Wrestling 2016

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
2Cents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Wrestling 2016

Post by 2Cents »

Mochi Ball wrote:
Opihiman wrote:What weight class is Rapoza and what grade? Does he do judo as well?
He's a senior but, not sure what weight class he's entering at. I don't think he does judo currently in high school (haven't seen um) but, has done judo in his younger years for Tenri Judo Club.

So basically he hasn't wrestled or done judo in high school but did it as a kid, has a sister who is a good wrestler, and is a QB. This is what make him a "dark horse"? Oh I forgot you have to know his history. Sounds like a lot of pressure for a kid who is probably very athletic and just wants to wrestling his senior year. Although if he is in the upper weights that could be enough.

wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by wrestling808 »

Mochi Ball wrote:
clappingforyou wrote:Are you talking about Bishop Rapoza the QB from Farrington? Has he wrestled before? If he never wrestled before, would be kinda hard to consider him a dark horse imho
Yes, same kid. Those who know Rapoza knows his history and background. Yes, dark horse.

So why so much talk about this kid? If he does great, right on. If he doesn't do so well, right on. There are so many wrestlers who put in the time and pain. So why are we talking about this kid? Let's focus on the true wrestling kids.

Unless this dude is going to wrestle with the girls why is he being compared to his sister Bree Rapoza? What happened to Bree at Missouri Baptist? She wasn't listed on their roster after her sophomore year.

Mochi Ball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mochi Ball »

wrestling808 wrote:
Mochi Ball wrote:
clappingforyou wrote:Are you talking about Bishop Rapoza the QB from Farrington? Has he wrestled before? If he never wrestled before, would be kinda hard to consider him a dark horse imho
Yes, same kid. Those who know Rapoza knows his history and background. Yes, dark horse.

So why so much talk about this kid? If he does great, right on. If he doesn't do so well, right on. There are so many wrestlers who put in the time and pain. So why are we talking about this kid? Let's focus on the true wrestling kids.

Unless this dude is going to wrestle with the girls why is he being compared to his sister Bree Rapoza? What happened to Bree at Missouri Baptist? She wasn't listed on their roster after her sophomore year.
Yeah ok well just see how it goes. Not sure what happened to his sister.

Opihiman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Opihiman »

Don’t know all the big boys and who graduated so only put those that I knew still wrestled. Just throwing something out to start a discussion on the boys. Please add and rearrange. I based this mostly on wrestlers previous performances that I found at Sportshigh.com and those I thought could be contenders. Don’t know enough to rank the top 6 per weight class or who is going where this year. Need input from coaches, parents and insiders.

P4P
1. Corey Cabanban, St. Louis - 2X State Champ
2. KJ Pascua, Iolani - 1X State Champ, 2X 2nd (only losses to a 3X Braden Akeo and a 2X State Liam Corbett)
3. Tristan Santos, Campbell - 1X State Champ, 2nd (loss to 2X Corey Cabanban)
4. Dane Yamashiro, Iolani - 1X State Champ, 2X Judo State Champ
5. Logan Garcia, Moanalua - 1X State Champ
6. Anthony Ruiz, Moanalua - 2X 3rd, 4th (top returning in weight class due to graduation)
7. Joe Fong, University - 2nd, 4th
8. Kainalu Estrella, Lahaina - 2nd (top returning in weight class due to graduation), 3rd
9. Sai Fantanu, Iolani - 2nd (top returning in weight class due to graduation)
10. Jayson Pagurayan, Kapolei – 2nd, 3rd, 6th, Judo State Champ

On the radar:
Landon Obra, Damien – 2nd
Zayren Terukina, Campbell - (top returning in weight class due to graduation) 3rd
Alex Mimura, Mid Pacific – (top returning in weight class due to graduation) 3rd, 6th
Kaua Nishigaya, Iolani - 3rd
Andre Pagurayan, Kapolei - 3rd, Judo State Champ
Lincoln Mussell, HBA - (top returning in weight class due to graduation) 4th
Isaac Stalcup, Leilehua - 4th
Nick Stefanelli, Punahou - 4th
Nicholas Kim, Mililani – 4th

Freshman to watch:
Kysen Terukina, Kamehameha Kapalama
Ansen Ursua, St. Louis
Koali Nishigaya, St. Louis

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by stonecoldstunner »

stonecoldstunner wrote:
clappingforyou wrote:
wrestlingfan_808 wrote:I heard rumors about Roosevelt hosting a tournament on their football field on 11/19. An outdoor tournament should be interesting. Can anyone confirm?
Do you have any more info? Who are they wrestling? What time? Very interesting.
Not a rumor. They are hosting a 4 team tournament on 11/19 at the stadium. Roosevelt, Moanalua, Campbell and Leilehua are the teams involved, not sure of the format. Supposed to be "under the lights", so evening start for the main event. If I hear any more time wise, I'll throw it up.
Event starts tomorrow evening at 5:30. Scheduled to be held at the stadium, "under the lights". I'm assuming if the weather doesn't cooperate, they'll move it into the gym. Hopefully all the schools bring their best out to play tomorrow night. Either way, first meet of the season should be fun.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

stonecoldstunner wrote:
stonecoldstunner wrote:
clappingforyou wrote:
Do you have any more info? Who are they wrestling? What time? Very interesting.
Not a rumor. They are hosting a 4 team tournament on 11/19 at the stadium. Roosevelt, Moanalua, Campbell and Leilehua are the teams involved, not sure of the format. Supposed to be "under the lights", so evening start for the main event. If I hear any more time wise, I'll throw it up.
Event starts tomorrow evening at 5:30. Scheduled to be held at the stadium, "under the lights". I'm assuming if the weather doesn't cooperate, they'll move it into the gym. Hopefully all the schools bring their best out to play tomorrow night. Either way, first meet of the season should be fun.
How's the weather?

Hawaiianeye
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaiianeye »

any results on the roosevelt tourny

clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by clappingforyou »

Hawaiianeye wrote:any results on the roosevelt tourny
I guess none of us on here went to the event. But I heard it was pretty good...

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

clappingforyou wrote:
I was getting blasted with my friends watching Saint Louis vs. Kahuku. You'd figure Roosevelt would post results. This is the greatest weakness in local wrestling, no news!!!!!

HawaiiWrestling808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiWrestling808 »

Kama wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:
stonecoldstunner wrote:Since no one seems to know much about the girls side, let's start with this....

97 - Navarro (LAH), Higa (MOA), Hoshino (PUN)
102 - Gooman (KSK), Ikei (KAS), Mai (ROS)
107 - Navarro (LAH), Abe (PEC), Ilac-Wong (HON)
112 - Higa (ROS), Encinas (LAH), Ichimura (PUN)
117 - Futa (KSK), Mahoe (KPO), Pineda-Abaya (KLN)
122 - Carlson (WAN), Alo (KAH)?, Ikei (KAS)
127 - Pasion (STF), Okubo (MOA), Vierra (KSK)
132 - Barcina (KAH), Kauhola (AIE), Hayase (LAH)
138 - Kano (KPO), Kaka (KAH), Spencer (CAS)
145 - Peralta (RAD), Araki (KSH)
155 - Corbett (LEI), Wright (CAM)
168 - Fuamatu (PEC), Kala (BAL), Ayers (KEU)
184 - Kaaihue (NAN), Miyamoto (LAH)
225 - Young (STF), Keopuhiwa (WAN), Umu (KEA)

These are just the top placers from last years state championships. I excluded those that I'm pretty sure have graduated. I believe the majority of the girls listed are returning this season. I'm also completely guessing on a few so please make corrections if they have graduated. Or if you feel I've left anyone out, please include them.
138 - Kano Graduated
155 - Wright Graduated

I hear from a little birdie that Corbett called out Peralta to come up to 155... [-X

Ilan-Wong also graduated.

Corbett vs. Peralta would be nice to watch. The last time they wrestled was last year and Peralta won 14-0 at 155
Correction when they wrestle last year Peralta won 8-3 at the kalani round robin tournament but that would be a great match to watch again.

HawaiiWrestling808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiWrestling808 »

I know it is really early in the season, but since the season is officaly starting this weekend. What are your guys P4P rankings for girls and boys?

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by stonecoldstunner »

clappingforyou wrote:
I made it there a little bit late and missed some wrestling, but from what I saw, it was pretty good. First of all, the event was moved to the gym because the weather was awful, so it started a bit later than scheduled. Otherwise, the Roosevelt staff adjusted on the fly pretty well and the tournament moved along smoothly throughout. It's actually kind of a cool venue because the gym is so small. Not really a bad seat in the house and you're right on top of the mats. Reminded me of watching Wahine volleyball at Klum Gym back in the day. JV matches for boys and girls were first, followed by varsity. They had two mats running concurrently, boys on one and girls on the other. From what I gathered, the main event format was supposed to be Roosevelt vs. Moanalua on the girls side with Leilehua and Campbell girls filling in and Leilehua vs. Campbell on the boys side with Roosevelt and Moanalua filling in.

It was tough watching both mats so I know I missed some action. On the boys side, I missed Santos and I don't think Garcia wrestled. The Wusstig brothers both did really well and dominated the Roosevelt boys they played. There was a spirited match between Roosevelt and Campbell at 170(?) that went down to the wire. Roosevelt boy got a takedown in the last 10 seconds and held on to win by 1, I think. Somehow, I missed Terukina's match. Bathroom break maybe. Or watching girls side. On the girls side, Roosevelt looks like they picked up where they left off last season. They squared off against Moanalua in the majority of matches and won most of those, I think the tally might have been 6-2 or something close to that. Corbett was dominant in her match against Moanalua. Higa appeared to start slow, but eventually worked for a pin against her Moanalua opponent. Mai (ROS) beat Leong (LEI) in the final girls match of the night.

Overall, good start to the season. And congratulations to Roosevelt for putting on a successful tournament. We'll see if it's something they continue to do.

Hawaiianeye
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaiianeye »

i was told that Terukina won by pin. After much thought my P4P boys Corey Cabanban and girls Angela Peralta.

2Cents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 2Cents »

Results?

Three OIA sites today. ILH? MIL? BIIF? KIF?

:hello1:

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

I was able to make the Kalani tournament for a couple of hours. Farrington, Kalani, Castle, Campbell, Roosevelt and Redford were there. I think I got all of teams. It would be great if there were a flyer to give an overview of the tournament. I noticed a lot of new wrestlers which resulted in less competitive matches. A lot of the newbies were given their formal introduction to wrestling reality. There were a lot of boys and girls that needed medical help from getting the wind knocked out of them as well as a few shoulder injuries. I always seem to be sitting on the wrong side of the gym when good matches take place. This happened when Tristin Santos and Kapolei got it on. Kapolei won the match but Santos did look much more aggressive than last year. It should be an interesting rematch in the coming weeks. Campbell's Terukina won all of the matches I saw. I was looking out for the Farrington wrestler Rapoza that was being posted about but I didn't see anyone that looked to be him. I did notice a lack of coaches for Campbell. I hope they get some help.

On the girls side the team that stood out for me was Roosevelt. Very consistent and talented is how I would describe them and they look tough to beat. Campbell's girls team appear to be in the rebuilding phase. Maybe in a few years they'll be back challenging for a championship. The top wrestler that stood out for me was Angela Peralta from Radford. She looks really muscular, athletic and technically poised compared to last year. She toyed with her opponents and it reminded me of what Teshya Alo did for the past 4 years in all of her matches. I would agree that she is the P4P to girl in the state. It looks like coach Ariola has created another champion.

Aside from the wrestling I wish the snack bar was open, because I was really hungry and there was nothing to eat!