unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:37 am Regarding the D2 state tournament, I hope the committee gives Lahainaluna and Waipahu the top seeds. The way those two teams have played speaks for itself.
@gopunahou: Good point. I suspect that those two schools will play for the state D2 title.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

I'm excited to watch the BIIF DII championship game between KSH and Konawaena. The last two match-ups dating back to last years championship game was decided by on play. Both plays were turnovers inside the red zone by KSH's QB. This year KSH has a different look on offense that features their runners instead of the wide open pass game. Konawaena is undefeated in league play but I believe KSH will take this game and win the championship.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Waipahu has been throttling teams no doubt. But don’t be misled, the OIA may be very weak. Very similar to when Radford ran thru the OIA in their undefeated season, when they got to the state tournament, they were tested by Konawaena and Kapaa. Unfortunately, the state committee doesn’t put a lot of emphasis on being undefeated. What holds weight is past performances and Waipahu getting throttled last year in the first round won’t help their case. Lahainaluna is an obvious shoe in for the top seed but even they have fallen off the past 2-3 weeks. Iolani/Lahaina matchup will be very intriguing. If Konawaena can win the BIIF, they have done well recently and although it may disappoint some fans, their resume is one that gets the second seed. Iolani gets the 4 seed because their league consists of 2 teams. Just my opinion.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

University Ave wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:39 am Waipahu has been throttling teams no doubt. But don’t be misled, the OIA may be very weak. Very similar to when Radford ran thru the OIA in their undefeated season, when they got to the state tournament, they were tested by Konawaena and Kapaa. Unfortunately, the state committee doesn’t put a lot of emphasis on being undefeated. What holds weight is past performances and Waipahu getting throttled last year in the first round won’t help their case. Lahainaluna is an obvious shoe in for the top seed but even they have fallen off the past 2-3 weeks. Iolani/Lahaina matchup will be very intriguing. If Konawaena can win the BIIF, they have done well recently and although it may disappoint some fans, their resume is one that gets the second seed. Iolani gets the 4 seed because their league consists of 2 teams. Just my opinion.
@University Ave: Agree that the OIA might be weak, but not Waipahu. I think Waipahu is the real deal this year. They are very tough, especially on O. I think it's going to be them against Lahainaluna for the state D2 title.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:08 pm
University Ave wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:39 am Waipahu has been throttling teams no doubt. But don’t be misled, the OIA may be very weak. Very similar to when Radford ran thru the OIA in their undefeated season, when they got to the state tournament, they were tested by Konawaena and Kapaa. Unfortunately, the state committee doesn’t put a lot of emphasis on being undefeated. What holds weight is past performances and Waipahu getting throttled last year in the first round won’t help their case. Lahainaluna is an obvious shoe in for the top seed but even they have fallen off the past 2-3 weeks. Iolani/Lahaina matchup will be very intriguing. If Konawaena can win the BIIF, they have done well recently and although it may disappoint some fans, their resume is one that gets the second seed. Iolani gets the 4 seed because their league consists of 2 teams. Just my opinion.
@University Ave: Agree that the OIA might be weak, but not Waipahu. I think Waipahu is the real deal this year. They are very tough, especially on O. I think it's going to be them against Lahainaluna for the state D2 title.
This Waipahu team reminds me of the 2013 Kaiser team without all of the recruits.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

I do agree that Waipahu is a solid team. What concerns me about them is this how they've played first halves of games against their better opponents:

Pearl City: 0-0
Kaimuki 14-7
Roosevelt 9-0

I just don't see the dominance. On paper, what they return on offense is unreal. They are multi dimensional and it's only a matter of time before Failauga gets his yards. Amorozo is good and teams have a dilemma in defending their receivers. When you hit the state playoffs, teams are just sound defensively as Lahaina showed them last year.

Defensively, they're playing well. OIA DII is a run dominant league with the exception of Kalani (faced Falcons without Tina-Soberano) and Kaimuki. Defensively they're stopping the run and blowing teams out in second halves because running teams are forced to throw. Not sure if they're that good defensively or is it a result of bad offense?

Slow starts and the lack of a close quality game will hurt them in the state playoffs. In fact, I believe Pearl City has a great shot of beating them next week. I don't think this team is ready to be mentioned with the 2013 Kaiser or 2015 Radford squad for that matter. Those squads were dominant defensively and had power run games to compliment their defense. Pearl City will make adjustments and make it a good one in the OIA Championship game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

University Ave wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:37 am I do agree that Waipahu is a solid team. What concerns me about them is this how they've played first halves of games against their better opponents:

Pearl City: 0-0
Kaimuki 14-7
Roosevelt 9-0

I just don't see the dominance. On paper, what they return on offense is unreal. They are multi dimensional and it's only a matter of time before Failauga gets his yards. Amorozo is good and teams have a dilemma in defending their receivers. When you hit the state playoffs, teams are just sound defensively as Lahaina showed them last year.

Defensively, they're playing well. OIA DII is a run dominant league with the exception of Kalani (faced Falcons without Tina-Soberano) and Kaimuki. Defensively they're stopping the run and blowing teams out in second halves because running teams are forced to throw. Not sure if they're that good defensively or is it a result of bad offense?

Slow starts and the lack of a close quality game will hurt them in the state playoffs. In fact, I believe Pearl City has a great shot of beating them next week. I don't think this team is ready to be mentioned with the 2013 Kaiser or 2015 Radford squad for that matter. Those squads were dominant defensively and had power run games to compliment their defense. Pearl City will make adjustments and make it a good one in the OIA Championship game.
@University Ave: Didn't Waipahu beat Pearl City something like 37-6 several weeks ago? I mean, I prefer Pearl City to Waipahu, but how does Pearl City change that kind of scoring math this week? We're talking about a turnaround of over four TDs. That will take a lot of adjustments. I mean, both Pearl City's DC and OC have a lot to worry about, it would seem. Pearl City has that outstanding DE, Tupuola-Fetui, but Waipahu's O still posted five TDs (three on the ground, two through the air).

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Yes Waipahu definitely ran away with it in the fourth quarter. I believe it was still a good game till Waiapahu scored a couple late td’s. I wouldn’t be too concerned about the final score of their previous meeting, Waiaphu’s offense depends a lot on rythm and if PC can interrupt that, they will make it tough. The only concern is if Cooper is playing for Pearl City. He missed the last game against Kaimuki and they will need their horses to make it a game. PC has to figure out how to put points in the board. They won’t win the way they’ve been scoring against their better competition.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

University Ave wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:34 pm Yes Waipahu definitely ran away with it in the fourth quarter. I believe it was still a good game till Waiapahu scored a couple late td’s. I wouldn’t be too concerned about the final score of their previous meeting, Waiaphu’s offense depends a lot on rythm and if PC can interrupt that, they will make it tough. The only concern is if Cooper is playing for Pearl City. He missed the last game against Kaimuki and they will need their horses to make it a game. PC has to figure out how to put points in the board. They won’t win the way they’ve been scoring against their better competition.
@University Ave: That's right. Pearl City's last game, against Kaimuki, was a 7-0 nailbiter. I don't know how to interpret that. Is Kaimuki that good, that they could hold Pearl City to 7 points? Or, is Pearl City's O not that good after all? Didn't Pearl City win late, on a lucky play? It didn't surprise me that Pearl City shut-out Kaimuki; they have a pretty good D led by DE Tupuola-Fetui. Yet, Pearl City's O scored only 7. So, I think you're right that Pearl City's O needs to be more productive. Again, I would prefer to see Pearl City win, but it seems that they're going to have a tough time. I think Waipahu is the clear favorite here.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:00 pm
University Ave wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:34 pm Yes Waipahu definitely ran away with it in the fourth quarter. I believe it was still a good game till Waiapahu scored a couple late td’s. I wouldn’t be too concerned about the final score of their previous meeting, Waiaphu’s offense depends a lot on rythm and if PC can interrupt that, they will make it tough. The only concern is if Cooper is playing for Pearl City. He missed the last game against Kaimuki and they will need their horses to make it a game. PC has to figure out how to put points in the board. They won’t win the way they’ve been scoring against their better competition.
@University Ave: That's right. Pearl City's last game, against Kaimuki, was a 7-0 nailbiter. I don't know how to interpret that. Is Kaimuki that good, that they could hold Pearl City to 7 points? Or, is Pearl City's O not that good after all? Didn't Pearl City win late, on a lucky play? It didn't surprise me that Pearl City shut-out Kaimuki; they have a pretty good D led by DE Tupuola-Fetui. Yet, Pearl City's O scored only 7. So, I think you're right that Pearl City's O needs to be more productive. Again, I would prefer to see Pearl City win, but it seems that they're going to have a tough time. I think Waipahu is the clear favorite here.
OK, need to make some corrections. It wasn't Pearl City's O that scored the TD; it was special teams (specifically, the punt-return team. One of Pearl City's players ran the punt back for a TD). Furthermore, the Pearl City player had picked-up the ball at the Kaimuki 31, as Kaimuki's punter made a very short kick from deep in his own territory. The TD run, therefore, was 31 yards. It's not like the Pearl City player returned the ball 90 yards or something. So, that raises even more questions about Pearl City's O, as the O didn't score at all. If you ask me, Pearl City is defense-heavy, but are only so-so on O.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.4 Damien and No.6 St.Francis. The Monarchs have won the rubber match against the Saints the past two years. I think Damien continues the streak and gets to D-I states.

No.5 Konawaena and No.7 Kamehameha-Hawaii. I think the defenses are a wash. Konawaena has the better offense and should score enough to win this game whether it's raining or not. I think the Wildcats advance to D-II states.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:12 pm Headliners this week,

No.4 Damien and No.6 St.Francis. The Monarchs have won the rubber match against the Saints the past two years. I think Damien continues the streak and gets to D-I states.

No.5 Konawaena and No.7 Kamehameha-Hawaii. I think the defenses are a wash. Konawaena has the better offense and should score enough to win this game whether it's raining or not. I think the Wildcats advance to D-II states.
@unpaid: I don't know about Damien. St Francis smashed Damien 19-0 the last game they met, and what really surprised me is that St Francis next smashed Iolani, 43-19. I think St Francis might prevail over Damien; seems St Francis' run game has really caught fire.

charlee808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by charlee808 »

[quote=unpaid post_id=584631 time=1508465526 user_id=3265]
Headliners this week,

[/quote]

Damien just got lucky last year when St. Francis lost both their QB and RB in the same play early in the game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

charlee808 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 pm
unpaid wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:12 pm Headliners this week,

Damien just got lucky last year when St. Francis lost both their QB and RB in the same play early in the game.
@charlee808: Yeah. And, St Francis just seems to have more of everything than Damien right now, especially in their run game. Also, St Francis really did a number on Iolani last time they played them. At first I thought Damien was run-heavy, but I checked their stats, and they seem to be more pass-heavy. Well, Iolani is pass-heavy, too, but that didn't help them enough against St Francis. And, while Damien has a better run game than Iolani, that didn't seem to help them enough against St Francis either, as they were shut-out the last time they played them.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

I was wrong, KS Hawaii came out in the spread instead of their running sets and it didn't work at all. Defense played tough as usual but on offense its the same script, one kid they go to the whole game and Kona figured it out fast. Kona wins third straight BIIF championship.