Low roster numbers

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Low roster numbers

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Looks like Aiea will forfeit there game against Big Red this week.

Would like to hear your thoughts on the low roster numbers this year.

Is it because less kids are interested in playing?
Maybe parents are concerned and scared off by concussions?
More kids are being recruited than ever to the ILH?
Families are finding ways to have their kids play for another school?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Low roster numbers

Post by My3Cats »

I'm not a parent, but if I was I'd be terrified of the concussion issue. My kids would be playing volleyball or tennis.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Gets worse every year. And the kids are waaaay different. Can't run some of the old drills by rule and can't run others in fear of scaring kids off. Minor injuries knock players out that they would have played through in the past. Every year in the rules meeting coaches sit with a glazed look in their eyes and their mouths agape. Don't hit low, don't hit high, don't hit if the opponent isn't looking, don't hit a defenseless receiver(knock the ball loose), don't lead with your helmet, don't touch the receiver after five yards, don't bounce the kickoff over six feet high, it goes on. It's all about safety and I get it. But it's radically changing the game from being a tough game for tough guys to a game the girls can join in. Sorta misses the point of footballs place in toughening up boys into men.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Well Aiea and Kahuku played.

I don't think we'll see the effect of all these CTE studies until 2–4 years when the current freshmen and middle schoolers reach the varsity level. The current football players are going to continue to play regardless of whatever new studies come out because they're already in too deep. But middle school is the time when kids either start playing football or when they stop, so I think that's where we'll see parents holding out their kids over the next few years.

But Kaiser and Castle are some good examples of low numbers also being due to the coaches who are running the program. Castle had a much bigger turnout this year with a new head coach.

I think the lack of a three-tier system is a part of it too. You would hope kids want to play for the love of the game, but it's frustrating when not only does your team not win, but also get blown out. Playing a sport is more than wins and losses and stats, but I can't imagine team camaraderie or school spirit from classmates being much fun either when you're losing badly all the time. Level the playing field. Although even then, it's still crazy to see blowouts between teams like Radford and Aiea, who both also have to play Kahuku too

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@rrforlifebaby: I think it's mostly demographics, and of course, this concerns public high schools only, because only public high schools enroll by geographic area. Some public high schools are located in geographic areas that simply don't have as many teens as they may have had say, twenty years ago. I think a good example of that is Kaiser High. Those of us of a certain age or higher, recall how they were kicking almost everyone's butts back in the late-'70s and early-'80s. Heck, back in the late-'70s, Kaiser could beat St Louis. Now, Kaiser has what, 20 players on their roster? Campbell High whips them, what, 72-0? As for Aiea High, I don't know. I would think that their geographic area should have enough teens, seeing as it's in central Oahu, where there has been more substantial population growth than in East Honolulu. So, I don't know why Aiea would have a relatively small roster. It could be a "school spirit" / morale thing; Aiea hasn't had a really good team for what, at least twenty years? So, I would say Aiea is something of an anomaly. I think it's usually a matter of how many teens there are in a (public) high school's geographic area.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

My guess regarding Aiea High School's low numbers is that there is no housing growth there. It's an older community, just like most areas in Honolulu and Windward communities. All of the growth is out west and that's where the younger families can afford homes.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.