unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

@Aitorahi

I agree on Nawahine he looks great. Best move he ever made going to Kahuku where they will use his talents.Tough guy, runs tough, has put up points against my boys in the past.

Aitorahi
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

@genks

I will take that back. Narbonne is a good team. I didn't see the STL game and based my comment on the game I watched against Centennial. Didn't realize that Centennial was a top 5 team. To me the state championship is looking like it will be between STL, MILL, and KAH. One of these 3 will most likely have to battle the other two. Can't wait for it to play out. Still way early tho.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@Aitorahi

I will say this. There have been teams that look good, score high, etc. THen they get in there against that Kahuku defense. Looks close 1st quarter. Kahuku starting to gain momentum 2nd quarter. Kahuku runs start breaking lose for 10-20 yards 3rd quarter, now Kahuku defense scores 4th quarter.

Much has been said about Mililani. I think they look much better than last year, for sure. But against Kahuku? Hmmm not sold honestly. Gabriel does make mistakes. When he runs he doesn’t always make the best choices. Mililani needs to reeeaallly tighten it up to challenge Kahuku for the OIA title and in states. I do think it will be Kahuku vs Mililani for the OIA title.

If we can get by Punahou for the ILH title, STL and Kahuku will be on opposite sides of the bracket. Very unfortunate for Waianae should they make it to states. I don’t think they will Bracket Mil vs Kahuku in states if they just played for the OIA title. I’m confident in my boys against Mililani.

So many “ifs” that’s why I enjoy posting here. Everyone is cool, and we can all speculate on what will happen.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:54 pm
genks wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:56 pm I feel Kahuku vs STL could go either way. Hard to match them up till they are in the field. What’s encouraging for STL fans is the success they’ve been having stuffing the run. Kahuku has very good DBs to make passing difficult. Hard to tell.
@genks: Again, I would love to see Kahuku beat St Louis, but I just don't see it happening. First of all, Kahuku is nowhere as good as Narbonne. Secondly, St Louis' pass game is simply too much to handle, Kahuku's good DBs notwithstanding. Third, Kahuku just doesn't have an O that's good enough to stay with St Louis. Their O certainly isn't as good as Narbonne's, right? I mean, I'm willing to say that Kahuku's D is just about as good as St Louis' D, but Kahuku's O is outclassed by St Louis' O. I think that's about the size of it. I don't think Kahuku can keep-up on the offensive side of the ball. Speaking of Kahuku, where's rrforlife? Haven't seem him on this message-board for weeks.
Mililani-STL might go either way too. And keep in mind, playing BOTH of those teams could take a toll.

We looked both unstoppable and untouchable in 2014 before the Kahuku game. Playing good teams in Kahuks and Mills took a toll and was one of the reasons we lost the next game (along with lackluster coaching).

This is one of the few years that the OIA possesses two teams that could win it all.
@gopunahou: Do you really think Mililani has a chance against St Louis? I think St Louis would be too much on both O and D. I think the measuring stick should be Narbonne, and I think St Louis is the only team in Hawaii who can--and did--beat Narbonne. Really, I don't see Mililani or Kahuku beating St Louis. I would love to see Kahuku beat St Louis, but as for Mililani, well, I don't particularly like that school. If it came down to St Louis and Mililani playing for the D1 state title, I'd probably be neutral. I don't exactly care for either school.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Aitorahi wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm Narbonne is not that great. They got smoked by Centennial 52-6. Couldn't really score. I watched the game on tv and turned it off when it was still 52-0 in the 4th. They also lost to Long Beach Poly. Loosing record at this point.

Kahuku's defense is tops, imho. Held a top 10 team to 17 points in Bingham, 14 of which came off drives with fake punts. But, it's the O that I'm worried about. Not sure they can beat STL without an effective pass game. They probably need at least 28 points on offense to beat the Crusaders. Nawahine is a beast tho. I would say best RB in the state. once again, imho. Good luck to all teams.
@Aitorahi: That's exactly what I think, as was evidenced in my earlier posts. OK, let's say that Kahuku's D is slightly better than St Louis' D, which is saying a lot. The problem for Kahuku is on O. Nawahine may be the best RB in the state, and Kahuku might have the best run game in the state. But, can they beat St Louis with it? I don't know. St Louis is also tough against the run, besides.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

#LouGang wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:15 pm Saint Louis won already. OIA is complete okole besides Kahuku. Kahuku is also small this year and not to good on deffense as previous years. Punahou and Kam are both not scoring more than 14 on Saint louis unless its garbage points. If any one believes another Hawaii team can beat Saint louis you are completly out of your mind. OIA is trash and Kam and Punahou arnt good
@LouGang: Well, I don't think we can characterize Mililani as "okole." I think you would have to put Mililani up there with Kahuku, then say the rest of the OIA is okole. As for Kamehameha and Punahou, can you really say they aren't good? Kamehameha seems to have become very competitive again now that Yam is back, and he didn't even play the entire game against Punahou. Even then, they almost beat Punahou. I would say that Kamehameha and Punahou are good, but it's just that St Louis is even better.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Aitorahi wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:11 pm @genks

I will take that back. Narbonne is a good team. I didn't see the STL game and based my comment on the game I watched against Centennial. Didn't realize that Centennial was a top 5 team. To me the state championship is looking like it will be between STL, MILL, and KAH. One of these 3 will most likely have to battle the other two. Can't wait for it to play out. Still way early tho.
@Aitorahi: I totally agree that one of those three--St Louis, Kahuku, or Mililani--will wear the D1 state crown. However, I would think that St Louis is the clear favorite, even at this early stage.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:35 pm @Aitorahi

I will say this. There have been teams that look good, score high, etc. THen they get in there against that Kahuku defense. Looks close 1st quarter. Kahuku starting to gain momentum 2nd quarter. Kahuku runs start breaking lose for 10-20 yards 3rd quarter, now Kahuku defense scores 4th quarter.

Much has been said about Mililani. I think they look much better than last year, for sure. But against Kahuku? Hmmm not sold honestly. Gabriel does make mistakes. When he runs he doesn’t always make the best choices. Mililani needs to reeeaallly tighten it up to challenge Kahuku for the OIA title and in states. I do think it will be Kahuku vs Mililani for the OIA title.

If we can get by Punahou for the ILH title, STL and Kahuku will be on opposite sides of the bracket. Very unfortunate for Waianae should they make it to states. I don’t think they will Bracket Mil vs Kahuku in states if they just played for the OIA title. I’m confident in my boys against Mililani.

So many “ifs” that’s why I enjoy posting here. Everyone is cool, and we can all speculate on what will happen.
@genks: Someone on this thread said Kahuku's D can be competitive against St Louis' O because Kahuku has good DBs. To me, while good DBs are important, it's even more important that a team have a good defensive front-seven that can harass the QB. I'd rather make things tough for the QB at the line of scrimmage than in the secondary. OK, Kahuku's D might give St Louis' O a bad time, but St Louis' D will be giving Kahuku's O a bad time as well. I think Kahuku will have to find a pass game. Kahuku can't just try to run the ball up St Louis' butt. Kamehameha tried that, but got blown-out. That's despite the fact that, like Kahuku, Kamehameha has a good O-line and a good RB (Shannon). Kahuku would give St Louis a better game, but I think they'd still lose. I'm fairly confident that St Louis will beat Punahou again. As for Waianae, well, they almost certainly won't win the state title. I don't see them getting past St Louis, Kahuku, or Mililani. So, assuming that Waianae makes it to states, they should just go one game at a time, and play until they're eliminated. Waianae is a good team, but St Louis, Kahuku, and Mililani are simply at a different level. Waianae would just have to be happy that they made it to the big dance (states), and go as far in the tournament as they can.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Narbonne was good experience for Chevan. There were many plays where the rush can real quick. I think when he runs he makes good choices. Even when rushed he’s been pretty elusive so far. Plus he showed off a sweet spin move one against Narbonne lol

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 pm Narbonne was good experience for Chevan. There were many plays where the rush can real quick. I think when he runs he makes good choices. Even when rushed he’s been pretty elusive so far. Plus he showed off a sweet spin move one against Narbonne lol
@genks: I think Cordeiro is the best QB in the state. Only Mililani's Gabriel and Punahou's Barber come close.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:39 pm
genks wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 pm Narbonne was good experience for Chevan. There were many plays where the rush can real quick. I think when he runs he makes good choices. Even when rushed he’s been pretty elusive so far. Plus he showed off a sweet spin move one against Narbonne lol
@genks: I think Cordeiro is the best QB in the state. Only Mililani's Gabriel and Punahou's Barber come close.

I agree 100%

HaterOfElitists

Post by HaterOfElitists »

#LouGang wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:15 pm Saint Louis won already. OIA is complete okole besides Kahuku. Kahuku is also small this year and not to good on deffense as previous years. Punahou and Kam are both not scoring more than 14 on Saint louis unless its garbage points. If any one believes another Hawaii team can beat Saint louis you are completly out of your mind. OIA is trash and Kam and Punahou arnt good
Nice job of giving Kahuku more motivation.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HaterOfElitists wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:23 am
Nice job of giving Kahuku more motivation.
@HaterOfElitists: Well, Kahuku will need more than "more motivation" to beat St Louis, though I certainly wish they could, as I prefer Kahuku to St Louis. Having said that, is Kahuku really "small" this year? Was Kahuku ever small, especially over the past 30 years? And, I thought Kahuku's D is good. Perhaps not as good as it was several years ago, but still good.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Kahuku don't need anymore motivation than losing the state championship last year. that should be enough to fuel them this season.
The game I'm waiting for is that kauhuku v. Mililani match up......#1 offense in the OIA v. #1 defense in the OIA. Big time battle!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:49 am Kahuku don't need anymore motivation than losing the state championship last year. that should be enough to fuel them this season.
The game I'm waiting for is that kauhuku v. Mililani match up......#1 offense in the OIA v. #1 defense in the OIA. Big time battle!!
@Dog 96707: Yeah, I still think Kahuku was the better team last year, but St Louis was the better team that night. But again, I don't think Kahuku will beat St Louis this year on motivation alone. As for the Mililani game, I think Kahuku might win. I think the only team that can beat Kahuku is St Louis, but we'll see.