Iolani playing D2 again

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Iolani playing D2 again

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:03 pm
Bee-ai-boi wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:23 am Gopunahou.

Thanks for the info...I stand corrected. Do you think Iolani will dominate the d.ll state tournament this year? Just a thought...Damien wins the ILH the past two years, they don't get a first round bye and have to travel both years. They go to Kona two years ago in the first round. Last year they go to Kauai for the second round. Just saying...I get it that seeding is different every year bit it's JMHO that Iolani gets a sweet draw every year. I wonder if they will even feel a little ashamed if they stay in D.ll with only PAC-5 for the state tournament bid. Just to be clear, I don't have anything against the players or school...I just disagree with whoever the makes the decision to what division they play in. They need to grow a pair.
If Iolani plays a team like Kaiser 2013 they won't win. One thing that'll hurt their chances is not playing the Big Three (even though they lost badly to one of them), which always helped them prepare for much weaker teams.

My only concern is whether Look's narcissism and victim mentality is infecting his players or isn't. I don't know the man but he hasn't proven that he ISN'T a narcissist. If he isn't pulling the strings, whoever is is obviously a narcissist. I hope his scumbaggery ain't infecting the players and coaching staff. I also hope the players are nothing like one of their biggest supporters--i.e. STL79/auffrey/Big Dog/Infidel/DonaldTrumpLover.
@gopunahou: This is another old thread, but like the other old thread that I just posted on, I found the title interesting, so I thought I'd take a look. It's amazing that Iolani School is featured every year in this context. Of course, it's now September, so I'm speaking with the benefit of hindsight. I don't particularly like Iolani School at all, but really, we now know that they have the smallest O-line and D-line they've had in many years. Hilo whipped them, probably because Iolani's D-line was overpowered by Hilo's O-line and run game. That's despite the fact that Iolani has an outstanding QB in Mizutani. What I can't figure out is how Kaimuki lost to them. I thought Kaimuki was better this year than that. I mean, you would think that Iolani's small O-line would have had a harder time protecting Mizutani from Kaimuki's defensive front-seven. I guess not. And, Kaimuki had looked promising until then. Also, Damien has beaten Iolani. Damien alumni must be stoked. Iolani has been Damien's nemesis for years, and this year Damien finally beats them. So, already Hilo and Damien have made Iolani eat humble pie. Suddenly I don't resent Iolani as much.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

There was a website, maybe Maxpreps, that named Iolani the most successful highschool football program in the state due to the amount of championships they won. LOL

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 pm There was a website, maybe Maxpreps, that named Iolani the most successful highschool football program in the state due to the amount of championships they won. LOL
@genks: And of course, the lame thing about that is that Iolani football was in D2 for most of those years. I mean, dominating D2 is one thing, but the fact remains that it isn't D1. Even as we speak, St Francis RB Aina-Chaves has 215 rushing yards against Iolani, with about two minutes remaining in the game. Since when has a high-school RB gotten 210+ yards rushing in one game? Iolani's D-line this year is simply too small to stop the run. I mean, it is what it is. If you're a run-oriented team with a decent-sized O-line and a decent RB, you're going to beat Iolani. Even given the fact that Iolani QB Mizutani throws the ball quite well, you can simply run the ball to maintain the lead, and win in a scoring shoot-out.

Game just ended. St Francis wins, 43-26.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Yeah tyey mentioned Iolani's championships but left out the division part.

Dang 215 yards!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Speaking of size difference, I saw the 4th quarter of the St Francis vs PAC 5 game up close because it was before the STL vs Kam game. WOW the PAC 5 kids are so small.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:41 pm Speaking of size difference, I saw the 4th quarter of the St Francis vs PAC 5 game up close because it was before the STL vs Kam game. WOW the PAC 5 kids are so small.
@genks: Yeah, Pac-Five is another program that has fallen from a former halcyon period. They're kind of like the Kaiser of the mid-'80s. Just as Kaiser was kicking almost everyone's butts in the late-'70s, Pac-Five was kicking almost everyone's butts in the mid-'80s. And, just as Kaiser could have beaten St Louis in the late-'70s, Pac-Five did beat St Louis, in '82 and '85, I believe. (Both Pac-Five and St Louis are in the ILH, of course. And, back in the '80s, all teams were in the same division.) But today, at least Pac-Five is still playing. Kaiser has had to forfeit some three games already, due to lack of players. They forfeited just today to Aiea. I don't know what in the world Kaiser is doing in D1; they clearly don't belong there. They should be in D2. Kaiser has no business playing teams like Campbell, and I think we all remember what the score from that game was. Campbell was racking-up points as if they were playing some kind of video game.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I didn't know PAC 5 had a dominant period. Weird how times change. I figured no one but Kahuku can be good at all sports, and Maryknoll and Iolani is good at bball. STL not that good at Bball. Sort of balances out I guess.

I feel bad for Kaiser. That's a shitty situation for the kids that want to play. When they can put a team together they are at much higher risk of injury.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 pm I didn't know PAC 5 had a dominant period. Weird how times change. I figured no one but Kahuku can be good at all sports, and Maryknoll and Iolani is good at bball. STL not that good at Bball. Sort of balances out I guess.

I feel bad for Kaiser. That's a shitty situation for the kids that want to play. When they can put a team together they are at much higher risk of injury.
@genks: And you had mentioned that the Pac-Five players you saw were small. Back in the mid-'80s, Pac-Five had some huge linemen. Incidentally, Kahuku actually isn't good in all sports. For example, their baseball team sucks, and they seem to suck every year. And, actually, St Louis is pretty good in basketball (unfortunately). They may not be the best, but they definitely don't suck.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Come to think of it, I've never heard anything of Kahuku baseball. I don't actually follow baseball, but I don't remember seeing any articles or anything. Usually bball, of course football, and volleyball.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 pm
genks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 pm I didn't know PAC 5 had a dominant period. Weird how times change. I figured no one but Kahuku can be good at all sports, and Maryknoll and Iolani is good at bball. STL not that good at Bball. Sort of balances out I guess.

@genks: And you had mentioned that the Pac-Five players you saw were small. Back in the mid-'80s, Pac-Five had some huge linemen. Incidentally, Kahuku actually isn't good in all sports. For example, their baseball team sucks, and they seem to suck every year. And, actually, St Louis is pretty good in basketball (unfortunately). They may not be the best, but they definitely don't suck.
Pac-Five was at its best when we were at our worst, especially 1983. Our 2013 would make the 1983 edition look like a Pop Warner team and score over 75 points.

But I also wonder if this year's Iolani team would beat any of our teams between 1983 and 1987. I do know that this Iolani team can't run the ball or stop opponents. Did graduation really hurt them that bad?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Gopunahou you did mention that playing against STL, Punahou and Kam, while usually one sided, helps Iolani prepare them for "easier" teams. I completely agree.

I guess graduation really did leave them with no depth. They did much better last year. Similar to Waialua. They losing by an average of 50-60 points. But just last year they won the OIA d2 title

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 pm Gopunahou you did mention that playing against STL, Punahou and Kam, while usually one sided, helps Iolani prepare them for "easier" teams. I completely agree.

I guess graduation really did leave them with no depth. They did much better last year. Similar to Waialua. They losing by an average of 50-60 points. But just last year they won the OIA d2 title
It certainly helped them between 2007-2012. I wonder if interest is down over there, though. Iolani hasn't had a team this bad since 1995. Chances are, if they played Kamehameha, which looks to be the weakest of the Big Three, they'd lose 76-7. They possess talent, just not at running back, defense, or any of the lines. I think a lot of their defensive players are converted offensive ones.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:51 pm Come to think of it, I've never heard anything of Kahuku baseball. I don't actually follow baseball, but I don't remember seeing any articles or anything. Usually bball, of course football, and volleyball.
@genks: Well, there's a good reason why you've never heard anything of Kahuku baseball. It's not one of the school's strong suits.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:01 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Pac-Five was at its best when we were at our worst, especially 1983. Our 2013 would make the 1983 edition look like a Pop Warner team and score over 75 points.

But I also wonder if this year's Iolani team would beat any of our teams between 1983 and 1987. I do know that this Iolani team can't run the ball or stop opponents. Did graduation really hurt them that bad?
@gopunahou: I'm assuming that nearly all of Iolani's largest linemen graduated, because the Iolani football team's most glaring problem this year is lack of size on the line, both O and D.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

@ HS Football Fanatic, it might not be just graduation that gutted the roster. Some underclassmen who played last year (and contributed) aren't playing this year.