What is next for High school football?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

What is next for High school football?

Post by unpaid »

Lee and Jones have considered leaving the ILH and going independent?

They may not do it this year, but if there isn't an OIA-ILH Open conference by 2018,I think St.Louis will go independent. I have said this for years...a three team league does not make sense on Oahu.It's a struggle to schedule a decent number of opponents and still they have to play 5 of their games against Punahou and Kamehameha.If the OIA doesn't get on board soon,St.Louis will leave Punahou and Kamehameha in an even worse situation, just to save their football programs future.

The OIA may allow schools to declare what division they will play in?

That would be a big change,but maybe a necessary one.The win-loss power formula they have been using usually means the D-II teams that get promoted get knocked around once in D-I.

Can Damien and St.Francis declare for D-II in regular season and D-I for states?

It sounds like they can from what I read in the press. Look has already said Iolani is in D-II for both regular season and states this fall.As of today, I have no reason to think Iolani won't begin piling up more D-II state titles.Damien and St.Francis and Pac-Five all should Declare for D-II in regular season and D-I for states.Iolani already has committed to the D-II tournament which would leave the ILH out of the D-I state tourney. There is no reason for those three ILH teams to get left out of post-season competition just because Iolani drops down again.

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: What is next for High school football?

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

What's your take on Iolani declaring for the DII state tournament. IMHO Iolani has no business in the DII state tournament. I am fine with them playing the regular season in DII. However, come tourney time I believe they belong in the DI state tournament. I feel they proved it last year in the DI tournament. Can you imagine if a team like Kahukui moved down a division because they lost size and/or talent. They would get crucified and ridiculed beyond belief. Same goes for the top ILH schools. I don't think Iolani belongs in the same division with Punahou and St.Louis, but I do believe they are really close to competing with Kamehameha. They don't belong in the DII tourney. They belong in the DI tourney. Kind of says a lot when Damien and St.Francis want to play in the DI tournament when they heard Iolani was declaring for the DII tournament.
Was also wondering...Damien won the last two ILH DII titles. Are they going to be required to move up like Iolani was?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Bee-ai-boi wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 am What's your take on Iolani declaring for the DII state tournament. IMHO Iolani has no business in the DII state tournament. I am fine with them playing the regular season in DII. However, come tourney time I believe they belong in the DI state tournament. I feel they proved it last year in the DI tournament. Can you imagine if a team like Kahukui moved down a division because they lost size and/or talent. They would get crucified and ridiculed beyond belief. Same goes for the top ILH schools. I don't think Iolani belongs in the same division with Punahou and St.Louis, but I do believe they are really close to competing with Kamehameha. They don't belong in the DII tourney. They belong in the DI tourney. Kind of says a lot when Damien and St.Francis want to play in the DI tournament when they heard Iolani was declaring for the DII tournament.
Was also wondering...Damien won the last two ILH DII titles. Are they going to be required to move up like Iolani was?
Amen. Amen. Amen. I was just going to suggest to true D2 teams to boycott the state tournament if Iolani is a part of it. It'd be like if Kamehameha were part of it, or if we were part of it in 2000 (remember, we were a WORSE position in the late 90s/early 2000s than Kamehameha is in now. This was when Ane took over). Iolani's got a good chance to take the whole thing in D1 with their talent. Why sell your players short to feed your coach's ego? If Iolani is a true D2 team, Donald Trump is the greatest president in the history of the United States.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Bee-ai-boi,

I think Iolani could have declared for D-II for ILH regular season and declared for D-I states.I think that would have been the best situation for them competitively speaking. If the OIA allows their schools to declare for regular season and tournament classifications,then the D-I field could be ripe for the picking come state playoff time. Mililani got relegated to D-I states on record last year, but if the OIA allows teams to declare ,I think Mililani will declare Open for states. I think Campbell and Leilehua and Farrington as well as Kahuku,Kapolei,Waianae will too....If they get the chance.
Who would Iolani have to face in that scenario in D-I states this fall? .....Moanalua,Castle,Aiea? More likely the Raiders would have had a better shot in D-I states this year than last.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

I don't think anybody's declarations for state tourney divisions are binding yet, are they? Various schools are just saying out loud which division they're leaning towards at this point in time. In the case of Damien and St. Francis, I think they're both letting it be known that they're going to declare for whichever division Iolani doesn't declare for, which is a great plan. No sense in leaving the D1 tourney without ILH representation, and if Iolani doesn't have the sack to step up, then someone else will.

I'd guess the Iolani football team -- mind you, I'm talking about the kids and not necessarily the administration or coaching staff -- would be ashamed if they're left with just Pac-5 as the only self-proclaimed D2-level schools in the ILH. And the deeper either Damien or St. Francis goes in the D1 state tourney the deeper the shame for Iolani, D2 state title or not.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

bandits1 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:03 pm I don't think anybody's declarations for state tourney divisions are binding yet, are they? Various schools are just saying out loud which division they're leaning towards at this point in time. In the case of Damien and St. Francis, I think they're both letting it be known that they're going to declare for whichever division Iolani doesn't declare for, which is a great plan. No sense in leaving the D1 tourney without ILH representation, and if Iolani doesn't have the sack to step up, then someone else will.

I'd guess the Iolani football team -- mind you, I'm talking about the kids and not necessarily the administration or coaching staff -- would be ashamed if they're left with just Pac-5 as the only self-proclaimed D2-level schools in the ILH. And the deeper either Damien or St. Francis goes in the D1 state tourney the deeper the shame for Iolani, D2 state title or not.
I hope like hell that Coach Look's narcissism ain't infecting his players. Iolani does not need more elitists to give the GOOD, humble people there a horrific reputation.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

What are your thoughts on St. Louis possibly going independent in the the future?

I think Cal Lee and June Jones are putting it out there to see if the OIA would merge in football for an Open Division in reaction.If not ,then I do think they will take the Crusaders out of the ILH. Coach Lee,in particular ,seems to be frustrated by playing the same two teams five times a year. He doesn't like not being consulted about league schedules,especially after having to drop the Serra game this fall due to an ILH conflict. They only have been playing around 2 Interleague games 5games against Pun-Kamehameha after Iolani goes D-II and 2 state playoff games. That's less that almost any mainland team plays in regular season alone never mind states. It's less than the number of games OIA D-I teams play,too.

So, the Crusaders go Indy.can they improve their schedule? They probably continue to get 2 matches from OIA teams early. St. Louis will play Punahou and Kamehameha just once each year for old times sake....that's 4. They tried to schedule three interstate games but could only make 2 happen....total is at six which doesn't leave them any better off than they are nowadays. They will need 3-4 more games that will have to come from those mainland opponents that Jones and Lee are alluding to. Can they meet the travel costs year in and year out? I have to respect that June Jones thinks it can be done. It will be interesting to see how he does it.

What would be left for Kamehameha and Punahou at that point? 2 interleague games,2-3 interstate games ,and then 3 games against each other for the ILH D-I title.7games plus 2 more in states since Punahou and Kamehameha would be the only two teams left in ILH D-I to fill the 2 Open Division slots the ILH gets.

Also,St.Louis would probably want to continue playing in the Open Division state tournament similar to what Bishop Gorman does in Nevada. Gorman is still in a league however. They just fill out their schedule with other powerful teams from across the country. If St.Louis leaves the ILH,as in really leaves...cuts all ties then they aren't in a league any more,right? Would the HHSAA allow them into the Open Div playoffs when there are no slots for independent schools?

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

unpaid wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:33 amAlso,St.Louis would probably want to continue playing in the Open Division state tournament similar to what Bishop Gorman does in Nevada. Gorman is still in a league however. They just fill out their schedule with other powerful teams from across the country. If St.Louis leaves the ILH,as in really leaves...cuts all ties then they aren't in a league any more,right? Would the HHSAA allow them into the Open Div playoffs when there are no slots for independent schools?
This last part had me wondering, too. If St. Louis goes independent then I'd assume they'd be out of the Open tourney because, being the only independent, it wouldn't be fair to give them automatic entry into a HHSAA-sanctioned event. Allowing the Crusaders to participate would mean that St. Louis, Punahou, Kam and probably one other ILH school would have automatic entries into the state tourney regardless of W/L record, which would be ridiculous, even from the private school's point of view.

I'd hope that this is the push the OIA needs to agree to merge leagues, in order to keep things as simple and as "fair" as possible. But the bottom line is all of this is almost entirely an ILH problem, so I can see the OIA still refusing to give in. If I were the OIA, I'd use this potentially messy ILH situation as leverage to force them to comply with rules, regulations and limitations that would come with a merge, ones that maybe the private schools weren't amenable to previously.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

bandits1,

I am thinking that the OIA is going to just let whatever happens happen in regards to St.Louis mAybe going independent. It is an ILH concern. To an OIA admin or coach who has concerns about ILH recruiting,nothing would change the fact that St.Louis is a private school that has no district boundaries.ILH member or independent,St.Louis still can draw players from anywhere in the islands or the world ,when you come right down to it.

Look at the way the OIA and ILH handled last year's superconference proposal. It seemed from press accounts that the ILH people got together and made a proposal. Then the ILH sent the final draft over to the OIA people who looked it over and voted it down.It did not seem to be a situation where both sides were at the same table in a meeting room actually talking it over.... It seemed more like two sides apart sending proposals back and forth by courier,and the ILH and OIA people were never ever in the same room.I think that until the OIA shows a willingness to negotiate a merger by actually sitting down with the ILH people,there will not be even the possibility of a merger.

I agree that that there is an opportunity for the OIA in a merger with the ILH, but the way the issue was handled last year makes me think they aren't even interested in bringing it up.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

It looks like the OIA is looking at games Wednesday thru Saturday to spread a declining number of people wanting to officiate over an increasing number of schools playing football...or any other sport for that matter.

I think we know what the societal trends have been that are leading to fewer people wanting to officiate games being played from T-ball first and second graders all the way to nearly adult teenage football players. The OIA will not sanction games that aren't officiated.

Has anyone ever seen people in the stands at a high school game,much less a little league baseball game, physically confront a game official over a call they made? You probably have....or have seen internet videos of these kinds of incidents.

It's no wonder that people aren't flocking to line up for the abuse that comes their way in 2017 if they want to be a ref in children's athletics.

I don't know how things will turn out eventually, but two things are obvious to me. People aren't exactly volunteering their time to officiate athletic matches anymore. The OIA ,to name just one high school athletic league, will only sanction athletic competition among it's member schools as long as it can have officials to cover the games.If the current trends continue,school sports will be killed off because no one in their right mind will want to be a referee anymore.

I really hope some umps ,refs,line judges...you name it weigh in cause you have taken some abuse in football,wrestling. Etc threads in this high school forum.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I think Jones and Lee just blowing a lot of smoke and steam. Even though St Louis is a private school, it's not feasible for them to go "Independent". If they were on the continent, then it's a different story.

I say break up O'ahu into 2 Divisions (D1 and D2) comprised of 4 subdivisions each; combining Public and Private schools. Top 2 teams from each subdivision goes on to play the rest of the state for the D1 and D2 championships.

RRFL!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I don't know what the OIA pays it's refs for any sport but I wouldn't doubt that it's only peanuts. The refs are there for the love of the game and wanting to give back to the kids and the community. Not enough people anymore who want to do it and get abused by the fans. Unfortunately, the loud mouths and ne'er do wells won't ever volunteer to be refs.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

YES!!! HS Football is almost in full swing again, and this season should be a good one. Now, who got any info on the big T??..........Transfers!!! LOL
I know Rosario, RB from Waianae, will be staying home and not moving to Liberty HS in Las Vegas.
Kaumatule (DE Pun) At Bishop Gorman HS
Nawahine (RB Pun) At Kahuku HS
Kalaola (QB Stl) At Kapolei HS
Buelow (OL Damien) At Kapolei HS
Faumui (OL/DL Orem UT) At Kapolei HS
Anyone else?? Kapolei looking stacked!! I've been hearing that Punahou got an RB transfer from the state of Missouri, haven't been able to confirm that though. maybe that's the reason Nawahine left??
Also heard that St. Louis and Punahou got some transfers from St. Francis and Damien, they have to sit out this season. stocking up for the future maybe. hahaha

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

Dog 96707 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:11 pm YES!!! HS Football is almost in full swing again, and this season should be a good one. Now, who got any info on the big T??..........Transfers!!! LOL
I know Rosario, RB from Waianae, will be staying home and not moving to Liberty HS in Las Vegas.
Anyone else?? Kapolei looking stacked!! I've been hearing that Punahou got an RB transfer from the state of Missouri, haven't been able to confirm that though. maybe that's the reason Nawahine left??
Also heard that St. Louis and Punahou got some transfers from St. Francis and Damien, they have to sit out this season. stocking up for the future maybe. hahaha

A batch of kahuku players has transfered back from Orem. I'm thinking that's the reason why faumui left
Last edited by harus0ra on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

harus0ra wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:19 pm
Dog 96707 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:11 pm YES!!! HS Football is almost in full swing again, and this season should be a good one. Now, who got any info on the big T??..........Transfers!!! LOL

A batch of Kahuku players has transfered back from orem. I'm think that's the reason why faumui left.
I'm not for sure but I think JP kefu is not with Kahuku