Wrestling 2016 *wrestling and speculation - (no more bitching & moaning)

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Wrestling 2016 *wrestling and speculation - (no more bitching & moaning)

Post by talloola25 »

ProudDad wrote:From what I heard da seedings where based on your current weight class record for the,season and didnt include preseason or previous results..So if you wrestled all year at 120 and let's say for example you won every presseason and regular season at 120 but decided to move up to 126 and your record is 0-0 you're gonna be seeded low..Dats kind of what I heard...Maybe someone can clarify better...
That's pretty much what happened, plus some were submitted with inaccurate records. The biggest problem that I heard was that no criteria past records were used, thus resulting in bizarre seeds. Hopefully that will be fixed for OIAs.

Here are my predictions based on probable seeds:
Girls: 1-Roosevelt 2-Moanalua 3-Pearl City 4-Kapolei 5-Waianae
Boys: 1-Campbell 2-Kapolei 3-Moanalua 4-Leilehua 5-Waianae

We'll see who shows up healthiest and ready to fight. It should be pretty interesting regardless. Here are a few deep weight classes:
Boys
120- Pagurayan, Garcia, Stalcup, Nitta
132 - It's deep, but its Terukina's to lose - Terukina, Tavares, Diamond, Freitas, Fatiaki, Perez, Tadaki(going to be some good matches there)
182- Lelesh, Whitehead, Barefoot, Wright
Girls
122- Abe, Mena, Pineda-Abaya, Kannys, Miner

yeahyou73
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by yeahyou73 »

I wonder what happen to 182 Bito(MOA) and I know that Ruiz (MOA) had got injured in Maui, but if they show it would really get interesting indivdual and team.

FlyingSquirrel808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

yeahyou73 wrote:I wonder what happen to 182 Bito(MOA) and I know that Ruiz (MOA) had got injured in Maui, but if they show it would really get interesting indivdual and team.
Bito was pulled from the tournament to rest an extra week. I think he will be wrestling next week adding to an already stacked 182 class. I heard Ruiz will be making his comeback at OIA's at 138. Moanalua also rested Amanda Higa (102). I hear they have a pretty tough 122 pound girl that rested this weekend too.
R. Ikei (girls 132 Kaiser) also didn't wrestle this weekend due to being entered into the wrong weight class.

Anybody know how the ILH tournament went? Any results?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote:
yeahyou73 wrote:I wonder what happen to 182 Bito(MOA) and I know that Ruiz (MOA) had got injured in Maui, but if they show it would really get interesting indivdual and team.
Bito was pulled from the tournament to rest an extra week. I think he will be wrestling next week adding to an already stacked 182 class. I heard Ruiz will be making his comeback at OIA's at 138. Moanalua also rested Amanda Higa (102). I hear they have a pretty tough 122 pound girl that rested this weekend too.
R. Ikei (girls 132 Kaiser) also didn't wrestle this weekend due to being entered into the wrong weight class.

Saw that Bito and Higa(will be a huge contributor) weren't there. Is Ruiz(possibly still recovering from injury) going to supplant the East champ/Official's 4th? I know he is a great talent, but do they chance him getting re-injured if not 100% and they have a probable state placer in Wusstig? Eastern Championships seem like it would have been a better place to ease him back in.

clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by clappingforyou »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote:

Does this mean that we're going to have more controversy at the seeding meeting??!??

FlyingSquirrel808

clappingforyou wrote:
FlyingSquirrel808 wrote:

Does this mean that we're going to have more controversy at the seeding meeting??!??
What would an OIA seeding meeting be like without controversy?

_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by _sportcourt »

clappingforyou wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:There just trying to get the 1 vs 4 match up instead of the 2 vs 3 match which will better seed them for OIA's and states. Leilehua will not have a state champion this year, nor next unless the get someone to transfer.

Looks like Leilehua and Campbell are in some type of arrangement, out coached before the match perhaps. Misaki has not been the most strategic coach but has been gifted with loads of talent, 2 more years at the helm and we will see what his system can produce. Corbett being the seasoned vet just pulled off a seeding miracle to get all the clear #1 Campbell wrestlers and their coach to agree to 2nd seed, got to hand it to him.
Out coached or an arrangement? Can't be both. Team scores on HPW shows who might have gotten the better of that arrangement or coaching job. Kapolei is gonna be my dark horse for OIA, nobody talked about them before, but Salter had his team show up for Westerns for sure.

OIA - 1. Kapolei, 2. Campbell, 3. Waianae 4. Moanalua 5. Leilehua
One Coach agrees to the arrangement, the sly fox gets all his wrestlers who would not have made the finals if they were on the same side takes 2nd and that is the best he knew he could do....out coached, out classed call it what you will he got all his kids to the finals based on seeding...thats pretty slick

Coaching Job? Corbett inhereted nothing when he took over as Mules HC and has got huge turn outs, although he will not have a boys state champ for a long time he is doing a great job. Misaki inhereted a gold mine he took over the top team in the OIA both boys and girls..No longer is the girls of any significance and we will see what his system produces in 2 years for the boys.

Its interesting to see what coaches bring to the table and how they affect their team...sort of like the Belichick affect

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

_sportcourt wrote:
clappingforyou wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:
Out coached or an arrangement? Can't be both. Team scores on HPW shows who might have gotten the better of that arrangement or coaching job. Kapolei is gonna be my dark horse for OIA, nobody talked about them before, but Salter had his team show up for Westerns for sure.

One Coach agrees to the arrangement, the sly fox gets all his wrestlers who would not have made the finals if they were on the same side takes 2nd and that is the best he knew he could do....out coached, out classed call it what you will he got all his kids to the finals based on seeding...thats pretty slick

Coaching Job? Corbett inhereted nothing when he took over as Mules HC and has got huge turn outs, although he will not have a boys state champ for a long time he is doing a great job. Misaki inhereted a gold mine he took over the top team in the OIA both boys and girls..No longer is the girls of any significance and we will see what his system produces in 2 years for the boys.

Its interesting to see what coaches bring to the table and how they affect their team...sort of like the Belichick affect
Sounds like you need to get off Corbett's **** and work on resolving some obvious issues you have with Misaki. :- but that's none of my business

clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by clappingforyou »

_sportcourt wrote:
clappingforyou wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:

Well that's kind of a backhanded compliment, what makes you think that Corbett won't have a state champ for a long time??

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

clappingforyou wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:
clappingforyou wrote:

Well that's kind of a backhanded compliment, what makes you think that Corbett won't have a state champ for a long time??

Corbett's daughter looks likely to win a state championship this year. At this rate she could possibly be a 4 timer considering the competition at 155 isn't very competitive.

yeahyou73
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by yeahyou73 »

Any predictions for OIA BOYS by wieght?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

I am more familiar with the west(so, I am probably west biased), but here is my initial take on it. 132,138, and 182 seem like the deepest weights though.

108-Nagatani (WAP) over Baron(ROS)
113-Pagurayan(KPO) over ?
120-Pagurayan(KPO) over Garcia(MOA)
126-Santos(CAM) over Desantos(LEI)
132-Terukina(CAM) over Tavares(RAD)
138- Keliinoi(WAN) over Wusstig(MOA)/Pangelinan(CAM)/Yamaguchi(KPO)
145-Tampos(WAP) over Wusstig(MOA)
152-Cooper(PC) over Mair(KAS)
160-Burgos(AIE) over Oyadomari(KPO)
170-Respino(CAM) over Kikuyama(PC)
182-Lelesh(KIL) over Barefoot(LEI)
195-Sotoa(KPO) over Agao(MOA)
220-Tynanes(CAM) over Bush-Matu'u(CAS)
285-Alo(KAH) over Samuelu(MCK)

After counting, I am definitely west biased. Only 2(out of 14 possible) champions and only 10(out of 24 possible) finalists from the east in my predictions.

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

talloola25 wrote:I am more familiar with the west(so, I am probably west biased), but here is my initial take on it. 132,138, and 182 seem like the deepest weights though.

After counting, I am definitely west biased. Only 2(out of 14 possible) champions and only 10(out of 24 possible) finalists from the east in my predictions.
I wouldn't call it bias at all. Your picks are very legitimate.

Hawaiianeye
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaiianeye »

OIA boys looks fairly accurate. Any predictions on the girls side?

FlyingSquirrel808

talloola25 wrote:I am more familiar with the west(so, I am probably west biased), but here is my initial take on it. 132,138, and 182 seem like the deepest weights though.

I know a lot more about the east than I do about the west, but I would agree with most of these picks. A couple I would change though is that Ruiz will be taking Wusstig's spot at 138, so it will be between him and Keliinoi I would guess. At 145, I would say Tampos against Carreiro (WAN) or Hobby (KLN) instead. At 182, both of those guys are contenders, but if Bito (MOA) wrestles, how can you count him out? Then at 285, I have no idea about the west, but both of those east guys are not very good, so if Alapai (KPO) is any good, he has a chance there.