unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:41 pm
reignjah11 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:23 pm
genks wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 pm

I think what gopunahou means is the OIA will probably disagree with a 2nd consecutive game between Kahuku and Mililani.

Conventional seeding and tournament layout would give us, as you mentioned

#1 STL vs #4 Waianae (or Campbell)

Vs

#2 Kahuku vs #3 Mililani

But seeing as how Kahuku and Mililani would’ve just played each other, not sure if politics would allow conventional seeding.

By the way, rematches can go very different from the first game between 2 talented teams.
I know fans wanna see St. Louis play both kahuku and mililani but Saint Louis deserves to play the 4 seed here. It's a huge advantage to play Campbell-Waianae (I kno anything can happen but those teams on not on the same level) and essentially get to rest players in a case of a blowout for the following week.
@genks: I should come clean and mention here that in States, the only school I would support St Louis against is Mililani. I think I alluded to that at least a week ago. But, in all fairness, I think you're right that St Louis shouldn't have to play any school seeded 3 or above. I think that would be unfair to St Louis, given their rank, record, and performance this season. I mean, gotta be fair, no matter how one feels about a school.
It’s all good. Not everyone needs to be on the same team. I facts what makes this board interesting. People supporting different teams but being cool

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid, my point is that the OIA will try to do everything in its power to have St. Louis play both the runner-up and OIA champion (should St. Louis beat the runner-up). It’ll try to give its winner the best chance to win the state championship and with its large numbers, influence the seeding.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

bandits1 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:23 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:03 pm@bandits1: Even after what St Louis did to Kamehameha last night? OK, Kamehameha can't throw the ball like Mililani. But now the question becomes, can Mililani's D contain St Louis' pass game? Is Mililani's D that much better than Kamehameha's? I mean, I agree Mililani is better than Kamehameha, but how much better? OK, I think Mililani might be able to beat St Louis, but even if they did, I don't think they'd win by more than one TD. St Louis is simply too much on both O and D. Primarily, I just don't think Mililani's D can contain St Louis' pass game enough to allow Mililani's O to outscore them. Yes, Mililani has a much better run game than St Louis does. Another guy on this thread said that St Louis is vulnerable for that reason. Well, the lack of a run game didn't hurt them at all against Kamehameha. And Kamehameha, like Mililani, does have a run game. Not as good, but pretty good. Likewise, Kamehameha has a pretty decent pass game, though it was MIA last night. The bottom line is that despite everything I mentioned here, the game still wasn't close. This raises the question of how a St Louis vs Mililani game might turn out. And, even close doesn't count. It's win or lose.
Can't compare Mililani and Kam when, IMO, Mililani is much closer to St. Louis in level. Mililani would wipe Kam out just as bad or worse than St. Louis did. Trojans have arguably the best QB in the state, rivaled only by Cordero. A couple of schools might have a better single RB, but Mililani might have the best stable of RBs in the state with Malepeai, Olomua and change-of-pace back Motoyama. Their D has proven rock-solid, but like everyone's fairly pointed out they haven't played Kahuku or St. Louis yet -- but that argument goes all three ways.

It's about time to stop talking about Kam, Punahou and whoever loses the OIA 3rd place game next week. It's clear at this point that those teams were several cuts below and none of them even had a chance this season.
@bandits1: Agree that Mililani QB Gabriel is probably right behink St Louis QB Cordeiro. And, for sure, Mililani's run game is way better than St Louis'. The question is: How good is Mililani's D against the pass, and especially, the St Louis pass game? And, as good as Mililani's pass game is, will it be able to score adequately against St Louis' D? Yes, Mililani can run the ball, but St Louis' D seems to be good against the run, too. Now, I agree that Kamehameha, Waianae and Campbell are/were "several cuts below," but I don't know that we could say the same about Punahou, and trust me, I don't care for Punahou. But, they looked pretty formidable early in the season. In Punahou's case, I'd say they never had a chance only since the second round of the ILH season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:20 pm unpaid, my point is that the OIA will try to do everything in its power to have St. Louis play both the runner-up and OIA champion (should St. Louis beat the runner-up). It’ll try to give its winner the best chance to win the state championship and with its large numbers, influence the seeding.
@gopunahou: Yeah, that's the politics again. And this year, the OIA has two legit teams in Kahuku and Mililani. Both of those teams would give St Louis a very good rub. In fact, I'm hoping that Kahuku will beat them, but St Louis is so tough on both sides of the ball. Right now, I think Kahuku's D is just as good as St Louis', and Kahuku's run game is probably infinitely better than St Louis', seeing as St Louis seems to have almost no run game at all. So, the key might be Kahuku's pass game. It's been coming along during their last two games. If they can keep improving that pass game, St Louis will have to be very concerned.

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westside.gee »

IMHO it was kind of eye popping to see all these big polynesians playing for Mililani and just running over Waianae. I know the Malepeai boys are from Aiea and Agasivas from Kalihi but I read in some other post that Mililani is building a team to compete against Kahuku and St. Loius. This is what it comes down to for the trojans, OIA title on the line and a strong showing in the State tourney. Excited for these up coming games and Im glad that there is a 3rd team that has a chance at the state title rather then the typical two.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

westside.gee wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:28 pm IMHO it was kind of eye popping to see all these big polynesians playing for Mililani and just running over Waianae. I know the Malepeai boys are from Aiea and Agasivas from Kalihi but I read in some other post that Mililani is building a team to compete against Kahuku and St. Loius. This is what it comes down to for the trojans, OIA title on the line and a strong showing in the State tourney. Excited for these up coming games and Im glad that there is a 3rd team that has a chance at the state title rather then the typical two.
@westside.gee: Yeah. It's not often that Waianae gets blasted by schools other than St Louis and Kahuku. Mililani is definitely legit this year; they've got a good pass game, a good run game, and a good D. Mililani can now tell St Louis and Kahuku, "Move over! Make room! WE are now competitive with YOU!" Kahuku does have to be concerned. I'm hoping Kahuku wins, but I think it's going to be close. I think Kahuku's D might just be able to cancel-out the fact that Mililani has a better pass game. I hope Kahuku has a decent FG kicker, because, who knows? It might come down to that. I think the game is going to be packed. You know Kahuku fans/alumni will be out in force.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Right now the Top 3 teams in the State are St Louis, Kahuku and Mililani. And not in that particular order. Most of you are seeding St.Louis as #1. (8-0). If Mililani beats Kahuku for the OIA, they would be 11-0. Why wouldn't the HHSAA then put Mililani at 1 seed, St.Louis 2,Kahuku at 3 and Campbell at 4? Then that would make more sense. Not saying Mililani will beat Kahuku, but everyone here believes St.Louis is automatic #1.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Markeke wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:38 pm Right now the Top 3 teams in the State are St Louis, Kahuku and Mililani. And not in that particular order. Most of you are seeding St.Louis as #1. (8-0). If Mililani beats Kahuku for the OIA, they would be 11-0. Why wouldn't the HHSAA then put Mililani at 1 seed, St.Louis 2,Kahuku at 3 and Campbell at 4? Then that would make more sense. Not saying Mililani will beat Kahuku, but everyone here believes St.Louis is automatic #1.
Most if not all media outlets have the Crusaders at #1. Strength of schedule and probably the fact that they are the defending state champions. Mililani’s biggest win has been Waianae, or Clayton Valley. Mililani passes the eye test for sure but don’t have big wins.

St Louis is also ranked nationally between 15-25 depending on which national ranking you go by. They are your #1 ranked team in the state of Hawaii until they are beaten.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:09 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:20 pm unpaid, my point is that the OIA will try to do everything in its power to have St. Louis play both the runner-up and OIA champion (should St. Louis beat the runner-up). It’ll try to give its winner the best chance to win the state championship and with its large numbers, influence the seeding.
@gopunahou: Yeah, that's the politics again. And this year, the OIA has two legit teams in Kahuku and Mililani. Both of those teams would give St Louis a very good rub. In fact, I'm hoping that Kahuku will beat them, but St Louis is so tough on both sides of the ball. Right now, I think Kahuku's D is just as good as St Louis', and Kahuku's run game is probably infinitely better than St Louis', seeing as St Louis seems to have almost no run game at all. So, the key might be Kahuku's pass game. It's been coming along during their last two games. If they can keep improving that pass game, St Louis will have to be very concerned.
The OIA probably remembers what happened 3 years ago when we faced two great teams in Kahuku and Mililani. I think the Kahuku game took a toll on us before we played Mililani.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

Really wish we could sub ILH #2 for OIA #3. Not trying to watch the OIA Champ blowout either of those teams again.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

The open division should just play OIA 1 vs ILH 1. If ever a outer island team enters the open division, then make it a 4 team tournament and select an at large team.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I agree, get rid of the OIA #3 and put in the ILH #2.
OR, go back to the Prep Bowl format:
OIA #1 vs ILH #1 for the Title
OIA #2 vs ILH # for 3rd and 4th place.

Give the OIA teams an opportunity to either keep the "pre-season" cross division game, or schedule an additional out of state opponent.

Good luck to all the teams!

RRFL!!!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 am I agree, get rid of the OIA #3 and put in the ILH #2.

Give the OIA teams an opportunity to either keep the "pre-season" cross division game, or schedule an additional out of state opponent.

RRFL!!!
I like the preseason non league games. My hope for a season (St Louis) would be preseason non league OIA game, and 2 mainland teams. Also STL playing Baldwin preseason was maybe not the best idea. We’ve played Mililani 2015-2016 and this year was Waianae and Baldwin. I’d like to keep mixing it up. Anything to add variety to the usual ILH D1 schedule.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:38 pm Right now the Top 3 teams in the State are St Louis, Kahuku and Mililani. And not in that particular order. Most of you are seeding St.Louis as #1. (8-0). If Mililani beats Kahuku for the OIA, they would be 11-0. Why wouldn't the HHSAA then put Mililani at 1 seed, St.Louis 2,Kahuku at 3 and Campbell at 4? Then that would make more sense. Not saying Mililani will beat Kahuku, but everyone here believes St.Louis is automatic #1.
@Markeke: You would seed Mililani #1, ahead of St Louis? I mean, I suppose it's within the realm of possibility that Mililani might beat St Louis, but I'd say it's much more likely that St Louis would beat Mililani.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:09 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 am I agree, get rid of the OIA #3 and put in the ILH #2.

RRFL!!!
I like the preseason non league games. My hope for a season (St Louis) would be preseason non league OIA game, and 2 mainland teams. Also STL playing Baldwin preseason was maybe not the best idea. We’ve played Mililani 2015-2016 and this year was Waianae and Baldwin. I’d like to keep mixing it up. Anything to add variety to the usual ILH D1 schedule.
@genks: Almost every year recently, St Louis has played Baldwin in preseason. My guess is that it's because Baldwin's HC, Pohai Lee, is St Louis HC Cal Lee's nephew. Also, Pohai is a St Louis alumnus, and played for Cal Lee back in the mid-'80s.