Iolani playing D2 again

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Iolani playing D2 again

Post by gopunahou »

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... -football/

I haven't got a problem with them playing ILH D2 teams in the regular season, though I'll miss playing them. But if you disagree with this following, quote, there is something wrong with you:
But Look said that if ‘Iolani plays a D-II schedule, then he believes they should be classified in D-II for state tournament purposes.

“For those people who think we should play in D-I, they’re not in my shoes,” Look said. “Tell them to come stand in my shoes.
That's another way of saying we want a guaranteed championship. Why does Iolani feel it can't compete with teams like Leilehua, Kailua, Hilo, and Baldwin? They made it to the championship game last year in D1. They'll possess the talent to win it all in D1 next year. Why sell your players short? This makes it sound that if there were four divisions in Hawaii, Iolani would opt to play in the lowest tier. If there were five divisions in Hawaii, Iolani would play in the lowest tier. How can you respect that? In no way shape or fame does Iolani belong in the lowest tier of divisions in football. Do I think Iolani belongs in the tier with Kahuku, St. Louis, Kamehameha, Mililani, and us? HELL NO. But does the middle tier with teams such as Leilehua, Kailua, Hilo, and Baldwin suit them best? Absolutely. Even Paul Honda agrees with this. The only person aware of Iolani football that thinks they belong in the lowest tier of teams is Coach Look. If I were a D2 team, I'd boycott the tournament if Iolani is assigned to go there. And who'll represent the ILH in D1?

My solution as to determining the ILH berths in the state tournament: if Iolani wins the ILH D2 playoff tournament, FORCE THEM to play in D1 and REQUIRE THEM to play in only that state tournament. Make it a requirement that that's the only state tournament Iolani can participate in. If somebody else besides Iolani wins the ILH D2 tournament, let them decide if they wish to play in the D1 state tournament or D2 state tournament. We all know the Open Division is the only state tournament St. Louis, Kamehameha, and Punahou can play in. Why not let the same rules apply to Iolani and have the D1 state tournament be the only one they can play in. The only teams that should have choices as to the state tournament they wish to play in are Damien, Pac-Five, and St. Francis. Go ahead and avoid St. Louis, Kamehameha, and Punahou, but don't deny the truth.

I know some good, humble people at Iolani and honestly feel bad for them since many elitists at Iolani give the school a HORRIFIC reputation. Coach Look is not helping his school and team's reputation and only adds to the perception that Iolani is full of elitists and narcissists that think their doodoo don't stink (Big Dog anyone?).

Coach Look is a disgrace and embarrassment to Iolani and a narcissist who ALWAYS plays the damn victim. I can guarantee that he thought it was "punishment" to have his team play in the D1 state tournament. Any time he can't have an advantage he whines like a damn baby! The guy probably thinks his team is on the same tier as teams with 25 players. He probably thinks his team is on a lower tier of teams than Campbell, a team Iolani CLOBBERED last year. He's trying to find any way he can to have guaranteed wins and championships. He may know football, but knows narcissism, excuses, and playing the victim much better. I feel for his players. Does ANY other coach play the victim more than he? I wouldn't put it past him to be a Trump supporter. I sure as hell hope his narcissism and victim mentality ain't infecting his players. They won't go far in life with those attitudes.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Iolani playing D2 again

Post by My3Cats »

Hey gopunahou, please tell us what you REALLY think!

:lol:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

I agree that Iolani should definitely participate as a D1 team in the state tourney. I understand playing in D2 during the regular season, for health reasons mostly, since the ILH only has two divisions, but playing in the D2 state tourney is ridiculous. You play at the level you're competitive in, not necessarily the one you dominate and certainly not the one you're almost guaranteed a state championship or at least a state championship appearance in. Playing below your level can't possibly bring any amount of pride to the students or the school.

Must be nice, every couple of seasons, to be able to choose which division you are most likely to dominate. Yes, winning titles should be the ultimate goal of every sports program, but you don't want the deck stacked in your favor. You want to earn that trophy.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

bandits1 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:15 pm I agree that Iolani should definitely participate as a D1 team in the state tourney. I understand playing in D2 during the regular season, for health reasons mostly, since the ILH only has two divisions, but playing in the D2 state tourney is ridiculous. You play at the level you're competitive in, not necessarily the one you dominate and certainly not the one you're almost guaranteed a state championship or at least a state championship appearance in. Playing below your level can't possibly bring any amount of pride to the students or the school.

Must be nice, every couple of seasons, to be able to choose which division you are most likely to dominate. Yes, winning titles should be the ultimate goal of every sports program, but you don't want the deck stacked in your favor. You want to earn that trophy.
So true. The fact is, Coach Look is trying to find the easiest, most fool-proof path to a title to satisfy his ego. Is he afraid that a non-championship season will shatter it?

The HHSAA FINALLY created a division that Iolani can play in and not bother people with their presence. And what does Coach Look tell them and fellow Iolani graduate Chris Chun--"Kefe that! We wanna play in the weakest division possible because having us play in the middle tier is punishing us!"
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

In some sports they call that sandbagging.

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

I would love to hear Big Dog/Infidel/Auffrey79/STL79's take on this! Oh wait! I forgot he's got Donald Trump's wang in his mouth and can't talk! That's the only time he can ever get laid!

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Division, shmivision.

"Division" does not matter to Iolani.

I can personally attest to that.

Every Iolani "Football State Champions" t-shirt I have ever seen never mentions division.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

twnoexcuses wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm Division, shmivision.

"Division" does not matter to Iolani.

I can personally attest to that.

Every Iolani "Football State Champions" t-shirt I have ever seen never mentions division.
That ought to tell you that Coach Look is seeking the easiest path to a championship any way he can.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Its funny to hear the excuses after Look has been coaching there for a long time. Like he was incapable of transitioning the program after 30 years. hahahaha - Too much :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Everyone must've known already that the OIA would pull this stunt. It's gotta be the only reason Iolani went back to D2

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

So if the OIA only declares for D1 and D2, and St Louis, Kamehameha and Punahou declare for D1, and the Neighbor Island schools declare for Open and D2, then would Iolani declare for Open? Boggles the mind.

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

Was just wondering....if my memory is correct, I don't think Iolani has ever had to go on the road or travel to a neighbor island in any of their div.ll tournament games. If so, how does that happen? Was there not any year a Kauai or Lahainaluna team was ranked above them. I also can't remember them playing a preseason game off island either. I might be wrong.... but just looked at their schedule and those thoughts popped up. Does anybody remember/know different. If so I stand corrected. If not...that kind of seems like B.S. to me about having homefield for the tournament all the time.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Bee-ai-boi wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:46 pm Was just wondering....if my memory is correct, I don't think Iolani has ever had to go on the road or travel to a neighbor island in any of their div.ll tournament games. If so, how does that happen? Was there not any year a Kauai or Lahainaluna team was ranked above them. I also can't remember them playing a preseason game off island either. I might be wrong.... but just looked at their schedule and those thoughts popped up. Does anybody remember/know different. If so I stand corrected. If not...that kind of seems like B.S. to me about having homefield for the tournament all the time.
They did in '06. They played King Kekaulike on Maui and lost by 1.

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

Gopunahou.

Thanks for the info...I stand corrected. Do you think Iolani will dominate the d.ll state tournament this year? Just a thought...Damien wins the ILH the past two years, they don't get a first round bye and have to travel both years. They go to Kona two years ago in the first round. Last year they go to Kauai for the second round. Just saying...I get it that seeding is different every year bit it's JMHO that Iolani gets a sweet draw every year. I wonder if they will even feel a little ashamed if they stay in D.ll with only PAC-5 for the state tournament bid. Just to be clear, I don't have anything against the players or school...I just disagree with whoever the makes the decision to what division they play in. They need to grow a pair.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Bee-ai-boi wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:23 am Gopunahou.

Thanks for the info...I stand corrected. Do you think Iolani will dominate the d.ll state tournament this year? Just a thought...Damien wins the ILH the past two years, they don't get a first round bye and have to travel both years. They go to Kona two years ago in the first round. Last year they go to Kauai for the second round. Just saying...I get it that seeding is different every year bit it's JMHO that Iolani gets a sweet draw every year. I wonder if they will even feel a little ashamed if they stay in D.ll with only PAC-5 for the state tournament bid. Just to be clear, I don't have anything against the players or school...I just disagree with whoever the makes the decision to what division they play in. They need to grow a pair.
If Iolani plays a team like Kaiser 2013 they won't win. One thing that'll hurt their chances is not playing the Big Three (even though they lost badly to one of them), which always helped them prepare for much weaker teams.

My only concern is whether Look's narcissism and victim mentality is infecting his players or isn't. I don't know the man but he hasn't proven that he ISN'T a narcissist. If he isn't pulling the strings, whoever is is obviously a narcissist. I hope his scumbaggery ain't infecting the players and coaching staff. I also hope the players are nothing like one of their biggest supporters--i.e. STL79/auffrey/Big Dog/Infidel/DonaldTrumpLover.