2016 Football Championships

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2016 Football Championships

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote:I agree, a couple of completions would've been nice, but last nights Crusader D did a good job. That fumble into the end zone took away alot of momentum. Win some lose some. Big Red still gave our community another memorable season though. Much love to our Boyz!!
@rrforlifebaby: I think that fumble was the turning point; I think that that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I still can't believe they lost, though. Kahuku was better than St Louis at every position except QB and LB.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Can someone explain this haka controversy? I understand it stems from what Kahuku did last year, but how can HHSAA ban them from doing it this year when they've regularly done it? Did Kapa'a also get banned from doing a haka too?

IFeelThat¿
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by IFeelThat¿ »

Neighbor wrote:Can someone explain this haka controversy? I understand it stems from what Kahuku did last year, but how can HHSAA ban them from doing it this year when they've regularly done it? Did Kapa'a also get banned from doing a haka too?
Who cares. They are there to play football, not do the Haka. There should be no controversy with the ban because the HHSAA can do whatever they want.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

True that, the HHSAA can do whatever they want. The Haka out on the field is more for us fans anyway; would be cool if they just allow it by the team to the other team tho.

Changing the subject, any one have any insight as to why Coach Tata changed up his defense by taking the top corner in the state off of the corner position? Left the other top corner on an island all by himself; I love the kid, but because he was playing aggressive, he got beat with no help on one play and late help AND a beautiful pass by the St Louis qb.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

What an awesome game!!!! What an exciting season!!! Both St Louis and Kahuku played tough. The fans, the haka, the blue out, the red out...it was all great to see. No other place like Hawaii when it comes to the hs football state championship. I really thought that kahuku was going to bring more pressure to attack Tua. They rushed 3 sometimes 4 and used #28 to spy Tua. Stl OL did a great job giving Tua enough time to find the open receivers and opening up running lanes for him to run. kahuk D, played tough too, not sure why they played #1 at safety and #7 at cb? #7 is going to be good but he's still young. #20 looked like he was a step behind, maybe was playing hurt. kahuku was doing a good job running the rock. their OL played awesome too, but that stl D played solid in crunch time.....even without slade matautia and #40. This open division was a success, great match ups every week. One thing was clear though....at the end of the season, kahuku and st. Louis were by far the 2 best teams in the state......Congrats crusaders.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote:True that, the HHSAA can do whatever they want. The Haka out on the field is more for us fans anyway; would be cool if they just allow it by the team to the other team tho.

Changing the subject, any one have any insight as to why Coach Tata changed up his defense by taking the top corner in the state off of the corner position? Left the other top corner on an island all by himself; I love the kid, but because he was playing aggressive, he got beat with no help on one play and late help AND a beautiful pass by the St Louis qb.
@rrforlifebaby: That's a very good question. Does Tata double as the DC? I mean, the move you mentioned was critical. After all, Kahuku had the best secondary in the state, and for Tata to tinker with it now? I still can't believe Kahuku lost. I know they lost fair and square, and yet somehow it doesn't seem fair. I don't know why Kahuku collapsed on both O and D during the second half, especially the 4th qtr. They were ahead at the half, and I thought they would come-out fired-up during the 2nd half and just ram the ball down St Louis' throat. I still feel a little discouraged; I really preferred Kahuku to win. Hard to get over it.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote:I agree, a couple of completions would've been nice, but last nights Crusader D did a good job. That fumble into the end zone took away alot of momentum. Win some lose some. Big Red still gave our community another memorable season though. Much love to our Boyz!!
@rrforlifebaby: I think that fumble was the turning point; I think that that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I still can't believe they lost, though. Kahuku was better than St Louis at every position except QB and LB.
I'd go ahead and say receivers as well. And it isn't positions going head to head, it's the whole team.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

rrforlifebaby wrote:True that, the HHSAA can do whatever they want. The Haka out on the field is more for us fans anyway; would be cool if they just allow it by the team to the other team tho.

@rrforlifebaby: That's a very good question. Does Tata double as the DC? I mean, the move you mentioned was critical. After all, Kahuku had the best secondary in the state, and for Tata to tinker with it now? I still can't believe Kahuku lost. I know they lost fair and square, and yet somehow it doesn't seem fair. I don't know why Kahuku collapsed on both O and D during the second half, especially the 4th qtr. They were ahead at the half, and I thought they would come-out fired-up during the 2nd half and just ram the ball down St Louis' throat. I still feel a little discouraged; I really preferred Kahuku to win. Hard to get over it.
Everybody has a down game, it just wasn't their night. I don't think moving Kekaula had a huge affect on the game. St. Louis utilizes their slot backs more than their wide outs, and Kaonohi held down his side- Kekaula played safety to help cover inside. However, because of that, Stokes was on an island all night, and though they adjusted in the second half, with Kesi/Kekaula in the two deep, STL still made plays.

Kahuku's O and the play calling seemed too predictable. I understand Sol-Jay in a hostile environment and raised stakes, the conservative play calling... but they failed to utilize him in the passing game: 0 pass yards. ZERO. Even last year, they managed big pass plays, that was literally non existent with a better QB taking snaps. STL played an amazing game on both sides, and I don't take anything away from them. Good win crusaders.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@rednblue: Well, looking at your User Name, you must be a St Louis alumnus. They won, so it is what it is. I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, so I'm not exactly crying into my pillow each night. I don't know; I've been hearing stuff, like Tata was texting trash before the game. But, Tata is a St Louis alumnus, too. It's all crazy. In a way, I'm kind of sad that high-school football season is over. All that's left are those all-star games, and I'm not really into those. I like it when a football team represents a school, rather than when it's a collection of players from different schools. It's hard for me to have a feeling for something like that. I guess the next best thing is boys' basketball, but I have very mixed feelings about that, the reason being that a school that I don't like is likely to take the D1 state title. Isn't that discouraging? I mean, basketball is every bit as exciting as football. But, there's a lot of angst, a sense of dread, when you know it's likely that a school you dislike is probably going to win the big enchilada in D1. It's kind of disheartening and frustrating. By the way, I'm not talking about St Louis. I don't really have a strong dislike for St Louis, though I frankly don't exactly like them, either, if the truth be told. What kind of shocked me over the past two days is the number of guys who told me they're glad Kahuku lost, and none of them are St Louis alumni. I guess that shows how different everyone is. I mean, I'm totally OK with Kahuku; I feel comfortable with that school, I have no dislike for them. I have no problem with them taking lots of football titles; I don't resent it.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS FOOTBALL FANATIC, maybe HHSAA can make some changes in basketball and instill a shot clock. Let the atheletes play! After all if you go college ball, they have a shot clock? I hate when your favorite HS team gets a lead then start the stall. They been doing that for years. GET RID OF THE STALL.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote:HS FOOTBALL FANATIC, maybe HHSAA can make some changes in basketball and instill a shot clock. Let the atheletes play! After all if you go college ball, they have a shot clock? I hate when your favorite HS team gets a lead then start the stall. They been doing that for years. GET RID OF THE STALL.
@Markeke: Yeah, I remember the "four-corner stall" that some high-schools liked to use in the early-'90s. Well, even with the stall, basketball is still a faster game than, say, baseball, which I also like to watch (but only high-school and UH). I don't know; if your favorite high-school team--(which, I would assume, would be your alma mater)--is playing, you hate to see them lose, right? Especially if they're playing a school you don't like. So, as frustrating as the four-corner stall might be, if it helps your alma mater win the game, perhaps you'd stay with it? I think a shot-clock would benefit taller teams. So, if your alma mater lacks height, that might be another reason to keep the stall legal. I guess the question for all of us guys is: If the stall helps your alma mater win games, would you keep it? You know how high-school basketball games are: Everyone is packed into a relatively small building (a high-school gym), so there's a lot of energy and noise going. The cheerleaders are yelling, fans are cheering, the loud buzzers are going-off constantly. And, if the game is close, there's so much tension and drama. In such an up-close, loud, high-energy environment, it so sucks if your alma mater loses, especially if the game was very close. You know how it is: You leave the gym kind of crushed, drained, and deflated. So, I don't know if there's a consensus on putting-in a shot-clock at high-school games. I would think it depends on which school's ox would get gored. But, every year, guys talk about having a shot-clock. Would a guy prefer his alma mater win with the stall, or lose without it? Something to ponder. And, even as we speak, pre-season high-school basketball games are already being played.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

The shot clock in college and pro's promotes the atheletes. If you want to watch a professional dribbler who likes to shoot uncontested free throws then Hawaii HS is for you. It favors the short guards. I was being sarcastic when I said YOUR favorite team. I meant Iolani.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote:The shot clock in college and pro's promotes the atheletes. If you want to watch a professional dribbler who likes to shoot uncontested free throws then Hawaii HS is for you. It favors the short guards. I was being sarcastic when I said YOUR favorite team. I meant Iolani.
@Markeke: Oh, OK, now I catch-on. Yeah, apparently you agree that Iolani is likely to repeat as D1 state champs. I really don't want to see that happen. Hopefully Maryknoll or Kamehameha of the ILH can stop them, or perhaps Kalaheo or Kahuku of the OIA. Or, perhaps Kamehameha Big Island? I don't think any other outer-island schools can do it. Notice that I didn't mention St Louis, of the ILH; after they took the state Open football title, I don't really want them to win anything else anytime soon. I was looking forward to a Kahuku victory, and St Louis ruined my hopes and left me (still) deflated.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote:The shot clock in college and pro's promotes the atheletes. If you want to watch a professional dribbler who likes to shoot uncontested free throws then Hawaii HS is for you. It favors the short guards. I was being sarcastic when I said YOUR favorite team. I meant Iolani.
@Markeke: Oh, OK, now I catch-on. Yeah, apparently you agree that Iolani is likely to repeat as D1 state champs. I really don't want to see that happen. Hopefully Maryknoll or Kamehameha of the ILH can stop them, or perhaps Kalaheo or Kahuku of the OIA. Or, perhaps Kamehameha Big Island? I don't think any other outer-island schools can do it. Notice that I didn't mention St Louis, of the ILH; after they took the state Open football title, I don't really want them to win anything else anytime soon. I was looking forward to a Kahuku victory, and St Louis ruined my hopes and left me (still) deflated.
Looks like we'll have to scratch Kalaheo. They beat Kamehameha's vars 2 team by only 7 points on Wednesday. That's Kamehameha's B team, officially named, "Kamehameha II."

TheKrew808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TheKrew808 »

I really think Kahuku abandoned their game plan and left the door open for the crusaders. No changes and run it down thier throat, and they would have the title. Crusaders are really stacked too but unheard of because of no tv exposure. But if you watched kids football you would know these kids from big boys/ pop warner are all studs too. So it was not a surprise for me to see Crusaders win it all. Both teams are full of beast and made Hawaii ballers look well represented. As far as the Haka, it was told to me by a official that it wasn't banned but only they could not go onto the field and face the opponent and perform the Haka. Who ever did
They would be Ejected. They could have done it on the sidelines facing thier crowd. But tata was afraid of them getting pumped and turning around. I'm already missing football and stating my pick for next year..With sls returning 9 starters on D. And the 2nd string qb returning with A bunch of slots and rcvrs.
My money is on the Crusaders! Send all wagers to P O box 8975309 hahaha!! Oh yeah Cmon UH send Offers to our local boys so they stay home!! Always waiting till late..