Way too early football top tens

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Way too early football top tens

Post by unpaid »

Summer camps start around two months from now so a lot can happen before the start of the 2017 season....especially transfers, so if you know of transfers that might affect a team's roster,let me know so I can update the capsules.

D-II

1.Lahainaluna. The defending champs figure to feature strong line play and defense as the Lunas try to win consecutive titles
Despite the return of Iolani to D-II.
2.Iolani. Raiders return to D-II and I expect that they will start dominating again. A state title this year would not surprise me.
3.Damien.Marcus Faufata-Pedrina QB leads the way for the Monarchs on offense.Kaimana Cameron handles
The kicking while Matt Faufata-Pedrina LB,Shiloh Kaeo DL,and Pomai Kim DL head the defense.Damien has been better
Than St. Francis the past two years and I can see that continuing this year.
4.St.Francis.The Saints are as physical and tough as any team in D-II. Still,they can't seem to get past Damien,and now Iolani is
Back on the playground.
5.Waipahu.QB Braden Amorozo returns to throw to top targets Isaac Yamashita and Isaac Harris.RB Alfred Failauga gets the ground
yards for the Marauders. Not sure about the defense,but the firepower is there to outscore opponents.
6.Konawaena.The Wildcats seem to be perennial contenders now.Austin Ewing is back at QB and Seau Amor is an all-star LB.
7.Kaimuki.The Bulldogs get Jordan Solomon back at QB,with Sia Maiava LB and huge DL Saama Paama on defense.
8.Kauai. I think the Red Raiders will get back on top in the KIF this fall.
9.Pearl City.Zion Fetui-Tupuola DL 6-4 240 is a rock.Zameer Khan does the kicking.Kasey Kikuyama patrols the defensive backfield.
10. Kalani.

D-I

1. St. Louis. Chevan Cordeiro should be the QB. Not sure who he throws to, but Cal Lee says he has plenty of guys to step up and
catch passes.I believe him.Still no reliable running game.Rock-ribbed defense with Noa Purcell,Faatui Tuitele,Dylan
Toilolo,and Isaac Tufaga returning.
2.Kahuku.Sol-Jay back at QB is a good start.Samson Reed and Miki AhYou should be leaders on defense along with George
Lauhingoa.Red Raiders lost a lot of graduated talent and based on that alone ,I might have put them as low as four,but
They have been on a roll recently.
3. Mililani. Surprised? The Trojans should have more good players coming back than you think.290-pounders Scottie Agasiva and
Noah Williams will make paths for QB Dillon Gabriel and RB Jalen Olomua who also plays LB on defense.Asher Pilanca
Is in the defensive backfield.
4.Punahou.Stephen Barber has patiently waited for years ,and now he gets the controls at QB. I thought Puns didn't live up to
Their potential in 2016.
5.Kapolei. Ya,I know June Jones is a St. Louis admin, and Taulia Tagovailoa is gone to the mainland, but hear me out. The
line play could be better than it was last year.The big 6-7 290 OL transfer from Damien plus 6-2 280 Aaron Faumui from
Utah will be teaming up with Rocky Savea ,Dylan Naehu,and Kukea Emmsley to make a solid core to build around for
2017.Not sure where the offense will come from,but they will have road graders on offense and brick walls on defense
to hang around for a state playoff slot.
6.Farrington. The Governors best returnees are linemen. There are questions on offense, but I can't remember the last time
Farrington didn't finish in the top 10.
7.Waianae. The Seariders used to reload ... Not so much nowadays.Rosario on offense and Mauga on defense should be the
leaders.
8.Kamehameha.
9.Campbell.
10. Leilehua.
Last edited by unpaid on Wed May 24, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Way too early football top tens

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Love it!!!!

St Louis is the defending Champs, so until proven otherwise, the road to the 'ship still goes through the boys from the hill.

Can never count out my Big Red; lots of questions right now, but always has the talent to get that trophy.

Based on the amount of players receiving offers, looks like Kapolei could have a monster year, even better than last year.

Surprisingly, Trojans still have enough talent to make another run for another title.

Puns with Barber at the helm looks to be dangerous.

Campbell...I wouldn't be surprised if they win games against "higher" ranked teams. With DJ as coach, I think we'll see a much more physical and aggressive Sabers squad. If the underclassmen from last year are still playing this year, it will be a fun D to watch.

RRFL!!!!

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

Not questioning your rankings, just a couple questions on the dll side. Does Kapaa lose that much that they drop out the top ten. Also was Waipahu's blowout loss to Lahainaluna just a fluke. Sure seemed like they got handled and then some.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Bee-ai-boi,

Kapaa has to reload after last year's seniors graduated.Their best returning player,to me ,is Eli Unutoa OL 6-4 290. Could be a D-I college talent. After him, though,it seems that there are a lot of players who have been on the bench looking and learning from the Warriors who had that great 3 year run..now it's up to them to see if they can keep the recent success going onwards.
When I look at Kauai's squad,they should have 3 battle-tested vets returning in Jaykob Nakaahiki-Young RB,Christian Manera UTL,and RJ Garcia OL 240. I feel like Kauai might have the edge on Kapaa and Waimea this fall. We will see.

I don't think Lahainaluna's lopsided win over Waipahu was a fluke. The Lunas are still better on defense than the Marauders.A rematch this fall ,to me,would still be a Luna win. Lahainaluna has the better D and can do enough on O to win a championship. Waipahu is all offense and not enough defense to win a championship. Again,let's see how it plays out.

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

Unpaid

Thanks for the insight. Didn't know that Kapaa lost that much. They did have a good run there the past few years though. Agree with you on Waipahu. Thanks again for the info.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Appreciate the insights Unpaid!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

locogrown808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by locogrown808 »

quick correction on damiens roster. i believe justice white graduates and his younger brother, JT is going to be a senior DB

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

locogrown808,

You are right,Justice White graduates while brother JT is still at Damien. Thanks for the correction! I have updated the Damien capsule.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Konawaena's performance at the state track and field championships bodes well for upcoming football. Lot of speed returning.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

kauwildman,

It's spot on with your comment about track and field performance as it relates to football performance. I am a believer in different sports for 18 and under kids as opposed to concentrating on one sport before college. To me, if a high school football team has a large number of track and field placers and a large number of wrestling placers, you can probably expect good things from the gridiron team.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

kauwildman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:05 am Konawaena's performance at the state track and field championships bodes well for upcoming football. Lot of speed returning.
Can't sleep on KS Hawaii this year, they have lots of returnees on the OL and skilled positions. Their Defense will be their anchor again but their offense will be much better this year. This may be KS Hawaii's best chance to give Kona a run for the title as I see a drop off the next two or three years with talent and experience. They go to Kauai HS for a preseason game so that may give us some insight.

DI- Hilo will probably run the table again this year in the BIIF, they have a stud running back in Huddleston and a big experienced OL to run behind. Coach Drummondo always puts out a solid Defense and I'm curious to see what talent he developed on that side of the line.

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

Getreal$

If this upcoming seasons game between KSH and Konawaena is anything like last year's title game it should be a classic. I don't see the other two teams in the BIIF div.II competing for the title so KSH and Konawaena should match up twice against each other....Yay.. I know Konawaena returns Ewing at QB (I think the best QB on the island and the state in div.II), but who/what else do they have coming back. I know they had a pretty young defensive unit last year. I've heard rumors that Konawaena plays at Kapaa and home against St. Francis for the preseason...that should tell us a lot about the the team going into the regular season.
Do you see anybody challenging Hilo for the title this upcoming season? They have been pretty dominant the past few years. They put out a solid team every year. How does Kealekehe look this year? Will they rebound from what was a pretty poor year for their history/standards. Do they even have a close shot at dethroning Hilo for the div.I title. If not who do you see giving Hilo it's biggest challenge for the title.
Just a few questions....you always seem to have good info and insight when it comes to the BIIF football scene. Thanks and can't wait for the teams to pad up and play.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Bee-ai-boi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:36 pm Getreal$

If this upcoming seasons game between KSH and Konawaena is anything like last year's title game it should be a classic. I don't see the other two teams in the BIIF div.II competing for the title so KSH and Konawaena should match up twice against each other....Yay.. I know Konawaena returns Ewing at QB (I think the best QB on the island and the state in div.II), but who/what else do they have coming back. I know they had a pretty young defensive unit last year. I've heard rumors that Konawaena plays at Kapaa and home against St. Francis for the preseason...that should tell us a lot about the the team going into the regular season.
Do you see anybody challenging Hilo for the title this upcoming season? They have been pretty dominant the past few years. They put out a solid team every year. How does Kealekehe look this year? Will they rebound from what was a pretty poor year for their history/standards. Do they even have a close shot at dethroning Hilo for the div.I title. If not who do you see giving Hilo it's biggest challenge for the title.
Just a few questions....you always seem to have good info and insight when it comes to the BIIF football scene. Thanks and can't wait for the teams to pad up and play.
I'm more excited about this years matchup between KSH and Kona than last year. The advantage this year will again be Kona with a solid D and Ewing back for his third year, however, KSH has an equally good D and a bunch of returning backs that can eat up the clock and keep Ewing off the field with sustained drives. But thats if they keep it on the ground. More than likely they'll go to the spread and play right into Kona's strength. You give Ewing the ball enough, like last year, and you will lose or play catch-up football. As for Hilo, it will be hard pressed to dethrone them this year. Kealakehe has talent but that has never been their problem. I'm sure they'll get back to their championship form eventually, just not this coming season. To put it mildly Hilo is loaded with talent and they have a solid OL to complement probably the best RB on the island in Huddleston. Hilo, Kona, and KSH are the class of the BIIF and its worth the drive and admission whenever they play each other.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

I'll Go with my D1 perspective since I didn't watch enough D2 from last year.

1- ST LOUIS (Defending champs and #1 until knocked down. Defense is LOADED. Backup QB is ready to take the charge this year)
2- Kahuku (Always reloads, always has the talent, and transfers from the mainland to fill more on the roster)
3- Punahou (Only loses their core receivers, Oline is stacked with Barber at the helm, very young defense. A sleeper team in the ILH)
4- Kapolei (Coming off of a hot year, but losing their QB effects the scoring just a little bit. But has the potential this year)
5- Mililani (This is the year of the Trojans, they have the talent to make a comeback to the Open Division.)
6- Waianae (Not sure how much returnees they lost, but with Rosario in the backfield, they can be dangerous. Always a solid D)
7- Kamehameha (Always has the athletes, but for some reason can never figure it out. Another Sleeper team maybe?)
8- Farrington (Always has the size and runningbacks to do damage in the OIA, new field, new energy for the team. Cant wait to watch Kahuku at Farrington)
9- Campbell (New head coach, we'll see if the kids play well under him)
10- Hilo (From what I hear, they have a lot of returnees that should give them a good year this year.)

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Here's my pre season top 5
Div 1
1. Punahou - Loaded with talent. Return ALL 5 OL from last season. New skill guys (Wr, qb and rb) but Barber, Falatea, Arcenaux and Co. will be special. Defense has a handful of D1 talent.
2. Kahuku - Returning qb, punahou transfer at rb, 3/5 OL back (including the top OL in the state, Vimahi, only a JR.) Defense with Reed, Ah you, Kaniho, Emerson.....etc. Great squad
3. St. Louis - New qb, rb and OL. great skills in kekahuna, panoke, sykes, close. hope the new qb can get them the rock. Defense will be the top group in the state. Toilolo, Purcell, tuitele, tufaga
4. Mililani - Return 9 of 11 on offense, including qb, rb and all 5 OL. (agasiva, muasau and Williams top OL) Defense will be good with olomua, malepeai and pilanca returning
5. Kapolei - Stacked with talent, as usual. New qb from stl and new oc, still gonna air it out. Defense is loaded all 4 DL with big D1 offers, faumui DL from orem hs will be a beast

I'd put Kamehameha with any of these teams also.
It should be a great season!!!