Wrestling 2016

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Wrestling 2016

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

miyagi wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Kama wrote:Here's a quick overview of the Campbell "Clash". Campbell vs. Moanalua

I really enjoy the format and have been to each of their events since they first began. To begin it was the girls dual. It reminded me of last years tournament when Campbell
went up against Roosevelt and Iolani. Without getting into every single match the final score was 51 - 0 in favor of Moanalua. It's really shocking how far the girls program has fallen.

On the boys side Campbell started out with 2 falls, with Moanalua eventually catching up. The match that I found interesting was at 152. In the 2nd period the campbell wrestler was going for a half and the Moanalua wrestler reached out and begin squeezing the Campbell wrestlers gonads. I don't understand how the ref didn't see it especially when the Campbell kid was yelling "he's grabbing my nuts". The Campbell kid eventually got the Moanalua wrestlers back a laid a nice forearm to the Moanalua kids head. The Campbell wrestler got DQ'd and I kinda thought for a moment we were gonna have a WWE battle royal when the crowd got involved! I can't fault the Campbell kid, if that happened to me I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.

Of course the last match of the evening was between Santos and Garcia in which Garcia won 9 - 7.
@Kama: Shame on that Moanalua kid, grabbing the Campbell kid by the privates. And what's the ref's problem, not noticing especially when the Campbell kid was yelling? I've never seen the fans get into it at a wrestling match, but what that Moanalua kid did could very well start something like that. If there had been a rumble, I think Moanalua may have ended-up losing. I mean, generally speaking, if there's a rumble between Campbell fans/alumni and Moanalua fans/alumni, whom do you think would win?
Mr Miyagi say "No such thing as bad student; only bad teacher"
@miyagi: Would have to disagree with that. Students can be bad, teachers can be bad, anyone can be bad.

miyagi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by miyagi »

"...teacher say, student do"

wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by wrestling808 »

Whats with all of karate kid bullshit? I loved the original then they had to make it politically correct by putting a black fruitcake in the 2010 version. Jackie Chan sucks, Chuck Norris should have been the sensei!!

Now that I got that off my chest....

Between the Campbell kid celebrating the nutcracker and the ILH wrestlers not being worth their weight in bubble gum, don't blame anyone except the wrestlers. If you want to be a good wrestler find the training you need on your own. If your coach sucks, don't listen to them or simply go to another school like Teniya Alo did. Obviously there ain't no transfer regulations in place so whats the excuse? The good wrestlers will rise to the top and the scrubs will be crushed as they deserve to be. For all the goofy coaches reading this, tell the truth to your wrestlers. Tell them that you really don't know much and the only reason you took this job was to stroke your ego. The sense of power you feel makes up for you being a scrub in high school. Tell them how you'll take credit when they win and blame them when they lose. Tell the kids the truth coaches!!!

Merry Christmas Y'all...

Hawaiianeye
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaiianeye »

I also attended this ILH round robin, and it was beyond disappointing. Both boys and girls varsity teams were so limited. Of note puscua of Iolani who was very dominate as expected. On the girls side only notable was Gooman who won all her matches by pin in the first rounds. There seem to be no completion, as the other girl from Kamehameha won her weight class also by pin. And that was Kamehameha s whole girls team. Looked more like intermediate sprinkled with JV!

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by stonecoldstunner »

wrestling808 wrote:Whats with all of karate kid bullshit? I loved the original then they had to make it politically correct by putting a black fruitcake in the 2010 version. Jackie Chan sucks, Chuck Norris should have been the sensei!!

Between the Campbell kid celebrating the nutcracker and the ILH wrestlers not being worth their weight in bubble gum, don't blame anyone except the wrestlers. If you want to be a good wrestler find the training you need on your own. If your coach sucks, don't listen to them or simply go to another school like Teniya Alo did. Obviously there ain't no transfer regulations in place so whats the excuse? The good wrestlers will rise to the top and the scrubs will be crushed as they deserve to be. For all the goofy coaches reading this, tell the truth to your wrestlers. Tell them that you really don't know much and the only reason you took this job was to stroke your ego. The sense of power you feel makes up for you being a scrub in high school. Tell them how you'll take credit when they win and blame them when they lose. Tell the kids the truth coaches!!!

Merry Christmas Y'all...
Just curious, in your opinion, are there any coaches who are doing right by the kids today? If so, would you mind saying who they are? You seem to have a great deal of knowledge and inside information in the arena of Hawaii high school wrestling.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

stonecoldstunner wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:Whats with all of karate kid bullshit? I loved the original then they had to make it politically correct by putting a black fruitcake in the 2010 version. Jackie Chan sucks, Chuck Norris should have been the sensei!!

Merry Christmas Y'all...
Just curious, in your opinion, are there any coaches who are doing right by the kids today? If so, would you mind saying who they are? You seem to have a great deal of knowledge and inside information in the arena of Hawaii high school wrestling.
Stone cold, in case you disagree with my views don't hit me with the stunner! If thats cool here goes.

The issue with coaches is that most have no clue why they are coaching.
* Are you a hands on coach or are you more of an administrator.
* Are you good with first year wrestlers or are you more suited for the experienced wrestler?
* Are you a coach who surrounds themselves with experienced assistants or yes men who do exactly what you tell them.
* Are you a coach that wants to have a good team or create solid individuals which in turn makes up a good team?
* Are you a coach that blames everyone around them for failure or a coach that takes responsibility for it?
* Are you a coach that has to mess with a good wrestlers style in order to put your stamp on them or are you a coach who helps those who really needs it.
* Are you a coach that can help a wrestler get recruited for college or a coach that has no clue?
* Are you a coach that feels threatened by other peoples success?
* Are you a coach that sets yearly goals?
* Are you a coach that watches other coaches to see what they can do to improve?
* Are you a coach that observes the wrestling room and creates systems to minimize the risk of injury?
* Are you a coach that teaches only what you really know or do you teach things you don't understand? (This one is for the coaches who stayed at a Holiday Inn)
* Are you a coach that makes wrestlers stand and face a wall while you preach the gospel? (This ones for Monte) haha!
* Are you a coach that yells at parents to show them who's the boss? (This ones for Monte also) haha!

Very rarely have I seen a coach truly understand why their with a program. A coach has to understand that their job will evolve over time to better fit
the wrestlers they have to work with. A coach needs to surround themselves with assistants that can embrace the overall goal that the coach has set.

There's so much more to add but you get the general idea.

HawaiiWrestlingFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiWrestlingFan »

Why are we talking about this? Shouldn't we be discussing who we think are gonna be the p4p best wrestlers of their weight classes, instead of who's fault is it the coaches or wrestlers for not winning? Let's talk about the wrestlers because the coverage of wrestling in Hawaii is completely pathetic compared too football coverage and other sports. Let's just get back on topic.

Hawaiianeye
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaiianeye »

What a great prerequisite this would be for all coaches.(Wrestling808).If we can find this guy than we have just found Santa Claus! Any way cant agree with you more, finding the right coach at an early age is a huge kuleana for the parents. It seem that Clubs are where correct fundamentals and techniques are instilled in our keikis. I have a 6 and 7 year old that i would like to enroll in a club next year. Have been watching club tournament and talking with other parents trying to make the right decision as to which club or coach to select. You were of no help by not answering stonecoldstunners question! Everyone already knows that Monte is #1 on the bottom of the barrel(except HPD and the PAL program). #2 Coach Charles or just charles who tries to take credit for the Ahlos and Angela Peralta, but everyone knows they were champions before him. #3 wahiawa Wrestling club: dont want my children learnig the limbo by jumping over his stick or under it. So please help me out by recommending at least 3 clubs that you think are the top end and why. right now I m leaning toward Grapplers, Ewa Wrestling, Scorpions. any input would be greatly appreciated.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Hey, you wrestling guys are amazing. Now that football--well, high school football--is over, there's more discussion on this message-board about wrestling than about basketball. I didn't know there was such a strong following for wrestling, here in Hawaii.

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

wrestling808 wrote:
stonecoldstunner wrote:

Merry Christmas Y'all...
Stone cold, in case you disagree with my views don't hit me with the stunner! If thats cool here goes.

The issue with coaches is that most have no clue why they are coaching.
* Are you a hands on coach or are you more of an administrator.
* Are you good with first year wrestlers or are you more suited for the experienced wrestler?
* Are you a coach who surrounds themselves with experienced assistants or yes men who do exactly what you tell them.
* Are you a coach that wants to have a good team or create solid individuals which in turn makes up a good team?
* Are you a coach that blames everyone around them for failure or a coach that takes responsibility for it?
* Are you a coach that has to mess with a good wrestlers style in order to put your stamp on them or are you a coach who helps those who really needs it.
* Are you a coach that can help a wrestler get recruited for college or a coach that has no clue?
* Are you a coach that feels threatened by other peoples success?
* Are you a coach that sets yearly goals?
* Are you a coach that watches other coaches to see what they can do to improve?
* Are you a coach that observes the wrestling room and creates systems to minimize the risk of injury?
* Are you a coach that teaches only what you really know or do you teach things you don't understand? (This one is for the coaches who stayed at a Holiday Inn)
* Are you a coach that makes wrestlers stand and face a wall while you preach the gospel? (This ones for Monte) haha!
* Are you a coach that yells at parents to show them who's the boss? (This ones for Monte also) haha!

Very rarely have I seen a coach truly understand why their with a program. A coach has to understand that their job will evolve over time to better fit
the wrestlers they have to work with. A coach needs to surround themselves with assistants that can embrace the overall goal that the coach has set.

There's so much more to add but you get the general idea.
Agree or disagree, I appreciate a sincere response to my sincere question. That being said, it seems like a pretty solid set of criteria you have for what it takes to be a good coach. If a coach is found that can fit the majority of this list, they are likely to run a successful program at whatever level they are at.

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

HawaiiWrestlingFan wrote:Why are we talking about this? Shouldn't we be discussing who we think are gonna be the p4p best wrestlers of their weight classes, instead of who's fault is it the coaches or wrestlers for not winning? Let's talk about the wrestlers because the coverage of wrestling in Hawaii is completely pathetic compared too football coverage and other sports. Let's just get back on topic.
Okay, let's try to get this started. P4P list for boys, off the top of my head, in absolutely no particular order:
Cabanban
Garcia
Keliinoi
Estrella
Ruiz
Terukina
Nishigaya
Fong
Pascua
Yamashiro
Kim
Stefanelli
Santos
Obra-Nakata
Mimura

And the girls, again in no particular order:

Peralta
Corbett
Carlson
Alo
Navarro
M. Higa
A. Higa
Gooman
Futa
Vierra
Hoshino
Encinas
Ikei
Araki
Mai

Let the discussion begin!

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

Merry Christmas Y'all...
That's so racist, you want an all white Karate Kid!

So Teniya gave up a Iolani education to go some place that has coaches that fall (very very very) short of your coaching requirements and you applaud that? I hope that they fulfill their MMA dreams because you ain't getting rich wrestling, even at the olympic level. Good thing they got a baby factory going and can keep experimenting on new ways to succeed. How are they on finding spopnsors?

Let's really be truthful here- wrestling is just wrestling, it will build great character and open up many opportunities in life, one of which maybe the opportunity to go to college. The sad reality is the importance that coaches and families put on their kids to excel on the mat but not in the classroom (we are not talking C's here). I know of some college coaches that were legitimately interested in some kids but no grades to go to the next level. I also know most of the ILH coaches and kids don’t not put wrestling first but rather their sights are on going to college with wrestling to help them get in or get a scholarship. Maybe the difference between ILH and OIA is brains, it would explain their slow starts and state champion domination???

I do agree that coaches stroking their egos is wrong. But bash on the coaches all you want but I am truly thankful for my son's coaches and all the other coaches whom without there would be no high school wrestling. If you don't get off your okole and contribute to the community in some way you are the problem, even the bad coaches because at least they try (and good for my kid's stats). Do I contribute? yes Do i give a crap if you know? Do I care? LMFAO
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

Opihiman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Opihiman »

* Are you a hands on coach or are you more of an administrator. ADMINISTRATOR
* Are you good with first year wrestlers or are you more suited for the experienced wrestler? FIRST YEAR ... KNOW VERY LITTLE AND WHAT I KNOW IS ALL WRONGLY TAUGHT
* Are you a coach who surrounds themselves with experienced assistants or yes men who do exactly what you tell them. GOT PLENTY OF HELP SOME EXCELLENT WITH COLLEGE WRESTLING EXPERIENCE AND SOME LIKE ME AND KNOW NOTHING AT ALL. I RELY ON OTHER TO DO THE TEACHING.
* Are you a coach that wants to have a good team or create solid individuals which in turn makes up a good team? I SAY ONE THING AND DO ANOTHER, MAKE RULES TO MESS WITH THE KIDS MINDS
* Are you a coach that blames everyone around them for failure or a coach that takes responsibility for it? IF WE WIN IT'S ALL ME, IF WE LOSE IT'S THE KIDS AND PARENTS FAULT
* Are you a coach that has to mess with a good wrestlers style in order to put your stamp on them or are you a coach who helps those who really needs it. I WANT EVERYONE TO DO MY MOVES THE VERY LITTLE I KNOW AND I NEVER GIVE THEM TIME TO PRACTICE THEIR STUFF, I BELIEVE IN DRILLING FOR 2 HOURS STRAIGHT. YOU WILL BE PUNISHED IF YOU DON'T DRILL THE MOVE BEING TAUGHT.
* Are you a coach that can help a wrestler get recruited for college or a coach that has no clue? ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS THAT I LOOK GOOD
* Are you a coach that feels threatened by other peoples success? NO BECAUSE I KICK THEM OUT OF THE ROOM
* Are you a coach that sets yearly goals? BELIEVE, BELIEVE, BELIEVE ... YOU ARE THE BEST
* Are you a coach that watches other coaches to see what they can do to improve? NO NEED OUR SYSTEM IS PROVEN TO BE THE BEST. EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG THEY WORK HARD, THEY LIFT AND THEY DO A LOT OF LIVE WRESTLING ... WE DO THE OPPOSITE NO LIFTING AND NO LIVE WRESTLING.
* Are you a coach that observes the wrestling room and creates systems to minimize the risk of injury? WE DON'T GO LIVE SO HOW CAN WE GET INJURIES. BUT OUR MATS ARE FILTHY AND OUR KIDS THIS SEASON HAVE GOTTEN THINGS LIKE HERPES, IMPETIGO, MRSA, AND RINGWORM
* Are you a coach that teaches only what you really know or do you teach things you don't understand? SEE SECOND QUESTION

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Opihiman wrote:* Are you a hands on coach or are you more of an administrator. ADMINISTRATOR
* Are you good with first year wrestlers or are you more suited for the experienced wrestler? FIRST YEAR ... KNOW VERY LITTLE AND WHAT I KNOW IS ALL WRONGLY TAUGHT
* Are you a coach who surrounds themselves with experienced assistants or yes men who do exactly what you tell them. GOT PLENTY OF HELP SOME EXCELLENT WITH COLLEGE WRESTLING EXPERIENCE AND SOME LIKE ME AND KNOW NOTHING AT ALL. I RELY ON OTHER TO DO THE TEACHING.
* Are you a coach that wants to have a good team or create solid individuals which in turn makes up a good team? I SAY ONE THING AND DO ANOTHER, MAKE RULES TO MESS WITH THE KIDS MINDS
* Are you a coach that blames everyone around them for failure or a coach that takes responsibility for it? IF WE WIN IT'S ALL ME, IF WE LOSE IT'S THE KIDS AND PARENTS FAULT
* Are you a coach that has to mess with a good wrestlers style in order to put your stamp on them or are you a coach who helps those who really needs it. I WANT EVERYONE TO DO MY MOVES THE VERY LITTLE I KNOW AND I NEVER GIVE THEM TIME TO PRACTICE THEIR STUFF, I BELIEVE IN DRILLING FOR 2 HOURS STRAIGHT. YOU WILL BE PUNISHED IF YOU DON'T DRILL THE MOVE BEING TAUGHT.
* Are you a coach that can help a wrestler get recruited for college or a coach that has no clue? ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS THAT I LOOK GOOD
* Are you a coach that feels threatened by other peoples success? NO BECAUSE I KICK THEM OUT OF THE ROOM
* Are you a coach that sets yearly goals? BELIEVE, BELIEVE, BELIEVE ... YOU ARE THE BEST
* Are you a coach that watches other coaches to see what they can do to improve? NO NEED OUR SYSTEM IS PROVEN TO BE THE BEST. EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG THEY WORK HARD, THEY LIFT AND THEY DO A LOT OF LIVE WRESTLING ... WE DO THE OPPOSITE NO LIFTING AND NO LIVE WRESTLING.
* Are you a coach that observes the wrestling room and creates systems to minimize the risk of injury? WE DON'T GO LIVE SO HOW CAN WE GET INJURIES. BUT OUR MATS ARE FILTHY AND OUR KIDS THIS SEASON HAVE GOTTEN THINGS LIKE HERPES, IMPETIGO, MRSA, AND RINGWORM
* Are you a coach that teaches only what you really know or do you teach things you don't understand? SEE SECOND QUESTION
I would add in another thing:

Are you a Cult Leader personality or political intimidator? So that parents will let you abuse your kids physically and mentally? And then misplacedly rally to your defense when you do so and get exposed?

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

twnoexcuses wrote:
Opihiman wrote:* Are you a hands on coach or are you more of an administrator. ADMINISTRATOR
I would add in another thing:

Are you a Cult Leader personality (or have cult leader personality disorder) or political intimidator? So that parents will let you abuse your kids physically and mentally? And then misplacedly rally to your defense when you do so and get exposed?