unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Dog 96707 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:27 pm Great Season of HS football.....
Here's my waaaaaaayy early pre season D1 top 5 for next season. Just off of returning players from this past season......anything could happen in the off season. lol
1. Kahuku - Crazy talent returning. Sol jay, Alo-Maiava, Heffernan, alapa, vimahi, ah you, kaniho, emmerson, etc...... Believe me, if they all return, they'll be HUGE favorites to win it all.....HUGE!!!
2. Mililani - I usually wouldn't start the season with 2 OIA teams at the top, but Mils will be stacked again. 16 of 22 o and d starters will return, including Gabriel, chang, vegas, kuboyama, muasau, cadey, pilanca....yup, they'll be one of the top dogs once again.
3. St. Loius - They will lose a lot of key players...lol...does that even matter at stl?? not sure who the qb will be, but will return tuitele, quinones, McKenzie, bothello, mose, sykes, Wilson, latu....these are the few I remember when looking at the roster. I think not having a back up qb to take over will hurt
4. Punahou - These guys seem to reload too, much like the other top schools. they return Brady, tufono, liufau, gilman, makaula, clemons, falatea, kennedy. hopefully ane will get this talented bunch moving in the right direction again.
5. Campbell - Yup, I believe Johnson has this young team believing in his system. they should be contending for that OIA championship next season. Adkins kupukaa, tafai, tauai, kaipo....I won't be surprised if they pull out some upsets.....but it's waaaaay too early to know. That's why this is fun to do
@Dog 96707: I'm so glad to see that you think Kahuku will take it all next year. I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, but I'm still kind of down and frustrated about their losing the state Open title game; I really wanted them to win (and they were just 37 seconds away). I'm still kind of dejected about it; it really sucks to feel this way. To the underclassmen on Kahuku's team: Come roaring back next year! If you draw St Louis again in States, make it count! You have some unfinished business! You need to settle accounts.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic, I wonder if Cal Lee will suffer Bobby Bowden syndrome. Bowden stayed too long at FSU, posted lackluster seasons between 2001-2009, and was a victim of his own success.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:05 pm HS Football Fanatic, I wonder if Cal Lee will suffer Bobby Bowden syndrome. Bowden stayed too long at FSU, posted lackluster seasons between 2001-2009, and was a victim of his own success.
@gopunahou: That's a very good question you've raised. As a Kahuku supporter in the Open state title game, I was a victim of Cal's success. I'm virtually certain that Kahuku alumni--though I'm not an alumnus--are suffering from "Cal Lee syndrome"! Cal is about 71 years old now, so I don't know how long he'll continue coaching. If he does continue, then quite frankly, since he's a Kalani alumnus, I wish he'd go back to coaching that school.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Here's my waaaaaaayy early pre season D1 top 5 for next season. Just off of returning players from this past season......anything could happen in the off season. lol
1. Kahuku - Crazy talent returning. Sol jay, Alo-Maiava, Heffernan, alapa, vimahi, ah you, kaniho, emmerson, etc...... Believe me, if they all return, they'll be HUGE favorites to win it all.....HUGE!!!
2. Mililani - I usually wouldn't start the season with 2 OIA teams at the top, but Mils will be stacked again. 16 of 22 o and d starters will return, including Gabriel, chang, vegas, kuboyama, muasau, cadey, pilanca....yup, they'll be one of the top dogs once again.
3. St. Loius - They will lose a lot of key players...lol...does that even matter at stl?? not sure who the qb will be, but will return tuitele, quinones, McKenzie, bothello, mose, sykes, Wilson, latu....these are the few I remember when looking at the roster. I think not having a back up qb to take over will hurt
4. Punahou - These guys seem to reload too, much like the other top schools. they return Brady, tufono, liufau, gilman, makaula, clemons, falatea, kennedy. hopefully ane will get this talented bunch moving in the right direction again.
5. Campbell - Yup, I believe Johnson has this young team believing in his system. they should be contending for that OIA championship next season. Adkins kupukaa, tafai, tauai, kaipo....I won't be surprised if they pull out some upsets.....but it's waaaaay too early to know. That's why this is fun to do
I'm with Dogs predictions.
Sol jay make break a record for being the QB in the most State Championship. We see the progression in the last 2. A sleeper at a RB maybe #1. Fonoimoana Vaiomu. And Wes Maiava
Kid has the speed. With Toalei Leafau back at full back. Alapa,Nihipali,Mateira,Kaniho,Cristman at wr, Mau,Vimahi,Lombard ,Sanetivi, Liua on the line.
On D...Emerson ,Kaniho,Fonoimoana Vaiomu, Falatea, Tupuola,Beatty,Miki Ah You, Liua, and some transfers
This team may blossom 2 years from now. Go. Red raider.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:06 pm
I'm with Dogs predictions.
Sol jay make break a record for being the QB in the most State Championship. We see the progression in the last 2. A sleeper at a RB maybe #1. Fonoimoana Vaiomu. And Wes Maiava
Kid has the speed. With Toalei Leafau back at full back. Alapa,Nihipali,Mateira,Kaniho,Cristman at wr, Mau,Vimahi,Lombard ,Sanetivi, Liua on the line.
On D...Emerson ,Kaniho,Fonoimoana Vaiomu, Falatea, Tupuola,Beatty,Miki Ah You, Liua, and some transfers
This team may blossom 2 years from now. Go. Red raider.
@Markeke: Thanks for your post. I'm stoked about Kahuku's chances next year. To the underclassmen on Kahuku's team, and Kahuku alumni: Next year's state Open tourney is a ways off, but each passing day brings it closer. St Louis stole the state Open title this year, but if Kahuku sees them again in next year's state tourney, look out. Payback time. Redemption is coming. Good times will be back again; let 'em roll.
Go Red Raiders.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

First things first, it'll be interesting to see what changes to divisions or the state tournament that they make

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:48 pm First things first, it'll be interesting to see what changes to divisions or the state tournament that they make
@Neighbor: True. But, the way Dog 96707 and Markeke are sizing things up, Kahuku has a good chance of finishing at the top of the top division, whatever that division happens to be or be called. I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, but I was pulling heavily for Kahuku, and I still can't get over their losing the state Open title game; I'm still dejected about it. I'd be a lot happier if they had won.

If I could turn to boys' basketball for a sec: As most of you know, pre-season tourneys are on. Each year, Radford has its annual Jim Alegre tourney, and it starts today. Earlier today, Radford lost by one point to Honokaa in the opening round, 37-36. Don't you hate it when your alma mater loses a basketball game by one point? That really sucks. If the game was that close, you know there was a lot of tension and drama during the last minute; the game could have gone either way. But when it's your alma mater that loses by one point, doesn't it suck? You're already drained by the tension and anxiousness of such a close game, and when your team loses, it so sucks. I'm not a Radford alumnus, but they must think it sucks; especially the ones who attended the game. It kind of makes you not want to hang-around for the following games. The Radford tourney is unreal; there are 5 games today. Right now, Leilehua and St Louis are playing, even as I type this. After that, there'll be 3 more games. The last game, of course, is the feature game. That game has Moanalua playing Hayward, a California school.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

There is one question I'd like to ask: could St. Louis beat Mater Dei? I doubt that they could beat St. John Bosco, not only because their Coach Negro's beaten them before but because their defense would blanket their WRs and make either Cordeiro or their RBs beat them. It's amazing that a team on Hawaii couldn't do that. St. Louis also struggled against Narbonne's offense. Mater Dei, with its balance and lack of weaknesses on offense, would put on a clinic.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I also don't think that this St. Louis team is the team of the decade. Call me a homer, but our 2013 squad is a team for the ages and played tougher ILH competition, as well being a balanced team as well (with Wayne, Kanawai, and Tui scoring at will). I know we had some close games that year, but so did SLS this year. Not to mention, our LB core was one of the best you'll ever see. To not sound like a homer, had Kahuku won in 2010, I would've called them the best team of the decade because of their balance and domination over opponents.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:32 pm There is one question I'd like to ask: could St. Louis beat Mater Dei? I doubt that they could beat St. John Bosco, not only because their Coach Negro's beaten them before but because their defense would blanket their WRs and make either Cordeiro or their RBs beat them. It's amazing that a team on Hawaii couldn't do that. St. Louis also struggled against Narbonne's offense. Mater Dei, with its balance and lack of weaknesses on offense, would put on a clinic.
@gopunahou: Well, goes to show how far Hawaii teams have to go. But really, let's give Kahuku credit. For all of St Louis' receivers and passing, Kahuku still had their number until the last 37 seconds of the state Open title game. St Louis was lucky to win, but I'm fairly certain that if Kahuku plays St Louis again next year, Kahuku will make them pay.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:52 pm I also don't think that this St. Louis team is the team of the decade. Call me a homer, but our 2013 squad is a team for the ages and played tougher ILH competition, as well being a balanced team as well (with Wayne, Kanawai, and Tui scoring at will). I know we had some close games that year, but so did SLS this year. Not to mention, our LB core was one of the best you'll ever see. To not sound like a homer, had Kahuku won in 2010, I would've called them the best team of the decade because of their balance and domination over opponents.
@gopunahou: Punahou is your alma mater, so you have every right to be a "homer." I mean, you already know I don't care for Punahou at all, but its alumni still have the right to support the school. Personally, I just go year to year. I take each year as it comes, and when the championship game comes, I pull for whichever school I like more. I don't really think about which school had the best team of the decade.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:32 pm There is one question I'd like to ask: could St. Louis beat Mater Dei? I doubt that they could beat St. John Bosco, not only because their Coach Negro's beaten them before but because their defense would blanket their WRs and make either Cordeiro or their RBs beat them. It's amazing that a team on Hawaii couldn't do that. St. Louis also struggled against Narbonne's offense. Mater Dei, with its balance and lack of weaknesses on offense, would put on a clinic.
@gopunahou: Well, goes to show how far Hawaii teams have to go. But really, let's give Kahuku credit. For all of St Louis' receivers and passing, Kahuku still had their number until the last 37 seconds of the state Open title game. St Louis was lucky to win, but I'm fairly certain that if Kahuku plays St Louis again next year, Kahuku will make them pay.
Mater Dei just clobbered De La Salle. Some are saying they fielded the greatest HS team of all time. I'd love to see St. Louis play De La Salle this year to see how they'd measure up against MD. As for MD, I would've loved to see them play our 2013 team or the 1994 St. Louis (two of the most balanced teams in HS football history).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: Well, I'm into Hawaii prep football only, so for me, St Louis winning the state Open title was bad enough. I wanted Kahuku to win it.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:38 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 pm
Mater Dei just clobbered De La Salle. Some are saying they fielded the greatest HS team of all time. I'd love to see St. Louis play De La Salle this year to see how they'd measure up against MD. As for MD, I would've loved to see them play our 2013 team or the 1994 St. Louis (two of the most balanced teams in HS football history).
This years Mater Dei team would demolish this years Stl team, probably wouldn't be close. Not taking anything away from Stl, they're hands down the best team in the state this year. But MD got crazy talent, I mean crazy. When you got 10 of 11 on offense with D1 offers, the #1 ranked qb in the nation (only a jr), #1 ranked wr in the nation, #1 ranked lb in the nation.... That's talent, and they're a well coached team also. Again, not taking anything away from this years Stl team, they have some talent too, just not at the same level as MD.
That 1994 Stl team, might be the best ever. I'm a few years younger, and was at another hs lol, but I remember watching them play. Big time talent!! 3 players (Kruetz, Fuamatu-Maafala and Raiola) from 1 team to not only get to the league, but have pretty solid careers. A lot of schools have had great competitive teams, im sure. But on talent alone, that 1994 Stl team is hard to beat

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The fact that we almost beat the ‘94 St. Louis team (probably a team with all-stars at every position) makes me think that our ‘94 team might have been on par with our nationally-ranked 1995 team as our best team of the ‘90s. It was a shame that we fielded great teams during the mid-‘90s and St. Louis’s heyday. Teams that might’ve won the ILH had they played during the 2000s.