Wrestling 2016

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
2Cents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Wrestling 2016

Post by 2Cents »

Let's get ready to RUMBLE!

New year, a lot of state placers graduated. Who are the new names to watch? Who are the power house schools? I will throw some things out there... not totally sure if i'm 100% right but that's what you all are for right? :D

-Pascua, Iolani returns after his close loss to Corbett at 152, 2015 champ (my pound for pound at this early stage)
-Cabanban, St Louis returning state champ at 113, two time?
-Santos, Campbell returns 2016 113 runner up, 2015 champ?
-Garcia, Moanaloa 2016 champ 106

Some other thoughts:
-Paguran twins, Kapolei - heard they turn 19 during the season, can a 19 year old wrestle? In the past they couldn't. What's the rule?
-Returning placers that should make some noise - Terukina, Campbell, Nishigaya, St Louis, Stefanelli, Punahou, Stalcup, Leilehua, Estrella, Lahaina, Kim, Mililani, Damien kid (name?) at 106, others?
-New freshman - Younger Nishigaya, others?

Not sure about girls but i'm sure someone out there knows. Let's get the chatter going, it's a shorter, earlier season this year. :hello1:

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Wrestling 2016

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@2cents: Which schools do you pick to take the state titles (boys' and girls')?

2Cents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 2Cents »

Not sure of any line ups... but

Boy contenders - Iolani, Punahou, maybe St. Louis. OIA was strong last year but I think quite a few graduated. I would say it's an ILH year.
Girls - no idea

clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by clappingforyou »

Punahou had 4 qualifiers to state last year. Moanalua is the more likely contender. Leilehua is on the rise and Campbell is usually tough.
But...it's Iolani's year with not much debate. They should walk away with it on the boys side.

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by stonecoldstunner »

In no particular order...

Boys - Iolani, Punahou, Moanalua, Kapolei, St. Louis, Lahainaluna

Girls - Lahainaluna, Moanalua, Pearl City, Roosevelt

Also, heard rumblings over the summer that Kamehameha-Kapalama parted ways with their wrestling coach or coaches. Any truth to that? If so, what happened?

Anyhow, gearing up for another exciting season. We'll see how it all shakes out. Best of luck to all the young men and women competing this year.

clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by clappingforyou »

Props to Lahaina for making it in the top 6 despite not being able to field half a boys team. Reputation gives you respect.
Girls team is actually legit though

Opihiman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Opihiman »

I think the rule is you can't be 19 years old when your school year starts. I think you can be 19 and still participate in States unless the OIA has a different criteria. But the Pagurayans will be 18 when the compete in the OIA Championships, and still be 18 years old the day the State Tournament starts. They are contenders.

On the boys side, Iolani graduated a state champ and a state placer. I think the going will be tougher this year with a lot of schools doing the club route and a lot of off season wrestling. I like Campbell and Moanalua, I think St. Louis is going to be a force in the coming years as they got a bunch of young club wrestlers.

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

clappingforyou wrote:Props to Lahaina for making it in the top 6 despite not being able to field half a boys team. Reputation gives you respect.
Girls team is actually legit though
My, bad, I didn't realize the boys team was so shallow. The developmental program they have in place in West Maui is outstanding. You're right, I was absolutely including them based on reputation for fielding big, competitive teams. Estrella should be in the mix for a state title again and they should take the MIL as usual. St. Louis might be a year or two away, but they're building something special over there.

clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by clappingforyou »

Iolani only lost 2 guys...team race is done...

Who's the top 10? That's a better discussion

Opihiman wrote:I think the rule is you can't be 19 years old when your school year starts. I think you can be 19 and still participate in States unless the OIA has a different criteria. But the Pagurayans will be 18 when the compete in the OIA Championships, and still be 18 years old the day the State Tournament starts. They are contenders.

On the boys side, Iolani graduated a state champ and a state placer. I think the going will be tougher this year with a lot of schools doing the club route and a lot of off season wrestling. I like Campbell and Moanalua, I think St. Louis is going to be a force in the coming years as they got a bunch of young club wrestlers.

wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by wrestling808 »

Saint Louis got the lights and the heavies but will need to beef up their middleweights before they can contend.
Although Iolani's coaching staff sucks, they have a good core wrestlers who do well despite the lame coaching.
Campbell had a mass exodus of coaches over the summer. I'm curious to see where they end up.
I have no idea how maui is doing. We'll all see when they do the Ivey and officials tournament.

Girls side teams to look out for will be Kamehameha and Roosevelt. They have a BIG team of girls to fill in almost all the
weight classes. Roosevelt still has most of their core intact. They should take the OIA's.

Teniya Alo appears to have left Iolani. I heard she's at a charter school. Not sure where she'll end up or if she can even
wrestle due to the transfer rules.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

Also, I wanted to congratulate Blaysen Terukina and Cody Cabanban for making the Menlo college boys team.

I know Corbett, Diamond and Sullivan are now teammates. I just forgot the school name. Too many Friday night beers!
Last edited by wrestling808 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

The school is Northern Idaho JC or something along those lines. And Corbett may already have left the school. Congrats to Terukina and Cabanban for making the Menlo team, good to hear about local kids doing well.

I think Teniya Alo might suit up for Kahuku this year if I understood correctly.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

stonecoldstunner wrote:The school is Northern Idaho JC or something along those lines. And Corbett may already have left the school. Congrats to Terukina and Cabanban for making the Menlo team, good to hear about local kids doing well.

I think Teniya Alo might suit up for Kahuku this year if I understood correctly.

Now how is that you can transfer and wrestle if you wrestled the previous year?

I thought that the updated transfer rule states that it was a requirement to sit out a year in the sport that you were participating in when transferring to another school.

clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by clappingforyou »

wrestling808 wrote:
stonecoldstunner wrote:The school is Northern Idaho JC or something along those lines. And Corbett may already have left the school. Congrats to Terukina and Cabanban for making the Menlo team, good to hear about local kids doing well.

Now how is that you can transfer and wrestle if you wrestled the previous year?

I thought that the updated transfer rule states that it was a requirement to sit out a year in the sport that you were participating in when transferring to another school.

A quick look at the rules and you can see why she could wrestle for Kahuku if she is there.

clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by clappingforyou »

Corbett left already? That's weird. Did he even wrestle for them at all?