unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by bandits1 »

Damn, Pearl City, Waipahu and Kaimuki don't get to square off with one another until the latter part of the season, so it's gonna hard for the Chargers to climb up too far in the rankings unless someone gets upset. I doubt that will happen, though, since it's already clear that those three are the ones to beat in the OIA D2.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Pretty interesting that a lot of those teams are playing each other back-to-back. Especially Waialua who has to play all three plus Kalani in a row. I guess that's what happens when you're defending champs

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.5 Iolani and No.6 Kaimuki.

I had said earlier in the year that I would not be surprised if Iolani won the D-II title this year. That Loss to Hilo has me wondering ,though. The Raiders would not have lost that game last year. Kaimuki proved last week that they could get into a high scoring contest and do enough on defense to win. So far Iolani has proven that they can't count on their defense to win if both teams go over 30 points. I am going with Kaimuki for the win here.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Four,

1.Lahainaluna 3-1
2.Damien 2-1 DNP No.5 Iolani next.
3.Waipahu 3-0
4.St.Francis 2-1 DNP
5.Iolani 1-1 Outgunned Kaimuki. No.2 Damien next.
6.Pearl City 3-1
7.Kaimuki 2-1
8.Kapaa 2-0 DNP
9.Honokaa 2-0 D-I No.9 Hilo next.
10.Kamehameha-Hawaii 3-1 Warriors slip into the top ten.

Waimea dropped out with the loss to Kauai.

The question in my mind has been is Iolani good enough to go back to dominating in D-II? If they can go unbeaten in ILH D-II,the Raiders might be primed to win it all like they used to. Some answers to the question should come next weekend.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Well Iolani winning big was a surprise to me

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:24 pm Well Iolani winning big was a surprise to me
Not a surprise to me, Iolani has a really good QB and coaching and maybe Hilo is actually pretty good?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Yeah but Kaimuki is really good too. Their QB solomon has improved a ton and I thought if anything they'd be able to just mow Iolani down with their running game.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Neighbor wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:11 pm Yeah but Kaimuki is really good too. Their QB solomon has improved a ton and I thought if anything they'd be able to just mow Iolani down with their running game.
Difference is Hilo's defense is physical and deep and their offense can score fast or on sustained drives to eat the clock. I get the neighbor island teams need to earn their respect and unfortunately if they beat an Oahu team like Iolani, the Oahu team is labeled "the worst Iolani team since 2003!" So getting back to my previous comment about Iolani beating Kaimuki...I wasn't surprised because Iolani lost to a really good Hilo team.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

2017 Hilo is the best BIIF team since I've been in Hawaii, since 1989.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I'm following local teams on the Internet for the first time tonight. Just finished the first half of the Radford-Centennial,OR game.

I thought the Rams were a little better on the line play and definitely had the edge on defense. Radford took a 6-0 lead into halftime. The Ram offense is my main concern. This is nothing new this year or last year. They mostly come out in these four wide ,one back sets and the ball usually is an incomplete pass to a receiver that had a defender hanging all over him. Lucky they didn't have any interceptions in the first half. Guess what happened on their scoring drive.... Surprise, Radford ran the ball mostly with #9 Tauai moving the rock on the ground. Then,the scoring play was a slant pass to Cameron Copeland coming across the field towards the middle.He had separation from his defenders and took it to the house.

Going to see if I can pick up the Mililani game next.
Last edited by unpaid on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mililani game requires a subscription fee. Not interested. I'll go back to the Radford game.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Final Centennial 14-Radford 12.

The two Radford scoring drives were run first with one or two passes thrown in. The rest of the time, it was pass first with no points to show for the effort. The Ram QB is a better runner than passer,and his most telling passes came on those two scoring ground drives where the completions he made were either moving the chains or scored a TD. It's time to take two of those four receivers and make them a second runner/blocker/ tight end and mix things up to confuse opposing defenses.

Centennial made their points by attacking the Rams wide. The Eagles finally figured it out in the second half. They made their two-point conversion.Radford didn't make their two-point try.

All in all,I have to say it was a close battle against evenly matched squads.I was pleased to see some Ram faithful in black and white in the stands. Go Rams!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Damien beats Iolani. Still some football to be played, but this is not the old D-II Iolani used to play in. It will be interesting to see the St. Francis-Iolani first round score.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Everyone sleeping on Damien but as long as Faufata Pedrina is there, they'll be just fine

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Five,

1.Lahainaluna 4-0
2.Damien 3-1 Beat Iolani.
3.Waipahu 3-0 DNP
4.St.Francis 2-1 DNP No.7 Iolani next.
5.Pearl City 4-1
6.Kaimuki 3-1
7.Iolani 1-2 Drops two spots after loss to Damien
8.Kapaa 3-0
9.Kamehameha-Hawaii 4-1
10.Kamehameha-Maui 3-1 Warriors are building a good season quietly on Maui.

Honokaa dropped out with the loss to Hilo. Dragons face Konawaena next.

How motivated is Iolani going to be after Damien beat them? My guess is plenty. Iolani-St.Francis should be a great battle next weekend.