2016 Football Championships

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

2016 Football Championships

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Can't believe that another football season is almost done. Here's my H.O. for each bracket:

D2 - Clash of the neighbor islands; good on them; from what I've been reading and hearing, as long as KIF officials don't officiate the game, Lahaina has a good chance. I honestly don't know that much about either squad, but, I'll go with the team in Red for the D2 title. Luna's in a good physical game.

D1 - Iolani has proven that the quality of play in the ILH overall is better than the rest of the state. How else can you explain a team with a scrub record demolishing a physical up and coming Campbell squad? Still, gota go with the the public school in this matchup. Looking for the Trojan's to score lots of points to get the win.

OPEN - ILH vs OIA! Public vs Private! Country vs Town! Red Raider Nation vs The Brotherhood! Kahuku Vs St Louis! Does it get any better than this in Hawaii High School Football?!?!
Big time matchups all over the field in this game.
For St Louis, Tagovailoa and Young leading the O; linebackers anchoring the D.
For Kahuku, multiple Offensive formations, stable of running backs, pretty decent tight end play, physical blockers, more than adequate receivers, AND, a very talented freshman qb...pick your poison. On the Defensive side for Big Red, a cohesive, mobile, agile, and very hostile unit. Special teams play overall in favor of Big Red.

Big Red takes home another championship!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2016 Football Championships

Post by Markeke »

Open. Kahuku 52-14
D1. Mililani 48-24
D2. Lahainaluna. 28-20

bigD
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by bigD »

Kahukus biggest concern on defense would be Tua's run capability that could potentially keep the drives alive. Kahuku's weakest link is the Middle LBs who seems to get caught up in traffic when blitzing and unable to cover the middle of the field. Kapolei spread the field and took advantage of kahuku's inability to pressure the Qb who dumped the ball over the middle for huge gains. Should the pocket collapse And he decides to take off it could be all long night for big red. They need to contain him and force him to throw the ball if they have any chance at slowing him down.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Kahuku's biggest concern is not only Tua, but containing Young. That kid plays tough, if the Oline can slow down their Dline and LB that blitz, they have a shot at the title. If not, Kahuku is going win this game. Kahuku is a more discipline (as far as coverages and reading an offense) and physical defense than Punahou which is the only team other than Kahuku to have beaten STL in the last 3 years of Tuaman's career. They're going to be spying on him all night so he doesn't scramble for big gains and they're going to be putting all kinds of pressure on him to force him to throw early. So like I said, if the O-Line can hold their D-Line and Linebackers blitzing, Saint Louis has a chance. If they win, that's who will be the players of the game. Excited for this weekend.

But in regards to Kapolei, not being pressured from Kahuku, you might be mistaking that for Punahou because they had ZERO pressure against Taulia that night and Kapolei dumped it over the middle all game. Against Kahuku, they were throwing outs all game. Then Second half they shut that down real quick and Taulia started to make bad throws due to the pressure.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote:Kahuku's biggest concern is not only Tua, but containing Young. That kid plays tough, if the Oline can slow down their Dline and LB that blitz, they have a shot at the title. If not, Kahuku is going win this game. Kahuku is a more discipline (as far as coverages and reading an offense) and physical defense than Punahou which is the only team other than Kahuku to have beaten STL in the last 3 years of Tuaman's career. They're going to be spying on him all night so he doesn't scramble for big gains and they're going to be putting all kinds of pressure on him to force him to throw early. So like I said, if the O-Line can hold their D-Line and Linebackers blitzing, Saint Louis has a chance. If they win, that's who will be the players of the game. Excited for this weekend.

But in regards to Kapolei, not being pressured from Kahuku, you might be mistaking that for Punahou because they had ZERO pressure against Taulia that night and Kapolei dumped it over the middle all game. Against Kahuku, they were throwing outs all game. Then Second half they shut that down real quick and Taulia started to make bad throws due to the pressure.
That's the second time poor defensive schemes have cost us in the playoffs (Mililani).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote:Kahuku's biggest concern is not only Tua, but containing Young. That kid plays tough, if the Oline can slow down their Dline and LB that blitz, they have a shot at the title. If not, Kahuku is going win this game. Kahuku is a more discipline (as far as coverages and reading an offense) and physical defense than Punahou which is the only team other than Kahuku to have beaten STL in the last 3 years of Tuaman's career. They're going to be spying on him all night so he doesn't scramble for big gains and they're going to be putting all kinds of pressure on him to force him to throw early. So like I said, if the O-Line can hold their D-Line and Linebackers blitzing, Saint Louis has a chance. If they win, that's who will be the players of the game. Excited for this weekend.

Yes!! I agree....the game will be st. Louis ol v. kahuku d front and lbs, and it will also be kahuku ol v. st. Louis d front and lbs. Waianae is probably top 3, as far as defensive front and lbs, they're up there with kam and kahuku. The st. Louis ol did a great job in making them a non factor in last weeks game. On the other side of that, the kahuku ol did what they wanted to do against kapoleis dl and lbs. And both st. Louis' and kahuku's Defenses played shut down D last week also. I'm also excited about this weekend.....hoping for 3 great games.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Rehash.
Kahuku 42. St.Louis 21
Mililani 45 Iolani 35
Kapaa 28. Lahainaluna 21

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Wow, eating crow. Lol. That was a great game, defensively. Tua got 1 year smarter,faster,confident and stronger. What a way to go out in style. Many times he played the game within the game. Checking his spy who was not as fast as last year. Well the monkey and the target is back on St.Louis back. Enjoy it and congratulations St.Louis you guys deserve and earned it.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Oh, and congratulations to Coach Cal Lee way to bounce back.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I wouldn't have thought that Kahuku's defense could be broken. Congrats to Cal Lee and team.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

My3Cats wrote:I wouldn't have thought that Kahuku's defense could be broken. Congrats to Cal Lee and team.
Who would've thought right? They had a game plan but didn't really make adjustments.
Tua played a great game.
Congrats to St Louis.
Back to work Big Red and bring it home next year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

rrforlifebaby wrote:
My3Cats wrote:I wouldn't have thought that Kahuku's defense could be broken. Congrats to Cal Lee and team.
Who would've thought right? They had a game plan but didn't really make adjustments.
Tua played a great game.
Congrats to St Louis.
I think if you threw STL off with passing completions the way you did against us in 2011 and 2012, that would've given you more of a chance. I think positively of most Kahuku fans and know that Coach Torres would've loved to see you win last night.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I agree, a couple of completions would've been nice, but last nights Crusader D did a good job. That fumble into the end zone took away alot of momentum. Win some lose some. Big Red still gave our community another memorable season though. Much love to our Boyz!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote:
Tua played a great game.
Congrats to St Louis.
@rrforlifebaby: They might have a chance next year. Their QB was only a freshman, so he'll probably be back better. Their JV lost a close championship game to Waianae in overtime, was it? So, they'll have a good JV coming-up. Only problem: The secondary. Most of the DBs were seniors, right? They're gone.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote:
Tua played a great game.
Congrats to St Louis.
I think if you threw STL off with passing completions the way you did against us in 2011 and 2012, that would've given you more of a chance. I think positively of most Kahuku fans and know that Coach Torres would've loved to see you win last night.
@gopunahou: Well, of course Kahuku's fans would have loved to see their school win. I would have preferred they won, too; I'd rather have Kahuku than St Louis. And of course, Torres is a Kahuku alumnus. As for Kahuku's pass game, well, they had a freshman QB, so...