Basketball transfers

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Basketball transfers

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
TheKrew808 wrote:Wow just watched saint francis beat Kahuku and kalaheo..guess we know who will be the D2 champ.
@TheKrew808: Exactly. And what the heck is St Francis doing in D2? They've got no business being in D2. The way they're playing, not only would they be competitive in D1; they'd probably make it to the D1 state tourney. The other D2 schools should complain.
St. Francis is like the basketball version of Iolani playing in D2 (thank God that ain't happening any longer). However, even if they win it all in D2, they won't've been the most dominant team to do it. There was one year that Kalaheo squashed the D2 competition.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

It's just the pre-season. I think Big Red has the talent, they just need time to gel. Considering how relatively young the St Francis boy's programs are, it's pretty amazing to see the success they are having.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
TheKrew808 wrote:Wow just watched saint francis beat Kahuku and kalaheo..guess we know who will be the D2 champ.
@TheKrew808: Exactly. And what the heck is St Francis doing in D2? They've got no business being in D2. The way they're playing, not only would they be competitive in D1; they'd probably make it to the D1 state tourney. The other D2 schools should complain.
St. Francis is like the basketball version of Iolani playing in D2 (thank God that ain't happening any longer). However, even if they win it all in D2, they won't've been the most dominant team to do it. There was one year that Kalaheo squashed the D2 competition.
@gopunahou: You know, that's exactly what I was thinking; it's as if you had read my mind. St Francis is like the basketball version of what Iolani was in D2 football. Now, about Kalaheo: When were they in D2 for basketball? Kalaheo has been good in basketball for over 20 years. Why would they be put in D2 for basketball? I can see football and baseball, but not basketball. Kalaheo is the OIA version of Maryknoll: Not that good in football (Maryknoll doesn't even have its own football team), not always good in baseball (both Kalaheo and Maryknoll are in D2), but look-out when it comes to basketball. I don't know why, but that's how those two schools are.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

gopunahou wrote:
@gopunahou: You know, that's exactly what I was thinking; it's as if you had read my mind. St Francis is like the basketball version of what Iolani was in D2 football. Now, about Kalaheo: When were they in D2 for basketball? Kalaheo has been good in basketball for over 20 years. Why would they be put in D2 for basketball? I can see football and baseball, but not basketball. Kalaheo is the OIA version of Maryknoll: Not that good in football (Maryknoll doesn't even have its own football team), not always good in baseball (both Kalaheo and Maryknoll are in D2), but look-out when it comes to basketball. I don't know why, but that's how those two schools are.
2012 was the year
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
gopunahou wrote: St. Francis is like the basketball version of Iolani playing in D2 (thank God that ain't happening any longer). However, even if they win it all in D2, they won't've been the most dominant team to do it. There was one year that Kalaheo squashed the D2 competition.
2012 was the year
@gopunahou: Now, isn't that lame? Anyone who has been following high-school boys' basketball here for the last two decades would know that in that sport, Kalaheo does not belong in D2. I mean, it's really just as simple as that. Makes you wonder about the people who determine classification. That's almost as lame as putting St Louis in D2 for football.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

The year gopunahou pointed out that Kalaheo played in D-II as I recall was based on two things. OIA uses power ratings for basketball using a combined two- year varsity-JV win total same as football. In the season before Kalaheo got demoted to D-II I recall that the Mustangs had some roster issues which they tried to solve by almost stripping their JV squad. The result was a bad JV record that ,when added to a unusually bad varsity record by Mustang standards ,led to Kalaheo's demotion back then.

Obviously,Kalaheo has played their way back into D-I since then.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:HS Football Fanatic,

The year gopunahou pointed out that Kalaheo played in D-II as I recall was based on two things. OIA uses power ratings for basketball using a combined two- year varsity-JV win total same as football. In the season before Kalaheo got demoted to D-II I recall that the Mustangs had some roster issues which they tried to solve by almost stripping their JV squad. The result was a bad JV record that ,when added to a unusually bad varsity record by Mustang standards ,led to Kalaheo's demotion back then.

Obviously,Kalaheo has played their way back into D-I since then.
@unpaid: Oh, OK. Well, that explains things. I guess every school is entitled to a bad year. And, speaking of St Louis and D2 football: In '82, St Louis finished dead last in the ILH; they lost even to Damien. (Hope Damien alumni don't come after me). And, I think that was Cal Lee's first or second year there as HC. Of course, there was no D2 then, but if there were, I guess St Louis would have ended-up there for the '83 season. Which would have been bogus, as St Louis won the ILH in '83.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I wonder how good Maryknoll would be if Justice Sueing and Brian Washington were still there. Yes, Justice Sueing is the son of the former Hawaii great. He's also one of Tua's best friends, as that's another reason many ILH teams (and Kahuku) wish Tua had been a Mater Dei Monarch.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:I wonder how good Maryknoll would be if Justice Sueing and Brian Washington were still there. Yes, Justice Sueing is the son of the former Hawaii great. He's also one of Tua's best friends, as that's another reason many ILH teams (and Kahuku) wish Tua had been a Mater Dei Monarch.
@gopunahou: Well, if you're a student or alumnus of a certain school, you don't want any other school it's playing to have a good QB, right? If Tua weren't at St Louis, it's virtually certain Punahou would have been ILH D1 champ. Likewise, Kahuku would almost certainly have been state Open champ. But now that Tua graduates, Punahou might have a chance for the ILH D1 title next year. I can't honestly say I want Punahou to take it--(gopunahou, you know that, unfortunately, I'm simply not a fan of your alma mater)--but they appear to have a chance. Getting back to basketball: If Sueing and Washington were still with Maryknoll, that would hurt your alma mater's chances of winning ILH D1. Something to think about.

Eehraz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Eehraz »

Daniel Fotu played his first game with Kahuku in the Iolani classic tonight