Basketball transfers

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Basketball transfers

Post by unpaid »

Is Samuta Avea back at Kahuku? I was reading an online article from the Deseret News and the one of the team capsules said Avea had transferred back to Hawaii but did not name the school. A promising wing IIRC.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Basketball transfers

Post by My3Cats »

http://khon2.com/2016/11/16/kahuku-bask ... -warriors/

Kahuku High School’s Samuta Avea has put pen to paper and signed a National Letter of Intent to join the University of Hawai’i men’s basketball team next season.

Avea shared the news with KHON2 this afternoon saying he is “extremely proud and excited for the opportunity to play for the people of Hawaii”

The Hauula native who left Kahuku after his sophomore season, moving to Utah, made a name for himself at Bingham High School as a junior, averaging 10 points and seven rebound per game.

The 6-foot-6 guard/forward was also selected second-team all-state in Utah, leading his school to a state title.

Avea has since transferred back to Kahuku to play his senior season.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Sounds like a win for Avea,Kahuku,and UH!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:Sounds like a win for Avea,Kahuku,and UH!
@unpaid: I sure hope he can help Kahuku win the state D1 title. They were pretty good last year; hope they didn't have too many seniors on that team, as they're gone.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Yah,Kahuku put together a good run late and made it all the way to D-I states semi before Punahou beat them by two.Anae 6-5,Latu 6-4,and Spencer 6-3 graduated. Keanu Akina is the only player returning who really contributed a lot against Punahou at states last year,so getting a 6-6 athlete who can switch between guard and forward is a good deal for Kahuku.Now the question is who will step up from last year's bench?

Noticed Brian Washington transferred to Las Vegas from Maryknoll.

Eehraz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Eehraz »

The Akina brothers are going to school in the mainland.
Jessiya Avilla has come home to play his Senior year, and some of the football boys are transitioning into basketball.
Should be exciting.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Yah,Kahuku put together a good run late and made it all the way to D-I states semi before Punahou beat them by two.Anae 6-5,Latu 6-4,and Spencer 6-3 graduated. Keanu Akina is the only player returning who really contributed a lot against Punahou at states last year,so getting a 6-6 athlete who can switch between guard and forward is a good deal for Kahuku.Now the question is who will step up from last year's bench?

Noticed Brian Washington transferred to Las Vegas from Maryknoll.
@unpaid: Looks like Kahuku might need some help from last year's JV. How was Kahuku's JV last year? As for Maryknoll, they beat Kalani by only 2 last night.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Eehraz wrote:The Akina brothers are going to school in the mainland.
Jessiya Avilla has come home to play his Senior year, and some of the football boys are transitioning into basketball.
Should be exciting.
@Eehraz: OK, any of the football boys good in basketball? Generally it's the tall, fast receivers. The Kahuku football team was run-oriented, so: Did they have tall, fast receivers? And big, tall TEs are the kind of guys useful under the basket, where they can muscle-in shots and muscle-away rebounds. Again, with the Kahuku football team being run-oriented, did they have/use TEs? Not all high-schools use TEs Well, I take that back. I guess even run-oriented schools use TEs as a kind of compromise; TEs are often used for short-yardage pass plays. Kamehameha, for example, is almost always run-oriented, yet they almost always have TEs. I do know there was a time when TEs were a rarity in the pros.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Jessiya Avilla coming to Kahuku is huge in light of the Akina brothers transferring to the mainland. In light of the situation at Kahuku last year, I guess Iam not surprised to learn that Coach Akina got him and his family out of that situation.

What Avilla did his junior year at Martinsburg, WV,Hs was averaging 17 ppg ,around three rebounds and assists pg and a steal or two pg.His team went to the championship final in their class at West Virginia states. Avilla should be a more than capable replacement for the Akina's.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Jessiya Avilla coming to Kahuku is huge in light of the Akina brothers transferring to the mainland. In light of the situation at Kahuku last year, I guess Iam not surprised to learn that Coach Akina got him and his family out of that situation.

What Avilla did his junior year at Martinsburg, WV,Hs was averaging 17 ppg ,around three rebounds and assists pg and a steal or two pg.His team went to the championship final in their class at West Virginia states. Avilla should be a more than capable replacement for the Akina's.
@unpaid: OK, sounding good. How's Kahuku's height? Also, any credible help coming-up from the JV?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kahuku JV went 3-7 last year in OIA play,so I doubt a lot of help is on the way.

Kahuku has decent height. Avea 6-6 and Avilla 5-11.Some of the football players transitioning to hoops are pretty big like Elkington 6-5,Alapa 6-2. Tai Wright 6-4.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Kahuku JV went 3-7 last year in OIA play,so I doubt a lot of help is on the way.

Kahuku has decent height. Avea 6-6 and Avilla 5-11.Some of the football players transitioning to hoops are pretty big like Elkington 6-5,Alapa 6-2. Tai Wright 6-4.
@unpaid: OK, that sounds real good. Hope Kahuku has good shooters, too. How's their D? And, how's their team speed? It's good to be tall, big, and hulking, but it would be even better if they're all that and fast. If they're going to take-down Iolani, they're going to need everything they can get.
How about Kapolei? They bombed McKinley a few nights ago, and McKinley was pretty good last year.

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

Jessiya's last name is Villa and not Avilla. His dad is former Kamehameha Warrior Kahi Villa. Kahi later played at BYUH and then in the Philippines professional basketball league. In 2013 Jessiaya was included in the Philippines men's national under-16 basketball team pool but was not included in the final roster.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BowTow wrote:Jessiya's last name is Villa and not Avilla. His dad is former Kamehameha Warrior Kahi Villa. Kahi later played at BYUH and then in the Philippines professional basketball league. In 2013 Jessiaya was included in the Philippines men's national under-16 basketball team pool but was not included in the final roster.
@BowTow: I remember Kahi. I think he's a '92 Kamehameha alumnus. He could dunk big-time, even though he wasn't that tall. How come his boy's not playing for Kamehameha?

AlohaG
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by AlohaG »

With the invention of the Internet, you are able to research and be pretty accurate.
Jessiya Villa, son of Kahi Villa 1994 graduate of Kam. This kid was the conference player of the year in WV, the only Junior named to the First Team All State in WV, and made the Iolani Classic All tournament team last year.
I watched him play against St. Louis last night, where he had 26 points. This kid was 360 dunking in warm ups. About 5'11" 180 all muscle. Was blowing by everybody. Easily the player of the game. Avea had two monster dunks and a few trash buckets. Hope he does more then that for them this season. Kesi is a beast! Savao didn't play. Won by about 10. Both teams look rusty from football, except for these two transfers. But make no mistake, they are fast, aggressive, very athletic, and seem to be very close to one another. I just went to see what all the hype was about. The gym was packed, every seat taken, I had to stand the whole game. I'll be watching Kalaheo next. Seems like Whitlock is doing well!! Aloha for now!!