Wrestling 2016 *wrestling and speculation - (no more bitching & moaning)

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Wrestling 2016 *wrestling and speculation - (no more bitching & moaning)

Post by clappingforyou »

Any predictions on the team race for the boys? I think it will be between Iolani and Kamehameha. Waianae, Campbell, and Kapolei still have a chance because they will have guys who make it to the final. Campbell is my dark horse with 3 sure fire boys to make it to the finals

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

I think it's between Iolani, Kamehameha, and Campbell. It should be interesting.

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Weird match at states when Andre Pagurayan gets DQ'd for an"illegal slam". Funny thing to me is what would a "legal" slam be? The kid who got slammed was from Punahou and in my opinion caused the problem by attempting a granby escape while being picked up. Where Pgurayan errored was that he dropped the kid by letting him go instead of bringing him back to the ground. It's the second year in a row where a contender get's DQ'd because their opponent was doing something awkward.

Switch
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Switch »

Kama wrote:Weird match at states when Andre Pagurayan gets DQ'd for an"illegal slam". Funny thing to me is what would a "legal" slam be? The kid who got slammed was from Punahou and in my opinion caused the problem by attempting a granby escape while being picked up. Where Pgurayan errored was that he dropped the kid by letting him go instead of bringing him back to the ground. It's the second year in a row where a contender get's DQ'd because their opponent was doing something awkward.
Didn't see it, but I heard it was a lot more flagrant than just being "dropped". Andre is a terrific wrestler with explosive power, but he took a risk by trying to throw his opponent onto his back. At that point, it doesn't matter if a wrestler does something "awkward" in the air, it's the responsibility of the wrestler to return his opponent back to the mat safely.

And last year's slam, if I'm thinking of the same one, was definitely flagrant. The wrestler had both arms trapped and got bombed on his head.
Rule 7 Infractions
SECTION 1 ILLEGAL HOLDS/MANEUVERS

ART. 1 . . . A slam is lifting and returning an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. This infraction may be committed by a contestant in either the top or bottom position on the mat, as well as during a takedown. A slam shall be called without hesitation.”

Excerpt From: NFHS. “2015-16 NFHS Wrestling Rules Book.”
“Slams are extremely dangerous and every attempt must be made to prevent slams by reminding wrestlers of their responsibility to safely return opponents to the mat. It is the responsibility of wrestlers, coaches and referees to avoid slams. A slam is defined as lifting and returning the opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. A slam may be called on wrestlers in the neutral, top or bottom position.

Wrestlers can be called for a slam from the offensive or defensive position, regardless of whether they have control of the opponent, when and if they are responsible for the unsafe return of the opponent to the mat.

Referees must call slams without delay. Coaches bear the responsibility of teaching their wrestlers the proper techniques for lifting and returning their opponents to the mat safely. Wrestlers must never intentionally bring an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. If the referee believes the slam was an intentional act intended to cause physical harm to the opponent, it would be considered flagrant misconduct and the wrestler committing the slam shall be disqualified from the match.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

DId Monopoly Man retire?

Can someone please say "Yes". Please? Please?. . . .

Hawaiianeye
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaiianeye »

All in all it was a great State tournament.The referees did a good job by not being involved in the decisions.Congratulations to ALL THE GREAT WRESTLERS. Respicio vs. Pascua and Makuaole vs. Peralta almost made Hawaii Prep World look like fools. These are high school athletes and should nt have been put in this type of predicament. Well they did look like fools in the Navarro vs. Gooman match. I have been around and coaching wrestling for over 25 years, I have never seen a girl with the technical skills as Ashley Gooman displayed. i know that Navarro was a beast on pinning Everyone in less than 30 seconnds, and her strength has been superior the last 2 years. My hats off to Ashley for coming out and reminding all of us that wrestling techniques is still number one over muscle. But I m as guilty as Hawaii Prep World, i also thought she had no chance. Apparently nobody told her that she was the underdog, she came out poised, confident. and with a game plan not to go up an up but rather attack from all the right angles. Then to come out and execute. I am now on the wagon an am a huge fan.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Switch wrote:
Kama wrote:Weird match at states when Andre Pagurayan gets DQ'd for an"illegal slam". Funny thing to me is what would a "legal" slam be? The kid who got slammed was from Punahou and in my opinion caused the problem by attempting a granby escape while being picked up. Where Pgurayan errored was that he dropped the kid by letting him go instead of bringing him back to the ground. It's the second year in a row where a contender get's DQ'd because their opponent was doing something awkward.
Didn't see it, but I heard it was a lot more flagrant than just being "dropped". Andre is a terrific wrestler with explosive power, but he took a risk by trying to throw his opponent onto his back. At that point, it doesn't matter if a wrestler does something "awkward" in the air, it's the responsibility of the wrestler to return his opponent back to the mat safely.

And last year's slam, if I'm thinking of the same one, was definitely flagrant. The wrestler had both arms trapped and got bombed on his head.
Rule 7 Infractions

ART. 1 . . . A slam is lifting and returning an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. This infraction may be committed by a contestant in either the top or bottom position on the mat, as well as during a takedown. A slam shall be called without hesitation.”

“Slams are extremely dangerous and every attempt must be made to prevent slams by reminding wrestlers of their responsibility to safely return opponents to the mat. It is the responsibility of wrestlers, coaches and referees to avoid slams. A slam is defined as lifting and returning the opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. A slam may be called on wrestlers in the neutral, top or bottom position.

Wrestlers can be called for a slam from the offensive or defensive position, regardless of whether they have control of the opponent, when and if they are responsible for the unsafe return of the opponent to the mat.

Referees must call slams without delay. Coaches bear the responsibility of teaching their wrestlers the proper techniques for lifting and returning their opponents to the mat safely. Wrestlers must never intentionally bring an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. If the referee believes the slam was an intentional act intended to cause physical harm to the opponent, it would be considered flagrant misconduct and the wrestler committing the slam shall be disqualified from the match.
Everything you said was correct except one thing about Pagurayan's "slam". Through personal observation and discussion with others who saw it, I would differ on what actually happened. The Defensive wrestler looks as if he was initiating a granby roll which put himself in danger. With a bar arm or a hammer lock if the bottom wrestler creates an "illegal" situation the top wrestler is not penalized and potentially dangerous is called. The same should apply here. There was nothing malicious in his actions and was not driving his opponent. The opponent simply put himself in an a potentially(which turned into a dangerous) situation. Either way its done and like Diamond last year he would not be given the opportunity as a senior to earn a state championship. The problem is this call took the rights away from both wrestlers. The Punahou wrestler was defaulted to 6th even if he was able to continue later and Pagurayan was unable to meet Terukina for the true finals match he was probably looking forward to. Hopefully both wrestlers are OK.

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

What happened with Abe 122 and Pineda Abaya? Seen what looked to be a takedown by Abe late in ot just after Abe escaped from the bottom. Ref signals it outside but from our view it looked inside. Abe lost by 1 point. If that takedown scored Abe would have won the title. The fans booed. Prepworld made mention of it today.

Gooman got the girls performance of the night. She beat a very dominant wrestler in Navarro who steamrolled everyone for the last 2 seasons. Even with that loss Lahaina Luna showed up and cleaned house on the girls side. With a squad so deep and young I predict they're gonna be on top again next year.

Peralta looked injured slowed down almost stalling at some points but being the veteran she is she pull it off.

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

talloola25 wrote:
Switch wrote:

Rule 7 Infractions

Everything you said was correct except one thing about Pagurayan's "slam". Through personal observation and discussion with others who saw it, I would differ on what actually happened. The Defensive wrestler looks as if he was initiating a granby roll which put himself in danger. With a bar arm or a hammer lock if the bottom wrestler creates an "illegal" situation the top wrestler is not penalized and potentially dangerous is called. The same should apply here. There was nothing malicious in his actions and was not driving his opponent. The opponent simply put himself in an a potentially(which turned into a dangerous) situation. Either way its done and like Diamond last year he would not be given the opportunity as a senior to earn a state championship. The problem is this call took the rights away from both wrestlers. The Punahou wrestler was defaulted to 6th even if he was able to continue later and Pagurayan was unable to meet Terukina for the true finals match he was probably looking forward to. Hopefully both wrestlers are OK.
Excellent take on the rules. From my vantage point on the upper level, it looked like the Punahou wrestler put himself in danger and Pagurayan got stuck in a bad position because of that. I don't feel he should have been DQ'd. It seems to me that Diamond and Pagurayan were victims of competing against lesser qualified wrestlers. It's just my opinion, I could be wrong. I wish I had instant replay in my brain.

Hawaiianeye
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaiianeye »

Kudos to the Luna Girls. They obviously trained harder than any other team. Their coaches do an excellent job in preparing them for battle. they come out from the get go. And yes they ae laden with young talent for years to come. Hopefully all the other coaches from all the schools find an answer. So next year they can be more competitive and raise the level of competition.Good luck to all!

yeahyou73
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by yeahyou73 »

I have to say it was a great state tournament with some upsets in the semis like respecio(CAM) over kikuyama(PC) and agao (MOA) over mirza (KSK), but I think that's why I love this sport because of the unpredictability

_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by _sportcourt »

After the states P4P:
BOYS:
Cabanban/Terukina
Cooper

Cabanban - captures his third title and made it look pretty easy. This was deemed the “STACKED CLASS” and all year long he dismantled the field, he is literally head and shoulders above everyone else the only thing stacked about this class was Cabanban stacking up win after win.
Terukina – As impressive as Cabanban has been the young Terukina has been every bit as impressive and the argument can be made that what he is doing is more impressive. A typical freshman just does not win in that fashion, he is in total control of his matches and emotions.
Cooper – Very exciting wrestler, quick and willingness to take calculated opportunities is very fun to watch. Without the two above him we would be talking about this kid more.
* Pascua - After last year’s final I really thought he was not given the opportunity to show his skill set. After this final it was pretty obvious that he was showing his skill set or lack thereof. He got dragged deep and pulled it out but definitely lost lots of shine.

GIRLS:
Ashley Gooman
Teniya Alo

Gooman – Just watch the video..Lots of adjectives here insert what you like but she was nearly flawless. She gave up the first two and proceeded by putting on a spectacular performance, it was precision over power. Takes off her head gear and did not even break a sweat, easily the best performance of the tournament.
Alo – Solid performance in her own right, she took on everyone this year and beat them all. Her combination of explosiveness and power are always in the forefront when she is wrestling.
*Peralta – Struggled in her final against the young freshman from Waianae she was able to pull it off in the end but it was no easy task. Once again the skill set or lack thereof was very evident.
The rest of the girls are not that fun to watch

COY BOYS:
Lucas Misaki –Campbell came in with 7 athletes and walked away with 6 in the FINALS and 3 as State Champions. Not an easy task by any means and was in the hunt for the team title.

COY GIRLS:
Todd Hayase – Luna As a team there is no one out there that can stop this crew, with their combination of attitude and age they have the capability to holding on to this spot for next year also.

Shout out to the Officiating which was a vast improvement from years prior!

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Nice breakdown of States sportcourt! \:D/

We were discussing changing the singlet last week and here is the USA wrestling article that discussed that.

Imagine this: A youth wrestler heads to a Ohio State University wrestling match and sees Kyle Snyder competing in a wrestling uniform. After the match, his dad takes him to an apparel stand, and he buys a youth Kyle Snyder replica uniform top. The next week, he wears it at school. A classmate then asks "Who is Kyle Snyder?" The youth wrestler responds: "He's an Olympic champion college wrestler."

Suddenly the two are talking about Snyder, and wrestling. Imagine a world where today's youth are walking around wearing replica uniform tops of their favorite wrestler. A young girl in a replica USA Helen Maroulis uniform. A Jordan Burroughs uniform. A J'den Cox replica top. Think about people talking at the NCAA tournament in 15 years: "Check out that guy wearing an old school Penn State Nico Megaludis jersey."

All of that already happens today with NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, WNBA, and MLS jerseys/uniform tops. Go out to the park, the mall, the grocery store, or the airport—almost anywhere and you’ll see boys, girls, men, and women showing off their support for their favorite teams and players.

Wrestling fans are passionate about their favorite teams and wrestlers too. But they have no easy way to show it in public.

Why not?

"We need to help the sport of wrestling promote what we are passionate about," says Tony Black, Director of State Services for USA Wrestling. "We need to allow our fans to be passionate and promote the sport. Why not do it through some sort of wrestling jersey or uniform top?”

There's more to it though, says Black, echoing other wrestling leaders. While switching over to wrestling two-piece uniforms may seem like it only promotes apparel companies, there a more fundamental reason wrestling needs to make a uniform change: The singlet is hurting wrestling. Traditionalists don't like to hear it. But it's true.

"The majority of parents I talk to who are new to the sport are not super excited about having their child wear a singlet," Black says. "In fact, some won't join the sport or are hesitant because they don't want to wear the singlet."

Last year, 8,500 coaches responded to a National Wrestling Coaches Association survey. In that survey, coaches were "overwhelmingly in support" of moving to an alternative uniform option, citing the importance of retaining wrestlers and growing wrestling, said Mike Moyer, Executive Director of the National Wrestling Coaches Association.

"What we found was that the singlet was definitely a barrier to entry into the sport," Moyer explains. "This was especially an issue with first-year wrestlers, and at the middle school level.”

Moyer is all for an alternative option, and feels it would help move the sport forward. "We've heard enough perspective from coaches across the country that they absolutely believe an alternative option would enhance recruitment and retention."

It’s important to recognize that the wrestling uniform has evolved over the years. In the 1930s and 1940s wrestlers often wore tights and nothing on top. Concerns about "revealing too much" helped fuel NCAA rule changes in the mid-1960s that ultimately led to adopting singlets later in that decade. An article by wrestling historian Mark Palmer about the history of the wrestling uniform notes: "The 1963 NCAA Wrestling Championships at Kent State University in Ohio was the last to allow wrestlers to compete stripped to the waist."

Danny Struck, head coach Indiana's Jeffersonville High School, says "we need to knock out reasons that kids come up with not to wrestle." He adds: "Let’s be honest, singlets aren't flattering.”

This is especially true for that youth or teen wrestler who is still maturing or who is concerned with their body image. "We recruit 260-pound football players to wrestle and they get in that singlet for the first time…and they don’t want do it,” Struck says.

Wrestling traditionalists may still oppose the idea of switching, but even among this group, an awareness of the disadvantages of singlets is growing. "I wore them for 17 years and never thought anything of it," says Jim Harshaw, a former DI wrestler and coach who now helps train wrestlers at the Charlottesville Wrestling Club in Charlottesville, Virginia. “Now that I am a club coach and trying to recruit teenage kids to the sport, I realize that singlets are the single biggest obstacle to kids who have already demonstrated interest. Even moms and dads crack jokes and poke fun.”

Harshaw also works in athletics administration at a Power 5 Conference school (University of Virginia). More than once, there have been opportunities to put images of wrestlers in publications but that didn't happen because there wasn't a picture that was "appropriate" due to the revealing nature of the singlet.

Harshaw asks this: "What teenage boy wants to try a new sport where he has to walk to the center of a gymnasium with all eyes on him wearing a tight-fitting single piece of Lycra and potentially be beaten by another boy?" Wrestling is humbling enough, he notes. "Let's make it slightly more comfortable—psychologically, not physically—and lower the barrier for those who want to give it a try."

Troy Nickerson, head coach at the University of Northern Colorado, wrestled at Cornell in the mid-2000s when teams like the Big Red, Missouri, and Hofstra, among others, wore a two-piece uniform. They looked great, Nickerson said, but he was not a fan of the feel once competing. But since then, compression garments have made great strides in both comfort and performance. That’s why he’s now in favor of giving wrestlers the choice between a two-piece or singlet for competition.

Tim Flynn, longtime head coach of perennial DI power Edinboro University, admits he's a fan of the traditional singlet. But he also says that this year, for the first time, the Scots are going to try and wear compression shirts and shorts, versus the traditional singlets. "To non-wrestling people, singlets looks funny," Flynn acknowledges.

"I know in the four major professional sports, the jerseys sell like hot cakes," says August Manz is a coach with the COBRA Optimists Wrestling Club of Council Bluffs, Iowa. "If kids or adults are wearing a Kyle Snyder replica jersey or uniform in public it can be a walking advertisement for the sport of wrestling and that wrestler. This can help get the common person interested in the sport of wrestling."

Wrestlers are good at making adjustments. In time, they would also adjust to this, Manz says.

Moyer also likes the idea of a wrestling jersey. "Those are the kinds of innovative things we need to be doing,” he says. “Anything that we can do to get youth wrestlers to look up to our iconic wrestlers is a good thing."

Ultimately, it’s about retaining wrestlers and growing the sport, on and off the mat.

"We want more people to enter our sport," Black points out. "We need to remove barriers to entry, and one of those barriers is the singlet. If we see our heroes of the sport wearing a jersey, or different style of uniform, wrestling will become more popular and socially acceptable. Let's start at the top, and let it filter down to the youth level."
Last edited by Kama on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Here's part 2 released on 2/17/2017

Jason Bryant, founder of Mat Talk Online and the Mat Talk Podcast Network, remembers his first year of wrestling. He was 16. "I was portly to say the least and I didn’t want to wear the singlet," he recalls. And because Bryant knows first-hand about going out on the mat to compete and feeling uncomfortable in his uniform, he's on board with the sport moving away from the traditional singlet to an alternative option.

He's not alone. A National Wrestling Coaches Association survey of 8,500 coaches from last fall found "overwhelmingly support" for moving to an alternative uniform option, to both retaining wrestlers and grow the sport of wrestling. What we found was that the singlet was definitely a barrier to entry into the sport," says Mike Moyer, Executive Director of the National Wrestling Coaches Association. "This was especially an issue with first-year wrestlers, and at the middle-school level.”

Wrestling traditionalists often dismiss the singlet as a barrier to entry. After our September article on this topic, one response we received was: "Changing the singlet is not what is best for the highly competitive wrestler." Another commented: "With all due respect to my colleagues who were interviewed for this article, clothing has not been and unlikely will be the primary reason why a child doesn't participate in an organized sport like wrestling."

But there is plenty of evidence to prove that the singlet is a barrier to entry. Bryant featured Sara Levin as a guest in one of his February podcasts. Levin previously worked in positions with USA Wrestling and the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, and started wreSTL, a youth wrestling center in St. Louis to help expose the sport of wrestling to a new generation of people. The club includes numerous kids being introduced to the sport. During her interview, Levin said she saw that the singlet truly was a deterrent to kids joining the sport.

One longtime club coach agrees. He says he was and remains a fan of the singlet, but that he was always fit and confident about his body growing up. So if wearing a tight-fitting singlet is make or break for a newcomer to the sport, he says why not give kids the option of a tight shirt and compression shorts to help grow the sport? Another youth wrestling coach, in response to our earlier singlet article, argued that making uniform requirements more flexible can only help wrestling: “Purists need to realize that it is no longer about them and what they did it as a wrestler, it’s about retention and growth of a truly remarkable sport.”

Michael Doyle, head wrestling coach at Independence High School in Iowa, says he'd prefer the singlet remain as the standard uniform for high school competition, but that younger competitors be given alternatives. "I think we offer student-athletes a choice and see where it goes at the lower levels," he advises.

As for those who say that kids who don't want to wear a singlet aren't tough enough to be wrestlers in the first place, Bryant says that’s a self-defeating attitude. "I don’t know too many eight-year-olds who are just naturally tough,” he notes. Kids build that resiliency over time, he adds. “You can’t simply look at a kid who doesn’t want to wear a singlet and say ‘We don’t need him or her in the sport because they will quit anyway.'"

Wrestling traditionalists also complain that tight-fitting singlets prevent injuries. Yet, wrestlers actually spend more time practicing in loose fitting t-shirts and shorts than they do competing in a singlet, Bryant points out. "So you run the risk of fingers getting caught more in practice than you would in a hypothetical match with a tight-fitting compression uniform.”

Growing the sport is in everyone’s interest. And, going forward, one of the simplest ways to do that involves growing the options for what wrestlers wear in competition. And wrestling isn’t the only sport facing this issue. Competition uniforms are evolving in other sports too. College and professional basketball players now routinely wear tight-fitting compression clothing, sometime under their jerseys, sometimes as their jerseys. And many basketball programs now feature shirts with cap sleeves, ditching the traditional tank-top look. Tradition is strong in those sports too, but the uniform has successfully evolved and the sport hasn’t suffered. It's time for wrestling to do the same, and evolve from singlet only to other options.

"The world will not come to an end if wrestling ditches the singlet," says Joe Russell, head coach at George Mason University. Ditching the singlet won’t ‘save’ wrestling either, Russell adds, but there is enough evidence now, he says, that the move would benefit the sport.

"Change is difficult, but even those who grew up wearing a singlet can still identify with the sport if competitors wore shorts and a shirt," Russell says. "Let’s make the change."

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

I disagree with changing the uniform at this point.

Anyone who remembers way back when star wrestlers like Johnny Barend and Ripper Collins were menacing Hawaii wrestlng, knows that loose shorts are good hiding places for contraband.

Imagine a match where the monopoly man makes several visits to the scorer's table to amaze the crowd wih his magnificence. During one of those protracted visits, there is no doubt brass knuckles, shivs, even pencils could be retrieved and used when action started again.

The conditions necessary for uniform changes to be effective are obvious. In order for them to happen and "work", the monopoly man shouldn't be allowed to ref anymore.