unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:19 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 pm
genks wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:09 pm

I think all factors. Parents of young QBs are probably attracted to the pass first offense, of course being developed under the care of Coach Passas. If I had a son that showed potential early as a qb, I’d 100% send him to ST Louis to play. So many qbs get college scholarships coming out of this school. I’d feel the same i had a WR son that has speed and hands, send him to a school known for good qbs.

Last season, Chevan did score on the Punahou 1st team defense, but usually when he went it he just handed off the ball. We didn’t really see him throw. Definetly didn’t see the extent of his scrambling ability. Only watching scrimmages did I finally see him pass and wow, I was pleasantly very surprised. Coach Cal and Coach Ron had said they believe in him 100% in the beginning of this season but we didn’t see it yet. Ppeople used to comment “oh not Tua, you got no qb” and “ no qb to hit those WRs” man how wrong can you be
@genks: Well, when St Louis has an assistant coach like Ron Lee and a QB coach like Passas, it's hard to imagine them ever "running out" of good QBs. Wasn't Ron one of the first coaches to bring the run-and-shoot to Hawaii high-school football, when he was at Kaiser High in the mid-1970s? And of course, Passas' reputation as a QB coach speaks for itself. Even so, I would probably just have my kid attend the public school he's supposed to attend, based on our place of residence. Even if St Louis offered an athletic scholarship, I'm not so sure I'd send him there. If we lived relatively close to St Louis School, I might consider it, but, I'm not Catholic. Yes, you don't have to be Catholic to attend St Louis School, but there is that element. Secondly, I have concerns about the fact that St Louis is an all-boys school. I prefer co-ed high-schools, as kids can learn to interact normally with kids of the opposite sex. I've never been a supporter of single-gender schools. If we lived far from St Louis School, I wouldn't have my kid attend. Just go to the "neighborhood" public school (or, the school you're supposed to attend. If you live in Mayor Wright Homes, for example, Farrington High is your "neighborhood" school; it's only a few blocks away, and you can walk there in ten to fifteen minutes. Yet, Mayor Wright kids are assigned to McKinley High instead, which is quite further away.) I think kids need to learn to operate in an environment that's not too sheltered. In a public high-school, you learn to interact with kids from all walks of life; I think that's a valuable life lesson. Even if the "neighborhood" public high-school's football team isn't that good, a kid can learn from an experience like that, too. I think that all of those things I mentioned, collectively, constitute a life lesson that helps kids deal with life.
I mean from purely a football centered point of view. For a kid that may use football as a vehicle to get into college, ST Louis is a good choice for. Qb. People have different views on schools as far as education goes.
@genks: Roger that. But, I would hope that there are public high-schools here that can serve just about as well, as a vehicle to get into college as a QB. I guess the most obvious one at the moment is Mililani High, with McKenzie Milton doing so well at UCF. Current Mililani QB Dillon Gabriel seems promising too, and he's only a junior. There are guys at my place of employment who are OIA loyalists, having attended and having played for OIA schools themselves. Mililani High is a school they can point to. Mililani High has firmly established itself as an elite football school. I think they have earned a seat at the same table as St Louis School and Kahuku High, not only with the season they had this year, but also by virtue of their D1 state title three years ago. Like St Louis and Kahuku, Mililani can say, "Been there, done that." All three schools ranked in the Top Three in the state polls this year, and all three had won a state D1 / Open title within the last three to four years.

Wait: Can someone verify whether Gabriel is a junior or senior? The current Mililani roster on ScoringLive says he's a junior, yet a feature story about him being selected as OIA D1 Red offensive player of the year, says he's a senior. Isn't that lame? The same website contradicting itself. Let's go, ScoringLive.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS Football fanatic, I don't believe Kahuku has an Elephant package. They do have a short gain package where FB Toeale Lefau 5/11.225lbs,.line up right of Maiava with Samson Siilata 6'3"260 lbs.Laga Thompson 6'3" 225 lbs.then slides from the left and post in front of Siilata. Sekopu Latu 6'3" 250 is the blocking TE in front of them. If they are in the 4 yard line, it's usually a score.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:37 pm HS Football fanatic, I don't believe Kahuku has an Elephant package. They do have a short gain package where FB Toeale Lefau 5/11.225lbs,.line up right of Maiava with Samson Siilata 6'3"260 lbs.Laga Thompson 6'3" 225 lbs.then slides from the left and post in front of Siilata. Sekopu Latu 6'3" 250 is the blocking TE in front of them. If they are in the 4 yard line, it's usually a score.
@Markeke: Thanks for the heads-up. Someone else on this thread mentioned the "Kahuku 'elephant package'", but, I guess there's no such thing, then. I was willing to believe there was, because it seems Kahuku has these huge O-linemen every year, even more huge than the O-linemen Farrington seems to have every year. When you have bigger O-linemen than Farrington does, you are talking very huge. Anyway, I hope Kahuku gets inside St Louis' 4-yard line often enough to win. Against St Louis' defensive front-seven, that will be no easy task, to be sure.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Oh for got 2 more on that line package guard #54 Siosi Lauhingoa 6'2" 300lbs. And tackle#79 Silva Toelupe 5'11" 298 lbs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:51 pm Oh for got 2 more on that line package guard #54 Siosi Lauhingoa 6'2" 300lbs. And tackle#79 Silva Toelupe 5'11" 298 lbs.
@Markeke: Thanks! That sounds real good. I mean, a 300-lb guard and a 298-lb tackle. I mean, Kahuku's "short-gain" package is very intimidating, if you ask me. I'd hate to be a St Louis D-lineman on the other side of the ball. So, presumably Kahuku will use its "short-gain" package inside the 4. Perhaps they should also use it when it's 3rd and 3, anywhere on the field. This kind of weapon points-up one advantage that a school like Kahuku has: It's got ultra-huge O-linemen, good RBs, also huge RBs that can serve as run-blockers, and TEs. The good thing about TEs, of course, is that they're usually taller and thicker than SBs and WRs. Their thicker physique means they, too, can block. I've noticed that not every school even bothers to have TEs. When I was in high school back in the mid-1970s, it seemed that every school had TEs.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Here it is!!! The 2 teams we all knew would be in the state championship. 3 years in a row! I think it should be a good one. Kahuku got some size on that DL and will definitely put tons of pressure on cordiero with those blitz combos that they use. If stl OL can hold up, it could be a long night for kahuku. Same for kahuku on offense. if kahuku OL can hold that stl DL, they'll put points on the board. I think the key will be Nawahine, if kahuku can establish a run game early, sol jay can open up the passing game. It'll be another great championship atmosphere, I can't wait!!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 am Here it is!!! The 2 teams we all knew would be in the state championship. 3 years in a row! I think it should be a good one. Kahuku got some size on that DL and will definitely put tons of pressure on cordiero with those blitz combos that they use. If stl OL can hold up, it could be a long night for kahuku. Same for kahuku on offense. if kahuku OL can hold that stl DL, they'll put points on the board. I think the key will be Nawahine, if kahuku can establish a run game early, sol jay can open up the passing game. It'll be another great championship atmosphere, I can't wait!!!
@Dog 96707: I'm pulling for Kahuku, so my first question is, How big is Kahuku's D-line? Can you give an average weight? I would love to see them blitz Cordeiro's butt off. I'm assuming, too, that Kahuku's LBs will also be part of those blitz packages, especially since St Louis almost never runs the ball. So: How are Kahuku's LBs? Given that Kahuku has a big D-line, I sure hope they all (well, not all of them, but at least a number of them, and even at least one of the LBs) can get penetration. Now: How is Kahuku's O-line? Do they have adequate size to run-block St Louis' D-line? And, speaking of Nawahine, it's about time he had a big game. He didn't seem very productive the last two games. Finally: Maiava. How is his foot? Has it healed adequately? Can he scramble reasonably effectively? We know Kahuku's O is built primarily around the run-game, but Maiava has been effective with the pass-game at times. Obviously, this is the time, this is the game, for him to throw the ball well. But I'm concerned about his foot. Any word about it?

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

^^^Just wondering, do you actually watch the games either live or on TV every weekend?

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:07 pm
Dog 96707 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 am Here it is!!! The 2 teams we all knew would be in the state championship. 3 years in a row! I think it should be a good one. Kahuku got some size on that DL and will definitely put tons of pressure on cordiero with those blitz combos that they use. If stl OL can hold up, it could be a long night for kahuku. Same for kahuku on offense. if kahuku OL can hold that stl DL, they'll put points on the board. I think the key will be Nawahine, if kahuku can establish a run game early, sol jay can open up the passing game. It'll be another great championship atmosphere, I can't wait!!!
@Dog 96707: I'm pulling for Kahuku, so my first question is, How big is Kahuku's D-line? Can you give an average weight? I would love to see them blitz Cordeiro's butt off. I'm assuming, too, that Kahuku's LBs will also be part of those blitz packages, especially since St Louis almost never runs the ball. So: How are Kahuku's LBs? Given that Kahuku has a big D-line, I sure hope they all (well, not all of them, but at least a number of them, and even at least one of the LBs) can get penetration. Now: How is Kahuku's O-line? Do they have adequate size to run-block St Louis' D-line? And, speaking of Nawahine, it's about time he had a big game. He didn't seem very productive the last two games. Finally: Maiava. How is his foot? Has it healed adequately? Can he scramble reasonably effectively? We know Kahuku's O is built primarily around the run-game, but Maiava has been effective with the pass-game at times. Obviously, this is the time, this is the game, for him to throw the ball well. But I'm concerned about his foot. Any word about it?
Not sure the exact size, but Reed #92, #91, #90 and #99 are pretty big dudes. Gotta be at least 6'3/6'4 between 250lb and 280lbs. yes, their lbs Ah You and Atuaia will be the blitzing lbs, they're pretty fast. kahuku OL got 2 big tackles and the interior guys seem pretty solid and stout, they should match up well with stl DL. I haven't heard anything about sol jay. I know his foot is injured, but I think it has been for the last several games. I'm sure he'll be ready to go.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:29 pm ^^^Just wondering, do you actually watch the games either live or on TV every weekend?
@bandits: Actually, not. That's why I have to keep asking around. I do some research on ScoringLive, but I gotta get most inside info from guys on this message-board. Well, I do watch some of the games on OC16, but I'm not always around a TV to watch. I'm pulling for Kahuku, so I'm picking guys' brains, trying to see how tough a fight Kahuku will put-up against St Louis. I'm trying to find-out whether Kahuku is big enough, bad enough, and skilled enough to beat St Louis. Guys on this message-board have been giving me hope; guys like Markeke and Dog 96707. By the way, I'd like to thank those guys right here for their inside info about Kahuku's team. I'm stoked about Kahuku's size, depth, and talent, particulary in the trenches.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:07 pm
Not sure the exact size, but Reed #92, #91, #90 and #99 are pretty big dudes. Gotta be at least 6'3/6'4 between 250lb and 280lbs. yes, their lbs Ah You and Atuaia will be the blitzing lbs, they're pretty fast. kahuku OL got 2 big tackles and the interior guys seem pretty solid and stout, they should match up well with stl DL. I haven't heard anything about sol jay. I know his foot is injured, but I think it has been for the last several games. I'm sure he'll be ready to go.
@Dog 96707: Thanks. You know, I just love jersey #s that are in the 90s. Most guys who wear them are large, kick-butt DE types. Regarding the LBs, now that you've mentioned Ah You, his name does sound familiar. I think some guy on this thread posted that Ah You rested against Waianae, and that he should therefore be fresh and rested to play against St Louis. Regarding Kahuku's O-line, I'm glad to hear that the interior linemen are solid and stout. They'll need all the solidity and stoutness they can muster, to take on St Louis D-lineman Tuitele. And even behind Tuitele, St Louis' tough LBs are lurking. A very short poem: Kahuku's interior O-linemen need to be solid and stout, to take St Louis out. Finally, while Nawahine will play a central role as the best RB for run-heavy Kahuku, I think Maiava might be even more important still. After all, if Kahuku has to pass (and, given St Louis' tough defensive front-seven, he probably will have to pass at least some), Maiava will almost certainly have to be mobile. I don't think he'll have the luxury of just dropping-back and taking all day to find a receiver. He'll probably have to scramble. If his foot is still tender...

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

One guarantee is that St. Louis will stack the box. Can Kahuku respond to that? If they used a bunch of unexpected pass last year (like they did against us in 2011 and 2012), they likely would’ve won. Unexpected successful pass plays will give them a chance.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:24 pm One guarantee is that St. Louis will stack the box. Can Kahuku respond to that? If they used a bunch of unexpected pass last year (like they did against us in 2011 and 2012), they likely would’ve won. Unexpected successful pass plays will give them a chance.

What I thought was interesting, was Kahuku went straight to passing against Mililani. Almost like they wanted to scare them back a bit then they could run.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:24 pm One guarantee is that St. Louis will stack the box. Can Kahuku respond to that? If they used a bunch of unexpected pass last year (like they did against us in 2011 and 2012), they likely would’ve won. Unexpected successful pass plays will give them a chance.
@gopunahou: I think Kahuku's D lost year's game; they let Tagovailoa run all over the place. St Louis has a similarly scramble-capable QB in Cordeiro. Hopefully, this year, Kahuku's defensive front-seven have made-up their minds: "Cordeiro is not going to run wild and free like Tagovailoa did last year. We're simply not going to allow it; we're gonna take him down. We've made-up our minds."

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:12 pm

What I thought was interesting, was Kahuku went straight to passing against Mililani. Almost like they wanted to scare them back a bit then they could run.
@genks: I don't think they should try the same thing against St Louis. For one thing, I think St Louis' secondary is better than Mililani's secondary, so it's probably not a good idea to fling the ball around unless you have to. For another, Kahuku isn't a pass-oriented team. It's one thing for Mililani to fling the ball against St Louis; Mililani had a good pass-game, and they took a two-TD lead with it early on. It's another thing for Kahuku to fling it around. This is not to say Kahuku's pass-game sucks, but they don't throw the ball quite as well as Mililani. Finally, if Maiava's foot isn't 100%, he might be less effective if he has to scramble rather than hand the ball off. I think Kahuku should keep the pass-game in their back pocket unless they have to throw (such as if it's third and long), or unless their OC sees something in St Louis' D that makes throwing the ball more advantageous, such as if they load the box, or if he sees something in their pass-coverage.