unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:09 pm Man I don't think you can call a lack of RAC yards, inexperience. Not all receivers are good at that. Ethan Takayama was a great receiver. Could catch anything and break tackles and get an extra 3 or more yards. I don't think they all develop that ability when the db is right in their face.
Kanawai Noa was another receiver who was impossible to cover one-on-one.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:55 am Ok so this is what I can gather about Saint Louis shutting down Punahou, and I think most of it comes down to inexperience and I wanna say Saint Louis taking advantage of Punahou RB Kaufusi not playing. We all know Saint Louis has a lot of talent and speed, and this is the first time most of the Punahou starters (at least skill position-wise) are really playing against the Crusaders.

Saint Louis mostly just played Cover 1 man with five guys rushing most of the game. For a short while, they switched it up to 4-3 and 3-4 zone coverage just to throw Barber and the Punahou offense out of what little rhythm they had. Puns mostly ran four-wide pistol look, and without Kaufusi, they used them small RBs and they didn't do too well of a job in pass protection especially when a lot of their passing routes are long and crossing patterns.

They eventually started running shorter and quicker patterns, just to get the ball out to your WR to make a play. That usually works when you're not playing a Kahuku or any ILH team because of the talent and speed differential (like what MIlilani is able to do against everyone else in the OIA). So Punahou wasn't able to break these shorter passes for anything big, but the WR also weren't doing a good job of just taking what they could get and fight for an extra yard or two. They would either catch the ball and spin to their backside instead of just turning up the field, or they would try to backcut incoming defenders, which never worked. I think that's where some inexperience comes into play where these 5–7 yard gains end up being only 3–4 because they're not just taking what they can get. But I think Barber played better than the stats show. He at least targeted a lot of "correct" WRs and his legs also allowed him to extend some plays, but either WR just dropped the ball or he just wouldn't be accurate.

Punahou also tried running a pistol power package with a fullback, tailback, h-back, an either a TE with one WR or just two WR. Mostly tried to run some read-option and pitch option plays but Saint Louis just put 8 in the box and Punahou guys don't have enough speed to really be effective against Saint Louis when running that type of offense.
@Neighbor: OK, I take it, then, that Punahou's O-line is big but slow. But then again, most high-school O-lines that are big, are slow. If St Louis' D, by contrast, is that fast, well, the ILH D1 title is almost in St Louis' grasp.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

genks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:09 pm Man I don't think you can call a lack of RAC yards, inexperience. Not all receivers are good at that. Ethan Takayama was a great receiver. Could catch anything and break tackles and get an extra 3 or more yards. I don't think they all develop that ability when the db is right in their face.
Inexperience *playing against Saint Louis. This is the first time this WR corps is getting significant game reps against them. I agree that last year's WRs were just far more talented, but all that dancing and backcutting works against slower defenses and inferior competition, but not when you're playing a team loaded with talent and speed. You just gotta be patient and take what you can get. Same reason why Mililani used to struggle against the top tier of teams. They would just throw those bubbles and quick passes to their slots to get them the ball as quickly as possible to let them just try to make a play. But against the top teams, they just got eaten up.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Neighbor wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:06 pm
Inexperience *playing against Saint Louis. This is the first time this WR corps is getting significant game reps against them. I agree that last year's WRs were just far more talented, but all that dancing and backcutting works against slower defenses and inferior competition, but not when you're playing a team loaded with talent and speed. You just gotta be patient and take what you can get. Same reason why Mililani used to struggle against the top tier of teams. They would just throw those bubbles and quick passes to their slots to get them the ball as quickly as possible to let them just try to make a play. But against the top teams, they just got eaten up.
Oh ok gotcha. This will benefit the young guys in the long run on both teams. I was a nervous going into this game because Punahou is the best team STL has faced so far (usually works this way in our season) The first real test against a passing team, and the first real test against DBs that play.

I will be nervous all over again next time we meet Punahou in 2 weeks

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:32 pm
Neighbor wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:06 pm
Oh ok gotcha. This will benefit the young guys in the long run on both teams. I was a nervous going into this game because Punahou is the best team STL has faced so far (usually works this way in our season) The first real test against a passing team, and the first real test against DBs that play.

I will be nervous all over again next time we meet Punahou in 2 weeks
@genks: Well, if Punahou's O-line is slow, while St Louis' D is fast, the only way I can see that Punahou would be different two weeks out is if their big RB Kaufusi plays. And even if he does, I would imagine that St Louis' D can handle him, too. St Louis' D certainly handled Kamehameha RB Shannon, and though Shannon is smaller, I think he's better than Kaufusi. Also, if Punahou's O-line is slow, I don't think that they'd do a better job run-blocking than Kamehameha's O-line did. Further, while Punahou's O-line may be big, so is Kamehameha's O-line, right? And remember, St Louis won the first Punahou game by some 35 points. I'm not suggesting that St Louis should become complacent, but I would think that if anyone should be nervous, it should be Punahou fans.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@HS You can never underestimate that Punahou squad. I know I previously said I believe Coach Cal is one step ahead, Coach Ane is certainty capable of making adjustments.

When it comes to the Pun O line, are they really slow? Barber got clobbered a few times from LB blitz, and I think our D line is very good, led ofcourse by Tuitele. I was under the impression that the Pun O line is a skilled, veteran line.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Very interesting, I just looked at MaxPreps for the STL 2017 football schedule, it shows Punahou for the 2nd time on 10/7 which should be the ILH title game. But after that it shows 11/7 against Mililani. On Punahou's schedule, the game vs STL on 10/7 is the last game on their schedule. Awful disrespectful for a website to jump to conclusions no matter how things look right now. I don't like it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 pm @HS You can never underestimate that Punahou squad. I know I previously said I believe Coach Cal is one step ahead, Coach Ane is certainty capable of making adjustments.

When it comes to the Pun O line, are they really slow? Barber got clobbered a few times from LB blitz, and I think our D line is very good, led ofcourse by Tuitele. I was under the impression that the Pun O line is a skilled, veteran line.
@genks: I don't know; I took my cue from Neighbor's post. So Punahou's O-line is a skilled, veteran line. But are they also quick? As I said before, I don't know how many high-school O-lines that are big, are also quick. Usually "big" equates with ponderous (unwieldy) on the O-line. If Punahou's O-line isn't slow, it certainly isn't quicker than St Louis' D-line, I take it. Again, I'm going by Neighbor's post.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:22 pm Very interesting, I just looked at MaxPreps for the STL 2017 football schedule, it shows Punahou for the 2nd time on 10/7 which should be the ILH title game. But after that it shows 11/7 against Mililani. On Punahou's schedule, the game vs STL on 10/7 is the last game on their schedule. Awful disrespectful for a website to jump to conclusions no matter how things look right now. I don't like it.
@genks: Well, if St Louis can beat Punahou, they can probably beat Mililani, too. Anyway, that's obviously an error (about the Nov 7 game).

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 am
genks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 pm @HS You can never underestimate that Punahou squad. I know I previously said I believe Coach Cal is one step ahead, Coach Ane is certainty capable of making adjustments.

@genks: I don't know; I took my cue from Neighbor's post. So Punahou's O-line is a skilled, veteran line. But are they also quick? As I said before, I don't know how many high-school O-lines that are big, are also quick. Usually "big" equates with ponderous (unwieldy) on the O-line. If Punahou's O-line isn't slow, it certainly isn't quicker than St Louis' D-line, I take it. Again, I'm going by Neighbor's post.
@HS maybe gopunahou can chime in, but I thought the Pun O line looked fine. They gonna get beaten here and there like any O line. I noticed lots of times things went south when Barber tried to run but couldn't get forward, someone from the defense would get to him. Again, scrambling with the intent to go forward vs scrambling to extend the play. That's what it looked like to me. The only time guys really got through clean was LBs on blitzes or Tuitele a few times. When Barber got clobbered it was mostly from LBs

On the STL side, I thought the O line played pass protection well. When someone got through Chevan was tough to sack.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:08 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 am

@HS maybe gopunahou can chime in, but I thought the Pun O line looked fine. They gonna get beaten here and there like any O line. I noticed lots of times things went south when Barber tried to run but couldn't get forward, someone from the defense would get to him. Again, scrambling with the intent to go forward vs scrambling to extend the play. That's what it looked like to me. The only time guys really got through clean was LBs on blitzes or Tuitele a few times. When Barber got clobbered it was mostly from LBs

On the STL side, I thought the O line played pass protection well. When someone got through Chevan was tough to sack.
@genks: It doesn't surprise me that St Louis' LBs kick butt. Everyone knew that that would happen from last year, based on the returnees at that position. However, one of the LBs transferred to Kapolei, but the St Louis LB corps still kicks butt. Tuitele really burst onto the scene this year; he wasn't even on my radar screen. If St Louis' D can kick butt again in the next Punahou game, I don't think that St Louis has to worry about not having a large/premier RB. Personally, I'd like St Louis to win again, but I'm worried about the kind of wrinkles Punahou coach Ane will install. I'm not concerned about changes he might make on D so much as I'm concerned about changes he might make on O. Punahou has decent receivers, but I'm worried more about Barber as a run threat, and, the big RB Kaufusi. I hope Kaufusi doesn't have a breakout game or something. gopunahou said Kaufusi can catch, too. Here's something I think Ane might do: Have Barber throw short passes over the middle to Kaufusi. After all, Kaufusi is big, and can catch. Seeing as he's big, he'd be harder to bring down. gopunahou thinks Punahou should go to short passes over the middle. Who's the St Louis DC? Is Cal doubling as DC? Wonder what he thinks about that (short passes over the middle to Kaufusi). Punahou had no run game against St Louis, but might that change if Kaufusi plays? By the way, you said Punahou's O-line got beaten only "here and there." Wasn't Barber sacked like five or six times, maybe more? Sounds like more than only, "here and there." To me, four sacks are already something to write home about. Neighbor said St Louis' D is fast.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Punahou's O-line is fine. I guess I left this part out but Saint Louis rushes five guys every play, but occasionally six too cause they have the LB keying in on the RB and once he recognizes he's just pass blocking, the LB will rush in too. Sometimes the o-line will have to double team a guy so that'll often leave an unblocked defender rushing in, which is probably what the RB has to pick up. Kinda tough when the RBs are 5'7, 160 or 6'0 200 going up against guys bigger than him. So Kaufusi probably helps with that.

For instance, there was one play near the beginning of the game in the red zone when a LB showed blitz, and I clearly don't know for sure, but it looked like Barber told his RB to pick it up, but the RB just didn't even look to that side. But Barber was able to use his athleticism to extend the play and found a wide open WR at the goal line, who dropped the ball

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.6 Punahou and No.7 Kamehameha.

My guess is Yam and Barber don't play.I think,excluding the QB position, the Pun players can beat the Warrior players. So,which side's new starting QB can make the fewest mistakes. Going with Punahou in this one.

No.1 St.Louis and Narbonne,Harbor City, CA.

To summarize previous posts, Narbonne doesn' t have much of an aerial threat,neither do they seem to have much of a run game,nor a defense that can get three-and-outs against good teams. Picking the Crusaders to win this one.
Last edited by unpaid on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:05 pm Headliners this week,

No.6 Punahou and No.7 Kamehameha.

My guess is Yam and Barber don't play.I think,excluding the QB position, the Pun players can beat the Warror players. So,which side's new starting QB can make the fewest mistakes. Going with Punahou in this one.

No.1 St.Louis and Narbonne,Harbor City, CA.

To summarize previous posts, Narbonne doesn' t have much of an aerial threat,neither do they seem to have much of a run game,nor a defense that can get three-and-outs against good teams. Picking the Crusaders to win this one.
I think Barber is playing. The coaches made it sound like a minor injury in scoringlive.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Narbonne got wiped out by Centennial, but who knows maybe Centennial is a really good team. Could be a "no shame in losing to them" type situation. Anyway their defense looks big and very physical. Valuable experience and a different look for the Crusaders. Nice to play a game where you have zero idea how it will go based on no previous meetings. Just hope for good game, good sportsmanship, and no injuries. Go Crusaders!

Is Yam out for the season? Even without Barber, Pun's backup should be able to make completions. Kam's backups seem just not capable. Huge gap in ability, and that's between them and Yam, not even comparing with STL and Pun qbs.