a program that is year after year is loaded with talent yet can never win. Should be a real contender every year for a state title yet they've never been close. The only thing that is common every year is the coach.

genks
Starter
Starter

Re: Kapolei Needs some change

Post by genks »

I won't claim to be very knowledgeable but I do agree. It's like they struggle to put everything together. Sometimes it also seems like the coach doesn't have control over the kids

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

I'd like to defend Hernandez. Yes, Kapolei got smashed by Mililani just last night, but let's keep in mind that Mililani is very good this year, ranked #4 in the state, while Kapolei is ranked #6, I think. One guy on this message-board thinks that Mililani is good enough to possibly beat Punahou, which is currently ranked #3, I think. Also, let's not forget that Kapolei smashed Punahou last year in States. That was no small accomplishment. Let's also keep in mind that Kapolei smashed Kailua just last week, was it? That score was 33-0, and I don't think any of us can say Kailua absolutely sucks this year. OK, Hernandez could have done better over the years, but that could be said for most any high-school football coach, perhaps save for St Louis' Cal Lee. I don't think Hernandez is so bad as a coach that he should be asked to leave. I don't know Hernandez personally, so it's not like I'm sticking-up for a friend or something. I think Kapolei, like Kamehameha, is simply snakebitten. Both schools have a lot of football talent almost every year, but simply can never get to the top of their respective divisions. (Well, Kamehameha hasn't been ILH D1 champs since '09. That's a seven-year drought, and this year, again, Kamehameha isn't going anywhere).

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:48 pm I'd like to defend Hernandez. Yes, Kapolei got smashed by Mililani just last night, but let's keep in mind that Mililani is very good this year, ranked #4 in the state, while Kapolei is ranked #6, I think. One guy on this message-board thinks that Mililani is good enough to possibly beat Punahou, which is currently ranked #3, I think. Also, let's not forget that Kapolei smashed Punahou last year in States. That was no small accomplishment. Let's also keep in mind that Kapolei smashed Kailua just last week, was it? That score was 33-0, and I don't think any of us can say Kailua absolutely sucks this year. OK, Hernandez could have done better over the years, but that could be said for most any high-school football coach, perhaps save for St Louis' Cal Lee. I don't think Hernandez is so bad as a coach that he should be asked to leave. I don't know Hernandez personally, so it's not like I'm sticking-up for a friend or something. I think Kapolei, like Kamehameha, is simply snakebitten. Both schools have a lot of football talent almost every year, but simply can never get to the top of their respective divisions. (Well, Kamehameha hasn't been ILH D1 champs since '09. That's a seven-year drought, and this year, again, Kamehameha isn't going anywhere).
Kamehameha DID have two stretches (2007 and 2009 state championships) and 2011-2013 (when they were among the top 3 teams in the state but couldn't win the ILH).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:24 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:48 pm I'd like to defend Hernandez. Yes, Kapolei got smashed by Mililani just last night, but let's keep in mind that Mililani is very good this year, ranked #4 in the state, while Kapolei is ranked #6, I think. One guy on this message-board thinks that Mililani is good enough to possibly beat Punahou, which is currently ranked #3, I think. Also, let's not forget that Kapolei smashed Punahou last year in States. That was no small accomplishment. Let's also keep in mind that Kapolei smashed Kailua just last week, was it? That score was 33-0, and I don't think any of us can say Kailua absolutely sucks this year. OK, Hernandez could have done better over the years, but that could be said for most any high-school football coach, perhaps save for St Louis' Cal Lee. I don't think Hernandez is so bad as a coach that he should be asked to leave. I don't know Hernandez personally, so it's not like I'm sticking-up for a friend or something. I think Kapolei, like Kamehameha, is simply snakebitten. Both schools have a lot of football talent almost every year, but simply can never get to the top of their respective divisions. (Well, Kamehameha hasn't been ILH D1 champs since '09. That's a seven-year drought, and this year, again, Kamehameha isn't going anywhere).
Kamehameha DID have two stretches (2007 and 2009 state championships) and 2011-2013 (when they were among the top 3 teams in the state but couldn't win the ILH).
@gopunahou: Well, OK, you're right. Kamehameha certainly has been at the top of ILH D1 before. As I had mentioned in my previous post, they were indeed ILH D1 champs in '09. But, I've been hearing a lot of grousing by Kamehameha alumni about the past seven years. Keep in mind, I think people are grousing about Hernandez because Kapolei hasn't been OIA Red champs yet. But, Kapolei is ranked almost every year.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@HS you are right, he's not doing the worst job ever, but I thought with all those ballers on that team they should get better results. Farrington beat them 2 years in a row with a less talented (on paper anyway) roster. Especially when Govs would come up big off some trick play.