unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

unpaid D-I football

Post by unpaid »

Maxpreps' 2017 top five for Hawaii high school football is 1. Kahuku,2. St.Louis,3.Mililani,4.Kapolei,and 5.Punahou.

Kahuku certainly has talent every year,and as a few of you have noted, a lot of local kids are transferring back from the mainland to Kahuku. I think St.Louis has enough coming back for me to keep them at One until somebody can beat them.

I thought the Punahou rank was a little low. To me, the Puns ,on paper are the best balanced team on both sides of the ball excepting Mililani.However, I felt that The 2015 and 2016 Punahou squads were better on paper than St. Louis.... But the Crusaders took the ILH titles both years. So, I think Punahou is going to have to prove they can beat St.Louis on the field. Then,we can see if they can win a state title this year.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I'm calling it here first, I think Campbell pulls an upset against Waianae.

In my heart, Big Red is top dog, but all that matters is the ranking at the end. Until then and barring any upsets in the ILH, road to the state Championship goes through the defending champs.

RRFL!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners Week One,

No.1 St. Louis and No.7 Waianae

Losing a starting linebacker doesn't help the Crusaders but,overall,they still have maybe the best defense in the 808.The QB'S and receivers looked pretty good against Campbell in a scrimmage.Waianae's strength is on defense this year, and I expect that the Searider D will be a little tougher in a game that counts.The offense may not be as potent as it was last year,but they will have three guys who can move the ball on the ground, especially Rosario.My pick here is St.Louis for the win.

No.6 Farrington and No.8 Kamehameha

Farrington is motivated to win their true, first ever home opener at the on-campus Skippa Diaz facility. what puts that in jeopardy is that a lot of offensive skill position starters have had to be replaced. I am not sure that the new guys can outscore the Warriors. I think Kamehameha takes the win...barely.

No.5 Kapolei and No.9 Campbell

My feeling is Kapolei is too strong on the line for the Sabers.Besides,Campbell has gone through a coaching change and there is an adjustment that has to be made by the players and coaches.Hurricanes have the better D. On offense,both sides have new faces at QB,but Kapolei should have the advantage here.Hurricanes should win.

tinkersocial
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by tinkersocial »

Top Ten after scrimmage week/brief synopsis of all teams:

1- Kahuku
2- Punahou
3- Kamehameha
4- St. Louis
5- Mililani
6- Farrington
7- Waianae
8- Kapolei
9- Leilehua
10- Moanalua

Honorable Mention-

Campbell- New staff has to prove they can collectively put something together...Puzzling that they even had a coaching change to begin with...
Team that could finish in the top five of the OIA or at the bottom of their DI division when its all said and done...

Kailua- Interesting team that will compete and get better as the season progresses...Another team that could throw a weekly wrench into the ranking talk...

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Any updates on this past weeks scrimmages? I got to watch the majority of the stl v. Kailua one on Saturday but didn't get to see any other teams in action.
From what I saw, Kailua had about 35 players total, pretty small numbers for Kailua
Offensively, Kailua really couldn't do much against the stl Defense. stl have numbers on their practice jerseys, so I recognized the usual suspects. They look tough and ready for the season.
I wanted to see how the stl offense would look without tua at qb. They look pretty good
Cordeiro looks like the real deal, and got some skill guys to work with. Panoke and kekahuna are fast and shifty targets.
Looks like stl also added a little run to go along with the shoot. #8 and #14 took turns running the rock, #8 had a 50yd run to the house.
Kailua looked pretty good on D, their front 7 will be their strength.
All in all, stl looks primed and ready to roll into the season. Kailua should be a formidable team in the oia, but not they won't compete with the oia big 3 (kahuku, Mililani and Kapolei)

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

After today's advertiser, it'll probably look like this for the 1 and 2 spot:
1- STL
2- Kahuku
3- Punahou
4- Mililani
5- Waianae
6- Kapolei
7- Kamehameha
8- Farrington
9- Campbell
10- Iolani

I like it except Kapolei should be higher than Mililani and Waianae in my opinion especially with the added addition of Toilolo. It's going to be an interesting year.
STL should be fun to watch with their Defense. Good luck to all teams in their season opener this weekend.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:48 am After today's advertiser, it'll probably look like this for the 1 and 2 spot:
1- STL
2- Kahuku
3- Punahou
4- Mililani
5- Waianae
6- Kapolei
7- Kamehameha
8- Farrington
9- Campbell
10- Iolani

I like it except Kapolei should be higher than Mililani and Waianae in my opinion especially with the added addition of Toilolo. It's going to be an interesting year.
STL should be fun to watch with their Defense. Good luck to all teams in their season opener this weekend.
Iolani isn't D1 anymore :wink:

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Neighbor wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:33 pm
ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:48 am After today's advertiser, it'll probably look like this for the 1 and 2 spot:
1- STL
2- Kahuku
3- Punahou
4- Mililani
5- Waianae
6- Kapolei
7- Kamehameha
8- Farrington
9- Campbell
10- Iolani

Iolani isn't D1 anymore :wink:

I know, I dont understand why the advertiser have them on there with the rest of the D1 teams. :lol:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Nothing to do with D1 or D2, but the Star-Advertiser is listing their top 10 teams in the State.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Let's see if I got this right: in Star-Advertiser's preseason top-10, Iolani -- despite declaring for the lowest possible division in the state tourney -- is ranked just below Farrington and Campbell, who are also ranked on ScoringLive's D1-only top-10 list. That means that a good amount of football people believe that the Raiders are, on paper at least, better than quality OIA D1 teams like Kailua and Moanalua, and better than defending D2 champ Lahainaluna. Basically the voters believe in Iolani more than their own coaches and admin.

On top of that, if both St. Francis and Damien declare for the D1 tourney, Iolani would only have to beat out Pac-5 to make the D2 state tourney. They could lose every single regular season game except the ones vs Pac-5 and still play in the postseason.

Hard to root for a team like that. :-?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I think that just shows how much the advertiser looked into Iolani, even with their numerous articles calling them out. Yes they have a top QB and top WR, but they're small even by division 2 standards. still, they have a relatively easy path to the state tournament and i guess you cant really underestimate them. But no way they're a top 10 team in the entire state

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week One,

1.St.Louis 1-0 Waianae never had a chance.The Crusaders are roaring out of the blocks.
2.Kahuku 0-0 Did not play.
3.Mililani 0-0 DNP
4.Punahou 1-0
5.Kapolei 1-0 beat Campbell.
6.Kamehameha 1-0 Beat Farrington.
7.Farrington 0-1 Fell to Kamehameha
8.Waianae 0-1 lost to St. Louis.
9.Leilehua 1-0 Beat D-II St. Francis.
10.Campbell 0-1 Fell to Kapolei.

ILH combined 5-1 against OIA this week. Ouch.

tinkersocial
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by tinkersocial »

My Week 2 Ranking:

1.Kahuku
2.Mililani
3.St. Louis
4.Punahou
5.Kam
6.Kapolei
7.Leilehua
8. Farrington
9. Waianae
10. Kailua

Outside looking in:

Moanalua, Aiea, Campbell

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

tinkersocial wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:06 pm My Week 2 Ranking:

1.Kahuku
2.Mililani
3.St. Louis
4.Punahou
5.Kam
6.Kapolei
7.Leilehua
8. Farrington
9. Waianae
10. Kailua

Outside looking in:

Moanalua, Aiea, Campbell
Really? I can't stand the Crusaders, but there is no way Trojans s/b ranked higher; and until proven otherwise, Crusaders still have the edge over Big Red.....for now.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners Week Two,

No.2 Kahuku and No.9 Leilehua.

To me, Coach Kurisu nailed it when he suggested his team didn't take St. Francis seriously. The final was 13-9 Leilehua. If the call on the last play had been different,St. Francis would have had a chance for the upset. If that is where the Mules' players heads are at, then they don't stand a chance against Kahuku.Big Red takes care of business . Kahuku should take the W.

No.7 Farrington and No.10 Campbell.

The Govs put up 15 on Kamehameha in a loss. The Sabers put up 7 on Kapolei in a loss. I think the defenses are a wash. So I will go with the team who put up more points against a top ten opponent last week. I like Farrington to win this matchup.

No.5 Kapolei and No.8 Waianae.

I think Kapolei has the better defense. Both squads are retooling on offense,but I think Kapolei is ahead on offense too. Hurricanes should beat the Seariders.