2016 Football Championships

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: 2016 Football Championships

Post by rrforlifebaby »

TheKrew808 wrote:I really think Kahuku abandoned their game plan and left the door open for the crusaders. No changes and run it down thier throat, and they would have the title. Crusaders are really stacked too but unheard of because of no tv exposure. But if you watched kids football you would know these kids from big boys/ pop warner are all studs too. So it was not a surprise for me to see Crusaders win it all. Both teams are full of beast and made Hawaii ballers look well represented. As far as the Haka, it was told to me by a official that it wasn't banned but only they could not go onto the field and face the opponent and perform the Haka. Who ever did
They would be Ejected. They could have done it on the sidelines facing thier crowd. But tata was afraid of them getting pumped and turning around. I'm already missing football and stating my pick for next year..With sls returning 9 starters on D. And the 2nd string qb returning with A bunch of slots and rcvrs.
My money is on the Crusaders! Send all wagers to P O box 8975309 hahaha!! Oh yeah Cmon UH send Offers to our local boys so they stay home!! Always waiting till late..
I Agree, I'm already missing high school football.
With their studs on Defense returning next year, I understand why some people have the Crusaders as the early favorites.
Big Red loses alot(again), especially in the secondary, but they do have some really good ballahs coming back on both sides of the ball...I hope Sol-Jay doesn't transfer....And with the JV kids moving up, I like our chances to bring the title back to the country.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

TheKrew808 wrote:I really think Kahuku abandoned their game plan and left the door open for the crusaders. No changes and run it down thier throat, and they would have the title. Crusaders are really stacked too but unheard of because of no tv exposure. But if you watched kids football you would know these kids from big boys/ pop warner are all studs too. So it was not a surprise for me to see Crusaders win it all. Both teams are full of beast and made Hawaii ballers look well represented. As far as the Haka, it was told to me by a official that it wasn't banned but only they could not go onto the field and face the opponent and perform the Haka. Who ever did
They would be Ejected. They could have done it on the sidelines facing thier crowd. But tata was afraid of them getting pumped and turning around. I'm already missing football and stating my pick for next year..With sls returning 9 starters on D. And the 2nd string qb returning with A bunch of slots and rcvrs.
My money is on the Crusaders! Send all wagers to P O box 8975309 hahaha!! Oh yeah Cmon UH send Offers to our local boys so they stay home!! Always waiting till late..
@TheKrew808: Well, why did Tata abandon the game plan? I would think it should have been obvious that you want to stay with the run game because 1.) You are a run-oriented team, and 2.) The run game eats more clock, which gives Tagovailoa less time on the field.
Of course, the Kahuku player fumbling in the end zone didn't help.
I don't know about St Louis repeating next year. I think it will be Kahuku. Having said that, though, Kahuku is going to have to replenish their secondary; I understand that all but one of the starters were seniors. I hope they have underclassmen who were on the bench who can step-up, and/or DBs on the JV who can. I think the JV lost a close title-game to Waianae in OT, losing by less than a TD.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

I totally agree, certain parts of that game as far as play calling were interesting. Should've stuck with the run in certain situations. They had no passing game going for them, O-line couldn't hold during those plays. Saint Louis was the better team that night. Saint Louis gave Kahuku so much opportunities and Kahuku couldn't capitalize because in reality, Tua had about 5 big plays and that's all he needed to win.

As far as next year. I would be shocked if Saint Louis repeats. Yes they have a load of returnees coming back next year on the defensive side, but what has been a constant the last 3 years was having Tua at QB. If their back up QB can perform just as well as him next year, they have a shot. BUT throughout the years, it was obvious when Tua was off the field. They couldn't afford to not him on the field.

The biggest sleeper next year will probably be Punahou. One of the younger teams I believe from this year. They have at least 7 returnees from both sides of the ball with a really tough QB coming back,

Kamehameha is always the wildcard, they always have a tough team but I wonder if the new coach can string it together with 2 returning QB's coming back.

As far as Kahuku, they'll be solid as always. Someone will step up and play big time Kahuku football. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the OIA championship.

I think the biggest threat next year in the OIA will be Kapolei. 1 year under June Jones and their offense has made strides. So next year should be a really good battle in the OIA.

Anyone think they'll actually combine leagues after seeing how much good games there was during the State Tournament?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote:I totally agree, certain parts of that game as far as play calling were interesting. Should've stuck with the run in certain situations. They had no passing game going for them, O-line couldn't hold during those plays. Saint Louis was the better team that night. Saint Louis gave Kahuku so much opportunities and Kahuku couldn't capitalize because in reality, Tua had about 5 big plays and that's all he needed to win.

As far as next year. I would be shocked if Saint Louis repeats. Yes they have a load of returnees coming back next year on the defensive side, but what has been a constant the last 3 years was having Tua at QB. If their back up QB can perform just as well as him next year, they have a shot. BUT throughout the years, it was obvious when Tua was off the field. They couldn't afford to not him on the field.

The biggest sleeper next year will probably be Punahou. One of the younger teams I believe from this year. They have at least 7 returnees from both sides of the ball with a really tough QB coming back,

Kamehameha is always the wildcard, they always have a tough team but I wonder if the new coach can string it together with 2 returning QB's coming back.

As far as Kahuku, they'll be solid as always. Someone will step up and play big time Kahuku football. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the OIA championship.

I think the biggest threat next year in the OIA will be Kapolei. 1 year under June Jones and their offense has made strides. So next year should be a really good battle in the OIA.

Anyone think they'll actually combine leagues after seeing how much good games there was during the State Tournament?
@ka'ahupahau706:
Yes, a number of guys are saying that Kahuku's complete lack of a pass-game against St Louis hurt them. But, couldn't they have won with the run-game alone? I think so, but that doggone end-zone fumble was such a killer.

Agree that St Louis would be hard-put to repeat. Not only do they lose Tua; they don't have a run-game, unless they have a good RB coming-up from JV? I think their best vars RB--Silofau--graduates this year. St Louis won the ILH JV title, but that usually takes a couple of years to have an effect on the vars.

Punahou? I thought they were a veteran team? Doesn't that mean lots of seniors? They lose Kapule and Suguturaga to graduation; those two alone were Punahou's best player on O and best player on D, respectively. Punahou wasn't JV champ, either. While I don't think St Louis will take state Open again, I think they'll beat Punahou for the ILH D1 title.

Kamehameha returns QB Yam, who's fairly outstanding. Good arm and good runner, though he can't run like St Louis' Tua. They also return their best RB, Kanoa Shannon. Aside from those two, I don't know what else they have coming back.

Kapolei might be scary, because they have Tau back at QB. As for Jones: What if St Louis' Cal Lee hangs it up. Would St Louis grab Jones? If they offered Jones the HC position, wouldn't he take it? I.e., I don't think we can be absolutely certain that Jones will be back with Kapolei. You would think he'd rather be an HC than merely an OC. All depends on what Cal Lee decides to do. I think he's 70 now (Kalani Class of '64?), and since he won the state Open title, what if he decides that it would be a good time to hang it up and go out a winner? I would think that if any Oahu high-school loses its football HC, it would try to recruit Jones. I mean, the guy is a legit college--perhaps even pro--HC. Don't you think Jones is good enough to be a pro HC? I mean, the guy has so much experience, and knows the game so well, I heard he gives advice to all the football staff at Kapolei, even though he's only the OC there. I mean, hello: He was HC at UH and SMU.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Yes they could've won with only the run game. I totally agree, they have 8 other state championships in the state championship era to prove that. That fumble started the snowball that they couldn't recover from. They were in control of that game up until that point.

ILH JV doesn't really mean anything, you win a title there doesn't mean you'll win on Vars. I'm pretty sure every year STL win's that title with 3 State Title's to show for it. I'm not counting prep-bowl because everyone in the country knows they won that bout hands down. Silofau does graduate but did he really play much this year? I didn't hear his name at all the whole season so I thought he was injured or something. Ronson Young was their best runner and he graduates. Their defense is a very solid bunch though. Their DLine too me will be their strongest unit. Tuitele and company were solid this year!

Yes Punahou was veteran squad Kapule and Suguturaga were both POY in the ILH. They were stacked in regards on offense. All of their receivers were seniors and Kapule was a senior. But they return another solid group that will be seniors and juniors at the receiving corp from what I seen that would have started any other place as well. Kapule will be replaced by Stephen Barber who currently holds an offer from UH and other interests from other D1 schools. He's a tough QB and could honestly have started at any other school this past year as well. Punahou JV is always terrible but for some reason on Vars they produce. All starters on Oline and RB returns. As for defense, they graduate 5 starting seniors I believe. With a handful of solid players on Defense coming up from what I heard.

Kamehameha will always be one of those teams who has the athletes but no coaching. So we'll see what they can produce next year. You just cant count them out of the conversation until you see them play one of the other ILH teams. Yam and Young are solid so however Abu utilizes them will be interesting.

Kapolei will be scary if June Jones comes back, but from what I heard from their coaches, he's there to stay regardless if Lee retires. STL doesn't have the money to pay him big time to coach there, I'm pretty sure Kapolei isn't paying much either so he's there for the love of coaching, guarantee. Also I think in his position him and Hernandez are building a program and I think that's what Jones enjoys. He's done it before with UH. STL is already at the top of the pedigree and he was already helping at STL prior to Kapolei. I'm sure Jones is helping everyone grow at Kapolei. But you never know in High School football. He could take the position and he would win every single game probably and it's closer drive for him. You never know. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the job, but as of now I heard he's there to stay. Also if Lee retires, I would think one of their assistants would take the job? I think one of their assistants at STL was running the team when Lee was in the hospital.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote:Yes they could've won with only the run game. I totally agree, they have 8 other state championships in the state championship era to prove that. That fumble started the snowball that they couldn't recover from. They were in control of that game up until that point.

ILH JV doesn't really mean anything, you win a title there doesn't mean you'll win on Vars. I'm pretty sure every year STL win's that title with 3 State Title's to show for it. I'm not counting prep-bowl because everyone in the country knows they won that bout hands down. Silofau does graduate but did he really play much this year? I didn't hear his name at all the whole season so I thought he was injured or something. Ronson Young was their best runner and he graduates. Their defense is a very solid bunch though. Their DLine too me will be their strongest unit. Tuitele and company were solid this year!

Yes Punahou was veteran squad Kapule and Suguturaga were both POY in the ILH. They were stacked in regards on offense. All of their receivers were seniors and Kapule was a senior. But they return another solid group that will be seniors and juniors at the receiving corp from what I seen that would have started any other place as well. Kapule will be replaced by Stephen Barber who currently holds an offer from UH and other interests from other D1 schools. He's a tough QB and could honestly have started at any other school this past year as well. Punahou JV is always terrible but for some reason on Vars they produce. All starters on Oline and RB returns. As for defense, they graduate 5 starting seniors I believe. With a handful of solid players on Defense coming up from what I heard.

Kamehameha will always be one of those teams who has the athletes but no coaching. So we'll see what they can produce next year. You just cant count them out of the conversation until you see them play one of the other ILH teams. Yam and Young are solid so however Abu utilizes them will be interesting.

Kapolei will be scary if June Jones comes back, but from what I heard from their coaches, he's there to stay regardless if Lee retires. STL doesn't have the money to pay him big time to coach there, I'm pretty sure Kapolei isn't paying much either so he's there for the love of coaching, guarantee. Also I think in his position him and Hernandez are building a program and I think that's what Jones enjoys. He's done it before with UH. STL is already at the top of the pedigree and he was already helping at STL prior to Kapolei. I'm sure Jones is helping everyone grow at Kapolei. But you never know in High School football. He could take the position and he would win every single game probably and it's closer drive for him. You never know. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the job, but as of now I heard he's there to stay. Also if Lee retires, I would think one of their assistants would take the job? I think one of their assistants at STL was running the team when Lee was in the hospital.
@ka'ahupahau706:
Yeah, I guess I agree that a JV title doesn't necessarily add-up to a whole bunch of beans, whether in the ILH or the OIA. I think one reason is that on the vars, everything--the players and the plays--moves faster than on JV.

I guess you've made a case for Punahou taking the ILH next year. I hope St Louis wins it instead.

As for Kamehameha, I hope Maafala does a better job next year. Actually, I don't think he sucks, but when you're up against guys like Cal Lee, well...
I think Kamehameha's D played very well for most of the season, and Maafala doubled as DC. You mentioned Young at QB; I had forgotten about him. Yeah, he's pretty good too. I think he's the better runner than Yam, whereas Yam is the better passer? Or was it the other way around? Anyway, yes, Kamehameha returns a good one-two punch at QB next year, and their best RB.

Yes, I, too, heard that Jones has $, so $ isn't a consideration for him. However, I'm really surprised to hear that he might be "committed" to Kapolei. I mean, aside from Tau, I don't see why he should feel compelled to stay there. I mean, he's not an alumnus of the school, for one. In fact, Jones graduated from high school 29 years before Kapolei High was even founded. I appreciate that Jones might want a part in building a program, but Kapolei has already been playing football for some thirteen years. Obviously, I can't speak for Jones, but I would hope he would gravitate to a high-school that offers him an HC position. Again, I think Jones is simply too prominent a coach to limit himself to an OC. I think he deserves to be an HC. We're talking high school football, and to me it seems almost "below his dignity" for Jones to be anything less than an HC. But again, I can't speak for him.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

So many things going on here. If you want to be the man you have to beat the man. St.Louis is the man this year,and they will probably start fast enough to stay No.1 early 2017 depending on whether or not they catch another St.John Bosco caliber opponent early fall 2017.Crusader D gonna be tough,maybe best in state next year... But,offensively,they have major holes to fill.

I think if Coach Tata doesn't open up the playbook in the passing game,Kahuku gonna lose their QB,plain and simple.In three years,if all the kid has done is hand off the ball, Harbaugh is going to have other QB prospects with much better passing stats to give priority to in recruitment.

Punahou. Barber is going to pick up where Kapule left off at QB for the Puns. Punahou again will be better balanced than St.Louis ,just like the last two years, but Cal found a way.

Of course, Cal may not be around next year. I think we will know pretty soon. The Lee brothers will most likely not want to leave St. Louis in the lurch by delaying a retirement decision to the point where the admins would have to start a coaching search during 2017 spring practice. If the Lee brothers do retire , I expect they would inform the school no later than the end of January,so that a hiring process could begin and get a new HC in place before spring drills.JMO.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:So many things going on here. If you want to be the man you have to beat the man. St.Louis is the man this year,and they will probably start fast enough to stay No.1 early 2017 depending on whether or not they catch another St.John Bosco caliber opponent early fall 2017.Crusader D gonna be tough,maybe best in state next year... But,offensively,they have major holes to fill.

I think if Coach Tata doesn't open up the playbook in the passing game,Kahuku gonna lose their QB,plain and simple.In three years,if all the kid has done is hand off the ball, Harbaugh is going to have other QB prospects with much better passing stats to give priority to in recruitment.

Punahou. Barber is going to pick up where Kapule left off at QB for the Puns. Punahou again will be better balanced than St.Louis ,just like the last two years, but Cal found a way.

Of course, Cal may not be around next year. I think we will know pretty soon. The Lee brothers will most likely not want to leave St. Louis in the lurch by delaying a retirement decision to the point where the admins would have to start a coaching search during 2017 spring practice. If the Lee brothers do retire , I expect they would inform the school no later than the end of January,so that a hiring process could begin and get a new HC in place before spring drills.JMO.
@unpaid: You've made some very interesting observations. That St Louis will have possibly the best D in the state, that's saying a lot. How about Kahuku's D? I know they're losing almost all of their DBs, but, how good will St Louis' DBs be?

At Kahuku, Tata will have a returning QB who'll be only a sophomore. If Tata does have him throw more, how are Kahuku's receivers?

If Punahou will be better-balanced than St Louis, does that mean they'll have a run game? Who would Punahou's best RB be?

In some ways, I guess it would be something of a shock if Cal Lee retires. He's certainly old enough, but he's been around Hawaii high-school football for so long--and made such an indelible mark--that I think Hawaii's high-school football scene would seem very different without him. Obviously, St Louis would feel the loss most keenly. Lee really put St Louis' football team on the map, and he had been there for so long, even when you count the brief hiatus when he was an assistant-coach at UH.

TheKrew808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TheKrew808 »

St. Louis juniors have not loss a championship to kam or puns from 7 grade in football..inter,JV, and vars. Inter and JV championships was won with chevan the jr qb. Tua was already at vars. And with this years JV team winning the ship. I don't see them losing to anybody in the ILH next year. The last 3 games of this season was called by Wes not cal..So it will be the same result with or without cal..They have a fleet of linebackers so I would move toilolo to runninback which was his actual position and the run game will be secure. He's a better running back then linebacker and had asked this year to move but was told no by Cal. I'm not a coach but have trained a lot of these kids in the gym and will put my money on it being St. Louis vs Kahuku again...Ok just my thoughts and opinion!! Are we crazy to still be talking football? Hahaha who's even ranked 1 at bball? Hope u all have a great holiday season!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheKrew808 wrote:St. Louis juniors have not loss a championship to kam or puns from 7 grade in football..inter,JV, and vars. Inter and JV championships was won with chevan the jr qb. Tua was already at vars. And with this years JV team winning the ship. I don't see them losing to anybody in the ILH next year. The last 3 games of this season was called by Wes not cal..So it will be the same result with or without cal..They have a fleet of linebackers so I would move toilolo to runninback which was his actual position and the run game will be secure. He's a better running back then linebacker and had asked this year to move but was told no by Cal. I'm not a coach but have trained a lot of these kids in the gym and will put my money on it being St. Louis vs Kahuku again...Ok just my thoughts and opinion!! Are we crazy to still be talking football? Hahaha who's even ranked 1 at bball? Hope u all have a great holiday season!
@TheKrew808: Actually, Kamehameha took the JV football title last year, not that it helped their vars this year. Well, I'll tell you what: I really didn't want St Louis to win the state Open crown, but I'd actually be OK if they win the ILH again next year. I mean, while I'd rather have Kahuku than St Louis, I'd rather have St Louis than Punahou. I'd rather have Kamehameha than St Louis, but it seems Kamehameha never wins the ILH. (Well, they haven't won it for seven years, and they probably won't win it next year, either.)
And, that's right, Wes Tufaga filled-in for Cal Lee while he was out for his kidney stones. So, if Lee does hang it up, you think St Louis would appoint Tufaga? Would they not even offer the position to June Jones? I do suspect Lee would recommend Tufaga, but would that stop the school from looking at Jones? I mean, Jones has the best football-coaching credentials in the state. Lee would probably come-in second. Jones is certainly held in higher regard than even UH's Rolo.
As for basketball: While I haven't seen any pre-season polls yet, I'm 99.9% certain that Iolani would be ranked #1, and I'm not exactly thrilled about that. I'm hoping that some school can knock them off, maybe Kahuku? I don't think any other school can, at least on Oahu. I wonder if Kamehameha Big Island is any good this year; they're usually the best of the outer-island teams. Aside from them, I can't think of any other outer-island school that might be able to knock-off Iolani.

TheKrew808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TheKrew808 »

Sorry meant this years JV won..and meant the 2018 class has never loss to the other 2018s..oh and I heard June jones was on campus..I think he takes over..

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Well looks like June Jones will be working admin for athletics... uh oh! Saint Louis might have a new coach! Game changer in the ILH!

But as far as Tufaga, I could see him as a head coach. He did really well with the team the last few games for Saint Louis. I would love to see Toilolo run the ball, that kid is a hammer!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheKrew808 wrote:Sorry meant this years JV won..and meant the 2018 class has never loss to the other 2018s..oh and I heard June jones was on campus..I think he takes over..
@TheKrew808: According to the new thread on this message-board, Jones won't be HC; he won't even be coaching. He'll be with athletic dept administration, but not as AD. Could this be a sign that Cal Lee will retire, and Tufaga takes-over as HC? Is there "enough room" at St Louis for Lee and Jones? Would there be "enough room" at any high school for the two of them? They're both great football coaches who are household names throughout the state. I'm sure each has a major following; might those followings "collide" at St Louis? Might there be friction or rivalry between the two camps? Talk about "office politics." The interesting thing, too, is that neither Jones nor Lee is a St Louis alumnus.

TheKrew808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TheKrew808 »

Jones was already at St. Louis Last year as a video coach..moved to kapolei to help out Tuas dad who was kapoleis OC. The dad took a year off to help tua with recruiting choices etc..it was a one year deal..Tuas dad was to return and take back the OC JOB.
But now there is talk that they may move to the mainland..

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheKrew808 wrote:Jones was already at St. Louis Last year as a video coach..moved to kapolei to help out Tuas dad who was kapoleis OC. The dad took a year off to help tua with recruiting choices etc..it was a one year deal..Tuas dad was to return and take back the OC JOB.
But now there is talk that they may move to the mainland..
@TheKrew808: Well, if they do move to the mainland, Kapolei is screwed. You figure Tau was what, half of Kapolei's O? Not only that; presumably Kapolei loses Jones, too. Double-screwed. Kapolei would be thrown under the bus.