unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:05 pm Headliners this week,

No.6 Punahou and No.7 Kamehameha.

My guess is Yam and Barber don't play.I think,excluding the QB position, the Pun players can beat the Warrior players. So,which side's new starting QB can make the fewest mistakes. Going with Punahou in this one.

No.1 St.Louis and Narbonne,Harbor City, CA.

To summarize previous posts, Narbonne doesn' t have much of an aerial threat,neither do they seem to have much of a run game,nor a defense that can get three-and-outs against good teams. Picking the Crusaders to win this one.
@unpaid: Are you sure Barber isn't playing? gopunahou said he will. Also, what you might be underestimating is Kamehameha's run game. I think Kamehameha RB Shannon is better than a lot of people give him credit for. Perhaps that's because he's not that big, but he's not exactly tiny, either. If Barber doesn't play, Kamehameha just might have a chance, provided Kamehameha's O-line does a better job of run-blocking. I think they have the size and talent to go up against Punahou's D-line. If Barber does play, while Yam doesn't, Kamehameha can kiss their butts goodbye. The only way Kamehameha has any chance at all is if Barber doesn't play. (Or, if Barber does play, Yam also plays. I think Yam is almost as good as Barber).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:58 pm Narbonne got wiped out by Centennial, but who knows maybe Centennial is a really good team. Could be a "no shame in losing to them" type situation. Anyway their defense looks big and very physical. Valuable experience and a different look for the Crusaders. Nice to play a game where you have zero idea how it will go based on no previous meetings. Just hope for good game, good sportsmanship, and no injuries. Go Crusaders!

Is Yam out for the season? Even without Barber, Pun's backup should be able to make completions. Kam's backups seem just not capable. Huge gap in ability, and that's between them and Yam, not even comparing with STL and Pun qbs.
@genks: Exactly (about Kamehameha's backup QBs). After Yam, the dropoff in QB quality after him is like the Mariana Trench. Regarding St Louis, this exhibition game against Narbonne is a waste. It's not like St Louis needs to play Narbonne to help them get ready for Punahou; they pounded Punahou. Even if St Louis does beat Narbonne, most people here on Oahu will just shrug their shoulders. Seeing as Narbonne is an out-of-state team, guys might not have any good idea of how strong they are. Win or lose, St Louis has almost nothing to gain from this game, in their race against Punahou for the ILH D1 title. There isn't a lot of upside. On the other hand, there's a lot of downside: If Cordeiro, Tuitele, and/or one of the LBs or receivers go down with injuries, that could affect St Louis' ability to get past Punahou again and claim the ILH D1 title. Kamehameha found this out the hard way, at least twice. About three or four years ago, they lost their top RB--Apelu--to injury while playing a mainland team. If he had been healthy, Kamehameha just might have had a chance to actually win the ILH D1 title, as he was the #2 RB in the state that year, and definitely the top RB in ILH D1. That was about the size of it. And, just several weeks ago, Kamehameha QB Yam injured his elbow against a mainland team. He then injured his shoulder against St Louis the game after. (Some say his elbow injury was aggravated, too.) With Yam out, Kamehameha has scored precisely zero points in their last two games, which has to be demoralizing. People need to do a better job of counting costs, and juxtaposing those costs against the benefits.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I disagree with the Narbonne game being a waste. No more a waste then blowing out Kam for the 2nd time. Anyone can get injured in any game, we just hope for the best. It's experience for players the players and coaches. Coach Cal always says you gotta play good competition to get better, how much more important when you play the same 2 teams 2-3 times.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:21 pm I disagree with the Narbonne game being a waste. No more a waste then blowing out Kam for the 2nd time. Anyone can get injured in any game, we just hope for the best. It's experience for players the players and coaches. Coach Cal always says you gotta play good competition to get better, how much more important when you play the same 2 teams 2-3 times.
@genks: Well, at least the Kamehameha game counts towards the ILH D1 title. I think St Louis is already the best, at least in Hawaii. They don't have to get "better." Like, they were some 35 points better than Punahou. If St Louis wants to get better than they already are, OK, but first things first: Win the ILH D1 title. See, I'm pulling for St Louis to beat Punahou again; I sure hope there are no injuries against Narbonne, especially to critical players like Cordeiro, Tuitele, the LBs, and the receivers.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:23 pm
genks wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:21 pm I disagree with the Narbonne game being a waste. No more a waste then blowing out Kam for the 2nd time. Anyone can get injured in any game, we just hope for the best. It's experience for players the players and coaches. Coach Cal always says you gotta play good competition to get better, how much more important when you play the same 2 teams 2-3 times.
@genks: Well, at least the Kamehameha game counts towards the ILH D1 title. I think St Louis is already the best, at least in Hawaii. They don't have to get "better." Like, they were some 35 points better than Punahou. If St Louis wants to get better than they already are, OK, but first things first: Win the ILH D1 title. See, I'm pulling for St Louis to beat Punahou again; I sure hope there are no injuries against Narbonne, especially to critical players like Cordeiro, Tuitele, the LBs, and the receivers.
I hear ya, and yes please no injuries.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Narbonne isn't terrible, Centennial is one of the best teams/programs in the country by far. They beat IMG last year I think, but IMG got them back this year. Centennial is really good. Narbonne will be tough but hoping STL has enough to beat them. I always want the Hawaii boys to beat the top program teams. But Boscoe is by far the best team in Cali though.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I believe they have a few guys committed to USC. First opportunity for the Crusaders to defend that shiny new national top 20 rank.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 am Narbonne isn't terrible, Centennial is one of the best teams/programs in the country by far. They beat IMG last year I think, but IMG got them back this year. Centennial is really good. Narbonne will be tough but hoping STL has enough to beat them. I always want the Hawaii boys to beat the top program teams. But Boscoe is by far the best team in Cali though.
What about Mater Dei?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 am I believe they have a few guys committed to USC. First opportunity for the Crusaders to defend that shiny new national top 20 rank.
@genks: I'm much more concerned about their defending their ILH D1 title.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Yam is playing. Barber suited up but hasn't played.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@gopunahou Is Barber healthy? I assume if the arm was still jacked he wouldn't even be in pads?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:25 pm Yam is playing. Barber suited up but hasn't played.
@gopunahou: Yam is playing? That's a shock. Guess his shoulder injury wasn't that serious. (Well, he was out for two weeks; guess that was enough time). And, why is Barber suited-up but not playing? Apparently Ane won't use him unless he has to.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Scoring live shows Barber rushed for a TD but no qb stats for him. Very interesting this is a close game

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 pm Scoring live shows Barber rushed for a TD but no qb stats for him. Very interesting this is a close game
I guess because he hasn't completed a pass. Kaufusi ain't playing. I hope he ain't out for the year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou will win but will need to use this coming bye week to their advantage. Barely beating Kamehameha won't be enough to stay with St. Louis. Play-calling stunk for both teams tonight, especially offensively.

And if it makes Kamehameha feel better, they beat St. Louis the week after the Crusaders took on De La Salle. The same scenario will happen this coming Friday. Unfortunately that, as well as the return of Yam, is all they've got going for them entering that game.