DJ in as the new Cambell Football HC

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: DJ in as the new Cambell Football HC

Post by rrforlifebaby »

With the young studs they got(if they haven't transferred), the Saber's D should be fun to watch.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Don't know what happened at Kailua except a vague newspaper report after he resigned regarding complaints by his assistant coaches, but Johnson had that football program rolling. Since then, Kailua didn't amount to much until Joe Wong started to get the ball rolling again just recently.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Johnson should be in his element at Campbell. He will have plenty of raw talent to work with to battle Kahuku and Mililani. If he can keep those three freshman standouts from last year as well as the rising juniors and seniors from transferring,then I think The Sabers could be a top ten team in D-I for 2017.

I think he is invested in playing out his head coaching string at Campbell if I have not misread the quotes from the SA.One of his goals is to play mainland competition like Bishop Gorman and win. Kahuku knows how hard it is and how good you have to be for a lot of years before a Bishop Gorman will play you. I wish Coach DJ all the best, but I think they are going to have to run the table in the OIA years and years with few interruptions like Kahuku has done since 2002-2016 plus beat a few St.John Bosco Cali type teams in interstate match ups to get to the big stage nationwide.

I like the way he is thinking.

bumbuchas
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bumbuchas »

be careful of what one wishes for, his coaching style is very, lets just say "Unorthodox". he left a trail of baggage at Kaimuki & Kailua. wish the Sabers well! Big shoes to fill as Coach Amosa was an outstanding Coach, person, community Leader, role model and Pastor!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

For sure, there were issues at both Kailua and Kaimuki; I don't know about "unorthodox", but he did elevate the quality of play. I wouldn't doubt it if he has this year's Campbell team making some serious noise.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

He has good intentions, but it just isn't gonna work in today's world of high school football. Parents get messy when their kid no play

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Well I guess DJ at Campbell is paying dividends. Not that he would win in the OIA semi against Kahuku, but good possibility that Campbell can beat Waianae for the third slot in OIA states. If DJ can keep the Ewa kids from going to Kapolei or StLouis, he would have a gold mine. And if Delo Santo stays as AD then better.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@BigWave96744: Seems Johnson has bounced-around from one school to another; almost like musical chairs. Like, how many high schools has he coached at so far? Four or five?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

My3Cats wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:32 pm Don't know what happened at Kailua except a vague newspaper report after he resigned regarding complaints by his assistant coaches, but Johnson had that football program rolling. Since then, Kailua didn't amount to much until Joe Wong started to get the ball rolling again just recently.
@My3Cats: I don't know; seems that Kailua got pounded a few times this year. When I think of Kailua football, I think of thick O-linemen; seems they've had that every year for like, three decades. Kind of like Farrington: Thick O-linemen almost every year. I know that Wong is a Kailua alumnus, and as such it's nice to see him coaching his alma mater. But again, they got busted-up a few times this year. You don't see Kailua getting blown-out that often.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:45 pm Johnson should be in his element at Campbell. He will have plenty of raw talent to work with to battle Kahuku and Mililani. If he can keep those three freshman standouts from last year as well as the rising juniors and seniors from transferring,then I think The Sabers could be a top ten team in D-I for 2017.

I think he is invested in playing out his head coaching string at Campbell if I have not misread the quotes from the SA.One of his goals is to play mainland competition like Bishop Gorman and win. Kahuku knows how hard it is and how good you have to be for a lot of years before a Bishop Gorman will play you. I wish Coach DJ all the best, but I think they are going to have to run the table in the OIA years and years with few interruptions like Kahuku has done since 2002-2016 plus beat a few St.John Bosco Cali type teams in interstate match ups to get to the big stage nationwide.

I like the way he is thinking.
@unpaid: I kind of resent the Bishop Gormans of the world. These schools seem to think that they crap ice-cream or something, to snub other schools as potential opponents unless they think those potential opponents have "arrived." Talk about elitism. To me, if Bishop Gorman thinks it's beneath their dignity to play a Hawaii school that's willing to take them on, then Bishop Gorman can kiss our behinds. Really.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bumbuchas wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:09 am be careful of what one wishes for, his coaching style is very, lets just say "Unorthodox". he left a trail of baggage at Kaimuki & Kailua. wish the Sabers well! Big shoes to fill as Coach Amosa was an outstanding Coach, person, community Leader, role model and Pastor!
@bumbuchas: Well, if Johnson is as "unorthodox" as you say, he might well run into problems with Campbell's principal and/or AD and/or parents. Could that be why he's bounced between several schools? I mean, I know it's the AD and/or principal who hire a coach, and you would think that the coach will have been vetted by them. But, isn't it like a marriage? People who get married to each other are always in love at first, but then things happen, and the couple over time chafes at each other. There seems to be a constant turnover of high-school football coaches every year, and we've certainly seen a few this year already. It could be like you said: "Be careful what you wish for..."

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:08 pm He has good intentions, but it just isn't gonna work in today's world of high school football. Parents get messy when their kid no play
@Neighbor: You've hit the nail on the head. Parents need to grow-up. It's the coach who gets to make the decision about who gets to play. I think parents should stay out of the way. If they can't respect the coach's decisions, then let them pull their kid from the team.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Never met DJ, but from what I've seen, whether football or basketball he gets the most out of the team and usually rises to the top.