Iolani playing D2 again

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Iolani playing D2 again

Post by Neighbor »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 pm
genks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:51 pm Come to think of it, I've never heard anything of Kahuku baseball. I don't actually follow baseball, but I don't remember seeing any articles or anything. Usually bball, of course football, and volleyball.
@genks: Well, there's a good reason why you've never heard anything of Kahuku baseball. It's not one of the school's strong suits.
Also because other than football and basketball, they're playing rugby during the other sports seasons.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:01 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 pm
genks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 pm I didn't know PAC 5 had a dominant period. Weird how times change. I figured no one but Kahuku can be good at all sports, and Maryknoll and Iolani is good at bball. STL not that good at Bball. Sort of balances out I guess.

I feel bad for Kaiser. That's a shitty situation for the kids that want to play. When they can put a team together they are at much higher risk of injury.
@genks: And you had mentioned that the Pac-Five players you saw were small. Back in the mid-'80s, Pac-Five had some huge linemen. Incidentally, Kahuku actually isn't good in all sports. For example, their baseball team sucks, and they seem to suck every year. And, actually, St Louis is pretty good in basketball (unfortunately). They may not be the best, but they definitely don't suck.
Pac-Five was at its best when we were at our worst, especially 1983. Our 2013 would make the 1983 edition look like a Pop Warner team and score over 75 points.

But I also wonder if this year's Iolani team would beat any of our teams between 1983 and 1987. I do know that this Iolani team can't run the ball or stop opponents. Did graduation really hurt them that bad?
@gopunahou:
1. Iolani was a force back in the mid-'90s, when they had RB Igber. He wasn't that big, but man, did he get those yards. Guess he was more the shifty type.
2. Iolani can't run the ball or stop opponents because both their O-line and D-line are too small. Graduation must have depleted Iolani's linemen. Wasn't it just a year or two ago that Iolani had a fairly big D-line?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:01 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 pm
genks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:51 pm Come to think of it, I've never heard anything of Kahuku baseball. I don't actually follow baseball, but I don't remember seeing any articles or anything. Usually bball, of course football, and volleyball.
@genks: Well, there's a good reason why you've never heard anything of Kahuku baseball. It's not one of the school's strong suits.
Also because other than football and basketball, they're playing rugby during the other sports seasons.
@Neighbor: Yeah, that's the thing about those kids from Tonga and Samoa. They're heavily into rugby. I mean, rugby is like football minus the pads. Guess that's why those guys are tough.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:47 pm
2. Iolani can't run the ball or stop opponents because both their O-line and D-line are too small. Graduation must have depleted Iolani's linemen. Wasn't it just a year or two ago that Iolani had a fairly big D-line?
Iolani's team is really small - in stature and numbers. Roster on ScoringLive says they have more players 5'-5" or shorter (9 players) than 6'-0" or taller (6 players). They list 4 players 200# or heavier, and only 3 suit up. An acquaintance whose son is a reserve "big" on one of the D-1 ILH teams told me "I wish he could go to Iolani, but we can't pass up the full ride."

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

What's amazing is that they could go winless for the rest of the season and still qualify for the DII State Championships.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

locomoko wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:47 pm
Iolani's team is really small - in stature and numbers. Roster on ScoringLive says they have more players 5'-5" or shorter (9 players) than 6'-0" or taller (6 players). They list 4 players 200# or heavier, and only 3 suit up. An acquaintance whose son is a reserve "big" on one of the D-1 ILH teams told me "I wish he could go to Iolani, but we can't pass up the full ride."
@locomoko: OK, that means his son is attending Kamehameha, Punahou, or St Louis. Iolani is a good school, but not necessarily so much better than the three aforementioned schools that the parent should insist on transferring him to Iolani and have him play football there, seeing especially as Iolani will get beaten-up in football this year. If Iolani wouldn't offer the full ride while the other school did, well, tough for Iolani. And, I'd like to put in a plug for public schools: Most public high schools offer Honors and AP classes. If a kid really puts his or her mind to it, I think he or she can get a good education at a public high school by loading-up on Honors and AP classes. There was a girl who graduated from Waianae a year or two ago, and she was accepted at Harvard. That's right; she went from Waianae High to Harvard University. Parents should remember that they're already paying taxes for a free public education for their kid(s).
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

My3Cats wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 am What's amazing is that they could go winless for the rest of the season and still qualify for the DII State Championships.
@My3Cats: That's really a ripoff. That's the kind of thing that seems to make several guys on this message-board dislike/resent Iolani. Can't blame them. Well, even if Iolani makes it to the D2 state tourney, they won't get far. They're simply too small on both the O and D lines. They probably won't even make it to the title game, let alone win it.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

They would have to beat Pac Five at least twice so not exactly going winless the rest of the way

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

That's right - I forgot about Pac Five!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.