John Hao new vars football HC at Castle High

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

John Hao new vars football HC at Castle High

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Surprised that no one posted about this yet. Hao replaces long-time HC Nelson Maeda.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: John Hao new vars football HC at Castle High

Post by Duster »

It would be nice if he could somehow increase the number of players on the varsity roster, although the enrollment is less than half of what it was when I attended CHS.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Duster wrote:It would be nice if he could somehow increase the number of players on the varsity roster, although the enrollment is less than half of what it was when I attended CHS.
@Duster: It seems that so many high schools on Oahu are shrinking, except for the ones in Leeward and Central. Kaimuki has shrunk drastically, and Kaiser, McKinley, and Radford have shrunk as well. The exception in the Leeward area is Nanakuli, which has shrunk considerably. Meanwhile, Campbell is bursting at the seams. And, now you say Castle is less than half as big as it was when you were attending. That is a drastic reduction. Let's hope that some high schools don't disappear altogether due to inadequate enrollment. There's been talk that Kaimuki and Nanakuli might close, as enrollment has fallen so drastically at those schools. In the late-'80s, there was talk that Kalani might close, though Kalani's attendance has picked-up enough since then that no one is talking about closing it now. Question is: Will people start talking about closing Castle? For any of us, wouldn't it suck if the high-school we attended were to close? What an awful thought. I think it would feel as though someone had torn-away a part of our lives, ripped-out a part of us.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Duster wrote:It would be nice if he could somehow increase the number of players on the varsity roster, although the enrollment is less than half of what it was when I attended CHS.
@Duster: It seems that so many high schools on Oahu are shrinking, except for the ones in Leeward and Central. Kaimuki has shrunk drastically, and Kaiser, McKinley, and Radford have shrunk as well. The exception in the Leeward area is Nanakuli, which has shrunk considerably. Meanwhile, Campbell is bursting at the seams. And, now you say Castle is less than half as big as it was when you were attending. That is a drastic reduction. Let's hope that some high schools don't disappear altogether due to inadequate enrollment. There's been talk that Kaimuki and Nanakuli might close, as enrollment has fallen so drastically at those schools. In the late-'80s, there was talk that Kalani might close, though Kalani's attendance has picked-up enough since then that no one is talking about closing it now. Question is: Will people start talking about closing Castle? For any of us, wouldn't it suck if the high-school we attended were to close? What an awful thought. I think it would feel as though someone had torn-away a part of our lives, ripped-out a part of us.
There have not been any new large scale residential subdivision developments in Kaneohe/Kahaluu like in the 1960's and 1970's. I think it is a part of the land banking effort by the State after the development of Waiahole/Waikane by Joe Pao was stopped to keep the country country. Thus, Kaneohe/Kahaluu is generally an older community than Ewa/Kapolei and Central Oahu where the new homes have gone up. With new homes are young families with children. Castle had over 2,700 students when I was there and now it's 1,200 something. There were over 40 portable classroom buildings then, and I'm not sure they have any now. Private schools have also had their share of football athletes from Kaneohe/Kahaluu for years. Still, I would hope that the varsity could put together a roster of 45-50 to have a two deep depth chart without the need to have too many two way players