unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by unpaid »

Week Twelve,

1.Lahainaluna 9-1 MIL D-II champs
2.Waipahu 9-0 DNP No.3 Pearl City next for OIA D-II championship.
3.Pearl City 7-2 See above.
4.Konawaena 8-2 BIIF D-II champions.
5.St.Francis 8-3 Beat Damien but have to play them one more time to decide who wins ILH D-II this year.
6.Damien 8-3 See above.
7.Kauai 5-3 KIF champions.
8.Kamehameha-Hawaii 7-4 drop one spot with loss to Konawaena. Season over.
9. Kaimuki 5-4 SO.
10. Roosevelt 4-4 SO.

Lahainaluna should get the number one seed going into the D-II state tournament.Iolani is unranked and would seem to be the four seed.The Lunas should get Iolani in the semi-finals.That would leave the other semi with Konawaena playing either Waipahu or Pearl City.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

If Waipahu beats Pearl City Kona should travel to Waipahu to play them there. If Pearl City wins, Pearl city should travel to Kona to play. I don't see Kona being seeded higher than Waipahu after the season they've had.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Getreal$,

I agree with your summary. If Waipahu wins, they would be an undefeated league champ and should host a semifinal. If Pearl City wins the OIA then , relative to Konawaena, you are looking at two league champs who both have 2 losses. In this case, I think Kona should host because this will be their third consecutive year of playoff appearances, while Pearl City is not close to having Konawaena's recent string of consecutive playoff seasons.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Waipahu being undefeated is a nice notch on their resume, but Nanakuli (1-7) as your out of conference win don’t help you. Waialua losing to one of the worse BIIF teams didn’t help. Questions surrounding the strength of the OIA going back to last year doesn’t help either. Waipahu and Waialua looked great last season till they hit the state tournament. After both teams lost in the first round most people realized the OIA D2 was down.

What is preseason games? Should the state panel penalize Lahainaluna for losing to Kapalama? Should they reward Kona for beating KS Hawaii twice, the same team that beat MIL D1 champ Maui 24-0? Kona beat Hilo, who throttled Iolani, who a week later dominated Kaimuki. It gets to be too much of a process to string preseason out. If a team like Kona didn’t schedule any preseason games, they would be 8-0 and maybe derserving of a 1 seed? That’s why I feel the state panel will reward Kona for a 8-0 league record. Their 2 losses were to potential D1 league champs. KS Hawaii and Hilo just seems to hold more weight on a schedule. I’m not saying Kona is better than Waipahu, but seeding and rankings are never the perfect measure.

I think the D2 tournament is gonna be great! Iolani and Lahainaluna would be an awesome game and I hope they match them up.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

@ University Ave-

You make great points and although I feel the Maui team that lost to KS Hawaii in preseason was a watered down AP riddled team, KS Hawaii and Hilo are legit teams. One thing I know for sure is Luna's at 1 and the DII tournament will be exciting no doubt.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Yea no doubt Maui was not full force during their loss to KS Hawaii, but neither is any other team playing in the first two weeks. Brackets came out today and it’s exactly what I predicted. Gonna be a great tournament.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The only games this week,

No.2 Waipahu and No.3 Pearl City.

Waipahu's offense is peaking.The Marauders have improved a lot on defense this year over last year. I think Waipahu wins it.

No.5 St.Francis and No.6 Damien.

I've said this before, Damien has won this matchup when a trip to states was on the line in recent years. Picking the Monarchs to win.

Seems quiet compared to last year on the football front.Of course, there were 20 teams chasing a state title in the three divisions in 2016.Only 12 this year.
Last edited by unpaid on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:24 am The only games this week,

No.2 Waipahu and No.3 Pearl City.

Waipahu's offense is peaking.The Marauders have improved a lot on defense this year over last year. I think Waipahu wins it.

No.5 St.Francis and No.6 Damien.

I've said this before, Damien has won this matchup when a trip to states was on the line in recent years. Picking the Monarchs to win.

Seems quiet compared to last year on the football front.Of course, there were 18 teams chasing a state title in the three divisions in 2016.Only 12 this year.
@unpaid: Regarding St Francis, yeah. I thought they would beat Damien by two TDs, but instead they only squeaked-by by one point. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if Damien wins the next one, seeing as I had underestimated them so badly, but still: Only one point separated the two teams the last time. Guess the game could go either way.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

I'm predicting Waipahu by 24 and Damien by 6. For selfish reasons I'd like to see Konawaena at home against Waipahu. Basically two of the hottest DII teams coming into the playoffs, outside of steady Lahainaluna, that will feature two teams with balanced offenses and a tough defense.

Damien vs St. Francis to me is a toss-up. Either one will represent well in the DI playoffs, but I feel Damien will do just enough to pullout a close one.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Thirteen,

1.Lahainaluna 9-1 DNP. Lunas move on to D-II states.
2.Waipahu 10-0 OIA D-II champs.
3.Konawaena 8-2 DNP. Wildcats move onto D-II states.
4.Damien 9-4 ILH D-II champs. Monarchs move on to D-I state tournament.
5.Pearl City 7-3 drop two spots with loss to Waipahu. Season over.
6.St.Francis 8-4 drop one spot with loss to Damien. SO.
7.Kauai 5-3 Moves onto D-I state tournament.
8.Kamehameha-Hawaii 7-4 SO.
9.Kaimuki 5-4 SO.
10.Roosevelt 4-4 SO.

Rankings from here on out could get interesting.Kauai and Damien now play D-I competition while Lahainaluna and Konawaena continue to play D-II. Just for fun,Let's say that Damien wins the D-I title against Hilo.Then, let's say Lahainaluna wins the D-II championship. I would have a situation where The Lunas win D-II and had been ranked Number One most of the last half of the year.....but Damien would have a victory over a strong D-I opponent in the D-I title game. Might there be an argument that Damien could wind up in the top spot over Lahainaluna. It could get weird, although my guess is Hilo will see that scenario doesn't happen.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

D-II state tournament

No.2 Waipahu and No.3 Konawaena

Waipahu has a decided edge in passing and rushing stats.Heavy edge. I think the Marauder D is better than the Wildcat D. Both squads have beaten D-I competition, but Kona's win over Hilo was surely better than Waipahu's win over Nanakuli.To me,the deciding factor will be the superior Marauder run game. Going with Waipahu to advance to the D-II title game.

No.1 Lahainaluna and unranked Iolani

I think the previous two years knocking heads with the ILH Big Three have really taken a toll on Iolani's football program. Their return to D-II has been less than stellar as Damien and St.Francis have welcomed Iolani to the new normal in ILH D-II. I have to think Lahainaluna takes this matchup and goes to the D-II final.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:27 pm D-II state tournament

Waipahu has a decided edge in passing and rushing stats.Heavy edge. I think the Marauder D is better than the Wildcat D. Both squads have beaten D-I competition, but Kona's win over Hilo was surely better than Waipahu's win over Nanakuli.To me,the deciding factor will be the superior Marauder run game. Going with Waipahu to advance to the D-II title game.

I think the previous two years knocking heads with the ILH Big Three have really taken a toll on Iolani's football program. Their return to D-II has been less than stellar as Damien and St.Francis have welcomed Iolani to the new normal in ILH D-II. I have to think Lahainaluna takes this matchup and goes to the D-II final.
@unpaid: Regarding Iolani, I think the primary reason they've been vulnerable is the small size of both their O- and D-lines. I don't think it's so much knocking heads with the ILH Big Three; they didn't even play them this year. Iolani has an outstanding pass game, and while their run game isn't that hot, neither is St Louis', and look at how good St Louis is. Again, I think Iolani's problem is their undersized O- and D-lines. I think their undersized D-line is the bigger problem, because they can't stop other schools' run games. If you have a big O-line and a decent RB, Iolani's defensive front-seven can't stop you from moving the chains and eventually scoring.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:27 pm D-II state tournament

Konawaena will get worn down over three qtrs, then Waipahu's running game will eat up chunks of yards. Unfortunately for Ewing, he doesn't have the supporting cast to overcome this D. Waipahu by 17

Iolani can't stop the run and although they have a potent passing game, playing without Genovia is huge. Lahainaluna by 24

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Very close games last night.

Lahainaluna's defense was able to hold off Iolani's late game charge to win.The Luna's had a monster night on the ground to win. They have another high-octane offensive opponent in the finals.Should be good.

What can you say about Konawaena-Waipahu? I think most of us thought this would be a shootout, but they outdid my expectations. The lucky ones were the fans who got to see the game,I think. Konawaena has their work cut out for them in the finals. Can Lahainaluna hold back that Wildcat air game enough to win in the finals?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:43 am Very close games last night.

Lahainaluna's defense was able to hold off Iolani's late game charge to win.The Luna's had a monster night on the ground to win. They have another high-octane offensive opponent in the finals.Should be good.

What can you say about Konawaena-Waipahu? I think most of us thought this would be a shootout, but they outdid my expectations. The lucky ones were the fans who got to see the game,I think. Konawaena has their work cut out for them in the finals. Can Lahainaluna hold back that Wildcat air game enough to win in the finals?
I must say I didn't expect that type of game. Kona came out firing and it took awhile for Waipahu to wake up, but when they did, they still had a difficult time getting stops on D and all they needed was one. To me the difference in this game wasn't the offense or lack of defense, it was the extra points. Kona took advantage of a great kicker while Waipahu went for two and failed on numerous attempts. That was the difference in the game.