unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:42 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:28 pm
ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 am

I agree, Kamehameha always gets it from everyone because they get pounded on from the Pun and STL. But if they were to play most OIA teams, it would either be a close contest or they would smash teams. But that's why I think the leagues should really look into merging together. There would be better football being played across the island. Just my opinion, but I'm sure everyone has already said that. I think there would be rivalries renewed or formed. It would be a fun time for Oahu Football. Anyway, tonight's D1 ILH matchup should be interesting.

What offense are we going to see out of the Puns? Big set or spread? New QB or is Barber ready?
Is Kamehameha going to get their first D1 ILH Win in years? We shall see. Goodluck to both teams, stay healthy because whoever moves on to play STL will need all hands on deck.
@ka'ahupahau: Really, I think the Kamehameha v Punahou game is meaningless, because whoever wins will lose to St Louis. I.e., even the winner of the Kamehameha v Punahou game isn't going anywhere.
Probably true. If we can't win the ILH, I likely would rather take a close loss to KSK than a beating from SLS. Let SLS (who'll benefit from a bye week) destroy KSK.
@gopunahou: With one school dominating in ILH D1 like St Louis is, there's just not much fun for Punahou and Kamehameha. What makes matters even worse is, only one school moves on to States, and it's going to be St Louis. At this point in the season, you almost begin to wonder, why should Punahou and Kamehameha even bother playing? For those two schools, it's almost like a charade.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:43 pm
genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 pm Syracuse beats Clemson, upset in the air tonight. Who will fall? Kahuku? Mililani? Punahou? One of those 3 will fall you read it here first. It’s Friday the 13th boys!
@genks: You really believe that Friday the 13th stuff? I don't. If you ask me, if a team is going to score an upset, it has nothing to do with superstition. Of the three schools you mentioned, if I had to pick one to be upset, it would probably be Punahou. Punahou has been having problems on O, whereas Kamehameha has been looking pretty decent on both O and D. As for Mililani, I don't see any way Moanalua beats them. Mililani is simply too much for Moanalua, especially on O. Kahuku could conceivably be upset, primarily because they don't seem to have a consistent pass game, and, Kapolei is pretty stout on the D-line. But, I get the impression that Punahou is more likely to be upset by Kamehameha than Kahuku is to be upset by Kapolei.
Nah I’m just joking about that. But is we make it to states I get 100% superstitious, and believe in all that lol. I would hate to be the reason we lose because I broke a mirror lol.

Kam vs Pun is very interesting because it will be heavy on the coaching. What can Pun come up with to compensate? What can Kam come up with to further tighten on defense and put up points on offense?
Last edited by genks on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 pm@gopunahou: With one school dominating in ILH D1 like St Louis is, there's just not much fun for Punahou and Kamehameha. What makes matters even worse is, only one school moves on to States, and it's going to be St Louis. At this point in the season, you almost begin to wonder, why should Punahou and Kamehameha even bother playing? For those two schools, it's almost like a charade.
This might be one of the few years that only one school in the ILH deserves to play in states. Last year was a total exception, although we crapped the bed against Kapolei.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:02 pm
genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 pm Syracuse beats Clemson, upset in the air tonight. Who will fall? Kahuku? Mililani? Punahou? One of those 3 will fall you read it here first. It’s Friday the 13th boys!
@genks: You really believe that Friday the 13th stuff? I don't. If you ask me, if a team is going to score an upset, it has nothing to do with superstition. Of the three schools you mentioned, if I had to pick one to be upset, it would probably be Punahou. Punahou has been having problems on O, whereas Kamehameha has been looking pretty decent on both O and D. As for Mililani, I don't see any way Moanalua beats them. Mililani is simply too much for Moanalua, especially on O. Kahuku could conceivably be upset, primarily because they don't seem to have a consistent pass game, and, Kapolei is pretty stout on the D-line. But, I get the impression that Punahou is more likely to be upset by Kamehameha than Kahuku is to be upset by Kapolei.
Nah I’m just joking about that. But is we make it to states I get 100% superstitious, and believe in all that lol. I would hate to be the reason we lose because I broke a mirror lol.

Kam vs Pun is very interesting because it will be heavy on the coaching. What can Pun come up with to compensate? What can Kam come up with to further tighten on defense and put up points on offense?
@genks: Really, with the team St Louis has this year, you really don't have to rely on broken mirrors, black cats, etc. But, when St Louis runs into Kahuku or even Mililani, I think that's when the going gets tough. As for Kamehameha, I still say its all about their run game. The thing too is that if Kamehameha's big O-line and capable RB Shannon can string together long, time-consuming drives, that would exacerbate Punahou's problems on O simply because they'll have less time on the field to score points of their own.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:15 pm :munky2:

@genks: Really, with the team St Louis has this year, you really don't have to rely on broken mirrors, black cats, etc. But, when St Louis runs into Kahuku or even Mililani, I think that's when the going gets tough. As for Kamehameha, I still say its all about their run game. The thing too is that if Kamehameha's big O-line and capable RB Shannon can string together long, time-consuming drives, that would exacerbate Punahou's problems on O simply because they'll have less time to be on the field and score points of their own.
Yeah I agree. If Kam gets the run going it will help everything. Pun does have good linebackers that could make that tough but we’ll see. I’m interested to know if that backup qb from Pun will do well again.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 pm@gopunahou: With one school dominating in ILH D1 like St Louis is, there's just not much fun for Punahou and Kamehameha. What makes matters even worse is, only one school moves on to States, and it's going to be St Louis. At this point in the season, you almost begin to wonder, why should Punahou and Kamehameha even bother playing? For those two schools, it's almost like a charade.
This might be one of the few years that only one school in the ILH deserves to play in states. Last year was a total exception, although we crapped the bed against Kapolei.
@gopunahou: Yeah, that game was a shock. My guess is that Punahou didn't take Kapolei seriously enough, so when Kapolei started moving the ball and scoring points against them, Punahou was kind of discombobulated and reeling.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

They play because on any given day, any given team can lose. Whoever wins tonight gets one more shot at capturing that upset win.

I like two ILH teams playing in states. That also gives the OIA 2 more teams. I honestly feel both Pun and Kam are top 8 (in my opinion) and deserve to play amongst the top 8 in the state for the title. Why covet the state title not all the best in the state competed for it

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:18 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:15 pm :munky2:

@genks: Really, with the team St Louis has this year, you really don't have to rely on broken mirrors, black cats, etc. But, when St Louis runs into Kahuku or even Mililani, I think that's when the going gets tough. As for Kamehameha, I still say its all about their run game. The thing too is that if Kamehameha's big O-line and capable RB Shannon can string together long, time-consuming drives, that would exacerbate Punahou's problems on O simply because they'll have less time to be on the field and score points of their own.
Yeah I agree. If Kam gets the run going it will help everything. Pun does have good linebackers that could make that tough but we’ll see. I’m interested to know if that backup qb from Pun will do well again.
@gopunahou: So Barber won't play? If he's not, that's not necessarily a problem, as backup Brady seems to be doing a good job in his stead. If Kamehameha's going to have a chance, QB Yam has to be hot with his pass game, and Kamehameha's huge O-linemen need to clean-out those Punahou LBs so that RB Shannon can go one-on-one with the DBs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm
They play because on any given day, any given team can lose. Whoever wins tonight gets one more shot at capturing that upset win.

I like two ILH teams playing in states. That also gives the OIA 2 more teams. I honestly feel both Pun and Kam are top 8 (in my opinion) and deserve to play amongst the top 8 in the state for the title. Why covet the state title not all the best in the state competed for it
@genks: We've all heard that "on any given day" adage, but really, St Louis has to have a pretty crappy game for Kamehameha or Punahou to have a chance against them. As for why the best teams aren't going to States? Politics, why else. Politics between the ILH and the OIA, in particular.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 pm
genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm

@genks: We've all heard that "on any given day" adage, but really, St Louis has to have a pretty crappy game for Kamehameha or Punahou to have a chance against them. As for why the best teams aren't going to States? Politics, why else. Politics between the ILH and the OIA, in particular.
Yup unfortunately politics. Both the kids and the fans lose

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Play by play has Barber playing. Shannon didn’t start right away, I think I remember him being a little dinged up in the game against us. But they have him in. I wonder if Barber is 100%.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Bro

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Thing is, Barber will do anything to play even if he isn't 100%. Unfortunately, we couldn't pull this out despite Vincent Terrell carrying us. Nevertheless, at least St. Louis won't beat us 3 times. I doubt that KSK can keep this up, especially against a team that's hoping to prove that their previous meeting against them was a fluke.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@gopunahou your team showed heart this season and never quit. Great job

Warrior is on the menu now, Let’s Go Crusaders!!!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:01 pm @gopunahou your team showed heart this season and never quit. Great job

Warrior is on the menu now, Let’s Go Crusaders!!!
Thanks man. At least we ain't losing to you guys 3 times in a year. That's never happened to a Punahou team.

Sucks to lose to Kamehameha but hats off to them and Abu, who is one of the nicest men you'll ever meet (knew him myself). As ecstatic as Kamehameha is, they are lucky that they haven't had it worse--they didn't struggle as much as we did between the time Jason Ching, Afatia Thompson, Noah King, Tafiti Uso, Danny Makainai, and Wes Pratt left the program and the year we snapped your guys' streak of ILH titles (2005). For my sake (and Kamehameha's) I hope it won't be another 19 years where St. Louis dominates the ILH. Anyway, as much as KSK has struggled ever since 2013, at least there weren't years that they lost to Iolani (like we did on an annual basis between 1997 and 2001). They've now got what it takes to make the ILH a true big three. I sure hope that we revert to the team we were between 1997 and 2004.

I don't think that'll happen, either, since there is the talent. If Maninoa, Marist, and Kaulana show great leadership, if our QB (whether it be Hugh or Lohgan) makes smart decisions, and if next year's seniors can make their last chance count, we can do great things and give St. Louis as great of a challenge as they've faced in 2015 and 2016.

As high as Kamehameha is riding, I don't like their chances against a St. Louis team coming off a bye and playing for all of the marbles. 35-14, SLS.