unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by Neighbor »

It sucks more people aren't into non-D1 football. It's understandable tho. Everyone is a frontrunner and only wants to really care about the top echelon of talent. But D2 football can be fun to watch. Although you can still have pass-heavy teams like Waipahu, Konawaena, Iolani, etc. the rest of is still kind of that classic pure brand of football or running the ball and seeing teams eat away at defenses

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:56 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm
unpaid wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:23 pm Lahainaluna wins 75-69 over Konawaena.Just wow!
@unpaid: Isn't it ridiculous? Looks more like a basketball score. Both schools have poor D.
Keep in mind the game went to 7 overtimes.
@gopunahou: And that, too, is ridiculous. If a school can't win a football game within at least three OTs, that school's D sucks. Even three OTs are ridiculous.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 pm It sucks more people aren't into non-D1 football. It's understandable tho. Everyone is a frontrunner and only wants to really care about the top echelon of talent. But D2 football can be fun to watch. Although you can still have pass-heavy teams like Waipahu, Konawaena, Iolani, etc. the rest of is still kind of that classic pure brand of football or running the ball and seeing teams eat away at defenses
@Neighbor: You've made a very good point. After all, a school's football team can vary widely in strength from one year to another, based primarily on how many starters were seniors the year before. We know that there are D2 schools that can beat D1 schools. For example, D2 Waipahu obviously would have beaten D1 Kaiser, if they had played each other. For me, I follow D1 a bit more closely primarily because there are D1 schools that I'd like to see lose. If a school is in D2, it's down a peg by virtue of simply being in D2. If a school is D1, and I don't particularly like that school, then I focus more attention on that school, because I'd like to see it lose. Of course, I didn't feel this way about Kaiser. I don't like Kaiser High, but they suffered enough humiliation and embarrassment because of what happened to their team and their season. It got to the point where I felt sorry for them. By contrast, I wanted to see St Louis lose to Kahuku, because I felt it was time for St Louis to eat humble pie. It came very close to happening.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

My final analysis for the 2017 season. Konawaena overachieved in my opinion, but it goes to show how established programs with good coaching can reload year after year and be competitive with less. Kamehameha Hawaii was my pick to win the BIIF DII championship this year, but they underachieved as they've done the past few years, loaded with talent other schools would drool over but changing systems and coaching almost every year makes it difficult to insert kids into an ever changing program. It seemed like they tried the Lahainaluna style offense and a little spread using three or four QB's, hard to get into a rhythm going back and forth trying to find yourself. Defense has been their strength and continues to be, but its hard to keep your D on the field the whole game and expect to pull out good close games like they've had against Kona. Hopefully Honokaa and HPA can get back to their glory days and make the 2018 season a competitive one.

Congratulations to Konawaena and their seniors on a great season, it will be hard to replace Ewing and Mariani-Lewis but Kona seems to do it year after year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Getreal$ wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:48 am My final analysis for the 2017 season. Konawaena overachieved in my opinion, but it goes to show how established programs with good coaching can reload year after year and be competitive with less. Kamehameha Hawaii was my pick to win the BIIF DII championship this year, but they underachieved as they've done the past few years, loaded with talent other schools would drool over but changing systems and coaching almost every year makes it difficult to insert kids into an ever changing program. It seemed like they tried the Lahainaluna style offense and a little spread using three or four QB's, hard to get into a rhythm going back and forth trying to find yourself. Defense has been their strength and continues to be, but its hard to keep your D on the field the whole game and expect to pull out good close games like they've had against Kona. Hopefully Honokaa and HPA can get back to their glory days and make the 2018 season a competitive one.

Congratulations to Konawaena and their seniors on a great season, it will be hard to replace Ewing and Mariani-Lewis but Kona seems to do it year after year.
@Getreal$: Why can't Kamehameha-Hawaii use some common sense and aim for some continuity and stability? Don't they know that if they keep changing coaches and/or systems, the players will find it hard to master one program? Makes you wonder why some schools have more coaching turnover than others.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

@HS Football Fanatic - Thats a good question, I don't know the reason but I do know its not talent cause they're loaded with talent. What I do know, when it comes to KS Hawaii, is defense doesn't win championships if offense can't score. Thats been their problem since 2014, can't score in critical games to win the championship, even with an experienced offensive unit that featured three year starters and a QB that played as a freshman and is now a junior. Hopefully they figure it out next year or it will be a long drought thereafter.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Getreal$ wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:02 pm @HS Football Fanatic - Thats a good question, I don't know the reason but I do know its not talent cause they're loaded with talent. What I do know, when it comes to KS Hawaii, is defense doesn't win championships if offense can't score. Thats been their problem since 2014, can't score in critical games to win the championship, even with an experienced offensive unit that featured three year starters and a QB that played as a freshman and is now a junior. Hopefully they figure it out next year or it will be a long drought thereafter.
@Getreal$: I wouldn't hold my breath. Looks like Kamehameha-Hawaii's problem is the same as sister-school Kamehameha-Kapalama's problem: Lots of talent, but not much offensive output.