What is next for High school football?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider

Re: What is next for High school football?

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Football is definitely back!
Can't wait to see some good matchups and who actually puts it all together.
In regards to transfers, another word on the street is there are baldwin players transferring to STL as well.
I've been hearing the same thing about Kahuku, a bunch of players are transferring from the mainland (probably Orem) to play this year.
That Kefu kid is no longer on the team as well, after getting into trouble outside of school from what I heard. Hope he turns it around.
Nawahine is returning for his Senior year to Kahuku, hopefully he gets playing time unlike the other Punahou transfers who go back to Kahuku.
I think Kaumatule will do great things out there in Vegas if he's healthy.
Kapolei should be pretty damn good again this year, they have the guys every year to do it.

tinkersocial
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by tinkersocial »

It is purely the OIA and their outdated, prehistoric ways of thinking and leadership.
A new breed of leadership needs to be in place to encourage leadership that encourages collaboration, creativity, and outside the box thinking.

As a current coach and educator in the DOE system, I cannot fathom why people tend to ignore the lack of sound leadership decisions to deliver SOLUTIONS
to problems.

The lack of OIA refs is a prime example. The amount of red tape and lack of a leadership plan to market and increase the SUPPLY of Refs to meet the DEMAND of Refs needed to play ALL games on Friday and Saturday is beyond me. And yes...as a former High School Football Coach these games must be played on Friday and Saturday for safety reasons. Football requires proper preparation, training, and recover time at the High School level.

Once again, I challenge Hawaii DOE leadership (principals) to infuse new, young innovative leadership thinkers and problem solvers to solve these issues with better collaboration, creativity, and innovation (thinking outside the box to figure what's best for our student-athletes)!!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Hello Hawaii DOE? anyone in there listening? Are you just waiting to see if the OIA football season doesn't go downhill fast? (Of course,I am not expecting any reaction.)Guess we can look forward to Tuesday games in 2018.

What will become of the Open Division?I think it will be just fine. Let's say Kahuku,Mililani,Kapolei,and Farrington are the quarterfinalists this fall.The Open Division will be there as an option. The HHSAA won't say no to the top four OIA teams playing in the Open. If say,Kapolei Principal and football coach say we are playing Open instead of D-I for states,what can the OIA do about it? Firing is not an option,the principal and coach serve at the pleasure of the DOE,not the OIA. The DOE is responsible for the buses and drivers and fuel too, so I don't think the OIA could mess with that. Really about the only thing the OIA could do to mess with any league member who dares to go for the Open Division Football championship is to make sure that school has plenty of midweek games on the 2018 schedule.
Fuel

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Let's review now that the dust has settled on the big offseason topics.

St. Louis might go independent. We are still in wait and see mode on this.

Referee numbers. The OIA was serious about having football teams play on Wednesday and Thursday because there weren't enough referees to go around.After about three weeks of backlash and criticism from the press,online forums posters like us,and mostly from parents I would guess,the OIA suddenly found enough football officials to return to Friday-Saturday schedules this year. At least when they made a bad decision,the OIA found a way to make it right when reasonable objections were raised.

Open Division remains as the three-tier playoff system is saved. Just when you think there might be hope for the OIA when they get enough refs, then they try to shut down the Open Dision by saying their large schools will only declare for D-I in states. However, for the second time in less than a month there is backlash aplenty, and when the HHSAA offers a compromise to keep the Open Division, D-I,and D-II championships, The OIA takes it and the three tiers are saved although there will be fewer teams participating from now on.

If Iolani drops down to D-II, Can Damien and St.Francis declare for D-I states? I don't think the ILH has come out with their declarations yet,but it seems that the Monarchs and Saints want to have a chance to go to states in D-I. Iolani will most likely reaffirm a stranglehold on ILH D-II. The way the playoffs have been cut back, whichever of Damien or St. Francis gets into D-I playoffs, there will be no OIA teams to face. They will have to get through the BIIF, MIL, and KIF opponents.

Pretty much a mixed bag of results,but compromises have to be made sometimes.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

After all of this, I still haven't read a definitive report on exactly what the OIA's beef with everything is/was -- unless I missed it. I've read only reporter's and fan's best guesses/assumptions. It seems clear that the proportion of OIA and ILH teams(compared to the size of their respective leagues) that made the Open tourney was one big reason, but I'm sure there were others.

The thing I want to know the most is why the OIA left the D1 state tourney without representation. I could guess but I want to hear it from the OIA.

I'm also not clear on who exactly gets to determine which ILH team plays in which division. Do the individual schools get to decide entirely on their own or is it the league, with input from each school I'm sure, that ultimately decides?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Wow. Cal Lee says there are 300 kids in the St. Louis football program in intermediate,JV, and Varsity combined! Something isn't right.Might be legal,but that number is insane,especially in view of the fact that a lot of those kids will get little or no playing time considering the competition on the Crusader squad.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Atuaia and Lavea transferring back to kahuku from Orem HS instantly makes kahuku the top Defense, if they weren't already. Getting 2 D1 prospects back is a great boost for any team, but a squad with already 10 or 11 D1 prospects.......can't wait to see kahuku in action. With Faumui transferring to Kapolei from Orem HS, I'm thinking that Orem must've been a pretty good team last season. Reading the hawaiiprepworld season previews, Stl returning only 2 starters on offense, looks like this could be punahou's year. ILH should be a battle. Anyways, it's almost time!!! Let the season begin!!!

Aitorahi
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

I have heard from a few different people that Tausili Fiatoa is back at Kahuku too. He was at Orem for the past couple of years and has some D1 offers. I believe he is already committed to BYU. If it is true that he is back, it would make 8 Kahuku defensive players with D1 offers:

Samson Reed - DE
Sedric Iafeta - DE/DL
Tausili Fiatoa - DE
Siaosi Lauhingoa - DL
Miki Ah You - LB
JL Lavea - LB
Nalu Emerson - DB/LB
Kaonohi Kaniho - DB

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

Aitorahi wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 pm I have heard from a few different people that Tausili Fiatoa is back at Kahuku too. He was at Orem for the past couple of years and has some D1 offers. I believe he is already committed to BYU. If it is true that he is back, it would make 8 Kahuku defensive players with D1 offers:

Samson Reed - DE
Sedric Iafeta - DE/DL
Tausili Fiatoa - DE
Siaosi Lauhingoa - DL
Miki Ah You - LB
JL Lavea - LB
Nalu Emerson - DB/LB
Kaonohi Kaniho - DB
I doubt it that he's back but if he did which I hope then kahuku would be by far have the best defense. He didn't play varsity ball and yet he's a 4 star player

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

That would be huge if Fiatoa transfers back. Yes, they would be the top D in the state by far. 8 of 11 with D1 offers, that's crazy!!!
Also, word on the street is Dylan Toilolo leaving stl, going to Kapolei. not too sure the reason, but this would be a giant loss for stl and I doubt they would be the favorites to win the ilh. Even with toilolo, I personally don't think they are the favorites.....with only 2 returning starters on offense. punahou looks the best on paper in the ilh

Aitorahi
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

Scoringlive has an article confirming Toilolo's transfer to Kapolei. The Hurricanes should be tough. Also heard today from a friend of a coach that Fiatoa is in fact at Kahuku. Can't wait for the season.