808 Football Recruits

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: 808 Football Recruits

Post by genks »

Yeah I exaggerated some lol. He plays run support also. He will need to do some flying against Punahou next week though.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Did Nick Kapule and Ethan Takayama ever get any offers? Kapule was very accurate and Takayama could catch anything thrown in his direction and break tackles to add another 3-5 yards. As a STL fan those 2 gave me lots of stress lol. I thought they were impressive

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:11 pm Did Nick Kapule and Ethan Takayama ever get any offers? Kapule was very accurate and Takayama could catch anything thrown in his direction and break tackles to add another 3-5 yards. As a STL fan those 2 gave me lots of stress lol. I thought they were impressive
All I know is that UH offered Kapule. I don't know where he's playing now. I think a lot of small schools offered Ethan but I couldn't find where he is playing.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Ethan Takeyama is a freshman WR at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps college in Claremont,CA.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Kapule is at Pomona-Pitzer a D3 also in Claremont, California. Only Hawaii kid on the roster. Listed as a QB but caught 3 passes for 52 yards in their first game this past weekend

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I'll sticky this post.
Keep us updated

808FBRecruits
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808FBRecruits »

Sorry, been a little busy but here's some of what's going on...

Tua Tagovailoa

As I'm sure everyone was aware when he signed with Alabama, Tua was going to come in behind incumbent starter Jalen Hurts. Hurts led the Tide to the National Championship game and nearly won it as a true freshman. Saban put any rumors of a QB controversy to rest this past spring when he was unwavering of his decision to start Hurts this season.

Well, Tua has done nothing but impress in his time in at QB this season, and also grown quite the following of Bama faithful who believe he could very well challenge Hurts this offseason and win the job as the better "passer" in that offense, which may be true.

However, there are whispers that if this scenario of Tua starting does NOT come through, he and his family will look to transfer. I've learned this from two different sources at different parts of this season thus far... and multiple factors would be at play.

Zion Tupuola-Fetui

Continuing from my last update, UW was the clear cut team to beat for his services due to his connection to DL coach Ikaika Malloe. However, another PAC-12 team is closing in, making it a two horse race in my eyes. CAL has really performed great this season under the new regime led by Justin Wilcox, taking down WAZZU in the last few weeks. They have quite the island recruiters on staff including QB coach Marques Tuiasosopo, OLB coach (former UH coach) Tony Tuioti, and their player personnel director Cory Nicol. Again, Zion will wait till the end of the season to take his official visits.

Kama Moore

Short interesting nugget, St. Louis DB Kama Moore had a pretty good offseason and picked up an offer from Adams State, and more recently an invitation from the prestigious Polynesian Bowl. Will be interesting to keep an eye out here, he is still "being recruited" according to one of the Warrior's coaches, whohave already taken verbal commitments from three of his teammates QB Chevan Cordeiro, WR Jonah Panoke, and DB Kai Kaneshiro.

Kaulana Makaula

The Punahou DB has been very impressive for the Buff n Blue and has gained offers from Hawaii and BYU prior to the season. He has caught the eye of the Washington recruiting staff and an offer could very well end with a commitment. Makaula has very high interest in the Huskies and has named them his dream school. I would expect they hold off on an offer until further evaluation of his junior Season film and possibly an unofficial visit to campus.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Update.

Ethan Takeyama has played in six games not counting this weekend for Claremont-Mudd-Scripps College. He has 153 yards on offense and has scored 1TD. It turns out there are two other Hawaii players on the Stags team.

Sachi Mindich, Punahou grad,is a freshman DB who has played in six games with 11 tackles.

Kanoa Gilliland, Kamehameha Grad, is a sophomore DE who has played in three games with 1 forced fumble.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

808FBRecruits wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:38 am Sorry, been a little busy but here's some of what's going on...

Tua Tagovailoa

As I'm sure everyone was aware when he signed with Alabama, Tua was going to come in behind incumbent starter Jalen Hurts. Hurts led the Tide to the National Championship game and nearly won it as a true freshman. Saban put any rumors of a QB controversy to rest this past spring when he was unwavering of his decision to start Hurts this season.

Well, Tua has done nothing but impress in his time in at QB this season, and also grown quite the following of Bama faithful who believe he could very well challenge Hurts this offseason and win the job as the better "passer" in that offense, which may be true.

However, there are whispers that if this scenario of Tua starting does NOT come through, he and his family will look to transfer. I've learned this from two different sources at different parts of this season thus far... and multiple factors would be at play.

Zion Tupuola-Fetui

Continuing from my last update, UW was the clear cut team to beat for his services due to his connection to DL coach Ikaika Malloe. However, another PAC-12 team is closing in, making it a two horse race in my eyes. CAL has really performed great this season under the new regime led by Justin Wilcox, taking down WAZZU in the last few weeks. They have quite the island recruiters on staff including QB coach Marques Tuiasosopo, OLB coach (former UH coach) Tony Tuioti, and their player personnel director Cory Nicol. Again, Zion will wait till the end of the season to take his official visits.

Kama Moore

Short interesting nugget, St. Louis DB Kama Moore had a pretty good offseason and picked up an offer from Adams State, and more recently an invitation from the prestigious Polynesian Bowl. Will be interesting to keep an eye out here, he is still "being recruited" according to one of the Warrior's coaches, whohave already taken verbal commitments from three of his teammates QB Chevan Cordeiro, WR Jonah Panoke, and DB Kai Kaneshiro.

Kaulana Makaula

The Punahou DB has been very impressive for the Buff n Blue and has gained offers from Hawaii and BYU prior to the season. He has caught the eye of the Washington recruiting staff and an offer could very well end with a commitment. Makaula has very high interest in the Huskies and has named them his dream school. I would expect they hold off on an offer until further evaluation of his junior Season film and possibly an unofficial visit to campus.
I listen to “SEC Alabama” podcast to keep up with the Bama talks along with following their games. They really love Tua and are excited for the future with him. Lots of people seem to be torn between letting Tua take over, or keeping Hurts, or even implimenting a dual QB system. Saban seems set in Hurts, but it’s obvious the offense stalls when it’s a 3rd and long situation or the run is being stopped consistently. If Tua did transfer that would leave Taulia in a weird spot seeing as how he moved to Alabama.

I hadn’t heard that Kama Moore is being recruited by UH, I hope they give him an offer. He plays hard, good build for the position and good on run support also. I don’t know if he would be interested in going to UH but the opportunity would be great, plus being able to stick with fellow Crusaders would be awesome I’m sure.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

So happy for Mitchell Quinn, his first D1 offer from UH after just shredding Mililani!! Congrats Mitchell!! He showed the Narbonne game wasn’t a one time performance. Go ahead and man up one on one against him, see what happens!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Any news?

808FBRecruits
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808FBRecruits »

Happy Thanksgiving!

Recapping some news from this week, sorry been a little busy just posting Highlights.

Commitments...

This week we saw three commitments go down.
-Jonah Kahahawai-Welch committed to Navy over UH, Vandy, Syracuse, and Air Force.

-Micah Mariteragi committed to Virginia after receiving the offer (his first) last week. Micah has come on really strong this season after transferring from Kamehameha. He joins teammate Samson Reed to UVA.

-Pono Lolohea committed to Washington State. The Maui Saber alum and JC Transfer was a very highly touted D-lineman, at one point had committed to Kansas. Believe it or not, prior to him gaining his 20 or so offers, Pono had told me he really wanted to return home and play for Hawaii. His younger brother Sione, a sophomore for Maui HS will be a big time DL prospect in his cycle.

Visits...

-Zion Tupuola-Fetui took his official visit to Vanderbilt last weekend. Coach CJ Ah You has been a driving force in Hawaii recruiting for the Tennessee school. Zion is down to his final three schools: Vandy, Cal, and Washington. Has yet to schedule his officials at Cal and UW, however he has visited both schools in an unofficial capacity. He will announce his commitment live during the Polynesian Bowl in January.

-Maninoa Tufono visited Utah this week. He is on the mainland spending time with his family and older brother Jack Tufono at Idaho State. Maninoa will be one of the top ILBs in the country in 2019, and will look to take a slew of visits this offseason on both coasts. His father played at UW, and they may have an early lead with that connection.

-Alama Uluave has two scheduled visits in December: Syracuse December 1-3 and Yale December 8-10. He will also visit San Diego State at some point, where Hawaii boys Seyddrick & Ronley Lakalaka and Andrew Aleki play.

Will try to follow up more on Hawaii Offerees. With the season finally over, decisions will be coming for prospects in the next couple months.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Thanks for the updates! Great stuff

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

How does a verbal commitment from an athlete affect recruiting from other schools? For example, Chevan committed to UH, would this discourage other schools from trying to recruit him? Or does it not make a difference?

808FBRecruits
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808FBRecruits »

genks wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 am How does a verbal commitment from an athlete affect recruiting from other schools? For example, Chevan committed to UH, would this discourage other schools from trying to recruit him? Or does it not make a difference?
Nothing is official until a letter of intent is signed and received by a program. A verbal commitment may lock up a spot for the player, however hardly discourages teams from recruiting the committed prospect. De-commitments are at an all time high.