unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by Markeke »

Coach Freitas will have to utilize his TE if StL. stack the box. At 6'3" and 245 lbs.,Latu is a capable target. Problem is Sol Jay''s short passes are scorching. Gabriel threw 51 passes. I don't see Sol Jay going over 25. The run will have to be established. Nawahine will need to catch some inside screens and be utilized for more short passes. As far as the D, Reed,Beatty and Siilata will have to push penetration. Then let Ah You and Atuiaia work. Then hopefully the dbs can hold their cover. Kahuku has a choice of linebackers to sub in. I think Falatea as the speed Lb will see more action along with Nalu Emerson. Both are rangy and ball hawks. Totally different D''s against run Waianae and pass Mililani. But in both cases a win for D. It's just that a hobbling O could only muster 10 points against W. In any case still a win. Maybe it was a little of looking ahead to the championship game,lol. Anyway, the two best teams in the open are playing. Wonder if Freitas can be the second 1st time head coach to lead his team to the State Championship?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:48 pm Coach Freitas will have to utilize his TE if StL. stack the box. At 6'3" and 245 lbs.,Latu is a capable target. Problem is Sol Jay''s short passes are scorching. Gabriel threw 51 passes. I don't see Sol Jay going over 25. The run will have to be established. Nawahine will need to catch some inside screens and be utilized for more short passes. As far as the D, Reed,Beatty and Siilata will have to push penetration. Then let Ah You and Atuiaia work. Then hopefully the dbs can hold their cover. Kahuku has a choice of linebackers to sub in. I think Falatea as the speed Lb will see more action along with Nalu Emerson. Both are rangy and ball hawks. Totally different D''s against run Waianae and pass Mililani. But in both cases a win for D. It's just that a hobbling O could only muster 10 points against W. In any case still a win. Maybe it was a little of looking ahead to the championship game,lol. Anyway, the two best teams in the open are playing. Wonder if Freitas can be the second 1st time head coach to lead his team to the State Championship?
@Markeke: What concerns me a little, is that this year's Kahuku team, while obviously very good, might not have the aura and mystique of the 2011 team, the one that beat Punahou for the state D1 title. I think with Torres as HC and Beatty as DC, there was a kind of mystique about that team. I thought they were underdogs against Punahou, yet they pulled-off some amazing plays, and key players seemed to really rise to the occasion. This year, both Torres and Beatty are gone. I don't even know who Kahuku's DC is this year. But, I do wish he and HC Freitas the best of luck, because I do want Kahuku to win. I agree that Kahuku will have to establish the run, especially if Maiava's foot isn't 100%. To be honest, I have no idea what happened to Kahuku's run-game the last two games. They could have easily lost both games. St Louis is tough enough that it seems it will almost take a little magic for Kahuku to pull it off, kind of like that magical game they had when they beat Punahou for the state title six years ago. It would obviously be a very big feather in Freitas' cap if he can win it all as a first-time coach. Not only that, he will have beaten Cal Lee, who may very well be the best vars football HC in the state, not to mention the tough ballclub Lee has. I guess it really is a tall order, but I'm hoping against hope that Freitas and Kahuku can (magically) pull it off.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Markeke wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:48 pm Coach Freitas will have to utilize his TE if StL. stack the box. At 6'3" and 245 lbs.,Latu is a capable target. Problem is Sol Jay''s short passes are scorching. Gabriel threw 51 passes. I don't see Sol Jay going over 25. The run will have to be established. Nawahine will need to catch some inside screens and be utilized for more short passes. As far as the D, Reed,Beatty and Siilata will have to push penetration. Then let Ah You and Atuiaia work. Then hopefully the dbs can hold their cover. Kahuku has a choice of linebackers to sub in. I think Falatea as the speed Lb will see more action along with Nalu Emerson. Both are rangy and ball hawks. Totally different D''s against run Waianae and pass Mililani. But in both cases a win for D. It's just that a hobbling O could only muster 10 points against W. In any case still a win. Maybe it was a little of looking ahead to the championship game,lol. Anyway, the two best teams in the open are playing. Wonder if Freitas can be the second 1st time head coach to lead his team to the State Championship?
Didn’t Tengan and Torres both win titles as 1st-time head coaches?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Wonder if Freitas can be the second 1st time head coach to lead his team to the State Championship?
[/quote]
Didn’t Tengan and Torres both win titles as 1st-time head coaches?
[/quote]

Yes they did. As a matter of fact like Freitas they both were part of the schools football program. I believe only TATA was a true "first timer". So in that sense, that record should hold.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

The St Louis Crusader WarWagon is now departing for Aloha Stadium

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Got plenty of time to get there ... The 7OT D-II game just finished. I'm thinking a 8:30-9P kickoff for the Open game...unless Hilo and Damien want to drag it out too..Heh,Heh!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Looking like St.Louis and Kahuku will starr@ 10P now... Unless Hilo-Damien goes past regulation.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:28 pm Got plenty of time to get there ... The 7OT D-II game just finished. I'm thinking a 8:30-9P kickoff for the Open game...unless Hilo and Damien want to drag it out too..Heh,Heh!
PLEEAAASE do NOT put that thought out to the universe holy crap. That game was tough lol

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Hilo 21 Damien 19 late 3Q. Hmmmm!!!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Hilo D-I champs. No OT.

Kahuku D shows up early. Red Raiders 7-0.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Final rank 2017,

1.St.Louis 10-0 Kudos to the D-I Open 2017 state champions.
2.Kahuku 11-2 Red Raiders showed plenty of fight coming from way behind to take the lead late before going down.Kudos to Kahuku.
3.Mililani 10-2
4.Waianae 7-5
5.Campbell 6-4
6.Leilehua 6-3
7.Kamehameha 4-5
8.Hilo 10-1 Kudos to the D-I state champions of 2017. Move up one spot with the win.
9.Punahou 5-3
10.Kapolei 5-5

Long day and night of football for sure!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Epic football game. Both St.Louis and Kahuku came to play. Congratulations to St Louis as they proved who they are. Hats off to Kahuku for a great season. Like Freitas said "reload time". Just gotta wait 365 days. Lol. Aloha.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Man what a game that was. Unbelievable. Congrats to both teams. The saying goes, “it takes 2 to tango” Both teams played hard, I knew the 2nd half would be very interesting because both are 2nd half teams.

Thank to everyone here for talking some high school football with me, it’s pretty much the only high school sport I follow so I will not be posting much unless there are more football conversations. Thanks again everyone for being cool

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:39 pm Man what a game that was. Unbelievable. Congrats to both teams. The saying goes, “it takes 2 to tango” Both teams played hard, I knew the 2nd half would be very interesting because both are 2nd half teams.

Thank to everyone here for talking some high school football with me, it’s pretty much the only high school sport I follow so I will not be posting much unless there are more football conversations. Thanks again everyone for being cool
@genks: You're not into basketball at all? I remember that last year there was a thread on this message-board for basketball. As you may have noticed, there's already one for wrestling. You follow St Louis, right? Well, you can already post about them here for wrestling, and it's very likely there'll be a basketball thread here on which you can post about St Louis. For boys' wrestling, a guy on the wrestling thread thinks Kamehameha will take D1 states. As for boys' basketball, I think Punahou will take D1 states. Not that I want them to, but I do think they're the favorite. For what it's worth, when Punahou plays St Louis, I'll root for St Louis.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:48 pm
genks wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:39 pm Man what a game that was. Unbelievable. Congrats to both teams. The saying goes, “it takes 2 to tango” Both teams played hard, I knew the 2nd half would be very interesting because both are 2nd half teams.

@genks: You're not into basketball at all? I remember that last year there was a thread on this message-board for basketball. As you may have noticed, there's already one for wrestling. You follow St Louis, right? Well, you can already post about them here for wrestling, and it's very likely there'll be a basketball thread here on which you can post about St Louis. For boys' wrestling, a guy on the wrestling thread thinks Kamehameha will take D1 states. As for boys' basketball, I think Punahou will take D1 states. Not that I want them to, but I do think they're the favorite. For what it's worth, when Punahou plays St Louis, I'll root for St Louis.
I hope so, even though historically Iolani always wins when there is a Winter Olympics. I also think that Genks, like many St. Louis graduates, are into football and no other sports. Ever since Cal Lee returned, that school has blown its load on football and hasn't seemed to care about other sports.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!