unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by gopunahou »

Regardless of what happens, St. Louis (should they reach the title game) will face the two teams that finish 1-2 in the OIA.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 pm Regardless of what happens, St. Louis (should they reach the title game) will face the two teams that finish 1-2 in the OIA.
@gopunahou: Yeah, I guess that is right. The Seeding Committee wouldn't put the top two OIA teams in the same bracket. But, I'm assuming that St Louis won't be in Kahuku's bracket, which would mean St Louis would play Mililani first.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

genks wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:06 pm What is everyone’s feeling with Mililani vs Kahuku? A Kahuku fan once said “everyone looks good till they play Kahuku” I kind of agree. It’s that defense. Any team that plays Kahuku needs to be in the best shape of their life. You KNOW there’s a good chance your defense gets stuck out there so they can’t allow the Kahuku rbs to start breaking runs for 20+ yards. I’m not real sure where Mililani’s defense is at. I gotta favor Kahuku till they get beat.
sort of like Mike Tysons quote "Everybody has a plan, until you get punched in the mouth".

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

reignjah11 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 pm Anyone know how the open division tournament will be seeded? Just curious because Saint Louis could be the #1 seed but have the harder road to the championship if they keep that rule where the OIA 2 team is on the opposite side of the bracket to the OIA 1 team. It should be the 1 seed plays the OIA 3rd place team.
I’m gonna assume Kahuku, Mililani, and Waianae are the 3 OIA teams heading into the tournament.

The OIA finals will most likely be Kahuku vs Mililani. If we go with #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 the. We will end up with STL vs Waianae and a back to back rematch Kahuku vs Mililani. My guess is they won’t let that happen and STL will play OIA 2nd place and Waianae will play OIA winner.

This is also assuming my boys get past Kam this weekend.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:11 pm
reignjah11 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 pm Anyone know how the open division tournament will be seeded? Just curious because Saint Louis could be the #1 seed but have the harder road to the championship if they keep that rule where the OIA 2 team is on the opposite side of the bracket to the OIA 1 team. It should be the 1 seed plays the OIA 3rd place team.
I’m gonna assume Kahuku, Mililani, and Waianae are the 3 OIA teams heading into the tournament.

The OIA finals will most likely be Kahuku vs Mililani. If we go with #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 the. We will end up with STL vs Waianae and a back to back rematch Kahuku vs Mililani. My guess is they won’t let that happen and STL will play OIA 2nd place and Waianae will play OIA winner.

@genks: I agree with your seeding proposal. A St Louis v Waianae game would be boring; St Louis would win handily. And, who would want to see Kahuku and Mililani play each other again? A St Louis v Mililani game would be very intriguing; St Louis would have to be the favorite, but Mililani's O could gave St Louis' D a lot of headaches.

Finally, I think you can be 95% sure that St Louis will beat Kamehameha. While victory is virtually assured, St Louis needs to be concerned about possible injuries. I think Kamehameha understands that this will probably be their last game, and that there's "no tomorrow." So, their players just might adopt a kind of kamikaze mentality, playing wild, crazy, and very physical. After all, what do they have to lose except the game, which they almost certainly will lose? And, Kamehameha is just as big and physical as St Louis.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:31 pm

@genks: I agree with your seeding proposal. A St Louis v Waianae game would be boring; St Louis would win handily. And, who would want to see Kahuku and Mililani play each other again? A St Louis v Mililani game would be very intriguing; St Louis would have to be the favorite, but Mililani's O could gave St Louis' D a lot of headaches.

Finally, I think you can be 95% sure that St Louis will beat Kamehameha. While victory is virtually assured, St Louis needs to be concerned about possible injuries. I think Kamehameha understands that this will probably be their last game, and that there's "no tomorrow." So, their players just might adopt a kind of kamikaze mentality, playing wild, crazy, and very physical. After all, what do they have to lose except the game, which they almost certainly will lose? And, Kamehameha is just as big and physical as St Louis.
If Kamehameha beats St. Louis, they gotta play 'em again. They need two victories over St. Louis to win the ILH.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I’m interested to see how Mililani does against Waianae. That would be the only common opponent they could share with STL. Mililani looks very good so far. I favor Mililani heavily to win, curious how they look doing it

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:48 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:31 pm

If Kamehameha beats St. Louis, they gotta play 'em again. They need two victories over St. Louis to win the ILH.
@genks: Yes, I know that, but what I was trying to say is that Kamehameha will likely fall behind early in this weekend's game, and it will probably become apparent soon enough to them that they likely won't win, especially if and when St Louis widens its lead. Then, realizing their season is about to end, they might try to get crazy physical with St Louis, out of frustration. Obviously that would be bad and wrong, but when kids come this far and their season is about to end, things like that can happen.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@ HS That wasn’t me

I’m excited to see how the Crusaders look after a much needed bye. Hopefully rested, and HUNGRY.

Also curious to see what adjustments Coach Cal and Coach Ron will make for this game. I’m sure Coach Ma’afala will also have a few new ideas

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 pm I’m interested to see how Mililani does against Waianae. That would be the only common opponent they could share with STL. Mililani looks very good so far. I favor Mililani heavily to win, curious how they look doing it
@genks: I agree that Mililani should be favored, but I don't know that they should be heavily favored. Yes, Mililani has a very good O, especially their pass game. But at the same time, Waianae is very physical, both on O and D. On O, Mililani will probably try to throw the ball a lot, given that they have such a good passer in Gabriel. On O, Waianae will probably try to run the ball, seeing as they have a good RB in Rosario. Looks like it might be a classic matchup of a pass-heavy team against a run-heavy team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:13 pm @ HS That wasn’t me

I’m excited to see how the Crusaders look after a much needed bye. Hopefully rested, and HUNGRY.

Also curious to see what adjustments Coach Cal and Coach Ron will make for this game. I’m sure Coach Ma’afala will also have a few new ideas
@genks: Yikes! Sorry, I just noticed that. Well, anyway, as you mentioned, that's another advantage that St Louis has: They're coming-off a bye week, which not only gave them some time for injuries to heal, but also makes them hungry to play, as you said. There's also another crucial question: Did Kamehameha have any injuries against Punahou? If they didn't, then the fact that they had to play last weekend might not be such a problem. As for coaching, I think Maafala is a good coach, but he's going up against Cal Lee, who's arguably the best coach in Hawaii high-school football. Obviously, the assistant coaches will play critical roles as well. I think Kamehameha's DC will have to really be at the top of his game. If Kamehameha is to win, they'll have to contain St Louis' potent pass game.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 pm

@genks: Yikes! Sorry, I just noticed that. Well, anyway, as you mentioned, that's another advantage that St Louis has: They're coming-off a bye week, which not only gave them some time for injuries to heal, but also makes them hungry to play, as you said. There's also another crucial question: Did Kamehameha have any injuries against Punahou? If they didn't, then the fact that they had to play last weekend might not be such a problem. As for coaching, I think Maafala is a good coach, but he's going up against Cal Lee, who's arguably the best coach in Hawaii high-school football. Obviously, the assistant coaches will play critical roles as well. I think Kamehameha's DC will have to really be at the top of his game. If Kamehameha is to win, they'll have to contain St Louis' potent pass game.
You mentioned Kam’s DC, can we give him a hand!? He’s made significant improvements against both Pun and STL after the first game. Not real sure if anyone from Kam suffered any injuries. I doubt they are too worn out, I believe they had a bye before their game with Punahou. This will only be their 2nd consecutive week

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:48 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 pm

You mentioned Kam’s DC, can we give him a hand!? He’s made significant improvements against both Pun and STL after the first game. Not real sure if anyone from Kam suffered any injuries. I doubt they are too worn out, I believe they had a bye before their game with Punahou. This will only be their 2nd consecutive week
@genks: Kamehameha's DC has only two small things to be thankful for against St Louis. 1.) Cal isn't the OC (right?). 2.) St Louis hardly runs, so Kamehameha's DC--don't even know his name--pretty much has to focus primarily on the pass game. Obviously he'd have a tougher time if St Louis had a strong run game, too.
Having said that, it's still difficult to contain St Louis' pass game, as it's so good. The only good thing Kamehameha has going on O is that they're more balanced. In addition to having a decent pass game (which is rare for Kamehameha), they can run the ball fairly well, too. Meanwhile, Kamehameha's D needs to have as strong a game as it did against Punahou.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Isn’t Lance Samuseva the DC?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.1 St.Louis and No.7 Kamehameha,

St.Louis still can't get it going on the ground even tough they are deadly through the air. SinceThomas Yam has returned from his injury.he has moved Kamehameha through the air to go along with a decent ground game.Going with the Warriors in an upset.

No.2 Mililani and No.4 Waianae,

This should be a close game.Waianae is the best defense the Trojans have faced so far. However,Mililani can beat you through the air and on the ground,especially with a healthy Malepeai. Mililani can play good defense too. Going with Mililani for the win.

No.3 Kahuku and No.5 Campbell,

The first time these teams played earlier in the year Kahuku dominated. Now, Kahuku is slowly adding a good passing attack to keep defenses guessing. So, if you can't beat the Red Raiders when they mostly ran the football, how are you going to stop them when they can pass as well. Kahuku to win.