Cross Country 2017

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
hzy
High-quality H20 provider

Cross Country 2017

Post by hzy »

Cross country season is about to get going. Anybody have any thoughts?

Iolani looks to have a super-team returning on the boys side. Seabury girls bring almost everyone back. Any other contenders and challengers? Just the usual suspects (Punahou, Kamehameha, HPA, etc.)?

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Cross Country 2017

Post by whoewa70 »

I haven't posted in on sportshawaii in awhile. Actually didn't even notice that hzy had started this discussion.

I think it's pretty clear cut at the top for both boys and girls with Iolani and Seabury Hall/Punahou respectively. As for the runner-up spots, I think Kalaheo on the boys side is still pretty strong with some JV boys able to move up. Coach Peter Jay and Stan Roth have built a really good program in a short amount of time. Lots of talent from the influx of military families. For the girls side, whoever doesn't win the top spot between Punahou and Seabury Hall have to settle for 2nd in the State. Being the top team in their respective division will guarantee each the Championship trophy. Kamehameha could figure into the runner-up spot for Division I as it has a great group of youngsters who will be around for a few years. The flip flop of Kamehameha's boys and girls strength is pretty significant, I think the Kamehameha girls will be among the favorites for the State title for the next 2-3 years. Of course...my opinion.

It's going to be more interesting on the individual level. Seems like Colby Otero and Veronica Winham are the early season, well mid-season now, favorites but don't count out the following:

GIRLS: Jordan Jones (Pac-5/St. Andrew's Priory), Gianna Sbarbaro (Le Jardin), Mel Lum (Punahou)
BOYS: Jason Wang (Iolani), Nick Arima (Iolani), Hudson Lockette (Castle), Aaron Shiinoki (Punahou)

Iolani Invitational was a great showcase, but again it was a shorter, faster course as evidenced by all the PRs. The States course at Island School is the flattest of all the State courses, so it will be a fast race. I am just enjoying the season and hoping everyone stays healthy and injury-free.

hzy

Re: Cross Country 2017

Post by hzy »

Seabury girls have actually moved up to DI this season, hoping to get their due as the top girls team in the state. It will be interesting on the boys side. I don't see any team with depth past their fourth runner, aside from Iolani. Waiakea on the Big Island might be a sleeper for the runner-up trophy too. This Saturday's race at Punahou should be a good barometer before the league championships.