unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by Dog 96707 »

Big Time Game!!! That's how a state championship game should be. Atmosphere was electric and both teams played great football. hats off to both st. Louis and kahuku, 2 great teams that played their hearts out on Saturday. I mean just to think that stl beat the 2 best teams in the oia in Mililani and kahuku to win the state championship. that right there is pretty crazy. The game could've gone either way, both teams battled. it was great to see the red sea out there supporting the kahuku team. what a great hs season

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:48 pm
genks wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:39 pm Man what a game that was. Unbelievable. Congrats to both teams. The saying goes, “it takes 2 to tango” Both teams played hard, I knew the 2nd half would be very interesting because both are 2nd half teams.

Thank to everyone here for talking some high school football with me, it’s pretty much the only high school sport I follow so I will not be posting much unless there are more football conversations. Thanks again everyone for being cool
@genks: You're not into basketball at all? I remember that last year there was a thread on this message-board for basketball. As you may have noticed, there's already one for wrestling. You follow St Louis, right? Well, you can already post about them here for wrestling, and it's very likely there'll be a basketball thread here on which you can post about St Louis. For boys' wrestling, a guy on the wrestling thread thinks Kamehameha will take D1 states. As for boys' basketball, I think Punahou will take D1 states. Not that I want them to, but I do think they're the favorite. For what it's worth, when Punahou plays St Louis, I'll root for St Louis.
I hope so, even though historically Iolani always wins when there is a Winter Olympics. I also think that Genks, like many St. Louis graduates, are into football and no other sports. Ever since Cal Lee returned, that school has blown its load on football and hasn't seemed to care about other sports.
I do follow the results of STL sports but not as closely at football. I been to every football game since 2015 aside from the Hilo game and the game at Iolani because some genius scheduled it at 3:00pm. I think wrestling wise Cabanban has a chance to close out his high school career with 4 championships. I’ll look to see who won basketball games but I’m not a big fan of the sport in general.

That’s an interesting little fact, Iolani wins when the Winter Olympics are on

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:08 pm I do follow the results of STL sports but not as closely at football. I been to every football game since 2015 aside from the Hilo game and the game at Iolani because some genius scheduled it at 3:00pm. I think wrestling wise Cabanban has a chance to close out his high school career with 4 championships. I’ll look to see who won basketball games but I’m not a big fan of the sport in general.

They’ve won every year the Winter Olympics has been held since it changed to non-leap years—i.e. 1994 and every four years after that.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:08 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:48 pm

@genks: You're not into basketball at all? I remember that last year there was a thread on this message-board for basketball. As you may have noticed, there's already one for wrestling. You follow St Louis, right? Well, you can already post about them here for wrestling, and it's very likely there'll be a basketball thread here on which you can post about St Louis. For boys' wrestling, a guy on the wrestling thread thinks Kamehameha will take D1 states. As for boys' basketball, I think Punahou will take D1 states. Not that I want them to, but I do think they're the favorite. For what it's worth, when Punahou plays St Louis, I'll root for St Louis.
I hope so, even though historically Iolani always wins when there is a Winter Olympics. I also think that Genks, like many St. Louis graduates, are into football and no other sports. Ever since Cal Lee returned, that school has blown its load on football and hasn't seemed to care about other sports.
I do follow the results of STL sports but not as closely at football. I been to every football game since 2015 aside from the Hilo game and the game at Iolani because some genius scheduled it at 3:00pm. I think wrestling wise Cabanban has a chance to close out his high school career with 4 championships. I’ll look to see who won basketball games but I’m not a big fan of the sport in general.

@genks: I think the connection between the Winter Olympics and Iolani winning states, is spurious. There's obviously no connection between when the Olympics are held, and Iolani basketball. It's purely coincidental. In fact, I'm picking Punahou to win it all this year, though I'd prefer Iolani win it than Punahou. In the OIA, you have the usual suspect: Kalaheo. I mean, do they ever suck in basketball? Last night, they kicked Waianae's butt, 65-27, in a preseason game. As for the current sports of basketball and wrestling, I don't think St Louis will win a (team) championship in either one. At least, not on the vars level. I don't know about JV.

@gopunahou: Well, St Louis has been a football school ever since the mid-1980s, when Cal was at the helm. I don't think St Louis alumni gravitated only to football only since Cal returned some three years ago. Frankly, I wish he stayed at Kalani, his alma mater. Kalani needs his coaching more than St Louis does. When he was with Kalani, he wasn't even HC. The question now is: Will he retire? He's about 71 years old now. He might decide that this is a good time to retire, seeing as he won the state Open title (again). To be honest, I'd be kind of glad if he retires. I'm getting kind of tired of St Louis, you know? I bet you are too, as a Punahou alumnus. But, not that I want to see your alma mater start winning ILH D1! :)

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic, if you like Kahuku BB, they got a recent 6-10 transfer that might be the best player in the state.

As far as FB goes, we’d better make next year count. We’ve got the talent to give St. Louis a 2015-2016 type scare. It’s also been five years since our last title (as it was in 2013), so history favors us there. Two players will compete for the starting QB role—Loghan Muasau and Hugh Brady. I also wouldn’t put too much stock into our JV team’s performance. We had the least amount of sophomores playing JV so that likely contributed. We also lost two close games against KSK so we didn’t suck badly.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:34 pm HS Football Fanatic, if you like Kahuku BB, they got a recent 6-10 transfer that might be the best player in the state.

As far as FB goes, we’d better make next year count. We’ve got the talent to give St. Louis a 2015-2016 type scare. It’s also been five years since our last title (as it was in 2013), so history favors us there. Two players will compete for the starting QB role—Loghan Muasau and Hugh Brady. I also wouldn’t put too much stock into our JV team’s performance. We had the least amount of sophomores playing JV so that likely contributed. We also lost two close games against KSK so we didn’t suck badly.
@gopunahou: Well, I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, so I guess you can call me a "free agent." If there's a basketball game, I need to see which two schools are playing. Whichever school I like more, I'll sit on their side.
Yes, I get it about JV. Generally, a good/championship JV team doesn't pay dividends on the vars until two years down the road. I simply mentioned JV quality as but one (small) factor to consider.
I suspect Brady will start on Punahou's football vars. I heard his name more often than Muasau's, so he probably had more playing time, and there must have been a reason for that.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:17 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:34 pm HS Football Fanatic, if you like Kahuku BB, they got a recent 6-10 transfer that might be the best player in the state.

@gopunahou: Well, I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, so I guess you can call me a "free agent." If there's a basketball game, I need to see which two schools are playing. Whichever school I like more, I'll sit on their side.
Yes, I get it about JV. Generally, a good/championship JV team doesn't pay dividends on the vars until two years down the road. I simply mentioned JV quality as but one (small) factor to consider.
I suspect Brady will start on Punahou's football vars. I heard his name more often than Muasau's, so he probably had more playing time, and there must have been a reason for that.
I think in both the OIA and ILH, schools treat their JV teams differently, regarding the # of sophomores/freshmen (in the case of the OIA) they keep/let play on the varsity. Regarding QBs, Kamehameha will likely start that kid Kione, who'll just be a sophomore but has already started for the varsity. I don't think he'll give him the spark Yam did but will benefit from the return of many WRs. And since I'm a UH fan, I'm on my knees begging Cal Lee and co. to help to save UH FB (since they need it).

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 pm

I think in both the OIA and ILH, schools treat their JV teams differently, regarding the # of sophomores/freshmen (in the case of the OIA) they keep/let play on the varsity. Regarding QBs, Kamehameha will likely start that kid Kione, who'll just be a sophomore but has already started for the varsity. I don't think he'll give him the spark Yam did but will benefit from the return of many WRs. And since I'm a UH fan, I'm on my knees begging Cal Lee and co. to help to save UH FB (since they need it).
Wasn’t Brady the qb that played in 2nd Pun vs STL game? I think that was him, he can play. He scored twice didn’t he?

Kam has that receiver I think #5? Forgot his name but he’s fast. He could beat the DB but Yam would over throw by 5 yards or throw it at his feet. If he’s returning I’d guess the new qb will be looking for him on the field.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 pm

@gopunahou: About the JV teams, I think it's pretty complicated. You'd think that the more students a school has, the bigger their JV football team will be. What complicates matters is St Louis. Yes, their enrollment is low, but people forget to account for the fact that they have only boys. If you multiply their enrollment by 2, you then have an idea of how they'd stack-up against coed schools in terms of enrollment.

About Kamehameha, their O will surely suck next year. I mean, with senior starting QB Yam out due to injury, HC Maafala had to dip-down to the JV to find a competent replacement, and that replacement--Kione--was only a freshman. Like, what happened to Yam's vars backups? Answer: They sucked so bad, apparently, that Maafala had to start a freshman pulled-up from the JV. That's appalling. So, Kamehameha's vars may have competent receivers next year, but how competent will their QB be in getting them the ball? I don't know why Kamehameha has such a hard time fielding good QBs, when St Louis and Punahou seem to field good QBs every year.

As for UH, I support them, too. I'm a UH alumnus.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Happy Thanksgiving sports fans! We are very lucky to have such talented and competitive high school athletes in Hawaii. The more of these guys that can Get attention from major colleges the better.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

I think Punahou always had studs but the coaching is questionable. I'm not talking only about game time but player development in everyday practice. When I saw Fred Salanoa on the sidelines, I thought he might be groomed for that position. Punahou definitely needs to up their game.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Markeke wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:23 pm

I think Punahou always had studs but the coaching is questionable. I'm not talking only about game time but player development in everyday practice. When I saw Fred Salanoa on the sidelines, I thought he might be groomed for that position. Punahou definitely needs to up their game.
That’s frustrating considering we’ve got many former coaches who’ve won state championships elsewhere. I also think there was disunity between Kale and his son last year. Sure as hell hope we can fix it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Markeke: Amazing, isn't it, how sophisticated high-school football coaching has become. I mean, it's almost like coaching college. Back when I was in high school, coaches just went with the talent the players already had. It was like, practice hard, then come game time, get on the field and play hard. I don't remember things like "player development." If Punahou football coaching is questionable, imagine how questionable it might be at OIA schools. I'm not trying to denigrate the OIA; I'm just saying that if private schools have inadequate coaching despite their deeper resources, how do the public schools get by?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:46 pm

That’s frustrating considering we’ve got many former coaches who’ve won state championships elsewhere. I also think there was disunity between Kale and his son last year. Sure as hell hope we can fix it.
@gopunahou: Disunity between Ane and his son? Now, that sucks. I mean, I don't care for Punahou School, and of course you're aware of that. But, I feel bad for Ane and his son on a human level. I feel bad that a father and his son are having problems; it's sad. I don't want Punahou's coaching to improve :), but I want Ane and his son to have a good relationship.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Great Season of HS football.....
Here's my waaaaaaayy early pre season D1 top 5 for next season. Just off of returning players from this past season......anything could happen in the off season. lol
1. Kahuku - Crazy talent returning. Sol jay, Alo-Maiava, Heffernan, alapa, vimahi, ah you, kaniho, emmerson, etc...... Believe me, if they all return, they'll be HUGE favorites to win it all.....HUGE!!!
2. Mililani - I usually wouldn't start the season with 2 OIA teams at the top, but Mils will be stacked again. 16 of 22 o and d starters will return, including Gabriel, chang, vegas, kuboyama, muasau, cadey, pilanca....yup, they'll be one of the top dogs once again.
3. St. Loius - They will lose a lot of key players...lol...does that even matter at stl?? not sure who the qb will be, but will return tuitele, quinones, McKenzie, bothello, mose, sykes, Wilson, latu....these are the few I remember when looking at the roster. I think not having a back up qb to take over will hurt
4. Punahou - These guys seem to reload too, much like the other top schools. they return Brady, tufono, liufau, gilman, makaula, clemons, falatea, kennedy. hopefully ane will get this talented bunch moving in the right direction again.
5. Campbell - Yup, I believe Johnson has this young team believing in his system. they should be contending for that OIA championship next season. Adkins kupukaa, tafai, tauai, kaipo....I won't be surprised if they pull out some upsets.....but it's waaaaay too early to know. That's why this is fun to do